Practice, Plan & Improvise

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The video is just there for decoration, You don't have to watch it.

Anyway, I'm curious about everyone's Proficiency ALL 3 of these methods.

Practice - I have no problem with repetition, I frequently replay many of my games seeing if I can do things much faster, in fewer tries or If I can do it drunk off my ass. My favourite Practice Game is DiRT 3

Planning - I can plan, I'm sure everyone can. However I'm not good at this not because my planning sucks. Its actually because I the Execution of plans is so boring and tedious most of the time. This one time I got bored of sticking to the script that I go off script and try to rush the plan or do something new just break the tedium, Usually this ends in Failure..... Planning Sucks.... FYI I probably don't need to say this but considering the IQ of this place I think I should say it anyway: You must have some knowledge of what it is thats waiting for before you can plan and prepare for it. Playing a scenario before hand and failing then trying again with a plan isn't actually planning, its Practice, and its crappy Practice at that.

Improvise - I suck at improvising... but damn I love it so damn much, especially in games where I can play them over and over that it still feels like Improvisation. :p Ironically Racing games can also be Improvisational, thats how random Power Ups work in Karting Games.

Before anybody gets any bright ideas about Nominating The Soul's Games under Planning then Think Again. Its not improvising either as yo do actually need to be prepared for certain encounters. Unfortunately you need to be prepared without much of a plan.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

All 3 of them are a piece of cake for me. Especially, improvising.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Two threads on the same topic?

-Byshop

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#4 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Practice - I tend to enjoy practice type games and playing quick short levels/stages/tracks and having to optimize them. If I gather that a game falls into this category, I tend to just explore what the level has to offer before pushing the limits. I'll be more cautious or even improvise on an early run and then strive to go HAM later if I'm really enjoying the level. In a way it ties to planning and improvisation too, then I go for practice if I feel the game suits/rewards it with good mechanics and some robust leaderboard.

Planning - This is really dependent on the feedback given from the game. Most games are either basic at attempting this, or just bad at encouraging this. Strategy games excel by default because the UI and the genre is designed around this form of play. The better action games allow you to preview telegraphs and attack patterns before going in. RPGs tend to just be bad for the most part at communicating this without the use of some skillcheck or something. But I do like it when a game gets this right and rewards the player using this method of play.

Improvisation - Probably my least favourite in singleplayer and relying on this just leads me to do stupid things, make a mistake and just fail. I just dislike the randomness it encourages, the lack of satisfaction of improvised difficulty and just the feeling of novelty when games try and encourage this. But in a multiplayer game, I love it because it's a two way improvisation between other players trying to improvise as well.