People that pirated the game revealed in Far Cry 4

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Jacanuk

Piracy is Cloning... Not stealing. Is taking something away Piracy is just downloading ilegal COPIES.

Its bad and its wrong but its most definately not Stealing.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By kakamoura
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

It's not inherently bad or wrong Lulu.

Many developers are providing free torrents of their games online.

They realize piracy is basically free community driven marketing.

There's a reason Steam is so successful and the industry is improving and getting bigger a bigger.

The people who would have bought the game, buy it wether piracy exists or not.

The only negative thing regarding piracy from a business standpoint is that it's a factor that is really difficult to calculate and document so it introduces further risk (as it's something a company can't absolutely control) in investment.

Having said that, there's no indication of piracy being negative to the industry.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Lulu_Lulu

@kakamoura

This is why it should be legalized :p Hahaha

Seriously though, in between inaccurate reviews and $60 Pricetags then Piracy is great... I use to do it... I would try out something new and if I liked it I'd be more than happy to fork over money to play the sequel.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@kakamoura

This is why it should be legalized :p Hahaha

Seriously though, in between inaccurate reviews and $60 Pricetags then Piracy is great... I use to do it... I would try out something new and if I liked it I'd be more than happy to fork over money to play the sequel.

I never understood piracy but wouldn't it be better to wait Steam Sales like I'm doing for Unity? Not saying I agree to disagree, It's not my place to decide who shouldn't pirate but to me, I can wait for Steam Sales depending on the game.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

I used to pirate games all the time before Steam got big.

I would pirate games that I didn't think were worth their full retail price. I would have never purchased these games, so the developers didn't lose any business from me doing that.

Now that I can buy a mediocre game for $5-10 dollars a few months after release, I have no reason to pirate anymore. If anything, Steam has helped save the PC gaming industry from piracy. I don't think I know anyone who still pirates PC games to be honest.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#56 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@kakamoura said:

@Jacanuk said:

@kakamoura said:

OH WOW I'd never guess you'd dismiss my sources as unreliable while not posting anything yourself.

So unpredictable.

You are the one claiming something that is simply not confirmed. So the burden of proof is on you

You claim that pirates benefit the industry which is absolute nonsense, not just because stealing is stealing no matter how you look at it. but i am not surprised that you cannot back it up, pirates usually fell short when they try to justify their stealing.

1) I already proved it, you are biased so you reject it. There are hundreds of studies like this, just google it, I've only provided a few of those.

2) It's not nonsense. It's not stealing, I already backed it up.

You're also conveniently ignoring me telling you to back up your claims to tackle my citations.

You argue like a toddler.

1) You haven't proven a thing, all you did was go onto google and then link what ever you find. A good tip for you if you wish to learn how to debate is also learning that not everything on the web is true, thats why you only use sources that are valid.

2) Its utter nonsense and again no you haven't backed anything up, what you have is proven that you are either to lazy to link to credible sources or there is no such thing, i tend to go with the last one. And again taking something that isn't yours is by definition stealing.....

And yes i am ignoring your links because they are BS and lol i love the argument coming from you.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Jacanuk

@kakamoura said:
@Jacanuk said:

@kakamoura said:
@MrGeezer said:

@kakamoura said:

It's a terrible analogy because a waiter's work cannot be copied and taken advantage of without the waiter actually working.

And that's basically what piracy is, replication of the original without removing the original.

That just hurts your case. Since you can't copy the waiter's work, then stiffing them on a tip once only hurts them once. Whereas with piracy, you can replicate your stolen copy and give it away thousands of times, thereby screwing the developer/publisher over and over and over again.

Yeah, only that doesn't happen in reality. A pirated copy is not a lost sale.

Funny guy.

Of course stealing something is a lost sale, unless you claim that every single pirate would never have bought it otherwise.

Piracy is not stealing by any definition.

Yes, I do claim that. There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that a pirate would have bought the game or that a pirate didn't buy the game.

