PGD Recommendation Thread - Post "What game do I buy?" questions here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#351 Posted by xxKai (2689 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kocelot"]

My favorite genre is shooters.

I hated Operation Flashpoint and Vanquish(i think im the only one)..

Are there any good single player games that have a good campaign?

My birthday was on 'judgement' day and I got about 150$ to spend.

WHat games would you recommend?

Oh and just cuz I like shooters a lot doesnt mean Im not open to other genres!

Im a very open minded person. And am willing to try new genres.

I have played Bioshock, COD series, FEAR series,Gears and Halo.

turtlethetaffer

There's an upcoming game called RAGE that looks like it may have what you're looking for. Now it hasn't been released, but it's main focus is supposed to be campaign and story.

Of I've heard of that one, I'm gonna look that up

#352 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Kocelot"]

xxKai

There's an upcoming game called RAGE that looks like it may have what you're looking for. Now it hasn't been released, but it's main focus is supposed to be campaign and story.

Of I've heard of that one, I'm gonna look that up

Yeah looks pretty cool for what I've seen but Bethesda had a hand in making it so I'll wait to see if there are bugs and such and how good the Single Player game is. Since I don't have Live SP is all I'm concerned for.

#353 Posted by jealousofme (167 posts) -
Is Lost Odyssey that good of a game? Lots of reviews said they loved it, then there are people that detest it. Any opinions?
#354 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2756 posts) -

Is Lost Odyssey that good of a game? Lots of reviews said they loved it, then there are people that detest it. Any opinions?jealousofme

There will always be people that hate on great games. Just go with what the majority says. There are people who detest FF9, Uncharted 2, The Witcher 2, Baldur's Gate(crazy I know)...

Critics average(71 reviews): 8.0
Users votes (6001): 8.5

With that being said, it is pretty obvious that it holds up and should definitely be worth it, especially considering the ridiculously low price it should be by now.

#355 Posted by Saansilt (16 posts) -
Hey guys, i am looking for a good game with dinosaurs. I have both a 360 and ps3 so i can handle most. I already have turok and my favorite so far is dino crisis 2 on ps. Also if anyone can reccomend a non-fantasy mmo (preferably with dinosaurs) that would help.
#356 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

Hey guys, i am looking for a good game with dinosaurs. I have both a 360 and ps3 so i can handle most. I already have turok and my favorite so far is dino crisis 2 on ps. Also if anyone can reccomend a non-fantasy mmo (preferably with dinosaurs) that would help.Saansilt

Well there's Monster Hunter Tri... but that's on Wii. The enemies are dinosaur like.

#357 Posted by Warren2007 (76 posts) -
i'm looking for a fast paced fighting game for ps3, i've got SSF4 and BlazBlue calamity trigger i was thinking about BB continuum shift, but was king of hoping for a new game rather than a sequel
#358 Posted by TheOtherTheoG (2287 posts) -

Kocelot

Mass Effect 1 and 2 might please you (whilst 2 is the better game, DO NOT skip straight to it, play ME1 first and import the save game). It's a third person cover shooter RPG hybrid, think Gears of War meets Knights of the Old Republic in gameplay, where you can choose everything that you characters says, and what he says and does directly effects the story, which BTW, is fantastic. You can import your save game from the first into the second, so your choices in the first game carry over into the second, and soon the third, game.

#359 Posted by Dracula68 (33102 posts) -

(whilst 2 is the better game,

TheOtherTheoG

I should moderate you for trolling but I won't.:P

#360 Posted by Nopozyzy (338 posts) -

Does anyone know any fun co-op Racing or RTS games. I'm looking for a racing game where two people can play the main/story mode or an RTS game with any form of co-op.

#361 Posted by allthatdown (1227 posts) -

are the other shin megami tensei games on ps2 worth buying, I have yet to play Persona 3 and 4 but the other series (Devil Summoner and Lucifer's call) are going pretty cheap atm so just wondering if they are worth playing. I'm a big fan of most JRPGS.

#362 Posted by KazDoubleO2 (13 posts) -

Hey guys, i'm looking for a game to buy.. i got LA noire, but i have alot of money left with nothing to really buy so i think i'll go for the sly cooper colelction. man, sly cooper games were my childhood.. they were great! I think i'll buy them today. But do you reccomend any other? I'm a fan of third person adventures, with action in them so I loved LA noire, just could have used abit more action

#363 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

Hey guys, i'm looking for a game to buy.. i got LA noire, but i have alot of money left with nothing to really buy so i think i'll go for the sly cooper colelction. man, sly cooper games were my childhood.. they were great! I think i'll buy them today. But do you reccomend any other? I'm a fan of third person adventures, with action in them so I loved LA noire, just could have used abit more action

KazDoubleO2

I'm assuming you have a PS3. You could try Red Dead Redemption. It was made by Rockstar (same people who made LA Noire or at least had a hand in making it) and has much more shooting. However it's short and some of the missions are just annoying. Like rodeoing horses and stuff.

