PlayStation 2 Disk read error Solutions!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kai2demax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 kai2demax
Member since 2005 • 66 Posts

mabye try 2 clean the laser??

thedude777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 thedude777
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

i need help with my playstation 2. I want to cheat with action replay but i can't get the dang thing to work because it's a blue disk. I thought that reading the manual would help. i read it 76 times but still can't figure it out. I already cleaned the PS2 because there was tons of dust inside of it. The same thing happens with the other blue disks I have.

It happens with Gauntlet dark legacy, and supercar racing. IT does it with action replay to.

If i'm lucky the PS2 will read it once in a while which is 1:100,000,000.

I need help if any of you know what is wrong E-mail me or post something before I chuck the PS2 out of the window.

GFK123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 GFK123456
Member since 2005 • 36 Posts
i bought my madden game when it first came out and all of a sudden it just stoped working i know its not the lens because my other games work my madden game only has a few scratches i tryed everything cleaning it like it says tilting the ps2 on its left side but nothing works is it possible to fix the game or w/e?
monkeyman996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#204 monkeyman996
Member since 2005 • 1191 Posts

i need help with my playstation 2. I want to cheat with action replay but i can't get the dang thing to work because it's a blue disk. I thought that reading the manual would help. i read it 76 times but still can't figure it out. I already cleaned the PS2 because there was tons of dust inside of it. The same thing happens with the other blue disks I have.

It happens with Gauntlet dark legacy, and supercar racing. IT does it with action replay to.

If i'm lucky the PS2 will read it once in a while which is 1:100,000,000.

I need help if any of you know what is wrong E-mail me or post something before I chuck the PS2 out of the window.

thedude777

yer uve got the disk read error but not as bad as some people whos machines wont play anything if you get someone to fix it then it will work, i can fix if you want me to let me know

bassman_21st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 bassman_21st
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts
You probably need to get a New PS2 lens which costs $80 imported from Hong Kong or probably about $30-$50 in Australia somewhere.
Devil_Krypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Devil_Krypton
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I buy 3 dvd discs and 1 of them - Splinter Cell - not worked. I tried many times and he's not work! Can I do something?

PS. I always when my disc don't work reset my ps2 many times and disc works! I tried it on ps1 discs and on film discs and it on 80% works!

Father_Time89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#207 Father_Time89
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts
My ps2 doesn't have disc read errors, but it takes a while for my PS2 to read a disk, will these solutions work for that too?
wardrobe_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 wardrobe_man
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts

Awesome man I bet this stuff will help me with me PS2.

Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#209 Spurs_Fan
Member since 2005 • 13023 Posts
my ps2 had this problem. So i got a new ps2
Mangove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#210 Mangove
Member since 2005 • 557 Posts

whenever my playstation has the disk error thing when it can't read the disk i just give the playstation a wack on the side and 98% of the time that works because it then reads the disks perfectly,

but in one incedent when i gave the ps2 a wack on the side it didnt read the disk and when i took the disk out i saw that the laser thing that reads the disks had somehow burned a smooth scratch onto the disk so that disk never worked again

so i wouldnt recomend that anyone should try this incase incase something goes wrong. 

Avatar image for thapinkpanther8
thapinkpanther8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 thapinkpanther8
HEY I NEED YOUR HELP CUZ I TRY TO PLAY DVD MOVIES ON THIS **** AND DONT WORK IT BRINGS UP THAT ERROR ABOUT A DISK HAHA WELL OK ITS A VERSION 4 PS2 and NEED YOUR HELP my email address is livestrong08@msn.com or poeticjustc8@aol.com thanks!!
akaMistaFreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 akaMistaFreeze
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts

Is that the "full" big ps2 version or the mini version?

magirouard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 magirouard
Member since 2003 • 2245 Posts
i smashed my PS2 after about 20 times and went to buy a slimline, so simple
Avatar image for danielsmith2020
danielsmith2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#214 danielsmith2020
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts
My sivler full size ps2 has been fine up till now but recently it has decided to stop reading dvd's properly it plays fine for a few seconds then stops for a while then starts up again a few seconds further on is this just a dirty lens problem or is it something a bit more serious.
JIMMYLONGLEGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 JIMMYLONGLEGS
Member since 2005 • 419 Posts
if you hit your ps2 on the back, like  if you get pised off that game dik might not work and you'll have to get another disk.:shock:
JIMMYLONGLEGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 JIMMYLONGLEGS
Member since 2005 • 419 Posts
if you hit your ps2 on the back, like  if you get pised off that game it might not work and you'll have to get another disk.:shock:
Devil_Krypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Devil_Krypton
thapinkpanther8 try to insert your dvd film and reset ps2 many MANY times.
ebony_c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 ebony_c
another good thing is use lynx deodrant spray it all over till its dripping then wipe clean with a baby wipe plz dnt ask me y i thort of doing it
jjj13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#219 jjj13
Member since 2005 • 2399 Posts
Thanks man this should help.
Steve_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Steve_78
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Hi!!
     I have been getting DRE's with my PS2 (3.0001). I have tried everything!  Alcohol to clean laser, adjust that white gear, and even adjusted the voltage for each (game and dvd) medium.  If you can give me some specific info on doing one of these adjustments (and ANY help) would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Hope is fading fast!

