PS1 game doesn't work on PS2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KirbyPlatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 KirbyPlatinum
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

Hey there. I tried running a brand new original Final Fantasy IX game on my PS2 today,because PS1 games are supposed to work on PS2 and stuff.But when I play the game,it seems like the discs stops running or something,because after a while it changes to a screen with "Insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 disc" or something like that.My PS2 has just one year since I brought it,and it's a 90000-1 version if I'm not mistaken.What can I do?

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Bad disc.

Try cleaning the disc, or if you havent used the ps2 in a while try cleaning the disc reading lense with a q tip. But do it very gently.

If that doesnt work, then I'm sure the ps1 disc is damaged.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

try some other PS1 games. It could be your laser. My old ps2 doesnt run ps1 or oldps2 games very well. I may be wrong, but I see it as 2 lasers. 1 for DVD games (newer ps2 games) and 1 laser is just compact disc (older ps2 games and all ps1 games). The discs that are purple or black on the bottom are usually CDROM. while the discs that are shinny on the bottom are usually DVDrom (they often say on the case or disc DVD)

KirbyPlatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KirbyPlatinum

Thanks for the tips,but I don't really know if the problem is the game.I mean,now I've tested the 4 discs(FFIX comes with 4 discs),but tomorrow I will test with another as well,since you guys think it is the disc.None of them worked,but they did work in a emulator(I only used it to test,I don't intend to use it at all).And,yeah, the games I tried are CDs not DVDs,so maybe it is the laser.I've tried running Audio Cds before and it worked,dunno if it has anything to do.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Even the new 9001 series of Playstation 2 slimlines have trouble with some PS1 games. Sony has a list of uncompatible Playstation 1 games with PS2 3500/5001/7001/9001 series of PS2 consoles.

Rascal is one PSone game that must be played on an original Playstation/PSone console. There are a few Games which are totally not playable on PS2. If I remember correctlyYour Final Fantasy game is one such title.

KirbyPlatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KirbyPlatinum

I see.Well,that's strange,the only list I've found,except for the ones on Sony website is this one:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

...and there is nothing about 90001 in there.

If you know where to find the list,could you show me?

daveyf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 daveyf03
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts

I know that Final Fantasy ix does play on a PS2, because I have done it. It may be the model ps2 you have maybe?

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
I had all sort of DREs when trying to get PS1 discs to play on my PS2 until I cracked it open and really cleaned it out.
ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
Don't think so, but ps2 can read movie disc! I think was hold the on button! Normally DVD disc only.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

That happened to me with a perfectly fine Dino Crisis 2 disc. Idk if the game can or can't run on PS2, but FFIX for sure should be able to.

KirbyPlatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KirbyPlatinum

I guess I will try cleaning it inside then.Does anybody know how should I do this cleaning? I don't wanna end up messing my console...

SpikeyAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpikeyAss
Member since 2011 • 221 Posts

First off, PS1 games are CD format: PS2 silver-bottom discs are DVD format. CD format discs are lighter than regular DVD's, thus making them harder to read because they have to be spun much faster for the laser to read them.

After a while your PS2 will not be able to spin at such high speeds. Adding weight will make your PS2 read it like a DVD, hence the creation of the 'tape trick'. By taking two 1-inch long pieces of scotch tape and putting them on opposite sides of the CD (as close to the hole in the middle as possible), the PS2 will have a much easier time reading discs. The two symmetric pieces of tape will make it so the CD balances it self on the laser, making it easier to be read by the laser. I wouldn't recommend this. Sure, it works, but there are negatives associated with it, as there is to any 'home fix' - it's only a temporary fix, and it will wear out your laser a lot faster.

The better alternative is to just open up your console and fix it. The problem is likely that your laser is out of allignment by just a little bit. I have had this same problem on a few PS2's, and realigning the laser has worked for me every time.

So here's what I'd recommend doing - the first three steps aren't required, but you would be to wise to follow them as they'll help prevent more problems occuring in the future

1 - Clean out any dust. It's probably full of dust; trust me when I say, consoles can get awfully dirty, even if you just leave them sitting unused. Use something along the lines of a damp cloth, and even a hoover if necessary.

2 - Clean the laser. I would recommend using a cotton bud, dipped in isopropyl alcohol (but not so much that it's dribbling-wet, just a little). Use that and dab it onto the lens, and then then very gently move the swab across the lens.

If you don't have any isopropyl alcohol and don't want to buy any, then, while it's definitely not as effective, water is an alternative. You could even use a cloth as an alternative to a cotton bud, but you'd need to be very gentle with it.

3 - Relubricate the sled rails on the traverse. I'd recommend bulb grease. You can use butter/margerine, but this means you'll need to be careful not to get any of it on any electrical connections.

4 - Finally, it's time to realign your laser. Here's a guide - http://arstechnica.com/gaming/guides/2003/11/ps2-repair-guide.ars/2

SpikeyAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpikeyAss
Member since 2011 • 221 Posts

Also, it can't be your game's fault. If it was the game it'd hang up on a black screen. It wouldn't go to the 'Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 Format Disc' screen. And anyway, as you say, the disc is in great condition.

KirbyPlatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KirbyPlatinum

Ok. Thanks for the messages everyone,my game is already working,but it seems the problem wasn't dust or anything,I just needed to hold the on button a bit longer,around 5 seconds(ycdeo's message made me try that).In the end it was a pretty stupid thing,but this cleared things up.I ended up cleaning my console thanks to SpikeyAss tips, so it was a good thing. Thanks!