On the Topic of Used Games: How Many People Actually Buy Them?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Minishdriveby (10128 posts) -

Just curious as to what GameSpot's community's buying habits are pertaining to used games, especially with all the talk of blocking used games on next generation consoles. It seems that there has been a large section of the community who scorns the buying of used games.

#2 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73564 posts) -
I used to buy them a lot, before I had the sense to actually buy only when I had time to play. Since I now only buy one or two games a month, working on my backlog in the meantime, I don't really have impulses to go browse through used game stores anymore.
#3 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

If I want a game, I'll typically try to find it used since it's usually better priced.

#4 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

I look for the best deal possible. So I mostly buy used games, because I want to save that 5-15$. The only time I don't buy used is when either the prices are so close that they don't matter, or I purchase the game on day 1, which mean there aren't any used copies.

Basically 90% of my Library are used games.

#5 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34116 posts) -

Not alot, but I still do occasionally. Thus I do care quite a bit if used games are blocked.

#6 Posted by Bigboi500 (29091 posts) -

I buy a lot of both used and new games.

#7 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -

I buy a number of used games for my PS3. I keep em though. I have no intention of reselling them.

#8 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
More often than I buy new. I only buy new when I find that the game is worth the price, which isn't very often anymore. Also, GameFly deals are crazy-cheap.
#9 Posted by Zombo1987 (152 posts) -

I mainly buy new games, but do buy used games on the odd occasion (such as older games that are harder to find).

#10 Posted by Pedro (21006 posts) -

It depends on the price, the type of game and the mood I am in. If the price difference is marginal then new. If the price difference is particularly favorable I might. If the new game doesn't exist and its cheap then most likely yes. The majority of my used games are games aren't weren't entirely sold on.

#11 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -
If it's not a game thats worth buying day 1 then I buy it used.
#12 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
i generally buy used when i can't find the game new.
#13 Posted by xxBenblasterxx (70 posts) -

I'd say most of my game purchases are of used games, mostly just of big titles I never got round to playing around there release and can now get on the cheap, the introduction of masses of dlc and online passes has started to limit what I can get for a bargain nowa' days however the result being I'm just buying less games. Will be sad to see used games sales pass but i suppose I'll just appreciate those big releases more, or maybe even venture into the world of Indie and Arcade gaming more often where the prices are cheaper. 

#14 Posted by funsohng (27504 posts) -
I wouldn't say I mostly buy used games, but I do buy them quite a lot. Especially when I'm hunting for old games that I missed. Some games are only available in used form.
#15 Posted by LordBrew (269 posts) -
I generally can't afford to buy games new so the majority of my collection is used.
#16 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

I think I've bought 2 or 3 used games this generation - out of about 55 games I've got.  I bought Skyrim used as my little thank you to Bethesda for giving us a lousy port on the PS3.  Bought Bulletstorm used because I was only vaguely interested in it and didn't want to spend any more than absolutely necessary for it.  I think I got Motorstorm Pacific Rift used because it was about 2 years after launch and it was still going for $40 new.

#17 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

I vote with my money. When I think that a game is a step in the right direction for a genre, or that it does something particularly innovative or interesting and I want to support the developers, I buy new (example: Far Cry 3). When a game is a step in the wrong direction, or is a rehash, I buy it used (example: Crysis 2).

#18 Posted by Celldrax (14548 posts) -

I started buying used games (for the most part) once I realised how much money I was wasting.

#19 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

I try very hard to buy new games because I want to support the gaming companies I love. That and sometimes, used games at Gamestop don't even come with the damn case (that drives me up the wall). But sometimes I have no choice but to buy used, usually when I'm buying a really old game. So I'm not totally against them.

#20 Posted by Archangel3371 (15251 posts) -
I use to buy used games on very rare occasions in previous gens for games that I couldn't find new and even then it was only if I could find those games in excellent condition. This gen I haven't purchased any used games at all. I can usually find most any game I want new nowadays and when niche games come out that I really want I make sure to pick them up quickly before they become too hard to find. I've always preferred buying my games new even despite any amount of money I might save otherwise.
#21 Posted by jsmoke03 (12605 posts) -

i buy used when i can't find a new copy or find it at a decent price

#22 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

If they are new I NEVER buy them used, but if it's something older I missed out on but absolutely want to have I buy them used if I'm ever lucky enough to see them anywhere, has become quite a hobby of mine that brought Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicles to me last year, games I regretted for ages not getting them and always wanted.

Ironically I hardly play them now xD Though I finished Dark Cloud and it was just an amazing experience and some day I'll certainly continue with Dark Chronicles as well :)

#23 Posted by SoNin360 (5272 posts) -
Many that I actually buy are used. Even if I buy new I'll still go to somewhere like eBay and buy it for a cheaper price, unless it's discounted at a major retail place. I've saved a lot of money doing this. Plus I've rented and played through many games via GameFly, games I know I'm only going to be spending a limited time with. Most games simply aren't worth the $60+ tax, that and it's hard to pay full price when there's so many games you want to play.
#24 Posted by BranKetra (47801 posts) -
I prefer new.
#25 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

I buy used games whenever I can. If they have both new and used copies of a game I'm looking for, I buy used.

If you can save some money, why not? You'd be a fool not to.

#26 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

I rarely buy games period.  I'm an active gamefly member :cool:

#27 Posted by BuldozerX (269 posts) -
I buy some games used, but I would never buy them for store price anyway.
#28 Posted by BranKetra (47801 posts) -

I buy used games whenever I can. If they have both new and used copies of a game I'm looking for, I buy used.

