On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate the Dreamcast?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
Tell me how from 1-10 would you rate the dreamcast? And what qualities does the system have to make you choose it? The Dreamcast is getting more and more popular by the day, even outshining the Genesis in many places. I personally have the black one and if it breaks I will get another black one or none at all, but let me not jynx myself.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

i rate it a 5.  it had powerstone which i loved and thats it.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

9. It was Sega's best system (in terms of quality), and they truly did learn from their mistakes. The problem was, there was just too many mistakes before it which pretty much doomed the Dreamcast from the start.

We all go on about the Wii U's demise being mostly due to lack of games, but Dreamcast never had that problem. It introduced online gaming for the first time and had several other innovative features like its memory cards and its own keyboard which was great for online chat. I even subscribed to their own ISP Seganet (or whatever) cause I thought it would give me faster internet. It didn't lol

It was a console that was just ahead of its time, doomed from the start, that had absolute horrible timing. I wish things would have gone differently.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jakandsigz

9. It was Sega's best system (in terms of quality), and they truly did learn from their mistakes. The problem was, there was just too many mistakes before it which pretty much doomed the Dreamcast from the start.

We all go on about the Wii U's demise being mostly due to lack of games, but Dreamcast never had that problem. It introduced online gaming for the first time and had several other innovative features like its memory cards and its own keyboard which was great for online chat. I even subscribed to their own ISP Seganet (or whatever) cause I thought it would give me faster internet. It didn't lol

It was a console that was just ahead of its time, doomed from the start, that had absolute horrible timing. I wish things would have gone differently.

dbtbandit67
No, but you are right about the mistakes. I guess if they tried with smaller games they may have recovered from a lot of those mistakes.
dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dbtbandit67

Online gaming in consoles I meant. What chu know about Ultima Online!

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jakandsigz

Online gaming in consoles I meant. What chu know about Ultima Online!

dbtbandit67
Do you mean online gaming as in just modems and downloads or with actual browsers and such?
dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dbtbandit67

In a way, the Dreamcast had to pay for the debts created by 32X, Game Gear, Sega CD, and Sega Saturn. There were just too many mistakes before it.

The timing was also HORRIBLE due to the PS2 and its ability to play DVDs. DVD technology was new at the time, and streaming and video downloads weren't as big as it is now, so that was a huge edge.

It was also just too advanced for its time, kind of like a poor man's equivelant of Tesla for the gaming industry. A lot of its innovations would later on be incorporated by other consoles. I think had there been no 32X and Sega CD and had Saturn released at the same time as PS1 with similar specs (and easier to develop for) on top of the big developer base from the Genesis, things would have worked out differently for Sega.

But for Dreamcast, just Dreamcast, it was doomed from the start.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jakandsigz

In a way, the Dreamcast had to pay for the debts created by 32X, Game Gear, Sega CD, and Sega Saturn. There were just too many mistakes before it.

The timing was also HORRIBLE due to the PS2 and its ability to play DVDs. DVD technology was new at the time, and streaming and video downloads weren't as big as it is now, so that was a huge edge.

It was also just too advanced for its time, kind of like a poor man's equivelant of Tesla for the gaming industry. A lot of its innovations would later on be incorporated by other consoles. I think had there been no 32X and Sega CD and had Saturn released at the same time as PS1 with similar specs (and easier to develop for) on top of the big developer base from the Genesis, things would have worked out differently for Sega.

But for Dreamcast, just Dreamcast, it was doomed from the start.

dbtbandit67
The saturn was going to be a 2D system regardless. Sega did not view 3D as a viable thing yet.
RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
I would have to rate the Dreamcast atleast an 8. It was compact and the controller was almost perfect. I loved Ready 2 Rumble. I would have to say is the funnest boxing game. Tokyo was amazing graphically for its time period. These were graphics that had never been seen on a console and the leap from the previous gen was huge. Loved the VMU as well. It was actually my very first console of my own. Dreamcast is what made me first become a gamer because prior to that graphics were horrible in my opinion. I was extremely impressed with DOA and Soul Calibur. Oh and cant forget Revolt. Sure wish Sega would try again. :)
Avatar image for chestysilvertus
chestysilvertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 chestysilvertus
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Would give it an 8. It had very fun games on the system but there were a few flaws that held it back. It was my favorite system for a short period of time and I would enjoy to see it back again.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

In its short NA lifespan, a absolute 10. During its span, it was the greatest console on Earth. The best launch lineup ever, breaking sale/preoder records at launch, SEGA was exploding with unique, creative games pumping them out one by one.

