PlayStation 2 Disk read error Solutions!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wackoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 wackoss
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts

If your warranty is expired, Sony will not fix it for free (they did for a short time, but not anymore) - $45 to fix it or $75 for a refurbished PS2.  Phone # for sony: 1-800-345-sony

If you're getting DRE or game freezes and your warranty is expired:

1. Try cleaning the game disc.

2. Try standing the ps2 vertically (my ps2 would freeze quite often with Kingdom Hearts' cutscenes and this did the job)

3. You can try a cd player cleaner kit but I'm not sure how effective those are.

4. Open the PS2 up, it's quite easy.  You'll need a phillips screwdriver and one that would fit tiny screws.  Just be somewhat careful when taking off the top part of the casing since the eject/power buttons are connected by a ribbon to the system.  There's a lot of slack at least two inches but as always take your time.  Then clean the laser lense with q-tip and water or alcohol.

5.  Mark the initial spot of the white cog and then just keep testing the different positions.  You can also adjust the tilt of the laser by tightening loosening the little black screw that's holding the laser to the rod.  Use a white crayon and make an initial mark.

website for the above steps: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

6.  If all that doesn't do it you can adjust the resistance/voltage for the laser.  You've really nothing to lose since a PS2 w/DRE is essentially a giant paperweight otherwise.  Make sure to unplug the system.  It's good if you have a multimeter (you want to measure the ohms of resistance).   Unscrew the two screws that hold the rods (that the laser sits on) down.  The laser is still connected by a ribbon but you don't have to take it off; just flip it over and you should see two screw like things.  These actually control the resistance thus the voltage that the laser receives.  If you're having problems with reading CDs (ps1, ps2 blue discs) adjust the one on the right.  For dvd's it's the one on the left.    I did this (even without a multimeter, I just turned it ever so slightly) on a DRE ps2 that couldn't read dvds and it was successful.  Now I have a working PS2 that I bought for $25 in my room and one I already owned in the living room.  Sweet.  Found these two very helpful sites with great pics:

www.cyber-mag.com

www.vandrunen.net

Alchemist14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Alchemist14
Member since 2005 • 2893 Posts
ive never gotten a single disc read error only a broken ass ps2 i opened it up and saw the problem it was a little piece that makes the disc turn so i ordered a new part and tried for 2 days to get it working but no success so i just chucked the thing in the trash and bought a slimline and now im glad it broke cuz the slimlines kickass
blackIceJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 blackIceJoe
Member since 2005 • 3347 Posts
I am going to try some of these ideas.My PS2 has been having that problem for over a year for me. I use to use that machine the most.Till it got the Disk read error problem.Now it is just my Xbox I use.I can't even play Kingdom Hearts any more.Also if you have the number for Sony let me know so I can call them up or if you don't have it any more I will find it my self. Thanks for the info I hope this helps me I really do not want to waste any more money on a system. I hope this works then when PS3 comes out I will use that for my games.
zoo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54 zoo3
Member since 2004 • 299 Posts
my solution was calling sony.  i have had 2 slimlines within the last year go bad.  luckily both under warranty.  i bought the first one last october 23rd.  by december it stopped reading the discs.  the brand new replacement stopped reading discs 2 weeks ago, so it lasted a bit longer.  in both cases, the DRE came from out of the blue.  it worked... and then it didn't work.  with the last one i had a brand new katamari disc i played for a couple days.  never took it out of the ps2.  then one day it stopped working.  it wouldn't read anything.  and believe me, i keep my stuff looking new.  i've also heard of people having problems with overheating.  i've never encountered my slimline doing that, so it wasn't heat related.  right now, UPS has my replacement and i'm going to get it tomorrow.  :)
Ininja62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Ininja62
Member since 2005 • 44 Posts
I've never had a disk error before and I've had my PS2 for 4 years.
turkmen117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 turkmen117
Member since 2005 • 2574 Posts

neither have i

i have had my for three years

DarkJageryugi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 DarkJageryugi
Member since 2005 • 33096 Posts
o kkk thought it was like somethin else but cool.
Keasy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Keasy4
Member since 2003 • 16843 Posts
there is a disk cleaner that works cuz my MGS2 game stop reading after i beat the tanker around the end. i went to my friend house clean the CD and now it works fully.
sabru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#59 sabru8
Member since 2003 • 4144 Posts
I just bought a new one and I use my first gen console as a DVD player only.
hameedox2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#60 hameedox2
Member since 2004 • 146 Posts
actually some of consoles only play original disks while others play both one of my friends gave ps2 that does not play any disk actually he has changed the optical device when i saw it i told him that any way some time optical devices are not that much good to play all games Best Regards
rob1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 rob1101
Member since 2004 • 3435 Posts
what:?

