PS4 kiosks in stores today. Play Octodad and Pinball

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Hilarious. Let's try to sell a next gen console by showing last gen looking indie games. I sometimes wonder who exactly is incharge of their marketing department. Monkeys are my best guess.

Play PS4 at Select Retailers Starting Today

Hard to believe we’re less than a month away from PS4’s launch on November 15th. Exciting! If you just can’t wait to get your hands on a system, I’ve got good news.

Starting today, we’re rolling out PS4 demo kiosks to stores nationwide. The initial wave of PS4 demo units will appear in select Sony Stores, with thousands more added to various retail locations, such as GameStop, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart — among others in the coming weeks.

To find the PS4 demo kiosk nearest you, click the link below. And remember, if you don’t see one nearby, just check back later to see if any have been added to stores in your hometown.

Once you find a kiosk, you’ll be able to sample upcoming PS4 games like Knack, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, FIFA 14, Contrast, Super Motherload, and Pinball Arcade.

Keep an eye out for the kiosk at a store near you, and have fun playing!

Click here to find a store with a kiosk near you: http://experienceplaystation.com/

#2 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Perhaps they aren't willing to put M rated games in kiosks? Killzone is pretty brutal. Or maybe a demo will be added down the line. Time will tell.

I'd like to try all of the games mentioned aside from FIFA (I'm American), but the nearest first wave kiosk is in a Sony Store in Arlington, VA (well out of my way). Hopefully the second wave will put a kiosk or three in my neck of the woods.

I wonder if all those demos will be available on day 1 to PS4 buyers via PSN.

#3 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I am in LA so I will go try it out tomorrow. Knack is the only game I want to try and I am not to thrilled about it. The game selection is terrible.

#4 Posted by Randolph (10345 posts) -

Ugh, lol. WUT?

#5 Posted by RimacBugatti (1170 posts) -

It's about time they put the kiosks out. I just hope they use a game like Killzone Shadowfall.

#6 Posted by DuaIFace (492 posts) -

The only thing I'd walk up to a kiosk for is the feel what the controller is like, and to rummage around
in the console menus for a tick. There won't be shit for games to demo. Like OP stated, what they've
stated would be available is a bunch of shovel-ware-for-the-masses.

#7 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

They made a Deadliest Catch game? On purpose?

Oops. Just realized my mistake there. heh. *feels dumb*

#8 Edited by aroxx_ab (9129 posts) -

Yeah next gen !!! oh wait...Pinball arcade? *cries*...and "Super Motherload" what the heck is that brb...youtube...

#9 Posted by Tqricardinho (340 posts) -

Octodad? Pinball? People want to play Killzone and inFamous...

#10 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@DuaIFace said:

The only thing I'd walk up to a kiosk for is the feel what the controller is like, and to rummage around

in the console menus for a tick. There won't be shit for games to demo. Like OP stated, what they've

The TC confuses Ryse with quality :). Indie games aren't shovelware, though I confess they aren't system sellers either.

#11 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@DuaIFace said:

The TC confuses Ryse with quality :). Indie games aren't shovelware, though I confess they aren't system sellers either.

The TC pretty much shat on Ryse and only praised the graphics of the SP. Hardly confusing it with quality.

#12 Posted by Pedro (20992 posts) -

I am in LA so I will go try it out tomorrow. Knack is the only game I want to try and I am not to thrilled about it. The game selection is terrible.

The game selection as whole is terrible. We would not see anything particularly new or good on both systems for a while.

#13 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

These are great titles that will show off "teh" power of the PS4 and prove that the PS4 is designed for core gamers. Nice job Sony...always over promising and under delivering......just say'n

:-)

#14 Posted by c_rakestraw (14544 posts) -

Octodad's a lot of fun. I didn't think much of it either before trying the demo at E3, but came away loving it. Game's really funny.

#15 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@c_rakestraw: It does look really fun.

Sadly, I checked for the 100 mile radius and apparently there won't be a kiosk here anytime soon. I guess that's what I get for living in such a small rural area (Dallas/Fort Worth).

That's a real bite in the butt too. I really wanna try out that new controller, regardless of the games it has on offer.

#16 Edited by c_rakestraw (14544 posts) -

@c_rakestraw: It does look really fun.