#364 Posted by TH3xD4RKNESS (45 posts) -

Okay guys, I am looking for a good 360 game that is below $60. I want to play a good RPG, that I can get a lot of playing time out of. Maybe Oblivion or something like that.(Please don't recommend any of the Fallout games or Mass Effect 2; I didn't like Fallout3, soI'm pretty sureI wouldn't likeNew Vegas, and I already have ME2.) I was also thinking about finding Bad Company 2 used before BF3 comes out, but I think I'm getting burnt out on shooters at the moment.

#365 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

Okay guys, I am looking for a good 360 game that is below $60. I want to play a good RPG, that I can get a lot of playing time out of. Maybe Oblivion or something like that.(Please don't recommend any of the Fallout games or Mass Effect 2; I didn't like Fallout3, soI'm pretty sureI wouldn't likeNew Vegas, and I already have ME2.) I was also thinking about finding Bad Company 2 used before BF3 comes out, but I think I'm getting burnt out on shooters at the moment.

TH3xD4RKNESS

From what I've heard, Bue Dragon is good, as well as Lost Odyseey. Also I've heard mixed things about Final Fantasy XIII. All I know is that I'm interested in the latter of the 2 games I mentioned and will probably be picking them up soon.

#366 Posted by TH3xD4RKNESS (45 posts) -
Lost Odyssey sounds pretty good, but I'm more interested in Western RPGs.
#367 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

Lost Odyssey sounds pretty good, but I'm more interested in Western RPGs.TH3xD4RKNESS

Oh. well then I don't know if I can help you. I'm not too familiar with any WRPG's on 360 other than the Mass Effect games and Dragon Age and Fallout.

#368 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

Hey everyone I'm looking for a good horror game on 360. I don't have access to Live, and I have Dead Space 1 and 2 as well as Silent Hill Homecoming. Thanks in advance.

#369 Posted by TH3xD4RKNESS (45 posts) -
Resident Evil 5 and F.E.A.R. 1 and 2 are the only horror games I can think of at the moment.
#370 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

Resident Evil 5 and F.E.A.R. 1 and 2 are the only horror games I can think of at the moment.TH3xD4RKNESS

Lol forgot to mention I also have FEAR1 and RE5.

#371 Posted by bhanot_rishabh (3 posts) -

First of all i am sorry if the question has already been asked before and answered ..

I got this new xbox 360 . i wont be playing xbox live online because my Internet is pretty bad (High Ping). therefore i was looking for some multiplayer games that i can play on the same console on the same tv with my friends. i guess thats known as local/offline multiplayer or whatever.

anyways games that offer splitscreen, or the gameplay takes place in one screen. also some fps that have multiplayer in splitscreen, multiplayer splitscreen with bots that can be added just to increase the no. of players playing, and yeah co op missions with splitscreen or however they work .. no genre in general .. :)

what games i know are smackdown vs raw and fifa (won't really be playing any other sports game)

do suggest some nice racing and fps games that have the above.. and then after anything and everything .. ;)

Thanks in advance, Tc

#372 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

First of all i am sorry if the question has already been asked before and answered ..

I got this new xbox 360 . i wont be playing xbox live online because my Internet is pretty bad (High Ping). therefore i was looking for some multiplayer games that i can play on the same console on the same tv with my friends. i guess thats known as local/offline multiplayer or whatever.

anyways games that offer splitscreen, or the gameplay takes place in one screen. also some fps that have multiplayer in splitscreen, multiplayer splitscreen with bots that can be added just to increase the no. of players playing, and yeah co op missions with splitscreen or however they work .. no genre in general .. :)

what games i know are smackdown vs raw and fifa (won't really be playing any other sports game)

do suggest some nice racing and fps games that have the above.. and then after anything and everything .. ;)

Thanks in advance, Tc

bhanot_rishabh

Left 4 Dead 2has local MP and is very fun to play with friends. It's a zombie apocalypse game.

#374 Posted by bhanot_rishabh (3 posts) -

[QUOTE="bhanot_rishabh"]

Thanks in advance, Tc

turtlethetaffer

Left 4 Dead 2has local MP and is very fun to play with friends. It's a zombie apocalypse game.

Thanx for the quick reply .. L4D 2 .. looks fun i'l get .. but if u can please suggest me few more titles .. actually i just got my console from canada .. and i live in india .. different regions .. so was planning to buy a few games before going back ...

by the way any of those big titles like cod or battlefield has anything i am looking for .. ?

