PewDiePie amasses me!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bmaw69 (13 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/user/PewDiePie

The guy has over 23 million subs. All he does in his videos is scream and make godawful jokes about rape. Yet, he makes a lot of money and he does what we would all like to do. Play video games for a living!

It's estimated he makes $9 million a year on You Tube.

:(

#2 Posted by Nanomage (2304 posts) -

Good for him,he was smart enough to figure out what kind of content his demographic is interested into and it worked,kudos to the guy. I can´t stand his videos though.

#3 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (655 posts) -

Look up SSSniperWolf and AngryJoe. Sniper has millions of subs for being a hot girl (whoever says they watch her vids for her COD playthroughs and Cosplay is a liar) and AngryJoe just makes really funny but informal reviews about video games he hates or likes. Meytal Cohen isn't a gamer but has millions of subs also for being a hot girl. Even though she's a cute face, her drum covers really are SICK! Erock is another successful youtuber who plays guitar. He plays video game, movie, and television show music by making them metal. Look up Final Fantasy Meets Metal or Terminator Meets Metal, those are my favorites.

#4 Posted by bmaw69 (13 posts) -

@Nanomage said:

Good for him,he was smart enough to figure out what kind of content his demographic is interested into and it worked,kudos to the guy. I can´t stand his videos though.

Do you really think he was that smart, or maybe he was at the right place at the right time. I seriously doubt he stayed up late and thought to himself, hey maybe if I act like an idiot and talk about rape I will get more subs.

First, he's a good looking guy and a lot of young girls like him. Second, he's from Sweden and has an accent. He's different and this appeals to his American viewers. It sets him apart from mostly everyone else who does those Let's Play videos. Third, he is engaging and is funny at times. Humor is a very subjective thing. What you might find funny another person might find repulsive or boring. Fourth, he's an enduring person who people can relate to. They feel connected when they view his videos.

Nothing against him. He's a very fortunate person .

#5 Posted by Nanomage (2304 posts) -

@bmaw69 said:

@Nanomage said:

Do you really think he was that smart, or maybe he was at the right place at the right time. I seriously doubt he stayed up late and thought to himself, hey maybe if I act like an idiot and talk about rape I will get more subs.

First, he's a good looking guy and a lot of young girls like him. Second, he's from Sweden and has an accent. He's different and this appeals to his American viewers. It sets him apart from mostly everyone else who does those Let's Play videos. Third, he is engaging and is funny at times. Humor is a very subjective thing. What you might find funny another person might find repulsive or boring. Fourth, he's an enduring person who people can relate to. They feel connected when they view his videos.

Yes,it certainly was a case of being at the right place at the right time,the sort of thing he does was fairly unique at the time(but not unheard of)and he got big pretty fast,but obviously he has an understanding of why he has gotten big surely,wich is why even now that the "market" is flooded wih similar personalities he´s the one that still keeps growing the most,to the extent that he is now the most subscribed youtube channel in the world,sadly.

#6 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

I think it's better that I don't know who this is.

#7 Posted by SoNin360 (5198 posts) -

I don't understand the popularity either, although I know the general age group of his fan base his fairly young. I've seen a few of his videos. He's just really obnoxious. I didn't find him offensive or anything, but I'm still baffled that he's the most subscribed YouTuber.

#8 Posted by CrimsonBrute (23069 posts) -

@Some-Mist: Be grateful you don't and hope you never find out.

#9 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68863 posts) -

Good for him, he made it. Doesn't mean i can stand the guy or that i think the he produces anything worthwhile

#10 Posted by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

i couldn't agree more, i get so sick of hearing about that annoying douche in every comment section on youtube, his vids are not funny even in the slightest their just... well.. annoying. if you wanna see a truly hilarious gameplay commentator look up "penguinz" guy goes by the name "cr1tikal" and that dude will literally have you in tears laughing.. as for this pewdie dweeb, i have no clue why he's so popular, even worse are his fans, they make it a point to troll each and every gameplay vid thats not his own, despite the fact that pewdie himself has said he does not condone that type of behavior, i think most of his fans are just easily misled kids who are only obsessed with him because everyone else is, "the herd mentality" at its finest.

#11 Posted by o0squishy0o (2754 posts) -

@bmaw69 said:

@Nanomage said:

How can you be stupid and make as much money as he does in such a consistent way? He knows what he needs to do to get people to watch his videos and to keep his fans happy. Its obvious because his videos (I have seen probably at most 10 of them) are the same sort of video now with the same jokes and humour in everyone.

He was in the right place at the right time, but he put himself there. The guy doesn't seem like an idiot and obviously knows what he is doing... again referring back to the consistency of his videos.

I have even seen some of his "fans" notice how the guy has changed however; obviously the success and ageing has had an effect on him and it will be as such that he may struggle to have the same pull on people in 5 years time.

Personally what I think he has done is great and should be commended. I'am not a fan of the videos he makes but I can see why people will like him and he has been smart enough to maximise his opportunity.

#12 Edited by naz99 (985 posts) -

Amasses you?

How many of you are there does he gather you all up at the same time in the same place...that must weigh alot.

#13 Posted by Neonakaa (78 posts) -

@bmaw69: Game theory explained it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgMqhEMhVV8

#14 Posted by jwsoul (5291 posts) -

@bmaw69:

I just watched that montage and to be fair i loled quite a bit. Especially the part where he is wearing his girlfreinds high heels. He's good looking he has a fit girl and he's funny and now rich so yeah sorted. Not my cup of tea mind but that video was funny tho as someone i would watch no. A montage works but i could not stand the constant silliness.

