Post Your Favorite Coin-op/Arcade Game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gr8scott (1008 posts) -

Hello everyone. I was trying to find the right place to put this topic would be. I know that many of us have played games at the arcade. We have all dropped quarters into these coin-op systems. I wanted to get everyone's feedback on what your favorite arcade game is. I'm not looking for the best arcade game, I want to hear what is your favorite arcade game and why. I know there are many to pick from. From games like Gauntlet to Mortal Kombat.

#2 Posted by Orasion_Seiz (6594 posts) -
I have spent hundreds of tokens playing house of the dead (1,2,3,4)
#3 Posted by reperman (36 posts) -
I love time crisir 3 i spend a lot of many ,metal slug ,marvel vs capcom, and others!
#4 Posted by krunkfu2 (4218 posts) -

Metal Slug for sure

I only beat 4 in the arcade I've almost beaten 1 in the arcade but I only had like 2 bucks on me and I've layed and beaten X and 3 on my old Neo Geo machine I had. I also had 3,4 and 5 for xbox and now I've got 3 again on XBLA

#5 Posted by mike7677 (2426 posts) -

Dragon's Lair

Mach 3

And they came out with a game that was holographic. Really something to see.

Thefirsttwo games were Laser Disc based

#6 Posted by addictedtochaos (1136 posts) -
LA Machine Guns
San Francisco Rush 2049
Star Wars Trilogy
Maximum Force
#7 Posted by TheLegendKnight (1853 posts) -
metal slug, tekken
#8 Posted by sqrabbit (72 posts) -

Prop Cycle, or Tempest (until they make a good console controller for it)

#9 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -
I've spent countless quarters on Time Crisis II, Time Crisis III, Area 51, House of the Dead, and House of the Dead II.
#10 Posted by _AbBaNdOn (6518 posts) -
If I was going to buy the arcade machines? I'd probably get "Hard Drivin" and Virtua Fighter 1 or 2 dont remember which one it was. Arcades are dead and burried in my town essentially ever since consoles came out. I havent been to one in a very long time.
#11 Posted by gr8scott (1008 posts) -

I remember spending countless quarters on Street Fighter 2 and X-Men Arcade game.

Remember when Mortal Kombat hit arcades for the first time? Parents tried to keep their kids away from this lifelike violent game. That was the most popular one we had at our arcade. I guess controversy created cash hehe

#12 Posted by DeafNYCPlayer (2307 posts) -

The Three Stooges

Real Ghostbusters

Star Wars the Arcade Game

Street Fighter II to Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Several 90's NeoGeo games

Atari's Tetris

Battle Ballz

Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr

Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man

I was never forgetting about Tic-tac-toe Chicken. I played it with live chicken at Chinatown Fair. I lost many times, and tied, few times. I could not beat it all time.

#13 Posted by Alexspy99 (128 posts) -
I played time crisis(all games) and Street figther
#14 Posted by spanky333 (885 posts) -

Prop Cycle, or Tempest (until they make a good console controller for it)

sqrabbit

YEAH for tempest.. nothing like stumbling on a tempest machine in a service station or something! Hey.. where did all my change go?

#15 Posted by LOEAnubis (12135 posts) -

Wow, all of these responses and not a soul saying any of the four player glory games of the early 90's. If I had to rank them I would put them in this order.

Street Fighter 2: CE
X-Men (probably tied with SF2:CE)
TMNT (pick one, they were all great)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Mortal Kombat II
Final Fight
WWF Wrestlefest
X-Men: CotA
Avengers

I miss the days of going to an arcade and being able to team up with three (in X-Men's case five) other strangers in order to take down hordes of the same bad guys and larger than life bosses. Sure, there are some awesome games that we haven't seen, but I recall going to Tilt and playing most of the day with my friends. Capcom probably owes me some money.

#16 Posted by GP1mil (994 posts) -
I always enjoyed Silent Scope and probably those 4 way racing matches with the Daytona 500 game where you actually sat in the mock-up cars
#17 Posted by g4ronin (727 posts) -

One time I spent like all day playing X-Men. It was awesome.

I like TMNT too.

And I could also spend hours with the classic Galaga

#18 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

My favorite arcade game is a tie between 2: Commando (by Capcom) and Black Tiger (also by Capcom). I played these games a LOT in 1987 while my parents bowled in their league on Friday and Saturday nights.

Commando is one of the first games I was really GOOD at, more than just played. I just couldn't get into Bionic Commando as much as I did Commando. I plan to get Commando 3 whenever it comes out on Xbox Live Arcade.

Black Tiger, I enjoyed because of the RPG-type elements, gain gold, build up armor and your weapon, mixed with all the action. Magic Sword was similar, almost like a sequel.

After those 2 games, I'd probably put TMNT, Pac-Man and Galaga to fill out the rest of my top 5.

