(PS2) Help! My PS2 can't play PS1 games!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thespicemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 thespicemaster
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Can anyone help me on this? Since the PS2 is backwards compatible with the PS1, it naturally would read PS1 games. My friend gave me GTA I and GTA II for PS1 and then I put them in my PS2, as I went to the browser, it said "disc read error". Can anyone help me?

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

first, are the discs clean and w/o any scratches? 2nd how old is your ps2? It may be worn out and just have trouble reading CDrom games. Most new-er ps2 games are on DVDROM not CDROM like PS1 games. do you have any older ps2 games? like Twisted Metal Black, Virtua Fighter 4, games that have a purple color to the disc instead of shiny silver. If your ps2 can play PS2 games (new and old) then the ps1 games you tried are just too scratched to work.

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

Are the disc the same region as your PS2? Usually somewhere on the disc it'll say "NTSC-UC" which is for North America

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

It could be that your PS2 cd rom reader is just failing. My fat PS2 done the same thing, except it makes a screeching sound whilst the CD is spinning..

Thorpe89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#5 Thorpe89
Member since 2004 • 16905 Posts

Looks like the disc drive is on its way out. Mine stopped reading CD-ROM titles (the blue or purple sided PS2 discs also) but was still able to read DVD-ROM titles fine for a while.

thespicemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 thespicemaster
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

first, are the discs clean and w/o any scratches? 2nd how old is your ps2? It may be worn out and just have trouble reading CDrom games. Most new-er ps2 games are on DVDROM not CDROM like PS1 games. do you have any older ps2 games? like Twisted Metal Black, Virtua Fighter 4, games that have a purple color to the disc instead of shiny silver. If your ps2 can play PS2 games (new and old) then the ps1 games you tried are just too scratched to work.

Talldude80

My PS2 can still play PES 2010 (a new game) and can still play some older games (such as FIFA 06, GTA SA, etc) and probably a majority of PS2 games. However, whenever I push the blue button, the tray opens fine, but makes a horrible sound (like a rabbid shepherd dog). It can't read blue disc games, and that PS2 actually wasn't mines, it was my friend's PS2 as he got a PS3, hopefully it does not die. It can still read grey disc games though. The PS2 is 5 years old btw.

kevinxma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 kevinxma
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts

This is a very common problem with the "fat" ps2. I have the same problem, blue discs takes 2 tries to get it to work.

Ps1 games on the other hand is a diffrent story. even if the game has little to no scratches it will have problems reding the disc. Some times it will work, but you'll have to try multiple times before it will work.

The slim one doesn't have the same problem from what i've heard.

But yeah there's really not much you can do about it i think.....

pride93x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pride93x
Member since 2010 • 116 Posts
Are you sure that the games are not... you know... "fakes"... (please don't ban me)
Tano218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tano218
Member since 2010 • 1505 Posts

ok..........my ps2 didnt read ps1 games or blue sided disks

my best advice is 2 clean the lens if you are willing 2

after i buffed the lens it red ps1 disks but still no blue sided disks

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Looks like a fat PS2 letting someone down again. There are some disc read error fixes, but its not guaranteed to work. My fat PS2 never read PSone discs after a certain point, and after some time it finally died on me. Simply got a Slim and never had an issue.

SNESRadio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SNESRadio
Member since 2010 • 91 Posts
I honestly went through two fat PS2's back then because of that same issue, after the second one we decided to just wait it out and get the new slim model once it came out. I'm glad that we did, it still partially works to this day. Only issue that I have is I have to sometimes close the lid down with slight force to make it read a disk. Sucks, but hey least it works.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

its a common issue with the PS2, I personally went through 3 PS2s (I liked the PS2 that much , most consoles would have been out the door by then) exactly because of the disc read error.

it basically means , your PS2 isn't going to work for much longer, you could send it to repair, though buyng a new one is probably better.