Sadly, I checked for the 100 mile radius and apparently there won't be a kiosk here anytime soon. I guess that's what I get for living in such a small rural area (Dallas/Fort Worth).

That's a real bite in the butt too. I really wanna try out that new controller, regardless of the games it has on offer.

Same here. I'm not even in a rural area, either. They must just be doling them out very steadily.

#17 Posted by BranKetra (47487 posts) -

I went by GameSpot yesterday. There was no PS4 kiosk, but the PS3 and 360 kiosks are gone. It is coming soon.

#18 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

@BranKetra: Pretty sure I read that they'll only be at Sony Stores for the time being, then slowly trickled out to other outlets as time goes on.

#19 Posted by c_rakestraw (14544 posts) -
@Jbul said:

@BranKetra: Pretty sure I read that they'll only be at Sony Stores for the time being, then slowly trickled out to other outlets as time goes on.

Yep. The PlayStation Blog's post on the matter says it's only for select Sony stores for now.

#20 Edited by BranKetra (47487 posts) -

@Jbul said:

Yep. The PlayStation Blog's post on the matter says it's only for select Sony stores for now.

They were cleared out all the same. I imagine there will be something appealing about the new generation.

#21 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I just got to try out the PS4 and it's a terrible demo station. The controller is fantastic, triggers are finally up to standards, face buttons feel as good as always, sticks are wonderful and even the track pad feels nice. The controller is noticeably bigger, mostly around the handles, it's weird cause I have gotten used to the tiny DS pads over the years, it feels more like a 360 one when you simply hold it.

I tried knack, it's as boring as it looked. You have one attack button and r stick dodge, that's the move list. You move down a tiny corridor fighting basic enemies that do major damage but it's all so slow. It felt like I was playing something from the ps1 era. The TV is too close and the settings are kind of off, the game looked grainy, not impressive.

I tried FIFA, I couldn't tell you the difference between it and current gen. The most fun I had was with octodad which is the most absurd game I have played in a long time. The controls themselves are funny, but not something you want to show off.

The entire experience was a buzz kill, I have games that look better and are simply much more fun to play at home. This new generations jump in graphics is pathetic.

#22 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I just got to try out the PS4 and it's a terrible demo station. The controller is fantastic, triggers are finally up to standards, face buttons feel as good as always, sticks are wonderful and even the track pad feels nice. The controller is noticeably bigger, mostly around the handles, it's weird cause I have gotten used to the tiny DS pads over the years, it feels more like a 360 one when you simply hold it.

I tried knack, it's as boring as it looked. You have one attack button and r stick dodge, that's the move list. You move down a tiny corridor fighting basic enemies that do major damage but it's all so slow. It felt like I was playing something from the ps1 era. The TV is too close and the settings are kind of off, the game looked grainy, not impressive.

I tried FIFA, I couldn't tell you the difference between it and current gen. The most fun I had was with octodad which is the most absurd game I have played in a long time. The controls themselves are funny, but not something you want to show off.

The entire experience was a buzz kill, I have games that look better and are simply much more fun to play at home. This new generations jump in graphics is pathetic.

Ding Ding Ding.

Terrible f*cking selection to show off your console.

Funny thing is that aside from KZ, they dont have ANYTHING impressive to show.

#23 Edited by Randolph (10345 posts) -

Sony has more consoles ready, but almost no games. MS has more games, but has much lower stock of consoles. Seems like neither of them was really ready to do this.

#24 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: they need to get nba2k on that immediately!

#25 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@dvader654:

What!!! You couldn't notice " teh" power of the PS4!

Vader, thank you for the feedback. I am going to demo the PS4 tomorrow at a local Sony store. I was a bit bummed to read that you thought your experience was pathetic. Trying to keep an open mind now going into my demo tomorrow.

Regarding graphics....I have been saying this for a long time....That we will not see the same visual leap this generation as we did last. Why? Well last gen we went from standard definition to high definition visuals, which was a dramatic leap for consoles. I suppose we will not see the same visual leap until we go to 4k.

Before I forget did you get a chance to use the PS camera?

#26 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Randolph:

Huh? Sony is sold out of pre-orders.....Best Buy just opened up another round of Xbox One launch day pre-orders.

