Playstation 4 sales pass 7 million mark

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

PS4 sales are still soaring. In the short term, a strong E3 and a pricecut would be great ways to keep momentum going.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/16/ps4-hits-7-million-globally/

Hi guys! I’ve got a quick update to share with you. Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. just announced that PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 7.0 million units globally as of April 6th, 2014. PS4 software sales are another bright spot, with more than 20.5 million copies sold at retail and PlayStation Store worldwide as of April 13th, 2014.

On behalf of the entire global team at PlayStation, I want to thank you for your unprecedented support and for making PS4 your next-generation console of choice. We couldn’t have done this without you! And please keep the feedback coming: we are listening.

On that note, we’ll have some great new details to share with you regarding our upcoming PS4 system software update very soon. Stay tuned!

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

7 mill since nov

So over a million sold consoles worldwide each month and thats not even counting X1´s and Wiiu´s

Who ever said consoles are dead gotta love these news :D

And good news for Sony

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Twice as impressive considering there are no games on it. I guess last gen really left people starved for new machines, long as it was.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CarnageHeart

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Twice as impressive considering there are no games on it. I guess last gen really left people starved for new machines, long as it was.

There are a lot of great games for it, but clearly none of them are to your taste (its a young system so the library is still fairly narrow).

I recommend that you trade it in (if you have one) or hold off on buying it until something strikes your fancy.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Ya the library on all 3 next-gen consoles is not that impressive but it will be and from ubisofts future releases there is a lot of next-gen only games.

But honestly i don't blame a lot of people for jumping on the next-gen console wagon, the ps4 is a great console and for people in NA i guess the X1 can seem like a good purchase.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#6 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Not bad.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@CarnageHeart said:

There are a lot of great games for it, but clearly none of them are to your taste (its a young system so the library is still fairly narrow).

I recommend that you trade it in (if you have one) or hold off on buying it until something strikes your fancy.

Yeah, there are a few good titles, but no killer-apps, which is why I'm surprised it has sold so much. I just hope the Xbone catches up, since we need the two competitors to be on the level.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

Very impressive but I hope sony waits a while before updating us again. Tell us when you hit 20 mil.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44151 Posts

@dvader654 said:

^ They did this today cause NPD is tomorrow and they probably lost March. It sold a million last month worldwide, its on fire.

Yeah I pretty much figured they announced this because of tomorrow's NPD figures as well. Still great numbers for both Sony and consoles in general.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Its truly the Wii of this generation. Selling great even without any worthwhile games.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

Its truly the Wii of this generation. Selling great even without any worthwhile games.

Oh? Were you as let down with Second Son as me and dvader were? I mean it's a solid enough game, but their just isn't enough GAME in that game. It just left me wanting so much more. It felt like a sampler.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

WOW gorgeous sales but PS4 deserve it

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CarnageHeart

@S0lidSnake said:

Well, you have a Wii U, so your tastes are clearly very different than mine (I tired of Mario decades ago), but for my money games like AC4, Killzone Shadowfall, Infamous Second Son, NBA2K14, Rayman Legends, Resogun and Don't Starve are quality games.

The PS4 is a success in no small part because it avoided following in the footsteps of the Wii. While the Wii U and the Xbox One were clearly inspired by the success of the Wii (both bundled hideously expensive casual controllers with their systems) the PS4 chose to focus on the core.

Sony made a powerful, affordable system with a quality, relatively traditional controller, made sure the system was easy to program for (very important at a time when pretty much every third party is multiplatform) and welcomed developers with open arms (Nintendo was Nintendo and MS for some reason no one has ever explained, decided for a while that it hated indies).

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

Great . but right now PS4 doesn't have any games that impress me ( same as xbox one , i like Forza 5 thought ) . but that might change when The Order 1886 comes out .

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 S0lidSnake

@Randolph said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Oh? Were you as let down with Second Son as me and dvader were? I mean it's a solid enough game, but their just isn't enough GAME in that game. It just left me wanting so much more. It felt like a sampler.