#375 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

[QUOTE="bhanot_rishabh"]

Thanks in advance, Tc

bhanot_rishabh

Thanx for the quick reply .. L4D 2 .. looks fun i'l get .. but if u can please suggest me few more titles .. actually i just got my console from canada .. and i live in india .. different regions .. so was planning to buy a few games before going back ...

by the way any of those big titles like cod or battlefield has anything i am looking for .. ?

Well COD does have split screen, but Battlefeild doesn't. So if you are buying for that I'd say get COD.

#376 Posted by Tomas-NW1 (1 posts) -
Recently I bought Blur for XBOX 360 on Com Shop store (www.com-shop.co.uk)......Great racing experience!
#377 Posted by KeredsBlaze (2049 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kocelot"]

maybe try crysis 2
Is Lost Odyssey that good of a game? Lots of reviews said they loved it, then there are people that detest it. Any opinions?jealousofme
it all depends on how well you like JRPGs and the classic turn based battle system, if you enjoy that, you will love it--great story
#379 Posted by Weenski (1078 posts) -
Hi, sorry for posting this here but I've tried in the 'Sony freebie' threads and had no luck. For the 2 free games, I'm going for Infamous (I don't really like open games but it looks amazing). For the second choice I'm torn between LBP and Wipeout HD. I love platformers but I don't really like LBP's look. And I am currently playing GT5, but would it be wise to get Wipeout (another racer)? What do you think? LBP or Wipeout HD? Thanks.
#380 Posted by WhatsaGoon2aGob (12 posts) -

Thanks in advance, Tc

bhanot_rishabh
Gears of war 1 and 2 both army of twos, borderlands, resident evil 5, also rainbowsix vegas 2 are all fun offline coop
#381 Posted by jirca87 (539 posts) -

I'm looking for a good local co-op game to play with my wife for any of the three consoles. I'm pretty open to games and experienced, but she's not that great at them.She games she likes to play include the Lego games, LittleBigPlanet, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, and theHalo series. She is not very good at moving and firing, so please keep that in mind when recommending games. She also generally doesn't like the idea of killing people, so no games like Borderlands or even Left 4 Dead. Finally, Donkey Kong Country Returns was too difficult for her, so please bear difficulty in mind. Finally, just no to Gears of War or pure party games.

If anyone could please recommend some more games we could play together, it would really be appreciated.

#382 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

I'm looking for a good local co-op game to play with my wife for any of the three consoles. I'm pretty open to games and experienced, but she's not that great at them.She games she likes to play include the Lego games, LittleBigPlanet, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, and theHalo series. She is not very good at moving and firing, so please keep that in mind when recommending games. She also generally doesn't like the idea of killing people, so no games like Borderlands or even Left 4 Dead. Finally, Donkey Kong Country Returns was too difficult for her, so please bear difficulty in mind. Finally, just no to Gears of War or pure party games.

If anyone could please recommend some more games we could play together, it would really be appreciated.

jirca87

Sounds like Super Smash Brothers Brawl is the game for you. Up to 4 people can play at a time, and the difficulty is whatever you want it to be. I'd reccomend that for her, unless she dislikes the idea of cartoony characters beating up on eachother in which case don't get it.

#383 Posted by jirca87 (539 posts) -

[QUOTE="jirca87"]

turtlethetaffer

Sounds like Super Smash Brothers Brawl is the game for you. Up to 4 people can play at a time, and the difficulty is whatever you want it to be. I'd reccomend that for her, unless she dislikes the idea of cartoony characters beating up on eachother in which case don't get it.

Thanks, but I guess I should have been clearer: I'm looking for something for us to play together, not against each other. I am usually better than her at games and it never ends well. Besides, I hated Brawl compared to its predecessors and sold it a couple years ago.

#384 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

[QUOTE="jirca87"]

jirca87

Thanks, but I guess I should have been clearer: I'm looking for something for us to play together, not against each other. I am usually better than her at games and it never ends well. Besides, I hated Brawl compared to its predecessors and sold it a couple years ago.

Oh... well does she mind killing aliens? You could get Halo reach maybe, because that has co op campaign. Also Gears of war. Very bloody but you're killing aliens the entire time.

#385 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2756 posts) -

jirca87

While I haven't played this myself...

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/26513621

Coop while in battle mode but unfortunately only 1 can "run around" rest of time, I guess you can let her do that, or switch controls.

Good reasons from the Gamespot reviews that I think might be positive for this:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/talesofvesperia/review.html?tag=summary%3Bread-review

"You can win many battles with mindless button mashing

• Excellent cast of characters
  • Long, intriguing story that draws you in
  • Combat is slick and flashy
  • Gorgeous visuals. "

A pretty game, with no heavy gore, with an interesting story filled with interesting characters that is not too hard in combat.