GeoffZak
I prefer games new for the same reason collectors do; They are not used.
#29 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

BranKetra

Agreed. I would want something new and untouched. And like I said in my previous post, I want the game to come with the case and the manual guaranteed. I HATE that the Bayonetta and Disgaea 1 and 2 games that I bought never came with the original case. They came in those ugly, bland, Gamestop cases. That drives me crazy.

#30 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
I usually buy used games, but make sure they have the instructions and are in good condition. I just feel that most games are not worth the full $60 price tag. Even at $40 isn't a good value for a lot of games. If I find a game used at a good price, I'm more willing to take a chance on it. If the game is good, then I'd probably spring for the full priced new copy of the sequel.
#31 Posted by Heirren (16236 posts) -
Used is generally 5 dollars cheaper. Are people really that cheap?
#32 Posted by Minishdriveby (10128 posts) -

Used is generally 5 dollars cheaper. Are people really that cheap?Heirren
Most of the time I can find a game for $10-$15 cheaper on Amazon in the used section

For example, Far Cry 3 is selling for $53 new on amazon right now, but there is a $40 "Like New" copy listed under the Used section.

#33 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

It's not a matter of being cheap.  That used game plays exactly like the new games.  That $5 could go to lunch that day.

#34 Posted by Heirren (16236 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Used is generally 5 dollars cheaper. Are people really that cheap?Minishdriveby

Most of the time I can find a game for $10-$15 cheaper on Amazon in the used section

For example, Far Cry 3 is selling for $53 new on amazon right now, but there is a $40 "Like New" copy listed under the Used section.

Farcry 3 was on sale at amazon, new, for $30 not too long ago. Most of the time you can buy new, cheaper than used. To go further into amazon, even at $59 it is cheaper than $54 at GameStop because of the taxes.
#35 Posted by MAS_100 (81 posts) -

I never buy used games, however if there is a game I am unsure of but looks like it could be good then I might rent it. But i only buy new games, usually because games I buy I make sure I look into them first, hoping they will be good.

#36 Posted by Minishdriveby (10128 posts) -

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Used is generally 5 dollars cheaper. Are people really that cheap?Heirren

Farcry 3 was on sale at amazon, new, for $30 not too long ago. Most of the time you can buy new, cheaper than used. To go further into amazon, even at $59 it is cheaper than $54 at GameStop because of the taxes.

At the moment it is not on sale. I buy whatever is drastically cheaper. If it's only 5 dollars of a difference and the game is $60 I tend to wait till the game recieves a pricecut or goes on sale. Still I rarely buy GameStop used games because you can almost always find a cheaper used copy online except for the rare occasions like Radiant Historia where it's cheaper to buy a gamestop because it's rarity doesn't boost the GS price up to $64.

#37 Posted by Deadpool-n (467 posts) -

If I did not have a computer to buy games during steam, amazon, and gamefly sales I probably would buy used games occasionally.

#38 Posted by zombehhhhh (452 posts) -

I buy a lot of used games. Amazon has very cheap used games but even Gamestop is a good place to buy used games. If consoles stop allowing the use of used games, I will be very disappointed with the industry.

#39 Posted by Celldrax (14548 posts) -

No, it's just being sensible. I have a lot of games just sitting on the shelf here, hardly seeing any use.

A few of those were bought brand new. That's why I started going used (or at the very least, wait for several price drops).

#40 Posted by CheckOfMates (22 posts) -

I buy used because outside US/EU game are very pricey and almost never get a price cut. The fact that they are $72 is a reason enough. I kid you not, that when COD or FIFA comes out it's reaches $120+ on the first 2 weeks.

#41 Posted by ShaineTheNerd (1345 posts) -
If I'm rolling in the dough, I buy new. If I'm broke, I buy used. Unless it's one of those games that have an online code in the box, then I make sure I buy new. I've had an epiphany though a month or two back, and now I kinda don't want to ever buy used again. I want good games to take in all the money it deserves, not help GameStop.
#42 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

Lucky_Krystal

Agreed. I would want something new and untouched. And like I said in my previous post, I want the game to come with the case and the manual guaranteed. I HATE that the Bayonetta and Disgaea 1 and 2 games that I bought never came with the original case. They came in those ugly, bland, Gamestop cases. That drives me crazy.

First world problems

#43 Posted by getyeryayasout (7032 posts) -
The more 5 hour campaigns the industry cranks out, the more used games I buy.
#44 Posted by final_lap (319 posts) -

Screw new games. I only buy used unless the game is download-only.

#45 Posted by Spartan_N7 (576 posts) -
If you dont need an online pass to play multiplayer, then I usually buy them. 1) Because theyre, most of the time, a bit cheaper and 2) If I dont like them, I cant take it back easily.
#46 Posted by mooooo99 (1239 posts) -

I only buy new and i never sell my games this gen.. i can normally find the game cheaper and brand new still factory sealed on amazon than second hand in a store.

legacy consoles is a different story..

#47 Posted by MirkoS77 (6998 posts) -
I always buy new as I want to support the devs and publishers 100%. The only time I buy used is when I can't find it new.
#48 Posted by sukraj (21806 posts) -

I never buy used games.

#49 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69633 posts) -
i buy them once in a while if i am looking for a good deal for a game
#50 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Most of my 3DS game library comes from used games. I find them more cheaper on Ebay than buying them on retail (they are $50 here and not including taxes).