PayPal; anybody use it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Heirren (16225 posts) -
I used to have an account about 8 years ago. I don't really remember what the fees/risks are. I have to link a card to my account? What bothers me is that PayPal site says the seller handles the transaction. I'm an old fashioned person as far as money handling is concerned. However, I'd really like to get an account for eBay. Anybody ever have negative experiences?
#2 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Pretty hard to buy stuff at a lot of websites without it. I've used it for years. I'd like to say I've had no problems, but that's just not the case. My account did get hacked and the people got away with a $100+ purchase. Luckily my bank (NOT PayPal) caught it, informed me of it, and credited the money back to my bank account. On the other hand, PayPal made it a pain in the freaking arse to shutdown that account and start a new one. I got the run around for like a month and a half before I got pissed and threatened to take legal action if they didn't shut it down (even though I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to go about doing that, lol).

Since then, with my new PayPal account, I have refused to let them have access to my bank account information. I use a Visa Travel Card that I transfer what I need, when I need it, to the card. That's what I have connected to the PayPal account. I'd suggest doing the same.

#3 Posted by Heirren (16225 posts) -
That's an excellent idea. So you get a Visa travel card and add money to the card, or are those the ones you buy for a set amount? Reloadable? And ...the money transfer happens on your banks end, or the PayPal side of things? I'd like to stay as close to the bank as possible. We're going to open up this discussion some: "new games" on ebay(and consoles too)--I'm sensing bllsht here. I really want an n64 again, in great condition. I'm not saying I want to spend outrageous amounts of money, but I just clicked on a NEW SNES listing for $1699 that is so obviously not new because of the way the cables are tied--the dead giveaway. What I mean to say is that this makes me question all game purchases in the sense that I may not even be getting what is pictured. Also--n64 is region free with Japan, correct? If I can make it fit, it works, right? I read something unscrewing the cart and putting an a,erican back on the Japanese cart, you ever try that? Thanks.
#4 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

It's just a regular Visa Card that was given to me by my bank after all that happened. It's not directly connected to my bank account like a regular Debit Card would be, but I can transfer money onto it via my bank account when I want to buy something through PayPal.

#5 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23411 posts) -

Yeah I use paypal
everyone does
you kind of need it if you use ebay

i just have it conencted to my credit card

it's fairly straight forward

#6 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heirren"] Also--n64 is region free with Japan, correct? If I can make it fit, it works, right? I read something unscrewing the cart and putting an a,erican back on the Japanese cart, you ever try that?

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/n64/usmodification.html That should help you out.
#7 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23411 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Heirren"] Also--n64 is region free with Japan, correct? If I can make it fit, it works, right? I read something unscrewing the cart and putting an a,erican back on the Japanese cart, you ever try that?

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/n64/usmodification.html That should help you out.

that's just as easy as the snes one that's pretty awesome
#8 Posted by Allicrombie (25114 posts) -
I've never had a problem with Paypal and I've bought tons of junk on eBay.
#9 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Heirren"] Also--n64 is region free with Japan, correct? If I can make it fit, it works, right? I read something unscrewing the cart and putting an a,erican back on the Japanese cart, you ever try that?

that's just as easy as the snes one that's pretty awesome

Exactly, it's pretty much the kind of region lock method. Unfortunate that it's not as easy with PAL consoles.