PS2: Shin Megami Tensei Series

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Mau-Justice (4907 posts) -

Hi guys,

I recently got into this series and I am hooked. I have a few questions though...

1) Which games connect storywise?
2) Nocturne is the one that has Dante?
3) Does the Digital Devil Saga have the monster collection aspect?

#2 Posted by Lach0121 (9871 posts) -

All the games of the same names connect.

Digital Devil saga 1 &2 are connected.

Devil summoner has 2 games in the series, only one was released in the States though (I think)

Persona 1,2,3,4 are connected I believe.

Nocturn I want to say is an isolated story not connected to the rest of the SMT games. (Dante' IDK)

Most SMT games focus on "recruiting/capturing" monsters and whatnot to fight with.

Hope this helps.

#3 Posted by jt4mtb (2352 posts) -

Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 are connected; DDS2 is a direct continuation from where DDS1 ends.

Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs The Soulless Army and DS Raidou Kuzunohao vs King Abbadon feature the same protagonist and a couple returning characters, but are not connected in story at all. Neither are connected storywise to the first two Devil Summoner games on the Saturn that never were released in the US.

SMT Nocturne is technically the third game in the core SMT series (1 & 2 were on the Super Famicom, and never released outside of Japan). Nocturne is set a number of years after the events of 2, though you don't need to know the story of 2 to play Nocturne. Yes, Dante was in the US release of the game.

The Persona games for the most part have separate stories; the only ones with a connected story is Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment. Persona 3 and 4 do take place in the same world, but again their stories are separate enough that you don't need to have played 3 before 4.

#4 Posted by Mau-Justice (4907 posts) -
Wow, very helpful. Thanks a lot guys. Guess I'll start with Nocturne until I can snag a copy of the first Devil Summoner. That's the only one I'm missing.
#5 Posted by King9999 (11835 posts) -

Nocturne is awesome. I got it off eBay for $70 years ago, but it was well worth it.

I would say that the Persona games are connected. P1 and P2 are definitely connected; P3 and P4 not so much, although certain P4 characters will make references to P3 characters. You won't miss critical plot details by not playing any of the games in order.

The SMT games are the same, but if you play them, you will have a better understanding of a certain event in Nocturne, which ends up being pretty cool.

#6 Posted by fend_oblivion (6151 posts) -

Wow, very helpful. Thanks a lot guys. Guess I'll start with Nocturne until I can snag a copy of the first Devil Summoner. That's the only one I'm missing.Mau-Justice

Dante is recruitable in SMT III : Nocturne. If you know Japanese, you can get the Japanese version of the game that has Raidou (protagonist from Devil Summoner) instead of Dante.

Dante is based on the DMC 2 design. As much as I love his inclusion, the only thing that bummed me out was the fact that there is no Devil Trigger form for him :(

Oh and the Digital Devil Saga games do not have recruitable monsters aka, demons. You have only your party members. It has a Grid System of leveling up similar to the Sphere Grid System in Final Fantasy X :)