Peoples Issue With The Party's Wardrobe In Final Fantasy XV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By moinsyyed
Member since 2014 • 181 Posts

This is still a point of much contention. People moaning and laughing about what the party are 'wearing'. Some people say 'they look like cosplayers'. Who are they cosplaying as I ask. Themselves? Tetsuya Nomura has stated, in one interview (the only interview he's given worth a damn) about being inspired by Baz Luhrmann's 'Romeo and Juliet'. What was that film about? A Shakespeare play (notice the references within the early versus XIII trailers to 'hamlet'). What was different? The setting. How were the Montague's and Capulet's dressed?

Yes,

See any similarities between them and the FFXV party, any conceptual similarities between the 2 projects. Do you see the picture now? This is a 'fantasy based on reality' just as baz luhrmanns 'romeo and juliet' was a old play redadapted to tell the story in a modern setting, while retaining thematic elements from the play. It was jarring, but that is the impact they're going for in final fantasy XV too. Telling an old story (fantasy) in a grounded way (based on reality), retaining thematic elements from those older games. Fair enough the character design is through a Japanese lens, but you see my point.

Now here's a look at the final fantasy XV party...

angelcrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 angelcrr
Member since 2015 • 254 Posts

The mindset of a gamer has changed dramatically if we are concerned about what the characters are wearing??? What happened to just falling in love with the character's personality, their growth, and just playing the game for the fun it provides. I don't know what the gaming community is coming to when we focus on things that are insignificant.

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By moinsyyed

@angelcrr: agreed, but even with that aside, from a creative standpoint there is a rationale behind why they're indeed dressed that way. I can sort of understand that it would be jarring for people, but I don't think people should get hung up on it. I'd say how they're dressed is pretty tame compared to the flamboyant outfits of older FF's lol. It's funny how the same people hating are the same people who will tend to always pick up JRPG's with anime cliches anyway (another criticism levelled at the little we've seen of FFXV) lol

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

They look less like cosplayers and more like douchebags who should be savagely beaten with sturdy sticks

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 moinsyyed

@Black_Knight_00: Why does the way they're dressed make them douchebags? A lot of Japanese teenagers dress like noctis, gladiolus looks like he just walked off the set of 'sons of anarchy', Ignis looks like a chauffeur and prompto looks transgender. But how does any of that make them 'douchebags'?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I like that they dress eccentric like that. I certainly don't have a problem with that.

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 moinsyyed

@Archangel3371: the only issue I have is that noctis' english voice actor sounds way older than the character looks.

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 moinsyyed

@drarcadius: cleavage is bound to happen in JRPG's but as long as it isnt facepalmingly (if that is a word) sexist lol

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@moinsyyed said:

@Black_Knight_00: Why does the way they're dressed make them douchebags? A lot of Japanese teenagers dress like noctis, gladiolus looks like he just walked off the set of 'sons of anarchy', Ignis looks like a chauffeur and prompto looks transgender. But how does any of that make them 'douchebags'?

I don't know which one is which, sorry. What I know is I'd love to see them spend some "quality time" with Kazuma Kiryu

Loading Video...

Especially at the 0:44 mark and the 2:24 mark.

Don't judge me: I can't stand posers.

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 moinsyyed

@Black_Knight_00: speaking of yakuza, they could have named final fantasy versus XIII 'the bouncer 2' and everyone would have been fine with it lol

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Black_Knight_00

@moinsyyed said:

@Black_Knight_00: speaking of yakuza, they could have named final fantasy versus XIII 'the bouncer 2' and everyone would have been fine with it lol

Ghh... the guy in the middle is basically brown-hair Tidus, and I hate Tidus more than words can express.

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By moinsyyed

@Black_Knight_00: that and the fact the dude is basically wearing a fucking dog collar lollllllll

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#14 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'm not upset by it, but my issue is that for the past several FFs, since FFX, they have really let creativity flourish when it comes to costume design. Flashy, colorful, asymmetric, daring, memorable. Who can forget Lulu's black dress or Vaan's vest? All I see in FFXV is just... black. A set of outfits that wouldn't look too far out of place if you were walking in downtown New York. It lacks any sort of adjective that made Final Fantasy ... fantasy.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

they look much better than most of the stuff I see in JRPGs today, with their big collars and bright clothes, looking like they just stepped out of Flash Gordon. I really don't see how anyone could have a problem with those characters. I feel like you're hiding something...that one character that's just too ridiculous and you don't want to show him because it will wreck your argument. But what I see there is fine.

Howevah, I just know that guy with the glasses is going to slide them back up his nose every time a word comes out of his mouth, and it's irritating me already.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I'm pretty tired of the "Final Fantasy now has guns and it's kind of modern I guess" look that the past few have had. I have no faith left in it. Everyone turn your attention towards Bravely Second and forget about the FF franchise.

And the party members look like a douchebag version of a John Hughes movie.

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 moinsyyed

@Shmiity: They're fine, its a fantasy based on reality. it makes sense the'd be wearing something not too dissimilar from what people might wear today. I loved bravely default btw.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

@moinsyyed: They look like My Chemical Romance: The Video Game.

