These are some of the games I've taken a liking to over the years.
- I was very pleasantly surprised about this. The AI will always act stupid in stealthy games, but they've minimized that in Farcry3 a lot. The open world is pleasant to play around in for quite a while and when you've had enough of that you have the main quest. The talents you gain as you level up literally makes you several times stronger than you are in the beginning in everything except weapon damage.
- The combos you can pull off here if you memorize them are amazing. Somewhat faster paced than other games like it, unfortunately the melee combat suffers from movie fight syndrome, only one person attacks at a time. Almost everything is over the top and I enjoyed the vehicles in the game as well. GTA 5 even took a few pointers from Sleeping Dogs.
- Yes, I know, this is more than 2 years 2 months and 5 days old now, but with the mods you can apply to it, it can rival the graphics of most titles of today, and the gameplay is being expanded on all the time by modders as well. I revisited Skyrim a few months ago and it is amazing how much improvement there has been. Anyone who hasn't tried Skyrim at all should of course do so.
- I've included Driver here because of how different it is from other racing games. It is highly story driven. The controls are great and some of the situations you're in will make you laugh.
- If you're into the racing genre I recommend GRID over GRID 2. The successor is messy and doesn't let you feel in control of what you want to race as much. The controls are actually better as well since the successor cater to consoles too much.
- This stealth(vampirism) game is awesome. It has quirks that might put some gamers off, but the stealth aspect of it really appeals to me. Watching gameplay doesn't do it justice, it is way more cool to play it yourself, always wondering how your enemies move next and if you're going to be found out.
- I had my expectations very high when this was released and because of that it was a minor letdown to me. Still, it is one of the greatest turn based/management/rts hybrid I've ever played. About on par with Shogun 2 of the same series. To experience what makes the battles in the Total War series so epic you will want a computer with decent specs. The amount of units HAS to be maxed in settings.
- This is becoming an older game little by little. If you are into hack and slash like Devil May Cry, this is a must for you. The story is there, but nothing to cheer over. The gameplay however and the urge to explore every crevice of the world to get the powerups that boost your character however is what makes this game great.
- This was one of the unexpectedly positive experiences for me last year. How the game fares at the moment I don't know, but the game is free and works on micro-transactions. The positive thing is that the micro-transactions primarily focus on customization rather than bonuses. You can gain the exact same advantages by playing the game. The grand scale battles, many outfits(clans, guilds) you can join, vast amount of unlockables, air and land combat and sieges makes this game worth a spin. You will need a decent computer to run this acceptably.
- In a postapocalyptic world you set out to find out what is going on. You are but one soldier in an unforgiving world. You will sometimes be faced with impossible challenges where you are forced to turn back. Inventory management and the way you decide to play your game matters. There won't be constant action, but the thought of sudden unexpected occurances will always be in the back of your head. This game has a massive focus on the story and the way you decide to handle yourself. It will not always go as you expected. The controls will feel quirky at the beginning, if you are not comfortable without a superhuman protagonist that hits anything he aims for, don't play this. The graphics are outdated, but it deserves a mention as this is truly a great game.
- If you like medieval warfare and management of armies and troops this game will keep you occupied for many hours. You start out as an outcast that strives towards greatness. There is no story, only factions, nobility, war, battlefields and a strategic map of the country. You decide what place in life you want to strive towards. It could be a henchman, nobleman, bandit or king. The game has an active modding community. It is very cheap.
- The single greatest RPG game of all time. This is here because, well, I always play this more or less. This game is thorough from one end to the other. The story is magnificent, the vast array of spells and abilities lets you play your game the way you prefer. These abilities are not restricted to combat. In later levels you can pretty much feel invulnerable, but later in BG2 is weeks and weeks of game time. The most immersive game experience ever made. If you require eye candy, this is not for you. The game is from around 2000. I recommend buying the original and then mod it afterwards. The enhanced edition is a mess.
- The multiple ways to approach this stealth game with a wide array of abilities is what makes it great. The story isn't bad either. You're accused of treason and are to be executed. You are freed and can decide to either take gruesome vengeance on anyone in your path, or try to resolve the conflict as peaceful as possible. You are literally not forced to kill a single person in the entire game. The expansions are of questionable quality.
- If you like the GTA franchise make sure you haven't missed this gem. The story is massive, engaging and the environment you play in, massive as well. The controls are what you would expect of a GTA game. You may even be waiting for GTA: V, this is a great way to kill time
- Grizzly FPS sci-fi horror games who do their best to scare you. They have nice graphics and a decent story that especially anti-religious people will approve of. They should be played in the evening in a dark room and with a headset with the volume up, to experience the full effect of the thrills it sports.
I have many more games I could share here, but for now these are what comes to mind.
What games do you find great? Please don't spoil the story, but explain a bit about the game so others can see if it is of interest to them.