Playstation 1 games that you think Have aged well over time.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by The4thVIII (372 posts) -
A lot of games in the Early 3D era from 1993 until 1999 have a lot of issues, and quite a few have aged badly. Same goes for some 2D games as well, since the Playstation had very blurry sprites due to it not having hardware for them. A lot of games I like on the Playstation I can admit have aged badly, but when it comes to what games have aged well, I usually don't see much conversation about it. So what Playstation games to you have aged well enough over time for you personally? One additional thing I would like to add is that I find most 2.5D games to have aged badly the quickest.
#2 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

Final Fantasy IX.

#3 Posted by JML897 (33131 posts) -

Final Fantasy IX.

Pixel-Perfect
Yep. The only thing that has really aged about it is how it can take a while to actually get into a fight (It does that whole "rotate camera around your party" thing). Besides that it still feels really fresh today.
#4 Posted by groowagon (2854 posts) -

Castlevania SotN. i consider that game a treasure. most epic 2d gaming experience i've ever had. still nothing like it out there.

#5 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

MY SUMMER VACATION.

#6 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
-FFIX -Chrono Cross -Star Ocean 2 -Crash Bandicoot Warped -Castlevania SOTN -Ape Escape Just off the top of my head.
#7 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

-FFIX -Chrono Cross -Star Ocean 2 -Crash Bandicoot Warped -Castlevania SOTN -Ape Escape Just off the top of my head.LittleMac19
These + MGS 1 AND Final Fantasy IX. I'm sure there are others but can't think of them atm. Good picks LittleMac19, my favorite RPG for ps1 is Star Ocean 2. Haven't played it in years though. It's pretty expensive and rare now a days.

#8 Posted by AtelierFan (1544 posts) -

Final Fantasy IX.

Pixel-Perfect
YAY!!! FFIX fan!!

Anyway, this is kind of hard to answer. If you mean "aged well when considering today's standards" then the games people have listed plus Vagrent Story (on a ps2 with the texture smoothing turned on). If you mean "aged well in the eye of the beholder", then anything I own. And then some.

#9 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -
X-Files, just look at those graphics :P
#10 Posted by Allicrombie (25359 posts) -
X-Files, just look at those graphics :Prwallacefan
:lol:
#11 Posted by judaspete (452 posts) -
Bushido Blade
#12 Posted by drekula2 (1952 posts) -

idk.  but nostalgia has.

#13 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]Final Fantasy IX.AtelierFan
YAY!!! FFIX fan!!

Definitely. It's my Ocarina of Time. :P

#14 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Pandemonium! (series)

REEL Fishing (series)

Colony Wars (series)

Resident Evil (series)

Silent Hill

Metal Gear Solid

... Have ALL aged VERY well...

#15 Posted by benleslie5 (7925 posts) -
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Crash Team Racing
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Resident Evil Series
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus
#16 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Final Fantasy IX, Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.

#17 Posted by geitenvla (960 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid and Tenchu II

#18 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
Bubsy 3D seems to get a similar reception now, as it did at launch :) But seriously though, I can still enjoy Twisted Metal 2, and will go back and play it sometimes.
#19 Posted by Yo-SUP (235 posts) -
Did you start gaming recently? I would suggest just baring with the lower graphics because there are some great games with good gameplay in the PS1 library. It may take awhile to adjust from PS3/360 though. But that's what people played in the 90's. Now if you have't then I question your intentions with this thread, because what are you comparing age to?
#20 Posted by BIGtex42 (30 posts) -

Anything with "final fantasy" in the title, namely FFIX, my opinion THE most under-rated or over looked game of all time.  also chrono cross, another awesome square product that came out and was widely over looked because of what people thought it had to live up to. Those people missed out on another great RPG

#21 Posted by rawsavon (40002 posts) -
Almost all of the sprite based RPG's - Suikiden series, Lunar 1&2, etc
#22 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
Castlevania Chronicles and Symphony of the Night.
#23 Posted by Seabas989 (10687 posts) -

Chrono Cross followed by FFIX.

#24 Posted by voljin1987 (743 posts) -

Apart from castlevania and ff ix

saga frontier 2 with its water color graphicsi mean look at it

oddworld

#25 Posted by AtelierFan (1544 posts) -

voljin1987

I don't know many people who mention ANY of the Saga games in a positive manor. SF2 is one of my favorite rpg's! I even like Unlimited!

#26 Posted by voljin1987 (743 posts) -
[QUOTE="voljin1987"]

AtelierFan

I don't know many people who mention ANY of the Saga games in a positive manor. SF2 is one of my favorite rpg's! I even like Unlimited!

i know right.. its not as bad as people make it out to be..
#27 Posted by voljin1987 (743 posts) -

sheep, dog and wolf.... another game which ppl talk so less about.. trust me metal gear solid got nothing on this game...

#28 Posted by Spinnerweb (2940 posts) -
The Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider games.
#29 Posted by AtelierFan (1544 posts) -

sheep, dog and wolf.... another game which ppl talk so less about.. trust me metal gear solid got nothing on this game...

voljin1987
! I actually played a demo of this a while back - it was hard!
#30 Posted by GaussRiemann (183 posts) -

Herc's Adventures

#31 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -
heart of darkness skullmonkeys