PS2 wide screen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#1 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Is there a way to display PS2 game in widescreen format with out stretching the image?
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 BobSacamento
Member since 2003 • 4340 Posts
need the component cables
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BobSacamento
they're like $0.01 on ebay
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vashkey

I thought component cables just bumped the image up to 480P, not make it widescreen.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BobSacamento

something to do with resolutions you cant get the proper aspect through regular ps2 A/V cables

or i could be completely wrong

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vashkey
Well, I do have Component cable, so do I have to mess around in the menu or do the cables to autamatically make it widescreen(without stretching the image).
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BobSacamento

you have the ps2 component cables with the 5 inputs? the blue, green, red, red, white?

make sure your ps2 is set to widescreen, set the game to progressive scan if it has it

most importantly make sure your tv is set to the proper ratio

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vashkey
What do you mean, proper ratio? Sorry for all the questions.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 vashkey

And does setting the PS2 to 16:9 mean all the games will be displayed as such?

And another question, this isnt the PS2, but I do have a Gamecube game that can do progressive scan. Metal Gear Solid the Twin Snakes, but I have no idea how to do it. I can't find the option in the menus.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BobSacamento

well first of all, if your using a widescreen tv chances are its high def - and you should be using component cables anyway

if you dont use component cables on an LCD or Plasma TV, the image will become very distorted and icky -

then stretching it to widescreen on top of that will make it an uber-bad picture

if you have them there just plug it in

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BobSacamento

if you have it all setup right, it should look even better

i played god of war 2 and ff12 recently on my LCD - unreal

and with the ps2, if its a widescreen game like ff12 - you'll have to set the ps2 AND the game to widescreen

so go into the ps2 menu, switch to 16:9, accept

go into the game options and switch to widescreen

there arent that many ps2 games that have a native widescreen resolution

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vashkey

So if the game doesn't have a wide screen option on it's own, does that mean is being stretched to fit the screen?

I have Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy X, MGS 2 and 3. None seem to have a wide screen option in the menus.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BobSacamento

technically you should get the "black bars" but i dont think you do

im not too sure about any of this stuff man ive really only started widescreen gaming with the 360

but yeah as long as you have it hooked up via component cables, you shouldnt be getting any distortion

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Short answer no... Long answer is that you are at the mercy of the game developer. If the game developer cheats and just crops the game for it's 16:9 option, then that's what you get... a chopped picture (Tekken 5 did that). The PS2 doesn't really support 16:9, what is typically done is the game maker squishs the picture (making the 4:3 mode tall and thin), and when you put a 16:9 TV into Full mode, it ends up unsquishing it, which results in a 16:9 screen (and more horizontal viewing area). Thing is, not all game makers do that, some just crop the picture, instead. And most just don't bother with the option and lock you into 4:3 mode. And some go truely screwy.... such as FF12. Gameplay was done correctly, but all the FMV cutscenes were surrounded by frames with 16:9 mode activated.

Also, PS2 on Component cables does not lock the TV into a format display. Unlike a HD cable box, you should still have access to your TV's resizing functions. So, it becomes your choice on games that only display in 4:3, if you want to activate some other viewing mode, such as 'widezoom' if you have a Sony TV (different tv companies use different names.) Or just put the set into 4:3 mode and live with the bars on either side of your set. As for PS2 games that support 16:9 you must put your TV on Full mode, or the picture will be stretched wrong.

Another note... doesn't matter if you use the standard RCA type cables, S-video, or buy component. The PS2 reacts the same for all of them. Only thing that's really different is that the component looks 10 times clearer than RCA and 2x clearer than S-video; and component cables allow you to activate progressive scan mode for the few games that support it. But progressive scan can be a problematic for some older sets. For example, my '91 rear projection Sony HDTV, has no horizontal screen adjustment, and activating progressive scan usually causes the picture to shift a bit, causing a small bar on one side of the picture. Tomb Raider Legends is worse, that game will go into some wierd 4:3 mode, which results in the whole game being framed by bars, much like the cutscenes of FF12. Although, I suspect that's purely a problem with the game itself, and not my TV...

Sherpico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sherpico
Member since 2006 • 6805 Posts

And does setting the PS2 to 16:9 mean all the games will be displayed as such?

And another question, this isnt the PS2, but I do have a Gamecube game that can do progressive scan. Metal Gear Solid the Twin Snakes, but I have no idea how to do it. I can't find the option in the menus.

vashkey

Gamecube. You need a component cable. The game has to support 480p progressive scan. Bootup the console with the game inside it, depressing the b button on your controller for about 3-5 seconds i'd say. A menu screen should pop up asking you if you want to enable progressive scan.

Ps2. Go into the menu options enable Full Screen.