Yup. Extremely disappointed. I have written lots about the gameplay. Check it out in ROF if you want. But aside from the terrible copy paste side missions, the worst thing was the main campaign which had maybe 10-15 missions and lasted maybe 4-5 hours if you dont count the side missions. Infamous games have always had a decent 8-10 hour campaign with lots of awesome moments. This game was so ridiculously light on content i couldnt believe it.

Loved the graphics and powers though. Which is why I have kept it evne though Gamestop was offering a $45 trade in credit. They are releasing a pretty decent patch today that will let you change the time of day after you finish the game, caps the framerate to 30 fps and introduces a new Photo Mode. Will finish my evil run and then return it.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Fantastic news for Sony. Let's hope they can deliver on their promise of for gamers, by gamers. We've yet to see that top, top title yet. InFAMOUS:SS Looked fantastic but was a bit short lived and very easy.

Also not a chance of a price drop just yet. Sony cannot keep up with demand as it it and are selling every console they produce so no need to drop the price.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 S0lidSnake
@CarnageHeart said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Well, you have a Wii U, so your tastes are clearly very different than mine (I tired of Mario decades ago), but for my money games like AC4, Killzone Shadowfall, Infamous Second Son, NBA2K14, Rayman Legends, Resogun and Don't Starve are quality games.

The PS4 is a success in no small part because it avoided following in the footsteps of the Wii. While the Wii U and the Xbox One were clearly inspired by the success of the Wii (both bundled hideously expensive casual controllers with their systems) the PS4 chose to focus on the core.

Sony made a powerful, affordable system with a quality, relatively traditional controller, made sure the system was easy to program for (very important at a time when pretty much every third party is multiplatform) and welcomed developers with open arms (Nintendo was Nintendo and MS for some reason no one has ever explained, decided for a while that it hated indies).

Oh come on, you know i was half kidding about it. ;p good dig on my wii u purchase though. the only thing is that i have always regretted the purchase. It also relied heavily on multiplatform games with a handful of exclusives that did not light the imagination on fire. Well, at least not until SM3DWs came out late last year.

As for them making something thats easy to program for and welcoming developers with open arms resulted in a pretty barren first six months with the only true next gen games being four Sony exclusives including Knack and a downloadable game you can finish in two hours. funnily enough, they didnt welcome Respawn with open arms and completely shut them out barely 18 months from the console's launch.

If time to triangle was so important than why did Sucker Punch struggle so much with adding content in Infamous? It's a bullshit stat. All that indie jerking off at E3 and Gamescom has resulted in how many games so far? Where is Transistor? Rime? Galak-Z? So far we have only had Outlast, Dont Starve and Contrast. Arent all of those PC games?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CarnageHeart

@S0lidSnake said:
@CarnageHeart said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Oh come on, you know i was half kidding about it. ;p good dig on my wii u purchase though. the only thing is that i have always regretted the purchase. It also relied heavily on multiplatform games with a handful of exclusives that did not light the imagination on fire. Well, at least not until SM3DWs came out late last year.

As for them making something thats easy to program for and welcoming developers with open arms resulted in a pretty barren first six months with the only true next gen games being four Sony exclusives including Knack and a downloadable game you can finish in two hours. funnily enough, they didnt welcome Respawn with open arms and completely shut them out barely 18 months from the console's launch.

If time to triangle was so important than why did Sucker Punch struggle so much with adding content in Infamous? It's a bullshit stat. All that indie jerking off at E3 and Gamescom has resulted in how many games so far? Where is Transistor? Rime? Galak-Z? So far we have only had Outlast, Dont Starve and Contrast. Arent all of those PC games?

Developers push to get launch window games out at launch and past that they tend to delay games a bit. That is an ancient practice which should surprise no one and one which inevitably results in a post-launch dry spell.