#19 Posted by PS2_PC_FAN (969 posts) -
house of the dead and time crisis is fun esspcially when youre playing with a friend.
#20 Posted by mariokart64fan (19522 posts) -

i have a few favs i no longerh ave access to but here they are

cops- lovei t if your in florida go to fundepot or boomers, they have it

another one which i do have on snes and scd is lethal enforcers another gun shooting game also with movie like visuals, not xbox360 like bu t you know , its a cutscene like game

another would be crusin world which i have also on n64 so i always have it minus the wheel ,

thats all i really liked as all the others are either on my nes -etc well those are to but those are original and greatr

#21 Posted by warjilis (210 posts) -

Pretty much anything made by Taito. all the way from Qix to Raiden III

#22 Posted by earthmonkeyyy (593 posts) -

Galaga

#23 Posted by SuperAgentZero (476 posts) -
House of the Dead 3 and Time Crisis
#24 Posted by DarkChrisss1995 (802 posts) -
Every House of dead except the third, all tekkens, and that classic Avengers beat 'em up.
#25 Posted by JannettyTRocker (1160 posts) -

My favorite arcade games of all time were :

- WWF Wrestlefest

- WWF Superstars

- Wonderboy

- Rastan

- basically any other Sega old-school arcade game.

#26 Posted by tequilero (9331 posts) -

I almost always played beat em ups arcades,my favorites were Final Fight and Captain Commando.

#27 Posted by megagene (23016 posts) -

These are the arcade games that I've dumped bags of quarters into:

-Final Fight
-TMNT
-Ninja Gaiden
-Street Fighter 2
-Mortal Kombat
-Mortal Kombat 2
-Shinobi

#28 Posted by jocaju (851 posts) -

Double Dragon, Final Fight, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat I & II, Golden Axe and TMNT.

One more, Sunset Riders :D

#29 Posted by Chilled_AB (568 posts) -

I played time crisis(all games) and Street figtherAlexspy99

same and they are my favourite coin-op games along with metal Slug

#30 Posted by Jacken89 (129 posts) -

WWF Superstars

WWF Wrestlefest

Ninja Turtles

#31 Posted by sleepanimal (76 posts) -

Metal Slug for sure

I only beat 4 in the arcade I've almost beaten 1 in the arcade but I only had like 2 bucks on me and I've layed and beaten X and 3 on my old Neo Geo machine I had. I also had 3,4 and 5 for xbox and now I've got 3 again on XBLA

krunkfu2

No doubt about it!I have no idea how much money i've spent again and again on this great game with a friend of mine!!!

#32 Posted by Waffle_Fish (2074 posts) -

Time Crisis, Dig Dug, Galaga, Megaman: The Power Fighters, Metal Slug, TMNT, Marvel VS. Capcom 2.

There was some really fun beat em up at my local arcade, I think it was called Dungeons and Dragons.

#33 Posted by ali_kerem (558 posts) -

Metal Slug 1,2

Tekken 1,2,3,Tag

Sunset Riders

#34 Posted by The_Scorpion (39 posts) -
My favorite would be Mortal Kombat 1 mainly because that game is so freakin sweet!
#35 Posted by gatrosk (16 posts) -

I have spent many a coin on Time Crisis 1-4, Metal Slug, House of the Dead, SoulCal, and various Tekken games. All of which are very very good games. My favorite though would have to be the time crisis games for sure.

#36 Posted by Fredrick2003x (2056 posts) -

I still visit my local arcade regularly, and if I had to think about how much money I have spent on arcade games I think I would narrow it down to the following 3...

1) Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune (1-3) - I loved the save feature, and being able to transfer your card from the first game to the second game and eventually to the third game made me keep coming back for more.

2) The House of the Dead 2 - Quite possibly the best game in the series (and the hardest) I have played it so much that I can almost make it through the thing in one credit. A big improvement from when I was 10 and dumping $20 into the machine.

3) Time Crisis 3 - It seemed I couldn't avoid this one. It was at every Dave and Busters, Gameworks, Alladin's Castle, etc. that I came across. I couldn't resist putting in a few credits every time.

Honorable mentions: Soul Calibur 2, Gauntlet: Dark Legecy, Raiden Fighters.

#37 Posted by FunkyHeadHunter (1758 posts) -
Well since im a young 36...I have to go with MS PAC MAN...But one I have played some in the last few years was DDR.
#38 Posted by bearded_snowman (514 posts) -

Mine would have to be SF:Rush: The Rock and 2049. Loved playing those games in the aracdes!

#39 Posted by jsmoke03 (12929 posts) -
ninja tutrtles arcade game, all the fighting games in the 90's ,x-men the arcade game
#40 Posted by VGobbsesser (15614 posts) -
Street Fighter III.
#41 Posted by Kage1 (6751 posts) -

Defender Stargate. I want an arcade Cab of it.

#42 Posted by kfjl (2469 posts) -

Galaga is at the top, followed by
Frogger
Punch-Out
Tempest
Ms. Pac-Man
Centipede & Millipede
Mr. Do
The Simpsons
TMNT
Rampage
Gauntlet
Hogan's Alley

#43 Posted by ocdog45 (9072 posts) -
street fighter II, killer instincts 1 & 2, x-men, the simpsons game.