PS4 is selling better than other Sony consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68569 posts) -

Here you can compare the earlier consoles, and keep in mind that PS2 is the best selling console so far.

PlayStation:

4 months (one territory) – March 31st, 1995 – 0.85 million

10 months – September 30th, 1995 – 1.77 million

16 months – March 31st, 1996 – 4.26 million

22 months – September 30th, 1996 – 8.07 million

28 months – March 31st, 1997 – 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) – March 31st, 2000 – 1.41 million

7 months (one territory) – September 30th, 2000 – 3.52 million

13 months – March 31st, 2001 – 10.61 million

19 months – September 30th, 2001 – 19.58 million

22 months – December 30th, 2001 – 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month – December 31st, 2006 – 1.7 million

4 months – March 31st, 2007 – 3.5 million

7 months – June 30th, 2007 – 4.2 million

10 months – September 30th, 2007 – 5.5 million

13 months – December 31st, 2007 – 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day – November 16th, 2013 – 1 million

2 weeks – December 1st, 2013 – 2.1 million

1 month – December 28th, 2013 – 4.2 million

3 months – February 8th, 2014 – 5.3 million

Link

#2 Posted by Randolph (10325 posts) -

It's all about the price point, and the great word of mouth. $399 is a great price for a brand new system, especially when it can boast being a bit more powerful than it's closest competitor for $100 less. (and being leaps and bounds more powerful than Wii U for only $100 more.) Then the absolutely staggering PR nightmare of the initial Xbox One reveal is still hurting MS, and benefiting Sony. (the "how to share a game" video was pure brilliance)

#3 Posted by Pedro (20969 posts) -

I don't understand how this is selling so well when it has been out of stock for the past two months in my area and the entire state(search for nearest location with availability).

#4 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Pedro said:

I don't understand how this is selling so well when it has been out of stock for the past two months in my area and the entire state(search for nearest location with availability).

they restock every week on Sunday at Bestbuy in my area and other retailers midweek. it gets sold out within a day. no idea why the demand is so high.

#5 Posted by Randolph (10325 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Over here it's been getting replenished stock pretty regularly. It still sells out constantly, more so since tax returns started going out, but it gets restocked twice a week as well. Finding one isn't THAT hard anymore. At least here.

#6 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Amazing how slow PS2 started off. PS3 was a monster out of the gate too and that tailed off.

#7 Posted by bezza2011 (2165 posts) -

This is normal for the best console out.

But the truth is, there are more gamers out there now than there ever was, Gaming at the point of when the PS1 came out was aimed at kids with the snes and mega drive, ps1 gave it a bit of a mature feel to it, which child gamers grew up with, and so on and so on, nearly 15 years later since then we have all grown up and continued playing, and alot of us are older than teenagers and well on out way, this in turn allowed many of us to have children and enjoy gaming, they grew up and bought consoles, so in the 15years of gaming when it really took off, it's just boomed and this is what we have, i can see it beating the ps2 easily this gen,

#8 Posted by Jacanuk (3470 posts) -

@Pedro said:

they restock every week on Sunday at Bestbuy in my area and other retailers midweek. it gets sold out within a day. no idea why the demand is so high.

The demand is high because its a great console and its leaps ahead of its competitors and also because Microsoft showed unprecedented arrogance and kicked a huge amount of gamers straight in the face. Just because they didn´t live in NA or a few select european countries.

#9 Edited by stizzal13 (540 posts) -

@Randolph said:

It's all about the price point, and the great word of mouth. $399 is a great price for a brand new system, especially when it can boast being a bit more powerful than it's closest competitor for $100 less. (and being leaps and bounds more powerful than Wii U for only $100 more.) Then the absolutely staggering PR nightmare of the initial Xbox One reveal is still hurting MS, and benefiting Sony. (the "how to share a game" video was pure brilliance)

That's a great summary. Sony has gained a lot of momentum from the competitive position of the PS4. If it can string together some hits with what games are coming down the pipeline, then it will continue to do great in sales. The big x-factor for Microsoft is Titanfall. Depending on the reception of that game, the X1 may not be able to close the gap any time soon.

#10 Edited by tempura13 (406 posts) -

Numbers will only grow when the PS4 launches in Japan. Curious how well it'll be received there.

#12 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

PS4 is currently outpacing the original wii and even XB1 has managed to outsell its predecessor(despite all the negative press). So much for console gaming is dying because wii-u can't sell.

#13 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68569 posts) -

@Randolph said:

It's being sold out here everywhere in Europe

#14 Posted by HipHopBeats (2811 posts) -

The real question is, what the hell are all these people currently playing? Shadowfall? Resogun? Knack? Lol! As of now both PS4 and X1 sucks because of weak launch line ups. Until the exclusive system sellers launch, I see no reason to fork over $500 - $600 to go next gen.

#15 Posted by Ish_basic (3863 posts) -

The real question is, what the hell are all these people currently playing? Shadowfall? Resogun? Knack? Lol! As of now both PS4 and X1 sucks because of weak launch line ups. Until the exclusive system sellers launch, I see no reason to fork over $500 - $600 to go next gen.

Personally, I'm playing PC games. But I expected to not have much to play for awhile on the new consoles going in, so I'm not disappointed. The delays haven't made me too happy, but so it goes. Still, I don't see the price dropping before the games I want start to come out, so it makes sense to me to spend $1100 during a period where I'm buying less games than paying that much during a period where i'm buying more games.

#16 Edited by Glitter (332 posts) -

Numbers will only grow when the PS4 launches in Japan. Curious how well it'll be received there.

I am curious also, considering that although they will have some Japanese exclusive games for the PlayStation 4 over there, there is still more western support for the PlayStation 4, over Japanese support it seems; so I am curious to see how the PlayStation 4 sells without enough Japanese orientated games over there.

#17 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25361 posts) -

PS2-PS4 comparison is somewhat skewed due to territories. But anyway. It's even outpacing the $250 for-everyone-even-the-elderly Wii by miles. This sudden explosion of competence is nice to see from the company that gave us the PS3 and Vita, good for them.

#18 Posted by Ish_basic (3863 posts) -

PS2 numbers are kinda gimped from all the manufacturing issues they had. That one probably would be holding a lot of records if they produced them as quickly as they're producing PS4s. That's the real victory for Sony here. Whatever is creating this demand is all well and good, but capitalizing on that demand to post these numbers they're posting is all about their manufacturing arm kicking ass.

#19 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

If they are part of the rare subset of gamers that only plays exclusives perhaps. Judging by sales numbers quite a few are playing AC4, FIFA, NBA2K, Battlefield (somehow), Tomb Raider and of course CoD.

#20 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
@glitter said:
@tempura13 said:

I am curious also, considering that although they will have some Japanese exclusive games for the PlayStation 4 over there, there is still more western support for the PlayStation 4, over Japanese support it seems; so I am curious to see how the PlayStation 4 sells without enough Japanese orientated games over there.

Japan has been handheld land for a generation and is transitioning to mobile (Capcom announced they are putting all of the profits from the 3DS version of Monster Hunter into a mobile studio). The PS4 might put up good numbers in Japan, but I don't believe it can reverse the trend.

#21 Posted by special-ops (110 posts) -

PS2 sold 155 million,PS1 sold 102.49 million,PS3 sold 80 million and now this year PS4 sold 5.3 million but my favorite Playstation console is PS2,PS3 and PS4