Playing more than a game at once?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75410 posts) -

Do you play several games at once?

Also if people have trouble finishing games, do you have any advice for i.e getting motivation and sticking to one or several games?

#2 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Well I'm always kind of playing LoL alongside whatever else. Very rarely will I start two single player games. I might stop through the middle of one and come back to it but I won't try to progress through the two games back and forth.

And yeah for motivation about backlogs? Stop caring about it. I understand getting your money's worth but if you aren't having fun with something then just drop it. Time is far more valuable than money and if isn't worth it then I won't bother. I don't have enough hours in the day for "kinda fun" experiences, I either want to play it or I don't. Buying games is pretty much a gamble that you're going to enjoy it and well, you win some you lose some.

#3 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15555 posts) -
I am often playing quite a few games at once.
#4 Posted by Namgis (3592 posts) -

Just 2. I'm a few hours into GoWII and just started GeoWII. I try not to play too many at once, if I do it's rarely the same genres.

#5 Posted by JustPlainLucas (75266 posts) -
I used to do that all the time. The problem is, I rarely finished any of the multiple games I was working on. So now for the past several years, it's been one console game and one handheld game at a time. The only time I make an exception is when I buy a new system. I have to have a bunch of games at the onset to get a good feel of the machine.
#6 Posted by Bigboi500 (31819 posts) -

Several at a time. It takes one hell of a game to keep me interested exclusively in it from start to finish... or a really short one.

#7 Posted by LordShockTitan (218 posts) -

I have been playing more than one game at once since I can remember. What I do for SP games is, I would play them until I get to a good stopping point, then I move on to the next one. For MP games, I mostly play one or two at a time.

#8 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (19353 posts) -
I committed to playing only one game of the same relative genre at a time: it keeps you focused on what you're experiencing and the lesser game does not suffer in comparison with the better one. I will play an RPG and a shooter at the same time though, why not?
#9 Posted by Apocalypse324 (1486 posts) -

I used to focus on just one game at a time but then I found myself rushing through games so I could start another game I was wanting to play. Now I just pretty much play whatever I feel like at the time...although I am trying to work my way through at least a couple of the games I have started at the moment

#10 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5688 posts) -

I only play one game at a time now. 

#11 Posted by jsmoke03 (13475 posts) -

Do you play several games at once?

Also if people have trouble finishing games, do you have any advice for i.e getting motivation and sticking to one or several games?

The_Last_Ride
unfortunately i do because i'm a mood type of player and i don't like getting stuck with a game and end up looking it up on youtube. as far as trouble beating games. register and catalog your games on backloggery.com to make a count of how many games you have that you haven't finished. play one or two games at the most. and if you just want to get through games, don't go for trophies/achievements, side quests, and put it on easy mode. backloggery helped me a lot
#12 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (7664 posts) -
Depends... In general, if a new game comes out and I'm enjoying it, then I'll only play that game until I finish it. If there's nothing to buy, then I'll usually play a couple of old games.
#13 Posted by Spartan_N7 (581 posts) -
On my Playstation, Ive been playing the God of War series 1 by 1. On my Xbox, Im playing Hitman: Absolution at the moment.
#14 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

I always have 1 or 2 going on, seeing as I'm one who likes replaying older titles. To keep from getting burnt out, I choose to play different genres so that variety keeps things interesting. You know, combine a platformer with the shooter you're currently playing, a racing game along with that RPG. Works well for me.

#15 Posted by sukraj (24425 posts) -

i play 2 games at the same time.

#16 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75410 posts) -
i am currently playing 3 games at once, but switching in between them to get some variety
#17 Posted by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

I play multiple games all the time, Its usally One on a console and then I screw around with one of my handhelds when Im outside of the house its almost never more than 2 though.

There are rare occasions when Im able to play 3 games consecutivly. at the end of 2011, I was playing MGS3HD, Skyward sword and Paper Mario, played all 3 equally for the most part every day until they were all complete. I think that only worked out because I didnt have to get up to change out any games (I know that makes me sound really lazy) MGS3 was on my ps3, skyward sword was on the wii and paper mario was on the virtual console.

#18 Posted by unrealtron (3148 posts) -
I don't play more than one story mode at once.
#19 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Nope. Only play one game before moving onto the next. I've never had an unfinished game, never.

#20 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (10126 posts) -

I try to keep to playing only one single player game at a time. I have no problem playing a multiplayer game or two in addition like GTA 4 or Gears of War 3 while playing Fallout 3 for example.

#21 Posted by PcGamingRig (7248 posts) -

if they are story heavy I tend to play them one at a time but I'll play games that aren't story heavy (shooters etc) alongside story heavy games.

#22 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75410 posts) -

if they are story heavy I tend to play them one at a time but I'll play games that aren't story heavy (shooters etc) alongside story heavy games.

PcGamingRig
i know what you mean, that's what i try to do
#23 Posted by Dexter-010 (494 posts) -
Yes I do. I pick several games I want to finish. Started last month with this, for a challange. Complete 3 out of the 4 games I had picked. This month I picked another 4 games and allready finished 2 of the 4. For nexth month I've 6 games.
#24 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12017 posts) -
I often have several games I am playing at once. I don't care if I finish most of my games due to the real world time frame of said games (the Silent Hunter series takes place over 4 to 6 years). Flight sims like MS's Flight Simulator would take forever to fly into or out of every airport in the world and see everything. There is no end to those. As far as a backlog and how big it is, I don't worry about it.
#25 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

I have a bad habit of hopping from one game to the next quite frequently. It's probably why I never finish a good chunk of my games.