As for Respawn, I didn't watch the video or whatever it is in question, but based on an article I read, Respawn asked Sony for info they weren't handing out at the time. Sony didn't give them the info and Respawn went on to sign with MS. I'm not sure the two are connected. Would simply seeing the PS4's specs have caused EA/Respawn to turn down the dumptruck loads of money MS was offering?

Heck, if it wasn't for Titanfall the Xbone's pre-E3 2014 exclusive would be Kinect Sports Rivals. I'm sure MS paid the GDP of a small country in order to secure Titanfall and keep the Xbone viable.

Also, I haven't read anything which indicates that Sony froze out Respawn at any point. Do you have a link to an article with more info than the one I read below?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-17-sony-wanted-a-playstation-vita-version-of-titanfall

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By S0lidSnake

@CarnageHeartBuy Geoff Keighley's Final Hours of TitanFall. It's only $1.99 and seems to be a fascinating read. You can buy it from iTunes, Android or Amazon (kindle). I bought it off steam but have yet to read it. One of the guys posted a summary of what went down with the PS4 version and its similar to what you have described. They wanted info on the PS4 specs back in January and Sony gave them nothing. While MS not only jumped at the opportunity but also funded the project after EA's 3 year investment ran out. You can say that Microsoft saved TitanFall.

The point is that 20 months before launch, they decided a launch window game from probably the most successful dev of all time was not worth their time. As we are now finding out, Sucker Punch and Guerrilla games both started development of their games in early to mid 2011 and still struggled with producing a game full of content. If sony believed that January 2012 was not a good time to be sharing their specs with third party developers than they fucked up. Plain and simple. it explains why we have such a gaming drought right now.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CarnageHeart

@S0lidSnake said:

@CarnageHeartBuy Geoff Keighley's Final Hours of TitanFall. It's only $1.99 and seems to be a fascinating read. You can buy it from iTunes, Android or Amazon (kindle). I bought it off steam but have yet to read it. One of the guys posted a summary of what went down with the PS4 version and its similar to what you have described. They wanted info on the PS4 specs back in January and Sony gave them nothing. While MS not only jumped at the opportunity but also funded the project after EA's 3 year investment ran out. You can say that Microsoft saved TitanFall.

The point is that 20 months before launch, they decided a launch window game from probably the most successful dev of all time was not worth their time. As we are now finding out, Sucker Punch and Guerrilla games both started development of their games in early to mid 2011 and still struggled with producing a game full of content. If sony believed that January 2012 was not a good time to be sharing their specs with third party developers than they fucked up. Plain and simple. it explains why we have such a gaming drought right now.

Like I said, I don't believe for a second that Respawn would have ignored MS's piles money if Sony had just given than a peek at the PS4's specs and I don't think you are that gullible either. Its far more likely that Respawn was trying to trigger a bidding war between MS and Sony. That's a war Sony cannot win against MS, so they declined to play.

Its likely that Sony is going to follow their PS3 strategy with the PS4. Last gen MS spent big to acquire third party exclusives through the generation, while Sony focused on developers MS didn't have its eye on (MS likes to work with established, famous developers like Respawn, Silicon Knight, Epic, Rare and Sakaguchi, Sony tries to find talent before it becomes famous/expensive/worn out such as Media Molecule, thatgamecompany and Quantic Dreams).

Predictably as the PS3's sales increased vi a vi the X360's, MS went from games with years of exclusivity to DLC with months of exclusivity simply because the opportunity cost of ignoring the PS3 was ever larger.

On a related note, reportedly EA has determined that Titanfall 2 will hit the PS4. *Shrugs* Of course, that could just be a negotiating tactic to get more money from MS. Time will tell.

Last of all, I'll probably rely on the summaries of others for the Making of Titanfall documentary since I'm not a big CoD/Titanfall fan.

EDIT: Reader impressions about the documentary are so positive that I've changed my mind. I'm working through a couple books at the moment, but when I get through them I'll buy and read the Titanfall thing. Seeing video and suchlike of a game (even if its Titanfall) through its devcycle should be interesting.