#15 Posted by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

LOL @ all the "he's good looking" comments.. you can't be serious, the goofy fruity bastard looks like a young drug addicted Jim Carrey, kinda resembles a grown up cabbage patch kid, his eye's constantly look like their about to bulge out of his skull which is downright creepy and the only reason he has that semi-hot gf is obviously cause of his money and youtube famous attention.

#16 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

I think his fame and wealth are indicators of Humanity's preference for garbage over quality. Think of the most successful singers (e.g. Katy Perry, Ke$ha, etc); they all suck and there are much better singers who can only dream of being as successful. Humans are stupid creatures. Stupid.

#17 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16380 posts) -

Yeah he's obnoxious as dick. I watched a few hours worth of his videos, though, because a lot of the horror games he played looked cool. I stuck through it to see what kind of games they were and how they concluded, but the entire time I was thinking "This would be so much better if he'd shut his fucking mouth and comment every once in a while." Plus, people who actually think he's being legit are morons. There's no way in hell anyone can be as neurotic as he is when playing a horror game.

all that being said, it speaks to his knowledge of peoples' preferences that he makes so much money. Honestly, if all I had to do was be obnoxious in front of a camera while playing a horror game, I'd do it.

#18 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13703 posts) -

I think it's pure genius.

He exploited the Youtube algorithm and he appeals to idiots, which is the majority these days.

#19 Edited by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

I think his fame and wealth are indicators of Humanity's preference for garbage over quality. Think of the most successful singers (e.g. Katy Perry, Ke$ha, etc); they all suck and there are much better singers who can only dream of being as successful. Humans are stupid creatures. Stupid.

^^^ THIS and THIS.

#20 Posted by Flubbbs (2799 posts) -

PewDiePie is at his best when hes playing scary games

#21 Posted by loafofgame (370 posts) -

I disagree. Quality is just one factor. It has to do with appeal. There are plenty of great singers who are extremely successful. There are plenty of talented people who are widely recognised. Also, maybe these much better singers don't dream of being just as successful; maybe they just want to sing because that's what they like to do. Maybe they don't feel the need to appeal to the largest audience. Or maybe it's what they express that doesn't appeal to the largest audience.

Katy Perry (or PewDiePie, etc.) represents much more than just quality. She, and all the other singers out there, represents an attitude, a desire, a social context, a mood. And with that entire package she appeals to an audience. Quality is only one of many factors when it comes to being widely successful.

#22 Posted by Jacanuk (3622 posts) -

@bmaw69 said:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PewDiePie

The guy has over 23 million subs. All he does in his videos is scream and make godawful jokes about rape. Yet, he makes a lot of money and he does what we would all like to do. Play video games for a living!

It's estimated he makes $9 million a year on You Tube.

:(

I think you can be pretty sure that he doesn't make 9mill a year on YT, he might make 5 figures around 500-600.000$ which is still very very good for someone who does nothing but scream on camera and have no real talent other then Charisma and the ability to draw in idiots.

But he is still a swedish muppet and his fame makes me sad for humanity.

#23 Edited by Kevlar101 (5971 posts) -

Like -paranorman- said, Angry Joe is a really good one. He is mildly energetic (so he is not too juvenile, but is still fun to watch at the same time), his reviews are honest and thorough, and best of all: fair. His skits are funny as hell (most of the time), and he is not biased and bought out like reviewers on "professional" game sites.

He is really cool.

#24 Posted by Iridion-II (1343 posts) -

Barely heard of this dude, don't know anything else.

#25 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Barely heard of this dude, don't know anything else.

Same here. Though after reading the comments in this thread, I don't think I want to know.

#26 Edited by Korvus (2351 posts) -

I remember watching an interview with him saying that his fans are a bunch of retards and if he can make tons of money by acting retarded as well, then it's an easy living to squeeze money out of idiots (I'm paraphrasing). I assumed he created that persona for the attention but I never expected him to have so much contempt for the people who made him so much money...

#27 Posted by Darkmoone1 (2806 posts) -

I remember back when I watched his recently uploaded Ao Oni videos because I had heard of the game, was interested, and this was the first youtuber that came up. I personally thought that at the time he was an entertaining person with a modest amount of subscribers( it was about 30k at the time.). Then in a 6-8 month period his subscription total exploded as he deviated from the usual entertainment I would expect(Which was horror games. Nowadays they are few inbetween.).

Have been unsubscribed for awhile. I could never quite understand how he grew in popularity so quickly, especially when there are other youtubers out there in the gaming genre with similar or better forms of entertainment.

#28 Posted by Netret0120 (1886 posts) -

I wish i could do that for a living:-(

9million a year to game?! I'd quit my job in a heartbeat.

#29 Posted by ZyroXZ2 (66 posts) -

I did plenty of studying of successful YouTube channels before I started my own, and I have to agree with the sentiments in this thread. When I watched PewDiePie, I was literally thinking "this is no better than a lot of the start up shows I came across". All his squealing and cussing just made me quickly move on to the next "rich YouTuber" on my list to study.

I basically have NO clue how he is so successful (I mean, I DO, but I mean, seriously...). I will never understand nor want to understand what the actual psychological state of his demographic audience is.

#30 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68863 posts) -

Why does he get away with rape jokes though?

#31 Posted by Darkmoone1 (2806 posts) -

Because the mass of the viewers don't bother to call it so long as they are entertained in the end. Usually the way he does it is how he spins it as a comedic tone and not in an awkward way.

No one catches on because of that reason.

#32 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68863 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Because the mass of the viewers don't bother to call it so long as they are entertained in the end. Usually the way he does it is how he spins it as a comedic tone and not in an awkward way.

No one catches on because of that reason.

I cringed when i saw him at VGX