#26 Posted by SoNin360 (5758 posts) -
No, I tend to have trouble switching back and forth, even on different systems. If I'm focused on a PS3 game, I probably won't touch my Vita for a while, and vice versa.
#27 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75410 posts) -

I have a bad habit of hopping from one game to the next quite frequently. It's probably why I never finish a good chunk of my games.

Lucky_Krystal
i finish them, but it takes longer for me sometimes :P
#28 Posted by ESPM400 (96 posts) -
I'm not going to count RTS games, because I usually have four or five on my computer that I can start a game with whenever I'm in the mood. SP games though, lets see, played six hours of Tomb Raider and still haven't finished it, Crusader Kings II I have a long game going, have a play on H.A.W.X 2 that I haven't finished, almost done S.T.A.L.K.E.R: CoP, have a hardcore playthrough of XCom:Enemy Unknown on the go, and I was about to install Metro 2033. That's not even counting the titles I'm playing that have no endgame, like DayZ, D.C.S A10c, and Euro Truck Simulator 2 (that last one really surprised me. I thought it would bore me to tears, but was actually quite engaging), or the pick up and play indy games like Super House of Dead Ninjas and FTL. It's one of the downsides to having the attention span of a ferret on crystal meth, I may finish games, but rarely in a normal timespan.
#29 Posted by Canuck3000 (40562 posts) -

I do, and I drop games all the time. Some I go back to, some I don't. I try to stick too one or two games at one time. (Not including my multiplayer games)

#30 Posted by safeaction (25 posts) -
I've been bouncing back and forth between Black Ops 2 and the first Assassin's Creed.
#31 Posted by xGamePlayerx19 (378 posts) -

I usually try to keep it to one single player strong story oriented game at a time, like a (J)RPG, and then throw in a game not so story oriented thats just relaxing to kick back and play, both usually on consoles, and then Ill usually have a game on my handheld as well thats just for kickin back.

#32 Posted by Megavideogamer (5759 posts) -

Yes this is possible for me to do. I have PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U. And Retro consoles. But I also have handheld consoles. PSvita, PSP so yes. I work on one game on the console. currently Gears of War Judgement and Persona 4 golden on the Vita.

So yes 2 games at "once" alternate between portable and console.

#33 Posted by The_Last_Ride (75410 posts) -

Yes this is possible for me to do. I have PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U. And Retro consoles. But I also have handheld consoles. PSvita, PSP so yes. I work on one game on the console. currently Gears of War Judgement and Persona 4 golden on the Vita.

So yes 2 games at "once" alternate between portable and console.

Megavideogamer
So do you have a game for each console?
#34 Posted by codymcclain14 (6017 posts) -
Never used too, But lately I've had a few games that I wanted to beat, and kinda just switched between them. untill one of them got me hooked.
#35 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Playing Xcom(new one) while playing monster hunter 3 ultimate(first time I've ever played a monster hunter and loving it) right now.

But I can't play two story Intensive games at once.

#36 Posted by Mo-licious (602 posts) -
I usually have multiple games going on at the same time. I'm the main gamer in the family so I play whatever I'm hankering. If my husband feels like playing a couch coop game then I totally take advantage as we have a blast playing together. As for inspiration, sometimes if a game is 'losing me' I'll start it from scratch to get a fresh perspective. I did that with Deus Ex where I thought the stealthy approach was for me. Lost interest then started again. Loved the game! Whatever works! :)
#37 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
quite a few multiplayer games at a time but only 2 or 3 single-player games maximum concurrently
#38 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

I always play one at a time.  I'm a little OCD when it comes to completing games so I'll make sure I beat said game I'm playing through before buying a new one.

#39 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Also should add that I have trouble playing two games of the same genre especially rpgs so I try not to.

#40 Posted by G-Lord (2134 posts) -

Also should add that I have trouble playing two games of the same genre especially rpgs so I try not to.

t1striker

I usually play several games at once, but also all in different genres.

#41 Posted by heatsword (25 posts) -

I usually only play 1 game at once and till it's done. but if something in said game starts repeating itself and i suspect it might go on for a longer time I sometimes start up a second game.

#42 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18434 posts) -
I always have multiple games going, when I need a break I go to the other.. although I do try to finish the main one.
#43 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -
I've always done that. It used to be 8-10 at once or something silly. I keep it down to 4-5 at a time now and avoid buying games straight away.
#44 Posted by Archangel3371 (16690 posts) -
I'll usually play 2 or 3 games at the same time but they're typically from different genres. For example if I'm playing an RPG I'll sometimes play an FPS, TPS, racing, or fighting game.
#45 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

I've always done that. It used to be 8-10 at once or something silly. I keep it down to 4-5 at a time now and avoid buying games straight away.Floppy_Jim

8-10 wow I think 4-5 is still to much for me, unless your talking small cell phones games(which I wouldn't even really count).

#46 Posted by DecadesOfGaming (3100 posts) -

I've usually got a RPG and a FPS on the go.

#47 Posted by Cyberdot (3926 posts) -

Playing a single game straight to the end doesn't work for me since I would like to play a different game when I fancy a break from the game I'm playing. I find it quite frustrating and tiring if I stick to the same game over a long period of time.

But I don't like having lots of unfinished games laying around, so I tend to play a maximum of 3 games at once.