#27 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Sony has more consoles ready, but almost no games. MS has more games, but has much lower stock of consoles. Seems like neither of them was really ready to do this.

I posted this on a different forum. Cant hurt to post it here. Not all of it may apply to you. :P

Well, the X1 launch line up looks pretty decent actually. They knew there are going to be two big shooters available at launch (CoD and BF4) so they focused on covering all the other basics. Racing Sims don’t get any better than Forza. Killer Instinct, Dead Rising and Ryse all look interesting. Ryse looks beautiful. I am secretly hoping that the SP combat is more refined than the lag infested pos MP I played.

They also have some pretty awesome games on the horizon. Project Spark looks incredible. Titan Fall is going to be the biggest game next year and then you have Witcher 3, Watchdogs and Bungie’s Destiny all coming out next Spring. That’s a pretty fantastic Spring lineup. I mean technically we are getting all these games in the next 6 months or so.

Sony on the other hand, I agree. They fucked up. They put all their faith in the indies and their third party partners. They did not reveal a SINGLE new retail exclusive in four of the biggest events after the reveal. I have no idea how a first party publisher can go GDC, E3,Gamescom and TGS without announcing a single new game from their main studios.

We’ve seen only four exclusives. One of them just got delayed, the other isnt coming out till Fall of next year and the last one is Knack… a game so generic that if they gave it to me for free I would be insulted.

I fear that Sony saw all that positive reaction at the reveal and got complacent. They probably became arrogant and thought they could ride the positive wave/MS’s f*ck ups.

Or worse this problem goes back a few years where they allowed their FOUR biggest studios (ND, QD, PD and SSM) make current gen games for 2013 instead of making them next gen titles. Whoever is incharge of these decisions needs to kick in the balls because they are out of touch with their own consumer.

#28 Posted by Pedro (20992 posts) -

I fear that Sony saw all that positive reaction at the reveal and got complacent. They probably became arrogant and thought they could ride the positive wave/MS’s f*ck ups.

MS is the "underdog" prior to launch, which is good cause it forces them to take measures to validate the purchase of their already expensive system.

#29 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

Project Spark doesn't have a release date, but the Xbone beta (you can apply at the link below) isn't starting until January of next year 2nd quarter 2014 is a safe bet.

https://joinprojectspark.com/

I don't think Sony is complacent, just cautious and unwilling to BS consumers the way they famously did in 2005. Generally speaking Sony has shown launch window games (with exception of The Order and the brief look we got at Media Molecule's PS4 project being two notable exceptions to the rule) while MS has shown games (and CG trailers of said games) which are nowhere near launch window.

#30 Posted by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: Octodad is great; I suggest anyone that owns and good enough PC to download it as it's free.

#31 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

Ahh, Sony.

#32 Edited by Metamania (11955 posts) -

Did you honestly think that the games were supposed to come out looking impressive? I mean, really?

It's going to be awhile before Sony and Microsoft, along with all these other companies, really push the PS4 and Xbox One to their limits graphically.

#33 Edited by Pedro (20992 posts) -

Did you honestly think that the games were supposed to come out looking impressive? I mean, really?

It's going to be awhile before Sony and Microsoft, along with all these other companies, really push the PS4 and Xbox One to their limits graphically.

I think what most people are expecting is something that makes them go WOW! or at least make them excited about the newer systems.

#34 Edited by Metamania (11955 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@Metamania said:

I think what most people are expecting is something that makes them go WOW! or at least make them excited about the newer systems.

I get that, but these are basic games that won't do that for the time being, which is ultimately disappointing, but I still think we can give it a chance, deal with the basics and then go to the really, REALLY cool-looking stuff that's coming down the road in a year or two, more likely four years.

#35 Edited by Planeforger (15401 posts) -

On the plus side, it's good to see Octodad finally hit its stride. I remember that from back when it was a student project...wait, that was only a few years ago? That doesn't sound right...

#36 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Weekend Confirmed was pretty high on Octodad on last week's episode, but let's be real -- you're trying to get people to part with $400 here. That's a tall order for a $10 game to fill. And pinball? Come on! I love me some pinball, but Jesus...