Unless you can statistically prove it.

Nice try with your circular logic but its not a argument to claim that it is because you claim it is.

And piracy is stealing its not even worth the debate since everyone above kindergarten state knows this, you might try to justify it by claiming otherwise, but no pirates are nothing but thieves who hopefully will learn to be better when they grow up.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Lulu_Lulu

@DaVillain-

Why does it have to be Steam Specifically ? I hate Steam. :(

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

Piracy is Cloning... Not stealing. Is taking something away Piracy is just downloading ilegal COPIES.

Its bad and its wrong but its most definately not Stealing.

Again with the made up lulu definition.

Are you in college Lulu or were you homeschooled a lot? becuase with your made up words and definitions i feel so sorry for the teacher who had you in his class ;)

But lets put this to rest once and for all.

"steal - stealing - take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it."thieves stole her bicycle""

And yes digital content is someone´s property its not yours or anyone's just because its digital.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

Prehistoric Definition written before the invention of the internet...

And why didn't you put up the definition of Piracy ?

If I asked you to define video games would you post the definition of movies instead ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Lulu_Lulu

Piracy

1. the practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea.

2. the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

Prehistoric Definition written before the invention of the internet...

And why didn't you put up the definition of Piracy ?

If I asked you to define video games would you post the definition of movies instead ?

Who says they are prehistoric? just because the courts and most countries legal systems are just beginging to come to terms with where to place "piracy" doesnt meant the definition is pre-historic.

The case is pretty clear here, a pirate is taking something that isn't theirs or they have a legal right to, so by the normal definition it's stealing. The only problem there is in the legal system is where they want to distinguish between theft of physical property and theft of non-physical property.

But that doesn´t mean that its not theft/stealing.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

It was clearly written before the Miracle of Copy and Pasting :p

and more accurately the Pirate is COPYING something that isn't theirs or has no right to COPY.

Its not Stealing. Hell its not even Taking.

Why are you even clinging to such a dumb argument you know very well you're wrong... Its okay... I wouldn't admit to something that dumb either.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

It was clearly written before the Miracle of Copy and Pasting :p

and more accurately the Pirate is COPYING something that isn't theirs or has no right to COPY.

Its not Stealing. Hell its not even Taking.

Why are you even clinging to such a dumb argument you know very well you're wrong... Its okay... I wouldn't admit to something that dumb either.

You are just keeping on the nonsense Lulu.

The key thing you seem to jump around is that you are taking something that isent yours , just because its not physcial doesnt mean its suddenly yours or doesnt have a owner.

But i am impressed at your effort to justify criminal actions.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44150 Posts

lol That's pretty funny. Serves those pirates right, they'll get no sympathy from me.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

When did I justify Criminal Actions ?

I don't know whom you had that debate with but it sure as hell wasn't me...

This is my Argument: Priacy isn't Stealing. Yes its a crime and its ilegal but no... It is defintely not Stealing.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

When did I justify Criminal Actions ?

I don't know whom you had that debate with but it sure as hell wasn't me...

This is my Argument: Priacy isn't Stealing. Yes its a crime and its ilegal but no... It is defintely not Stealing.

Ok, lets try again

"It’s an age-old crime: stealing.

But it’s not about picking a pocket or holding up a bank. It’s robbing people of their ideas, inventions, and creative expressions—what’s called intellectual property—everything from trade secrets and proprietary products and parts to movies and music and software.

It’s a growing threat—especially with the rise of digital technologies and Internet file sharing networks. And much of the theft takes place overseas, where laws are often lax and enforcement more difficult. All told, intellectual property theft costs U.S. businesses billions of dollars a year and robs the nation of jobs and lost tax revenues.

Preventing intellectual property theft is a priority of the FBI’s criminal investigative program. We specifically focus on the theft of trade secrets and infringements on products that can impact consumers’ health and safety, such as counterfeit aircraft, car, and electronic parts. Key to our success is linking the considerable resources and efforts of the private sector with law enforcement partners on local, state, federal, and international levels."