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 moinsyyed

@JustPlainLucas: lulu was awesome, vaan on the other hand was ridiculous. His character looked like a woman. Balthier had the best costume design.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#20 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@moinsyyed said:

@JustPlainLucas: lulu was awesome, vaan on the other hand was ridiculous. His character looked like a woman. Balthier had the best costume design.

I will admit, Vaan's design is hit or miss, but at least he's memorable!

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 moinsyyed

@JustPlainLucas: I wouldnt even say he was memorable. That entire game was just weirdly bland.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#22 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

The FFXV cast's wardrobe looks way more believable and toned-down than previous FF games. The complaints are kind of ridiculous, especially compared to so many other JRPGs which go over-the-top with the clothing. At least FFXV is based on real-world fashion (even if they do look like some douchebag boy band) rather than some crazy other-worldly fashion.

RayCSmooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RayCSmooth
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I really don't see anything about what they're wearing, that differs from the cast of many of the previous final fantasy games. There's nothing to talk about really.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

I love the backstreet boys!

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Needs more colour.

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 moinsyyed

@Jag85: agreed

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Jag85 said:

The FFXV cast's wardrobe looks way more believable and toned-down than previous FF games. The complaints are kind of ridiculous, especially compared to so many other JRPGs which go over-the-top with the clothing. At least FFXV is based on real-world fashion (even if they do look like some douchebag boy band) rather than some crazy other-worldly fashion.

I've gotta agree with this. As much as I've loved many other Final Fantasy games (well, not MANY, FFVII was my first introduction to the series), a lot of those characters' wardrobe was horribly awful. This is kind of awful too, but at least it's awful in the sense that an actual person might possibly wear that shit. My only real complaint is too much black. But aside from that, it's fine. I probasbly like what theiy're wearing imore than in most ofther FF games that I've played. But complaining about their clothes is kind of weak. Yeah, it sucks, but that's just one of the things that I accept if I'm playing a Final Fantasy game. As long as the story and characters and gameplay are solid, I'll quickly get over whatever horrible clothes they're wearing just like I did in past Final Fantasy games. Whether this is a step up or a step down from previously games, I suspect that it's ultimately gonna have approximately nothing to do with how good or bad the game is (at least compared to other games in the Final Fantasy series).

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I still think one of the contributing factors for final fantasy downfall are the characters, since ff xiii they are cringe worthy and now instead of some cool characters we have the j pop boys band. Where are characters like cid? zidane? auron? basch?

I just hope they don't include some fuking moron like snow in this game, i literally said wtf everytime he talked in ff xiii.

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 moinsyyed

@sheikhspeare: true. Although, the party was designed this way almost a decade ago lol

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By moinsyyed

@Krelian-co: snow was a meat head. Like odd days I think to myself, wtf were they thinking with that game. Sahz was such a racist stereotype of a character, a fucking chocobo chick living in his afro...I mean seriously WTF. It like japanese dev make a compromise, were going to be as racist or sexist as we can, but will give fans one thing about the character to like, skimpy ass cidney, BUT HEY SHE;S FIRST FEMALE CID....here's a sterotype of a black guy with an AFRO, but hey he's another black character in the FF universe....awww a chocbo chick lives in his hair so its all okay.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I don't have any issue with it. If anything, it's kind of muted compared to where Final Fantasy has been in the past several iterations (I'm thinking mostly of FFX).

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By moinsyyed

@foxhound_fox: Can we all at least agree that red soles on the party's shoes is the best design choice since the red scarf in shinobi :P

plexisaurus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 plexisaurus92
Member since 2016 • 1 Posts

I Iike using gladios second casual outfit cause it makes the team look less like a jackass. But those shoes tho. WHATARETHOOOSE!?

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I am one of those people who have serious issues with these characters. Cringe worthy does not even begin to describe it. These are the last characters I would ever want to play as, I'm actually impressed with how thoroughly the designers have annoyed me with them. I don't mind over the top, crazy characters wearing crazy clothes. This here is something totally different. Why does Noctis who seems to be as tough as a teenage girl have that ridiculous, way too serious, attitude-y tough guy expression on his face at all times? These characters are for people who thought the backstreet boys were a bunch of badasses.

...whew, glad I got that off of my chest. This thing really irks me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

they look like stereotypical Japanese video game characters. Like if you asked a bunch of white dudes in the US who really like Queens of the Stone Age and reminisce about FFVII, and you were like "Hey bros, why don't you sketch up some ideas of what the new folks in FFXV should look like"...this is what you'd get.

I think that's kind of a bad thing, personally, but if you like Japanese video games maybe that's a good thing?

It's definitely not a step forward, and one might say it's a step backwards *shrug*

I do love the focus on "realism", however, gotta give them credit on making it a bit more believable I guess?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@plexisaurus92 said:

I Iike using gladios second casual outfit cause it makes the team look less like a jackass. But those shoes tho. WHATARETHOOOSE!?

Props to the "WHATARETHOSE?!?!" meme reference but the thread you are posting in is almost two years old so I have to lock it. Feel free to make a new thread.

-Byshop