thats not true all ps2 play ps2 games
flamedisc91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#62 flamedisc91
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts
IF ANYBODY HAS ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE PS2 DISK READ ERRORS, CONTACT ME!!!!!!!!! I HAVE FIXED OVER 10 PS2 ALREADY FOR MONEY AND I CAN DO IT FOR YOU FOR FREE! IF YOU HAVE THE MODEL:SCPH 30001, THEN YOU MOST DEFINATELY HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND WILL IN THE FUTURE! ONCE AGAIN CONTACT ME AND I WILL HELP YOU!
brendandick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#63 brendandick
Member since 2004 • 3338 Posts
helpful *blows dust off the thread*
Uma-Chan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 Uma-Chan
Member since 2005 • 14901 Posts
I just bought ATV: Offroad Fury 2 and it's a good game, but the loading screen are taking a long as time to load, is there any way to cut down the loading..or?
Raseruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Raseruz
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I think my PS2 have some problem with reading, cause sometimes she reads longer than usual. Anyone has solution how to make it read fast ??
Darklord0000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Darklord0000
Member since 2004 • 4459 Posts

I just bought ATV: Offroad Fury 2 and it's a good game, but the loading screen are taking a long as time to load, is there any way to cut down the loading..or?Uma-Chan

It's just the game, that's one of the reasons why I didn't get a ATV game...

Avatar image for Iddleskittle808
Iddleskittle808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Iddleskittle808
I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but when my slimline starts clicking and refuses to load anything, I go into the ps2's menu and hit triangle on "browser", then turn the diagnosis on. Works 90% of the time. Oh, and I usually cuss it out a bit, too. I'm positive that's what really works. :)
dodgethiss007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#68 dodgethiss007
Member since 2005 • 392 Posts

maybe a sticky, helpfulRodg7790

whats up with your sig?

lan_d_best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 lan_d_best
Member since 2003 • 41 Posts
that can help
kazammm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 kazammm
Member since 2005 • 761 Posts
IF ANYBODY HAS ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE PS2 DISK READ ERRORS, CONTACT ME!!!!!!!!! I HAVE FIXED OVER 10 PS2 ALREADY FOR MONEY AND I CAN DO IT FOR YOU FOR FREE! IF YOU HAVE THE MODEL:SCPH 30001, THEN YOU MOST DEFINATELY HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND WILL IN THE FUTURE! ONCE AGAIN CONTACT ME AND I WILL HELP YOU!flamedisc91

ummm.... okay!
myiehat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 myiehat
can anyone help me with this one..i play the slim PS2(ps2 slimline?*not sure what its called*) i got this disc read error problem when i played the GTA san andreas. then i can't play the nina williams: death by degrees(can't load). i've changed the disc twice at the store..and still can't play it..i have some loading problem with other games too. but the strange thing is that i can play other games with excellent loading time...
sonichero2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 sonichero2006
lol cool
DA_POPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 DA_POPE
Spngbb_FFM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Spngbb_FFM
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Sweetness, I want to have this topic for emergancies:D
doffythebest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 doffythebest
Member since 2004 • 802 Posts
Well i don't got that problem but i'm sure it's good help.. (Don't got time to read that kong a message)
Dispellga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76 Dispellga
My ps2 had a problem, It seems each time i play a game, the ps2 goes amok like making those nasty sounds (kik kik kik) as if the disc inside were spinning very fast. Whats the problem? is this what you called the 'clicking problem'? Plz help those sounds scare me!!
Mackie_1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Mackie_1986

I find it to be useful to open up the PS2 Consoles and very carefully vacum out all the dust.

I had a read error on all my DVD's i placed in there and found that a good clean fixed all the problems, yet i still agree to clean the disks or lens first!

