Markkkkk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Markkkkk
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

Ok so I'm 15 years old and my parents shout at me every single day about spending too much time on computers. Now before you think about your answer, yes I spend a lot of time on my ipad, computer and ps4 but I dont understand what the problem is, I play cricket which I'm very good at, I consistently play (6-7 days a week during school) and I play it all the time. When I am on my ipad or computer the majority of the time I'm not playing games Im reading stuff about the latest cricket/ football transfers (but my parents wont believe me). I hardly play on my PS4 because Ive gotten bored of it until yesterday when I got the Black Ops 3 beta which I've played 3 hours of over two days, shocking isnt it? The games I do play are mainly FM15 or I just look around on my ps4 trying to find something to play. The one thing I do a lot of is watch YouTube, Roosterteeth to be exact but I watch it while doing other things. I get good grades (78%) but I could do better but I openly tell my parents that I dont want to cram 4 hours just for a grade 9 test that does nothing to help my future but no Im just lazy according to them... Today my parents said they are going to restrict me on Monday to which I replied "You guys spend as much if not more then me (which is true ive counted how many hours they spend)" "You're 15 you must play outside or read (Hurt my back cant run, all my friends are away, and I do read but I am waiting for the next book in my series and dont wanna read other stuff in case I forget and get mixed up which has happened before!) "Well Megan (my sister) watches tv all day (which is worse IMO) but you dont moan at her" "She is 18 if you want we will go back to the rules she had when she was your age blah blah blah" "Yes I agree I play way too much games and stuff even though its the same amount as the rest of the family" I just dont get it, this conversation happened as my parents were watching tv the whole day and I just played cricket a couple hours earlier, dont they know that TV is worse? At least I'm doing something and not sitting on the couch watching Vampire Diaries or some crap show. Sometimes its just so frustrating, anyone got any helpful things to say/do?

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

another authoritarian parents I see...much I know it,you're still at school,think of your grades first,then go have fun in the end of the hard-earned grades,it's that of parental superstition which says that kids are not allowed to play games when they have homework from school. as your age progressed, priorities get higher,the less time you have to play a game,it's all about responsibility and schedule control. I have lots of time because I'm all away from academics,but still,responsibility is everything.

AKirkland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 AKirkland
Member since 2015 • 46 Posts

Get those grades up past 78% young man. 78% isn't 100% ergo there is room to improve.

When those grades are higher and your cricket paddling skills improve, then you'll have room to negotiate.

Your parents are just looking out for your future. They want their son to be a high testosterone, alpha male slayer, making CEO 10 K a day figures.

Listen to them and it'll pay off. True story, I skated by in school/college for years because I could put zero effort in and still get 78% scores. Never helped me, and I'm arguably still trying to get out of that hole I dug myself into. Listen to them, you might feel like grade 9 tests won't matter to your future, but I can assure you that Black Ops 3 won't.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Videogaming is fun but it will always be there and the schooling that you are doing now will last you a lifetime so that should always come first. If you think that you can get better grades then that is what you should focus on now.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Loading Video...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

Take a vacation from gaming, go outside and do something better while you're still young and for a 15 year old, life is too short, lay off the video games for a while. Gaming is okay, but you also must give you're body a rest and do other stuff. Like Smashbrossive50 said, Responsibility and schedule control.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Your parents are doing what's best for you and your future! I love gaming as well "BUT" it's a one of my hobbies, it's not my life....and that's the way you gotta look at it.....PERIOD!!

Fancydancing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fancydancing
Member since 2015 • 49 Posts

#I play any game more than an hour out of the day my wife treats me like I have an addiction to heroin. Probably because I am so tuned into the game that I block out almost anything else. So it might always follow you, unless you find someone who understands that it takes more than an hour to immerse yourself sometimes depending on what your doing. W3 for instance or anything RPG related. Even RTS's. Try and get your parents involved in gaming. Could lead to something for better or for worse, or record them just sitting there all day. Might catch themselves being zombies.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If my kids were getting a 78% average, I'd cut off their Internet access and gaming until they can get their average up. 85% is my minimum. I make sure they do their homework and drill/review them just to make sure they really know the subject matter. If they complain, I just tell em it's using up my free time too, making sure they do things right and not haphazardly.

Once they're good to go to my satisfaction, they can indulge until bed time. They can indulge longer Friday nights and weekends. No problems with the kids. They think my system is fair. Once it becomes habit for them, I don't have to keep an eye on them as much.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#10 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Your parents want the best for you. Unless you're a genius and have a future in computers/consoles, I can understand their concern. At 15 you should have a job - if you don't get one and that will shut them up with what you do with your free time.

TrustyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TrustyGamer
Member since 2015 • 233 Posts

It's part of being a kid. Parents are the ones in charge as long as you're under their roof. Just tough it out and when you move into your first place (usually around 18/19) then you can play all the video games you want.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Your parents are just looking out for what's best for you. You seem pretty well-spoken- I don't think it's out of the scope of reality for you to achieve better grades than a 78% average. I made the mistake of prioritizing the internet and video games before school when I was younger(hell just look at my comment history, you'll see how often I was on this site), and I regret it every day as I see my closest friends graduate from high class universities with degrees that will earn them 6 figures, while I have to work a full-time job just to slowly crawl my way through community college(which I finally finished, time to finally get into my program of study).

I know that 90% of my struggles are because of how I slacked off when I was younger though. I'm just as smart as my best friend, yet here I am working a bottom line tech support job(rhymes with Freak Quad) making 11$ an hour, meanwhile he's recently been given a 100K offer for a private communications company as an engineer, just because I didn't want to put a little extra time in towards my studies.

Obviously everyone's story is different, but I think it's safe to say that you should take your parents' advice on this one.

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

Just don't turn into one of those freaks who forgets to use the restroom, shower/bath, eat, then ends up dying because of it. LOL

Your hobbies are your hobbies.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@d_parker: 16 is generally the youngest one can get a job in the US (or at least Illinois), at 15 he'd have to go through the whole thing of a permit, plus there isn't any hurry for him to join the work force yet. Of course that is my perspective on it, he could be somewhere where 15 is a normal age to begin working:P

Anywho, I'd say focus on the grades first off, of course always shoot for the top but maintain at least a 'B' average (that'll depend on your school's grading system on what is the percentage is on that.) The extra effort should get your parents attention that you ARE at least trying harder and putting more effort in. I know it sounds lame but putting in that little bit of effort will pay off. Plus if you plan on pursuing education after high school it'll help to learn how to study. I never studied a day in my life (Outside of a number of rare cases), and when college came around it bit me in the ass. I didn't know how to properly manage my time when it came to looking over material.

Also, since your friends are gone try and branch out a bit and get a new friend group. There was a stretch of time me and my old group drifited apart for a few years. In the mean time I became friends with another whole group, and have some amazing friends from it. Just gotta push out the comfort zone a bit; maybe try hitting up a classroom acquaintance after school some time.

And at the end of the day, they still might be how they are, in which case i don't have any advice for you. Either way, they are trying to look out for you.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

you say your parent watch tv the whole day and spend more time than you on tv , then how did they manage to get you a ps4, a computer and an ipad ?!

just listen to your parents !

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#16 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

When I was 15 would only play games at leave-holidays or weekends. Don't spend all your time gaming. Chances are you won't have a successful future, unless you became a G-tester/ successful G-Youtuber/ and or competitive tourney player.

aaronlovesfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 aaronlovesfood
Member since 2015 • 114 Posts

@markkkkk: Bare in mind that you are still in school and they do care about you getting the grades you want. My parent is the same, He constantly moans at me saying that I spend to much time on the computer. I honestly don't think I am that bad. I always put work first and whenever I finish it I go back to playing my video games until I get more work throughout the week.

My grades currently are not as good as you and since my GCSE'S are going to happen shortly my dad won't cut me any slack and will completely ban me from playing or doing anything electronically around 4 months before they start.

Overall I say fair enough it's good parenting.

However I do think that letting your sister do whatever she wants in incredibly unfair to you. Anyway I hope everything works out for you :D

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

@markkkkk: When I was in school I made a deal with my parents I keep my grades high and you let me play all the video games I want, maybe you should try that I am sure they will agree.

Markkkkk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Markkkkk
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

Ok I understand what you guys are saying, but the thing is I already no what I wanna be (besides a sportsperson). See I want to study Acturial Science so for the subjects that I need for it I do well in (Maths, Science etc) and I study as much as possible for those. And also during the holidays I cant exactly study for tests and exams. I cant get a job as Im in South Africa and over here adults barely find work so I cant and wont likely get a job. I understand completely about what you guys are saying when it comes to better grades but the one person said under 85% is not acceptable which I think says that our educations differ as in my school 85% would put me in 2nd or 3rd place in our grade. 78% rigt now puts me in the top 20 (out of 130 students). Also my average includes subjects like Art and History which I am just not good at so without those I would be in the 80s. See video games dont consume my life I think you guys are overestamating how much I actually play, like today I had cricket from 9am-2pm and again at 5-6pm so I havent been home for more then 2 hours (adding in time for lifts). Just gonna restate it that I cant exactly study more if its te middle of holidays...

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Most likely they view your actions of "playing games too much" as detrimental to your future. They obviously see some potential in you, but they probably fear that you lack the drive to utilize it and are just drifting through life without challenging yourself enough.

It's actually quite easy for parents to see what kid will excel over the other or what kid is applying themselves to their fullest. Some people just can't do what others can and appear as they're allowed to skirt by with doing less than everyone else. Maybe you're the "shinning star" in the family and they see how capable you are over your sister.

Get up, apply yourself to something more than just sitting around gaming or staring at your iPAD.