PS4 Kiosk Demo Hands on Impressions (Pics)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

Today I had the opportunity to demo the PS4 at the local Sony store in my area. If I had to use two words to describe my experience with the PS4 I would say, NOT IMPRESSED. With all of the talk of the power of the PS4, I was very disappointed by the games Sony picked to show on the PS4 kiosk. The games did the console no justice, which was a bit surprising, considering all of the talk regarding the PS4s power.

The three games I had the opportunity to demo were, FIFA 2014, Knack and Octodad. Knack was the first game I played, game play seemed fairly simple and visually the game looked like a current gen game. The same held true for FIFA in terms of visuals. Playing Octodad was the last straw for me, and I was quick to turn and the controller over to the kid in line.

For all of the talk of the power of the PS4, they should have at the very least included Kill Zone. Something that would have really captivated those who are trying out the system for the first time.

The best thing about my hands on demo, was the look and feel of the PS4 controller. The controller is a nice improvement over the PS3 and just felt more comfortable in my hands. I suppose that increased size had something to do with that.

Sony has done a lot of things right this console gen, this Kiosk is not one of them.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#2 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

So... any thoughts on the games you played other than their visuals?

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Areez

@c_rakestraw:

Knack was probably the best of the bunch. I m not a big platform action type of guy. The game was simple, very easy to pick up and play. I used the square button to attack and could use a special dodge move when the right thumb stick icon popped up. Enemies seemed easy...The controls felt good, and the use of the left thumbstick, buttons etc felt very comfortable....No camera issues, character movement was smooth...The game should appeal to a wide audience as it is very easy to pick and play...

The pictures I took were from my Galaxy S4. The two pictures of knack were taken while someone else ahead of me was playing....And I m holding the controller in that pic

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Any use of the touchpad on any of the games or the interface yet?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69087 Posts

My experience at the Sony store is more or less the same except I think that Sonic Generations is a better looking game than Knack.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Areez

@chaplainDMK:

No did not have the opportunity to use the touch pad nor see the UI. The interface was a menu screen with title displays of the game demos. Overall the kiosk experience was lack luster at best. If a casual consumer walks into a Gamestop, and MS has playable demos of Forza 5, Ryse, and K.I...said consumer will more than likely come away more impressed with Xbox One demo. Sony has done a lot of things right this gen, this kiosk is not one of them. Frankly it does little to compell a casual consumer to buy a PS4. It almost makes the argument that one should wait to upgrade to next gen.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#7  Edited By AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Everyone kind of knows this already from the announced games on the demo kiosks, not sure why you seem surprised. I agree they screwed the pooch on their choice though, but i'm not sure at this point it would make too much difference, we'll see.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. As the days progress I'm more and more leaning towards cancelling my PS4 preorder and getting an Xbox One. Other than KZSF I'm not impressed with the launch at all. BF4 and COD Ghosts I was going to get for PC anyways and without Driveclub I just don't see any point in getting PS4 at launch. I have to admit that after all the hype I'm very disappointed at best. Too bad Microsoft didn't just drop the Kinect and then my choice would have been much easier at this point.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Me need to get my hands on Ryse very soon chana saga.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Killzone does look good, and Knack sounds to be a really nice game to try

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

@Areez said:

@chaplainDMK:

No did not have the opportunity to use the touch pad nor see the UI. The interface was a menu screen with title displays of the game demos. Overall the kiosk experience was lack luster at best. If a casual consumer walks into a Gamestop, and MS has playable demos of Forza 5, Ryse, and K.I...said consumer will more than likely come away more impressed with Xbox One demo. Sony has done a lot of things right this gen, this kiosk is not one of them. Frankly it does little to compell a casual consumer to buy a PS4. It almost makes the argument that one should wait to upgrade to next gen.

Where can you demo Ryse?

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Areez

@AzelKosMos:

Well what many may not know is how unimpressive the graphics looked in these games. I mean for all of the marketing Sony has drummed up over the power of the PS4, the games did not show this. Visually the games looked slightly, emphasis on slightly better, than current gen games on both consoles.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Areez

@Pedro:

Well you can only demo Ryse MP on the Xbox One tour....I was alluding to a MS store Kiosk potentially having Ryse as a demo

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@Areez said:

@Pedro:

Well you can only demo Ryse MP on the Xbox One tour....I was alluding to a MS store Kiosk potentially having Ryse as a demo

I have been to one of the tour buses but they only had Forza and Killer Instinct.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Areez

@Pedro:

Really? No Ryse? You didnt seem that impressed with the Xbox One tour bus kiosk either....from what I remember.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

That really is a terrible kiosk. At least have a playable demo that showcases something leaps and bounds better than your older and much cheaper hardware.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Areez said:

@c_rakestraw:

Knack was probably the best of the bunch. I m not a big platform action type of guy. The game was simple, very easy to pick up and play. I used the square button to attack and could use a special dodge move when the right thumb stick icon popped up. Enemies seemed easy...The controls felt good, and the use of the left thumbstick, buttons etc felt very comfortable....No camera issues, character movement was smooth...The game should appeal to a wide audience as it is very easy to pick and play...

The pictures I took were from my Galaxy S4. The two pictures of knack were taken while someone else ahead of me was playing....And I m holding the controller in that pic

So about what we all expected. Standard console launch fare.

Did the game seem to preform well? I've heard talk that recent demos haven't been running especially smooth.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Areez

@Randolph:

Exactly my point....and Octodad was dreadful

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Areez

@c_rakestraw:

No issues with the demos...they all ran smooth...load times from demo to interface were longer than I expected...So when I hit the home button to exit a demo, the load time was a bit longer than I would have expected. But its a demo soooo...

EnderX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By EnderX
Member since 2013 • 42 Posts

So did they run in 1080p at least? Or are they all 720p upscaled to 1080p?

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Areez

@enderx:

I believe they were 1080p

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

What the hell is Octodad?

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Areez

@Metamania: You do not want to know....It is one of the games that is being demoed on the PS4 kiosk....

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Metamania said:

What the hell is Octodad?

It's a game wherein you play as an octopus pretending to be a human -- poorly. His movement is purposely awkward and imprecise, causing all sorts of things in the environment to be knocked around a bunch. So it's basically a game revolving around slapstick comedy. It's really crazy and a lot of fun.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

I like how Sony has been taking their foot off the pedal while Microsoft has been pushing really hard, i guess it goes to show that Sony is in a comfortable spot, hence the complacency, also i am assuming the reason they chose a Sport game, a platformer and a quirky game is to appeal to a mix of casuals and core players, they believe the hardcore people already know what to expect. While it may be a reasonable strategy, it could become problematic for them

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

The reason why they don't have Killzone as a playable demo is because of the all the kids who'll play the kiosk, it's rated M for mature. They can't use it.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Areez

@23Jarek23:

They could issue a disclaimer....

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@23Jarek23 said:

The reason why they don't have Killzone as a playable demo is because of the all the kids who'll play the kiosk, it's rated M for mature. They can't use it.

They can have a partially interactive level like the beginning of the demo showed at PS4 announcement.