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Jacanuk

@jimmy_russell said:

Oh yay, the "Piracy is Theft" argument is back again. Haha, so ridiculous. Learn to comrehend the law before you open your mouth please, piracy is copyright infringement, not theft.

Right Troll and please come back when you have a ounce of any legal knowledge.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

It doesn't matter... Its still not stealing, even after Piracy the original creator still has his ideas.... They just won't be worth anything if they're everywhere.... Its still not Stealing. Its still just Copying.

Thats why its called Piracy... If it was the samething as Theft then they would just call it Theft and Piracy's Definition would still be exclusively Nautical.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Jacanuk

It doesn't matter... Its still not stealing, even after Piracy the original creator still has his ideas.... They just won't be worth anything if they're everywhere.... Its still not Stealing. Its still just Copying.

Thats why its called Piracy... If it was the samething as Theft then they would just call it Theft and Piracy's Definition would still be exclusively Nautical.

Are you really trying to argue against FBI, the dictionary and the well established facts? Its like with the game debate and a shit ton of other debates we had here. Its pointless and its borderline trolling.

Its like trying to smash a head into a wall and thinking your head is harder than the wall.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@DaVillain-

Why does it have to be Steam Specifically ? I hate Steam. :(

Because nobody else does sales like Steam. They're basically giving games away for free at their sale prices.

Origin and GoG have very limited selections, and the sales of the former suck ass.

Then you have physical retail which is limited by having to actually drive to a store location and hope that whatever you want is in stock. Not to mention that physical retail prices very rarely dip to levels even close to what you see on Steam.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Lulu_Lulu

@Jacanuk

Uhm... Why don't you go look the definition of Piracy in your dictionary... Piracy ... Not theft, not stealing. PIRACY...

After that I expect a letter apology in the mail.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Jacanuk

@jimmy_russell said:

@Jacanuk said:

@jimmy_russell said:

Oh yay, the "Piracy is Theft" argument is back again. Haha, so ridiculous. Learn to comrehend the law before you open your mouth please, piracy is copyright infringement, not theft.

Right Troll and please come back when you have a ounce of any legal knowledge.

The primary facet of 'theft' in a legal sense is the deprivation of actual property, not just imagined. Furthermore, it must be proven in a court of law that an individual stands to profit from copyright infringement for the law to apply to the individual.

You are so far off base that its not even funny.

Lets take the legal first

"The marginal note to section 1 of the Theft Act 1968 describes it as a "basic definition" of theft. Sections 1(1) and (2) provide:

1.-(1) A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and "thief" and "steal" shall be construed accordingly.
(2) It is immaterial whether the appropriation is made with a view to gain, or is made for the thief’s own benefit."
So as i said come back when you are in law school and actually know what you are talking about.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Lulu_Lulu

@UssjTrunks

I actually have my retail games Delivered to me and their prices go down over time almost at the same rate as steam does....

Besides steam is DRM.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 UssjTrunks

@Jacanuk said:

"The marginal note to section 1 of the Theft Act 1968 describes it as a "basic definition" of theft. Sections 1(1) and (2) provide:

1.-(1) A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and "thief" and "steal" shall be construed accordingly.
(2) It is immaterial whether the appropriation is made with a view to gain, or is made for the thief’s own benefit."
So as i said come back when you are in law school and actually know what you are talking about.

Care to explain the bolded part?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Jacanuk

@jimmy_russell said:

Yeah, but it has been proven and reiterated time and time again, video games are not property and as such they do not fall under property laws. They are a service, and their contracts are governed by the laws of copyright infringement. Copyright infringement is not theft, it is using copyrighted materials without the concent of the copyright holder. In no way, shape, or form has copyright infringement ever been treated as theft, ever.

You are again far off base. Copyright infringement or obtaining digital property unlawfully is theft as also stated by FBI. In law there are multiple laws that cover the same topic so yes they do take apart physical and non-physical theft.