#37 Edited by Randolph (10345 posts) -

@Areez said:

@Randolph:

Huh? Sony is sold out of pre-orders.....Best Buy just opened up another round of Xbox One launch day pre-orders.

I've been hearing nothing but talk of low stock for the Xbone for a while now. Sadly, I can't go with Best Buy, I don't have any near me. If it's online, most of those require a good bit more money up front than I want to/can part with right at this moment.

#38 Edited by Ish_basic (3894 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: Or worse this problem goes back a few years where they allowed their FOUR biggest studios (ND, QD, PD and SSM) make current gen games for 2013 instead of making them next gen titles. Whoever is incharge of these decisions needs to kick in the balls because they are out of touch with their own consumer.

It's not going to be a huge deal until you can walk into a retailer and buy one right off the shelf without a preorder or a call ahead. Most of the PS4s coming out this year have probably already been sold, and the hype, lower price tag, and "grab one when you see one"-mentality should carry them through at least the 1st quarter of next year. By that time you'll likely have infamous and Drive club. This is by no means a great launch for them, but it's not a nightmare, either.

I'm more worried about the long term. What is MS going to do after all the exclusive games they've purchased from third party companies have released? What is MS going to do for exclusives two, three years down the road? We know what Sony is going to do (at least, we think we do). Can MS keep buying exclusives, or will the price become too steep? If next gen goes on as long as this one has, the launch window is a relatively fleeting concern.

#39 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

I think it's pretty fair to expect a $400 product to at least make you say "WOW". To make you think "Oh man, Next-Gen just arrived!". Otherwise, what's the point? Sure, it's not going to be as sharp of an upgrade as it was going to HD from SD like last time. But if you're going to plunk down 400 bones, I think it's reasonable to expect to have that purchase justified.

Just for clarity sake, I'm not saying the PS4 won't WOW it's early adopters. KZ looks great and we all know that plenty of stuff is coming just around the bend (InFamous especially looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it). But speaking purely about the demo kiosk, a device intended to make the people who aren't sold yet say "YES I NEED THIS", I think it's fair to expect the games to look especially good and certainly better than their PS3 counterparts. Otherwise, why put out the display at all? Especially why put out the display without KillZone?

#40 Posted by Randolph (10345 posts) -

Otherwise, why put out the display at all? Especially why put out the display without KillZone?

If they operate their kiosks the way Nintendo does, it will never be in any of them. (seriously, Wii U kiosks are terrible)

#41 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

Otherwise, why put out the display at all? Especially why put out the display without KillZone?

If they operate their kiosks the way Nintendo does, it will never be in any of them. (seriously, Wii U kiosks are terrible)

Well Nintendo has had a lot of hurdles over the past year, that's for sure. But for whatever reason, I don't really think they'll have too much trouble gaining a foothold in the coming year. Call me an optimist if you must, but the main complaint I see about the WiiU is that it doesn't have enough games. A fair point to be sure, but one that will naturally take care of itself over time.

Even for me, someone who is completely done with bouncing on Goombas, Searching for the Morphball upgrade, and Finding the Hookshot, all it would really take is one good Kirby game and I'd be right back there in Nintendo's camp. And moreover, I know it'll get there eventually.

Of course we're talking about kiosks here. And yes, you are correct in saying that their's are abysmal. The only good thing about it is that the controller pad thingy looks like it would feel bulky and cumbersome but it is actually super comfortable. Much to my surprise. So it at the very least served that purpose. And perhaps that's all Sony is really aiming for as well. Just to show off their italicized console and their nifty new Dual Shock. It's a curious move, but they've built up some goodwill so I don't think it'll hurt them too much in the end.

If Microsoft were smart, and let's be honest here they've not done a thing to show us if they are, but if they were then they'd move up their launch a week; put demo kiosks out in every Gamestop before November; and show off some of those delicious brain eating zombies in Dead Rising. Or am I letting my Dead Rising fanboy stripes show again? Darn it all.

#42 Edited by Randolph (10345 posts) -

If I were in charge at MS, the kiosk would have playable Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, and COD: Ghosts. (gotta throw the dudebro's a bone) I like Indie games, I think great stuff will come from them rather quickly. But they will not sell your console.