Thank You !!!!
Serbian_Glide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Serbian_Glide
Member since 2006 • 1188 Posts

I have DRE problems only for Madden 06. I really dont get it! My friend comes over a couple weeks ago and brings over his Madden 06 and it keeps getting DRE on my ps2 but it works on his. So yesterday I got Madden 06, after trying it out at my friends house, then I try to play it on my ps2 and it doesn't work! I return it for another copy of Madden 06 only to find out that that doesn't work either! What is up with that! I play all these other games on my ps2 but I can't even start up Madden 06.

dslkpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 dslkpo
Member since 2005 • 105 Posts

If that does not work then a simple solution is to turn the PlayStation on its left side. Trust me i know it sounds stupid but it works wonders. 

Yaaa this works VERY WELL

WhatRuOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 WhatRuOn
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts
Is there a difference between the red 'playstation format' screen and the disc read error you get from the browser?

I have RE:OutBreak and I get the red screen, is this a laser issue or a disc issue.  Other games and DVDs work.
Vyse86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#224 Vyse86
Member since 2004 • 2271 Posts
Has anyone mentioned the tape method? This typically works best for the older PS2 games that were purple on the underside. Place two strips of tape on the disc, one on the left side of the center hole and the other directly across fom it running parralel to the other. Horizontally parallel just to be clear and I mean on the top of the disc not on the actual underside. Its worked on a number of games I own including Contra: Shattered Soldier and The Bible Game. Sounds crazy but it works.
pissesatyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 pissesatyou
Member since 2006 • 38 Posts
My favorite game is Zleda it's a very good game, the only thing i don't like is the guns you get it makes it too easy and i don't like in 2 you don't play as master chife as much. And i think X was the best alot of people like VII cuz of cloud ut my favorite is X
CesarHideyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 CesarHideyuki
I dont know if this has been mentioned but toothpaste somtimes fixes disc read errors (and never fails to clean CD's that are just scratched). Just smear a line of toothpaste around the cd, grab a wet cloth and softly rub it in. After it because all watery (maybe after 5-10 seconds) clean it off with a dry cloth. If you dont beleive me try scratching a game you dont play to much up against a wall or scratch it with your fingers.darkside5001

I thought it wasn't true. My gta sa was always erroring (o.o) and i did this. I worked o.o Thanks man
rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts
[QUOTE="pissesatyou"] My favorite game is Zleda it's a very good game, the only thing i don't like is the guns you get it makes it too easy and i don't like in 2 you don't play as master chife as much. And i think X was the best alot of people like VII cuz of cloud ut my favorite is X

?
Beatable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Beatable
Member since 2006 • 169 Posts
omg do not crack open the ps2 ever without as you said a stactic bracelet but alos neva in light!!!  do it in one of those photography rooms, because if you open it up normally it really f**** up the laser
harman_khosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 harman_khosa
yeah i tried it too it does work
harman_khosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 harman_khosa
[QUOTE="CesarHideyuki"]
I dont know if this has been mentioned but toothpaste somtimes fixes disc read errors (and never fails to clean CD's that are just scratched). Just smear a line of toothpaste around the cd, grab a wet cloth and softly rub it in. After it because all watery (maybe after 5-10 seconds) clean it off with a dry cloth. If you dont beleive me try scratching a game you dont play to much up against a wall or scratch it with your fingers.darkside5001

I thought it wasn't true. My gta sa was always erroring (o.o) and i did this. I worked o.o Thanks man

yeah it does work
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#231 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

A safer method would be getting a can of compressed air and blowing it into the fan because your PS2 might have a dust clog in it and if it works all the dust should hit the filter on the front of your PS2. Another method would be to buy a Game Doctor but it doesn't have a good chance of working...well I think its just me anyway

I do have one problem with my PS2 that doesn't completely involve the disc but by PS2 only plays certain PS2 games and it will almost always make this sound that sounds like putting a pencil into a running fan. I checked the fan on the back, but nothing was wrong with it and I tried air dusting it to get all of the dust and whatever else was in there. If anyone knows what I'm talking about can you please tell me what to do. Thanks.

swatzlewatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#232 swatzlewatt
my ps2 has disk read errors aswell. but its different as they only happen when playing GTA SA. then u think its the disc, i cleaned it with a disc cleaner, didnt help, tried another persons game, and it still does it. but its only with GTA SA. i got no clue????
Akush47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Akush47
Member since 2005 • 1611 Posts

[QUOTE="Rodg7790"]maybe a sticky, helpfulrob1101

even if we dont sticky this one we still need a sticky on this subject dont you agree

lol =]

djd600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 djd600
Please help....getting DRE's and even got a Insert PS2 Format  Disk...got the message once before about 4 yrs ago or so.  Haven't gotten it since then and have forgotten how I took care of it last time.  Can you help me out here?
monkeyman996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 monkeyman996
Member since 2005 • 1191 Posts
Please help....getting DRE's and even got a Insert PS2 Format Disk...got the message once before about 4 yrs ago or so. Haven't gotten it since then and have forgotten how I took care of it last time. Can you help me out here? djd600

yer either yet sumthing to clean out all the dirt nd rubbish or if that dont work re-adjust the laser....if you want more inof on how to adjust your laser just pm me
X-Raze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#236 X-Raze
Member since 2004 • 3771 Posts
Finally...I Was Wondering When They Would Make One Of These Threads...
Avatar image for the_warriors_77
the_warriors_77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 the_warriors_77
Member since 2006 • 77 Posts
maybe a sticky, helpful Ohh ya, and if you have won a xbox 360 at everytenminutes.com please pm me, and if you have any extra codes pm me.
hawk-hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#238 hawk-hunter
Member since 2006 • 344 Posts
What games are the dreaded blue discs?  I know The Thing is one of those discs.
killab_venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 killab_venom
Member since 2004 • 106 Posts
so how come with my system certain games won't work even though there are no scratches or finger prints on the discs? I just bought Tekken Tag and the system makes a loud clicking noise and vibrates loud! Also MK Trilogy, silent hill, and twisted metal 2 wont work but on my PS1 it works perfectly> Can u help?pls.
scemeteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 scemeteam
is anyone having the DRE problem im having?
the only game my ps2 plays is grand theft auto SA,any other game i put in it give me DRE.
or i have to put the game in my machine over a million times before it reads it.

what should i do? i want Submit to send it away to sony,or sell it and get another one is the problem im having something easy to fix
killab_venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 killab_venom
Member since 2004 • 106 Posts
yeah if u have the #300001 on the package on the PS2 u will have lots of problems like me! dats Y i'm gonna get a new one, possibly the slim version!
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

The disc read errors can be fixed, however only temporarily.  After some time the disc read error solutions NO LONGER work.  My original PS2 finally died a month ago after having it for 5 years.  Take my advice and go get a slim PS2.

sheyshehan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 sheyshehan
hey...me and a friend was palyin tekken for some time and paused the game for abt 15-20 mins..when we came back, the game was frozen, and when we took the disk out, it had a small black spot on it...we tried some cleanin fluid to rub it out...it wouldn't come out...now the disk is giving read errors...only works abt once every ten time we try it...help????
Davexenobane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Davexenobane
I just got a vacuum out and hoovered the damn thing... it works fine now... lol
Carnage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Carnage-

I was wondering if someone could help me with this problem.

I have the old-school styled PS2 and bought it about 2 years ago.  I haven't had any problems with it, up until today, though I'm not sure if its the system's fault or not. 

I bought the greatest hits version of Kingdom hearts and got about 12 hours into it.  Then I tried to interact with a window and nothing happened.  There was still music, and there was still movement on the screen, but I couldn't move and the menus disappeared.  When I tried to restart the game, it just passes the "Playstation 2" part and I just get a black screen.  But this is the only game that I have this problem with.  The disc is in pristine shape.  No gunk or scratches on it at all.

Is this problem with my PS2? Or is it a disc problem.

ehsanmgs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 ehsanmgs4
Member since 2005 • 36 Posts

in the name of god

you shoud change optic  every years or buy for it not orginal DVD and you shoud play lower

maddenfreak411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 maddenfreak411
Member since 2005 • 115 Posts
sheyshehan  you should buy a new game it is a burn mark from over heating
jamesz25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#249 jamesz25
Member since 2005 • 850 Posts
lol its good i spose but i dont always work somethimes the game is generally ruined
Avatar image for UltFemale_Gamer
UltFemale_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#250 UltFemale_Gamer
Wow, those are great tips...my ps2 has been having problems reading my ps1 disks..it's completely fine with ps2 games, just not ps1 games. Is it because it's too old? (my ps2 is about 5 years old...) Or should I attempt those methods...? lol, i'm really tired of switching back and forth between my ps1 and my ps2...^^; >.> i'm addicted to playing ps1 games when i'm bored...even though i have about 3 ps2 games going right now. (Grandia 3, KH2, Dragon Quest 8,)