In case of non-physical theft or copyright infringement

• "Criminal penalties can run up to five years in prison and/or $250,000 in fines, even if you didn’t do it for monetary or financial or commercial gain."

Not to mention that in Ohio vs Perry , the state also charged him with theft.

But you can always go look up the NET act of 97.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jacanuk

@jimmy_russell said:

Jacanuk, you are contradicting yourself a lot here, and you seem willfully ignorant of my argument, which I may add is entirely in accordance with the laws of the country in which I am a native resident. I will have you know that I am not offering legal advice, as such I am not required to be a lawyer, I am simply pointing out the parts of your argument that are factually incorrect. Please try to understand my argument, because your own is not even based upon the laws, copyright infringement is not recognized as theft in any court of laws, even in the United States.

Eh? first which part is contradicting anything? and your argument is wrong and i proved that so which part didn´t you understand? Also i just showed you that copyright infringement is recognized as theft, which FBI clearly says and which also was proven in Ohio vs Perry, so again which part didn´t you understand.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Jacanuk

@jimmy_russell said:

To quote your post above: "1.-(1) A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and "thief" and "steal" shall be construed accordingly."

The bold part is the contradiction. I already stated that the primary facet of theft is deprivation of actual property and your retort was literally proof of my argument, not your own.

Contradiction? you do know that its a quote from a law right? so take it up with the lawmakers if you feel there is anything contradinary there.

And no theft is not limited to actual physical property, thats where you fail in your argument.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Jacanuk

@jimmy_russell said:
@Jacanuk said:

@jimmy_russell said:

To quote your post above: "1.-(1) A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and "thief" and "steal" shall be construed accordingly."

The bold part is the contradiction. I already stated that the primary facet of theft is deprivation of actual property and your retort was literally proof of my argument, not your own.

Contradiction? you do know that its a quote from a law right? so take it up with the lawmakers if you feel there is anything contradinary there.

And no theft is not limited to actual physical property, thats where you fail in your argument.

I'm not saying the part I quoted was incorrect, but it contradicts your argument and supports my own. If piracy was considered theft, the copyright holder would need to be deprived of property, which he is not. Duplicating data and transmitting it over the Internet is not even remotely near the legal definition of theft.

Ehh no it doesnt support yours it actually disproves yours, since what you said was

"Furthermore, it must be proven in a court of law that an individual stands to profit from copyright infringement for the law to apply to the individual.

And that is wrong, there doesn't need to be a profit to be guilty of theft, the simple action of downloading and obtaining something that isn't yours legally is to be considered theft of IP.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Jacanuk

@UssjTrunks said:

@Jacanuk said:

It means that you have no intention of returning or ever giving the item/object/thing back.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Jacanuk

@jimmy_russell said:

@Jacanuk said:

@UssjTrunks said:

@Jacanuk said:

It means that you have no intention of returning or ever giving the item/object/thing back.

So if I look over your shoulder and copy your homework assignment, and then I return the notes that I have written down and now you have two of them. Did I ever really steal your homework, or did I simply copy it? It's just a layman's example, and not a very good one, but hopefully it will enlighten you.

That is not a very good example. And it is very laymen indeed.

But you do show the problem and why many seem to have a more grey moral around when it comes to downloading digital content. Again though you think the FBI would call it theft if it wasn´t.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#91 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

The funny thing after reading this thread is I actually have less respect for the guys in this thread defending their reasoning of why piracy is not stealing than I did for people I knew personally that pirated. The reason? At least they didn't make up excuses why they pirating games, music, and movies isn't stealing.

They flat out told me they knew they was stealing but they didn't care either because they couldn't afford it, they could afford it but was too cheap to buy it, or they said they was doing it to "screw over" the "greedy, evil corporations," so while I didn't agree with their methods at least they were honest with themselves.

That is all, flame me if you wish.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#93 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

There was some FPS game where if you have the Pirated Copy.... An unkillable Android will hunt you down and bullet f*#k you into oblivion...