#43 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Randolph said:

If I were in charge at MS, the kiosk would have playable Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, and COD: Ghosts. (gotta throw the dudebro's a bone) I like Indie games, I think great stuff will come from them rather quickly. But they will not sell your console.

So true.

Although I will say, Transistor is one of the major reasons I'm hyped to have a PS4 in the house. I know it won't be out at launch, but I'm still stoked to play it! But of course, that is neither here nor there.

#44 Posted by c_rakestraw (14544 posts) -
@Randolph said:

So true.

Although I will say, Transistor is one of the major reasons I'm hyped to have a PS4 in the house. I know it won't be out at launch, but I'm still stoked to play it! But of course, that is neither here nor there.

Transistor is one of the games that sold me on the PS4 in the first place. Playing it at E3 only solidified that. So good.

On the matter of kiosks, I think Sony's idea of highlighting indie games through them is a sound one. But without some major first-party games to showcase -- or, hell, even a big-name third-party game that isn't sports -- they're effect is minimal. At least right now, they're best sold as a supplement to the retail games, since those are going to be the deciding factor of whether someone jumps on board with next-gen right of the gate. The indie stuff is best touted to whoever is already sold on the system.

Microsoft also should get some kiosks out soon as well. Letting people try the Xbox One might help remedy the lingering bad press from its reveal. I've heard more than a few anecdotes of people less in the know still thinking the system blocks used games and such. Getting out there front and center might allow them to fix that.

#45 Posted by Randolph (10345 posts) -

My interest in the indie games scene on next gen is focused pretty sharply on the horror/survival horror games. They look absolutely delicious, and consoles have been starved of them for such a long time. Between the pathetic westernized decline of both Silent Hill and Resident Evil, and Nintendo buying the rights to Fatal Frame and then promptly sitting on it, the genre has been basically dead all generation aside from Siren: Blood Curse.

#46 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Randolph said:

My interest in the indie games scene on next gen is focused pretty sharply on the horror/survival horror games. They look absolutely delicious, and consoles have been starved of them for such a long time. Between the pathetic westernized decline of both Silent Hill and Resident Evil, and Nintendo buying the rights to Fatal Frame and then promptly sitting on it, the genre has been basically dead all generation aside from Siren: Blood Curse.

It would be nice to have proper survival horror back again. That would make me happy.

#47 Posted by Metamania (11955 posts) -

@Metamania said:

@dvader654 said:

I think it's pretty fair to expect a $400 product to at least make you say "WOW". To make you think "Oh man, Next-Gen just arrived!". Otherwise, what's the point? Sure, it's not going to be as sharp of an upgrade as it was going to HD from SD like last time. But if you're going to plunk down 400 bones, I think it's reasonable to expect to have that purchase justified.

Just for clarity sake, I'm not saying the PS4 won't WOW it's early adopters. KZ looks great and we all know that plenty of stuff is coming just around the bend (InFamous especially looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it). But speaking purely about the demo kiosk, a device intended to make the people who aren't sold yet say "YES I NEED THIS", I think it's fair to expect the games to look especially good and certainly better than their PS3 counterparts. Otherwise, why put out the display at all? Especially why put out the display without KillZone?

I get that. Killzone is one of their biggest titles to be launched on the system (unless if it got delayed, like how Watch Dogs and now Driveclub has), so it is quite stupid for Sony to not include it in their kiosks and go "This is what you'll be getting instead."

But at the same time, I still stand by my argument. While these are indies games and aren't that impressive at all, chances are the system will turn out to have great games coming in the future, like Transistor. I haven't played it, but Bastion gives me enough faith in Greg Kasavin's company to deliver something truly special on it. I can't wait.

#48 Edited by Pedro (20992 posts) -

I got the opportunity to see and play the PS4 today at the Sony Store. The demos were exactly what was posted on most sites. The only game I played was the good ole faithful Knack. The gameplay is functional, nothing particularly special. The graphics is good but Sonic Genercations looks better. For a demo showcasing the system, it is obvious that this game and all of the other games that are being demoed are not the most ideal software to hype or encourage undecided gamers. The controller on the other hand feels like the best PS controller I have ever held. Its larger and fits comfortably in yours hands. It also have a decent amount of weight to it and does not feel flimsy and cheap like the DS3.