Seems pretty perfect I guess? :P

Edit: There's also another lower rated Tales of... game on the Wii:
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/talesofsymphonia2/review.html?tag=summary%3Bread-review

#386 Posted by jirca87 (539 posts) -

[QUOTE="jirca87"]

turtlethetaffer

Oh... well does she mind killing aliens? You could get Halo reach maybe, because that has co op campaign. Also Gears of war. Very bloody but you're killing aliens the entire time.

She's doesn't care about aliens, which is why I said in my original post that she does like the Halo series. We've already played them all on co-op together. With regard to GeOW, I said in my post no to that - it would be too unnecessarily violent for her. I've playedboth Gears before and I'm not even a fan ofthem for that reason.

#387 Posted by ycdeo (2526 posts) -

go buy jamesbond nightfire , samurai warriors 2 , vanhelsing but they are of ps2 version.

#388 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

[QUOTE="jirca87"]

jirca87

She's doesn't care about aliens, which is why I said in my original post that she does like the Halo series. We've already played them all on co-op together. With regard to GeOW, I said in my post no to that - it would be too unnecessarily violent for her. I've playedboth Gears before and I'm not even a fan ofthem for that reason.

Oh sorry didn't notice that. Well I really can't help you then, I haven't played alot of co op games other than the ones you and I have mentioned.

#389 Posted by KeredsBlaze (2049 posts) -
[QUOTE="jirca87"]

I kind of have the same problem as you, have you tried playing Wii Sports or something like that?
#390 Posted by jirca87 (539 posts) -

[QUOTE="jirca87"]

KeredsBlaze

I kind of have the same problem as you, have you tried playing Wii Sports or something like that?

Yes,but unfortunately we can only play against each other instead of with each other.That, and while heavy story games are too much for her, there needs to be at least some sort of drive to keep playing. On a related note: thanks for the Tales of VesperiarecommendationxWoW_Rougex, but after checking it out I don't think she would enjoy it very much. It was definitely a good try though.

#391 Posted by TheOtherTheoG (2287 posts) -

[QUOTE="jirca87"]

turtlethetaffer

Try Portal 2 co-op maybe, that seems like it could be what you want, not certain though.
#392 Posted by GSB93 (97 posts) -

I love free-roaming sandbox games with endless stuff to do like GTA San Andreas, GTA4, Red Dead Redemption, etc. Should I get L.A. Noire or is it a constrictive, linear storyline like Mafia II?

#393 Posted by madara092115 (14 posts) -
get Aika Global, try to download and let's see what you can say, other thing is, it's Free! =)
#394 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4878 posts) -
I'm contenplating Mount and Blade: Warband and wondering if it's any good as I'm still not sure what to make of it from the review. I see Warband is stand alone, but what does the original Mount and Blade offer me if the expansion is suppose to be an improvement? (something that's not made clear by the description given by Steam). I'm not strickly a mainstream gamer so complicated, deep games don't worry me.
#395 Posted by alcatraz44 (4 posts) -
i just graduated and now its summer so honestly i just need something to do. i was leaning toward a shooter and looking at crysis 2, homefront, and halo reach. so first of all which of those would you recommend? secondly, what about fifa 11 or portal 2 or any other games you would like to suggest? but right now im really looking at the first three i suggested
#396 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

I love free-roaming sandbox games with endless stuff to do like GTA San Andreas, GTA4, Red Dead Redemption, etc. Should I get L.A. Noire or is it a constrictive, linear storyline like Mafia II?

GSB93

LA Noire's structure is open world, but that's there purley for "immersion" as Rockstar puts it and there are 43 (?) side tasks to do, but, past that, as I'm aware of, there's not much to do.

#397 Posted by RationMan (341 posts) -
Which should I get for my zombie fix? Dead Rising 2 or Red Dead Undead Nightmare?
#398 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16717 posts) -

Which should I get for my zombie fix? Dead Rising 2 or Red Dead Undead Nightmare?RationMan

I beleive dead Rising 2 is longer, as well as more over the top (with weapon making and such). However, the save system can be unforgiving (no checkpoints) and some of the Psycopath bosses are cheap more than they are challenging.

Undead Nightmare is shorter, and uses them same mechanics as RDR. However, the headshots are excellently satisfying. But the overworld is somewhat boring when not killing zombies, because it takes forever for a town to get attacked, and it's easy to clear out when you reach it. UDN is definitley the easier of the 2 games, and it's shorter.

Hope this helps.

#399 Posted by RationMan (341 posts) -
Thank you! I will say that I didn't care for dead rising 1, the controls just sucked, and hated the save system. I think I will go with RDUN! Also, I heard something about a missing persons side missions in UN, what exactly is that? Is it sort of like the bounty huntin in the main campaign?
#400 Posted by alcatraz44 (4 posts) -
im sorry i dont mean to double post but after doing research all day id like to refine my previous post. I'm now deciding between crysis 2 and halo reach, but still also fifa. Im looking for something that gives a good overall experience