Mackie

Attitude2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#78 Attitude2000
Member since 2003 • 4781 Posts
Do the new slimline PS2's have this problem?
jjllrrss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79 jjllrrss
Member since 2005 • 155 Posts
thanks for your help.it worked a lot better.
yrag31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 yrag31
Member since 2004 • 1478 Posts
i think if u are experiencing these things in ur ps2 maybe you should intall a hard disk in it so you don't have to worry about disks anymore...
bunty_007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#81 bunty_007
Member since 2005 • 2543 Posts
**** man, I have same problem some times i unables to play ps2 DVD game on that **** ps2 console. my game turned to browser screen and after some time it changes to a red screen message saying: insert ps2 or ps2 DVD rom disk. ****...! do anyone here has the solution of this **** problem damit.
SaGeGaS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 SaGeGaS
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts
Really helpful!! Thanks! :p
rocket_1962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 rocket_1962
I had my PS 2 for one year and started getting disk read errors. They fixed it for free. Then eleven months later it did it again and once again they fixed it for free. Then eleven months later the laser went again and they would not fix it anymore. I was told at EB Games that the first PS 2's had a very poor laser mechanism compared to the PS 1 which had one of the best. I followed the on line guide to open the box and clean the lense. This was successful and it now works again. I have a slim version now and only use the older PS 2 as a spare unit. I hope the new slim PS 2 has a better laser than the early PS 2. Only time will tell.
tommcmurrough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 tommcmurrough
what about a disk cleaner that might do the trick.
simondale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#85 simondale
Member since 2003 • 187 Posts
oviously a cd cleaner
datret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#86 datret
Member since 2005 • 7789 Posts
  • Another solution is to open you disk tray then turn it off and spray the heck out of the tray and the slot in the ps2. (complements to jekkie)
    rob1101
  • what do we spray it with?
    gorores

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 gorores
    Member since 2004 • 119 Posts
    A BUDDY THANX FOR THE TIP
    napyhd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 napyhd
    I clean mine all the time and its old got it when they first came out and just started having probs, I live in Mn and its very dusty, becarful with disc cleaners some say not for games also be careful with compressed air will shoot liquid out , when you take top cover off there is a strap so be careful we need some pics to show people what steps to do take your time. (old school napyhd)
    napyhd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 napyhd
    like rob1101 posted this link shows pics, http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars
    rvcontre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 rvcontre
    Member since 2002 • 2834 Posts
    like rob1101 posted this link shows pics, http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.arsnapyhd
    Oh that's really cool! I was having problems playing DVDs and ICO for some reason.
    Colrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#91 Colrain
    Member since 2005 • 94 Posts
    I would reccomend the Panasonic cd lens cleaner for the ps2 disk errors
    ps21990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#92 ps21990
    Member since 2005 • 1888 Posts
    i have nt got a problem in my ps2 till now, i have been usin it from the past 2 years.
    flamedisc91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#93 flamedisc91
    Member since 2005 • 178 Posts
    the disk read errors will be shown a ps2 that is model # scph-30001. the reason you get the errors is because the electricity that is flowing through the ps2 is not balance. its not the lens, disk's, or motor's fault. to fix this, the ps2 must be opened up and there will be small yellow screws that have to either tighened or loosened depending on the screws themselves. once the screws are balanced, the flow will be balanced and the ps2 will work fine. this will never happen on a slim ps2. i found this info in the ps2 repair manual that can be purchased online and this info can be found online.
    Avatar image for AlteredInsanity
    AlteredInsanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 AlteredInsanity
    Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I have a solution that works simple and not time consuming, put scotch tape in a square around the circle so that it touches the sides top bottom of the circle on the TOP SIDE of the disk. Top as in where the picture type cover is.

darkside5001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 197

#95 darkside5001
    Member since 2004 • 385 Posts
    I dont know if this has been mentioned but toothpaste somtimes fixes disc read errors (and never fails to clean CD's that are just scratched). Just smear a line of toothpaste around the cd, grab a wet cloth and softly rub it in. After it because all watery (maybe after 5-10 seconds) clean it off with a dry cloth. If you dont beleive me try scratching a game you dont play to much up against a wall or scratch it with your fingers.
    Avatar image for InfinityDragonX
    InfinityDragonX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 InfinityDragonX
    Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
    When I tilt my PS2 about 65 degrees, some discs get read better. I find that odd, but then the PS2 does read DVD format discs better at 90 degrees and CDs better at 0 degrees. I'm not sure how well this will work for others though.
    Gorath666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Gorath666
    Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
    There are only three dvd player that have the same part as a ps2 (the laser and moter) And sony makes them. The mod chip is an other way to get more options for your ps2 rebuild. I rebuilt the ps2 and made a metal box for it with a dvd drive from a computer as the main drive for it. Have fun find out if you can.
    PLank52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#98 PLank52
    Member since 2005 • 472 Posts

I never had a disk read error on my PS2, and had it scince 2001.

farmboy89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#99 farmboy89
    Member since 2005 • 894 Posts
    nmy ps2 reads dvd format games adn dvd disks but it doesnt read cd rom disks.  it used to but now for some reason it stopped reading them.  for example, it doesnt read psone games anymore.
    samus8792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 samus8792
    Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts
    if you ever used a game cheat thing on your system it wont let you play certain games like i used a game shark and i couldnt play any jak or ratchet games on that ps2 any moreand it wont play dvds.different cheat things effect your system differently like when i used an action replay i could not play lego star wars.