Poor Sportsmanship in Online Gaming?

#1 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -

So, recently I was listening to a podcast that concerned an aspiring professional League of Legends player who was banned from the game for a year because, in simple terms, he was a massive douchebag who continually harassed and abused other players.

I notice that a number of online games have reputations for... toxic communities. MOBAs like League of Legends and Dota 2 are frequently singled out for communities that are full of assholes. But they are far from the only ones. Call of Duty and Halo, and other games have a reputation for having immature brats screaming obscenities over the mic.

So do online games suffer from worse sportsmanship than other, non-video games? Why is the online scene often so toxic?

#2 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13612 posts) -

Its not just the Online scene.... I've seen poor sportsmanship in offline games too.

#3 Posted by Bigboi500 (29999 posts) -

Some people just get off on making others feel bad. Being hidden in the comfort, privacy and safety of ones own home makes it all the easier to do it.

Just yesterday while playing Starhawk I came across this guy who does nothing except throw himself at your base, again and again with no concern for his k/d ratio, he only wants to make others feel bad by destroying what you build. Playing with people like that isn't fun at all.

In all my life I've never encountered a more sour and negative group of people than gamers.

#4 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13612 posts) -

@Bigboi500

Agreed !

#5 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6029 posts) -

GTA4 free mode was an absolute cesspit of racism, sexism, homophobia, and all around nastiness. GTAO has it's moments, too, but so far it's more just general douchebaggery.

The only reason I can imagine for it's being more prevalent in online gaming is because online gaming has no rules regarding sportsmanship. In real life, if you sack a quarterback and proceed to teabag him, not only will you likely be pummeled by his team mates, but you'll also likely be ejected from the game.

#6 Posted by Behardy24 (4540 posts) -

I like to think that is just humans being humans. Through out time, people have been saying horrible things to one another. Online gaming is just another outlet for people to say hateful things. Simple as that.

#7 Posted by mgools (905 posts) -

I have almost stopped playing online games because of this. I did get Titanfall, and remembered why I had stopped playing online in the first place. Great game, but not worth the headache. Will sometimes play online co-op with friend only, and most other games are single player only. Good thread BTW...

#8 Posted by Chatch09 (365 posts) -

Poor online sportsmanship is actually the biggest reason I stopped playing Call of Duty (aside from it being recycled every year...). I just grew tired of learning new racial slurs from 12 year olds and receiving death threats for being better than other players. My new strategy is to just mute everyone immediately then as I play I look out for people who actually work together to complete objectives then look up their name to unmute them so I can cooperate with them, its been very effective in finding decent people to play with.

The bottom line is this: as long as there is anonymity, some people will be douchers.

#9 Posted by BranKetra (48730 posts) -

I have had many good experiences online, but there are some times when someone comes along who wants to spoil the fun other players are having. I imagine they did not play many team sports during their childhood. Adolescents playing M-rated games have their parents to take responsibility for allowing them online. Chess.com has friendly competitors. They are not bad, either.

#10 Posted by Necroplazma (29 posts) -

Because its online. Its unfortunate, but it makes sense. Its completely depersonalized. People don't care about what a bunch of anonymous far away people think, especially if their goal is merely to kill them off as many times as possible.

#11 Edited by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

A lot of people say gamers are toxic and abusive to others in online gaming frequently, but why limit that to just gamers? In various fandoms and all corners of the internet you will see reprehensible behavior, horrific abuse, and all kinds of hatred you didn't even know existed. And no one really does anything about if because for some very strange reason, people think the internet is some magical place disconnected from reality. And its like, really? Who the hell else is sending you those death threats other than a living breathing person? Magical elves?

#12 Posted by thereal25 (458 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

Some people just get off on making others feel bad. Being hidden in the comfort, privacy and safety of ones own home makes it all the easier to do it.

Just yesterday while playing Starhawk I came across this guy who does nothing except throw himself at your base, again and again with no concern for his k/d ratio, he only wants to make others feel bad by destroying what you build. Playing with people like that isn't fun at all.

In all my life I've never encountered a more sour and negative group of people than gamers.