Then theres the Arkham Asylum one where the Pirated Copy disables the Cape Glide. Which you needed to be able to complete the tutorial.

Serious Sam 3

Also, in Crysis 3 pirated you can't kill last boss Alpha Ceph loool.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Jacanuk

@jimmy_russell said:

@ad1x2 said:

The funny thing after reading this thread is I actually have less respect for the guys in this thread defending their reasoning of why piracy is not stealing than I did for people I knew personally that pirated. The reason? At least they didn't make up excuses why they pirating games, music, and movies isn't stealing.

They flat out told me they knew they was stealing but they didn't care either because they couldn't afford it, they could afford it but was too cheap to buy it, or they said they was doing it to "screw over" the "greedy, evil corporations," so while I didn't agree with their methods at least they were honest with themselves.

I'm not going to flame you, I'm going to ask you why you think I'm defending a reasoning for stealing? I never said I pirated games, and I never said that I condone it or point a finger at people who do it. I am simply putting forth the legal definition and application of copyright infringement. I don't even think it's an argument anymore, this has been decidedly not theft in every jurisdiction there is a court. I find it odd that you would label people theives without evidence or for that matter, without a reasonable doubt.

Why do you keep trying to come with a argument that is proven wrong? again we will for easiness take Murcia and here you the NET Act of 97 which clearly mention Theft and electronic products, we have FBI who clearly states "THEFT of IP which include movies, books, games, music" and then lastly we have Ohio vs Perry where the DA specifically charged Perry with theft of the digitally downloaded content he had obtained. So why would you even begin to claim that no court sees it as theft when everyone does.

So no this has not "been decidedly not theft". Infact is clearly proven as theft.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#96  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
@jimmy_russell said:

@ad1x2 said:

I'm not going to flame you, I'm going to ask you why you think I'm defending a reasoning for stealing? I never said I pirated games, and I never said that I condone it or point a finger at people who do it. I am simply putting forth the legal definition and application of copyright infringement. I don't even think it's an argument anymore, this has been decidedly not theft in every jurisdiction there is a court. I find it odd that you would label people theives without evidence or for that matter, without a reasonable doubt.

I wasn't speaking from a legal standpoint with my post. But if we go by the legal standpoint, you can face heavy fines for pirating, such as people who were fined thousands of dollars for torrenting music.

Also, you are only one person. There are plenty of posters who will claim that piracy is justified because pirates wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#98 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Ubisoft trolling pirates? Wasn't expecting that, but it's pretty hilarious... Still, it's only a matter of time before someone eventually hacks that FOV patch.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Jacanuk

@jimmy_russell said:

Can you show me/link me the legal context in which theft occured via a digital medium? Because that would literally require interception of digital transmissions and actual physical theft of communications by way of hijacking. That's out of context to piracy.

Again

"

It’s an age-old crime: stealing.

But it’s not about picking a pocket or holding up a bank. It’s robbing people of their ideas, inventions, and creative expressions—what’s called intellectual property—everything from trade secrets and proprietary products and parts to movies and music and software.

It’s a growing threat—especially with the rise of digital technologies and Internet file sharing networks. And much of the theft takes place overseas, where laws are often lax and enforcement more difficult. All told, intellectual property theft costs U.S. businesses billions of dollars a year and robs the nation of jobs and lost tax revenues.

Preventing intellectual property theft is a priority of the FBI’s criminal investigative program. We specifically focus on the theft of trade secrets and infringements on products that can impact consumers’ health and safety, such as counterfeit aircraft, car, and electronic parts. Key to our success is linking the considerable resources and efforts of the private sector with law enforcement partners on local, state, federal, and international levels."

That is taken direct from the FBI.gov site. You are welcome to disagree with what they think but in the long run who do you think matters the most.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Lulu_Lulu

@indzman

Thats the one. :)

its way more hardcore than Dark Souls.