Prolly just some kid having a laugh.

#13 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

@thereal25 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Some people just get off on making others feel bad. Being hidden in the comfort, privacy and safety of ones own home makes it all the easier to do it.

Just yesterday while playing Starhawk I came across this guy who does nothing except throw himself at your base, again and again with no concern for his k/d ratio, he only wants to make others feel bad by destroying what you build. Playing with people like that isn't fun at all.

In all my life I've never encountered a more sour and negative group of people than gamers.

Prolly just some kid having a laugh.

This seems to be a common belief about all internet trolls but I think its inaccurate. A good number of trolls are pathetic, grown ass adults who should know better.

#14 Edited by wiouds (5254 posts) -

The problem is that most only remember the bad players. The player they do not like. This creates a bias when talking about this subject. In other words they was using poor data to make a judgement call.

#15 Edited by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

In all my life I've never encountered a more sour and negative group of people than gamers.

I came here to say just this

#16 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13612 posts) -

@Lucky_Krystal

I'm betting on that too. Its manchildren.

#17 Edited by jetjetjaguar (244 posts) -

I like online gaming and agree that some games are "tough neighborhoods" and in general you need to have a thick skin (or else just mute everyone). It amazes me that I keep finding myself in matches with very young children and very nasty adults (and teens). It seems like that would be so easy to fix in match making.

I have had my best online experiences in the Left 4 Dead games, makes sense as it rewards team play and it's your group verses the AI in the story mode. Others worth mentioning: Forza, Bioshock 2 (has a mute user feature that works wonders for my happiness), Halo.

#18 Edited by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -

If you think that's bad come on down to the counterstrike community

Will eat you alive

No really it's very frustrating and annoying to deal with most of the time

#19 Edited by BigCat2K20 (249 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

I have had many good experiences online, but there are some times when someone comes along who wants to spoil the fun other players are having. I imagine they did not play many team sports during their childhood. Adolescents playing M-rated games have their parents to take responsibility for allowing them online. Chess.com has friendly competitors. They are not bad, either.

My online gaming experiences have been 50/50. But, I haven't play it over an year. There are bad apples in the online gaming community will do their very best to spoil the fun for everybody else.

#20 Edited by Jacanuk (4719 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

So, recently I was listening to a podcast that concerned an aspiring professional League of Legends player who was banned from the game for a year because, in simple terms, he was a massive douchebag who continually harassed and abused other players.

I notice that a number of online games have reputations for... toxic communities. MOBAs like League of Legends and Dota 2 are frequently singled out for communities that are full of assholes. But they are far from the only ones. Call of Duty and Halo, and other games have a reputation for having immature brats screaming obscenities over the mic.

So do online games suffer from worse sportsmanship than other, non-video games? Why is the online scene often so toxic?

In regards to the League player it had to be pretty bad considering the community League of Legends has and the amount of abuse that goes on in there daily, i dont think you can find a worse community in the world of competitive sport.

But i think the problem with LOL is it its F2P and therefore a lot more free than most other communities.

Also its not really bad sportsmanship most of the time, its the need to win and winning is obviously better than losing.

#21 Posted by Bigboi500 (29999 posts) -

@Lucky_Krystal said:

@thereal25 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Some people just get off on making others feel bad. Being hidden in the comfort, privacy and safety of ones own home makes it all the easier to do it.

Just yesterday while playing Starhawk I came across this guy who does nothing except throw himself at your base, again and again with no concern for his k/d ratio, he only wants to make others feel bad by destroying what you build. Playing with people like that isn't fun at all.

In all my life I've never encountered a more sour and negative group of people than gamers.

Prolly just some kid having a laugh.

This seems to be a common belief about all internet trolls but I think its inaccurate. A good number of trolls are pathetic, grown ass adults who should know better.

Yeah I think so too. This guy, he's Japanese going by his PSN ID scribblings, has been like that since Starhawk began. He has no concern for his team winning, no concern for his deaths, he just wants to annoy and disrupt. Gotta be some no-life otaku who hates the world. lol