Now, i'd give it about a 8. It roughly has about a dozen great exclusives and a handful of superior multiplats, which makes it a great console to own. But not enough to trully shine towards the greatness that it was.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#13 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
8, maybe. It's one of my favourite consoles. The only thing that made me mark it down is how quickly it was discontinued. Guess that was inevitable, sadly, but anyway; it was a great console.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#14 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

In its short NA lifespan, a absolute 10. During its span, it was the greatest console on Earth. The best launch lineup ever, breaking sale/preoder records at launch, SEGA was exploding with unique, creative games pumping them out one by one.

Now, i'd give it about a 8. It roughly has about a dozen great exclusives and a handful of superior multiplats, which makes it a great console to own. But not enough to trully shine towards the greatness that it was.

Lucianu
I would also give it an 8 , it has a lot of great games, exclusive or otherwise (I would rather play Code Veronica or MDK2 on the Dreamcast as opposed to the PS2) that said it can be an overrated console at times, not out of a lack of quality, but just because its been given an almost spotless reputation and attention , partly by the gaming media that was throwing dung at it when it was a current system.
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

During its life I'd honestly say 9 or 10.

At the end of the generation I think it would be more of a 7/10 though.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
in my opinion it's the weakest console sega created, I give it a 7
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#17 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

But you know, if you want to create a poll around a number scale, just use 1-5. That way your poll is not such a mess.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
6 for what it was. Most its games were ported to the other 6 gen consoles
drev87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 drev87
Member since 2010 • 253 Posts

8 or 9. 

The dreamcast was one of my favorite systems ever and I really wish Sega would jump back into the console wars, especially since Nintendo is doing it's best effort to kill themselves.  

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

5. Solid system, but I am NOT a fan of the library. Very few games outside of the JRPG and fighter categories, and I'm not really big into arcade sims.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Very few games outside of the JRPG and fighter categoriesWiiCubeM1

There are more Racers and Action Adventure games than RPGs, probably more shooters too.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]Very few games outside of the JRPG and fighter categoriesDomino_slayer

There are more Racers and Action Adventure games than RPGs, probably more shooters too.

I always find myself lumping action adventure games together with RPGs for some reason. Still, the Dreamcast doesn't have a strong listing of games in genres I enjoy playing, platformers being the major one. Besides Sonic Adventure 2, very few games I atually enjoy in that category.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Honestly I give it a 6. It really didn't have a very good library of games when it first came out and still doesn't. There are some classics on it though like Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia ( Never played it :( ), Sonic Adventure, etc but it just wasn't that memorable compared to other systems like N64, Snes, Genesis, PS1 / 2, etc. My opinion might of changed if I gave it more a chance back then though. I ended up selling it I think to get a PS2 or something.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

5/10 and a mixed bag for me personally.

+ some standout titles
+ opnline innovation
+ many almost perfect arcade ports

- lacked my favorite sega series (shinobi, panzer dragoon, shining, phantasy star propper, nights, golden axe etc)
- terrible paddle
- not enough rpgs

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I guess a 6-7.

OmegaAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 OmegaAK47
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts

I have one and I love it, if your interested in buying one there is a website that sells them pretty cheap with a extra conroller and other stuff. 

http://www.oogiegames.com/dreamcast-super-combo-preplayed/ 

I'vd ordered from here before pretty good stuff. 

I love the Dreamcast it's a great system to have and own. :D

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Back in the day I would give it a 8, nowadays I would give it a 2.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jakandsigz

Back in the day I would give it a 8, nowadays I would give it a 2.

Ricardomz
?
Platform_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Platform_King
Member since 2013 • 128 Posts

I would give it a nine, although the shooters like Unreal tourney have aged poorly as sh!t.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

About a 6.    It was ahead of its time for the Seganet service and online play.  But Sega alienated many third party developers like EA,  who refused to support it.    Also,  The controller was a big misstep.   Sony at the time already had a dual analog controller, and the Dreamcast only had one.    It made playing the few fps games for it like Quake and Unreal Tournament a pain in the ass.   A shame, because I loved the feel of the DC controller. it would have been awesome with dual analog controls.    It had an amazing catalog of fighing games, and lots of quirky games like Seaman and Space Channel 5,  where Sega tried to be different.    

norsecrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 norsecrusader
Member since 2013 • 74 Posts

i love the dreamcast id give it a 9, almost perfect for its time

online gaming on a console, web browser, great graphics

for its time it was amazing its really too bad it was segas last console cuz they were dabbing in things other systems werent even thinking about. alot of things that are now standard in consoles.

dreamcast forever! 

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

What killed the Dreamcast was piracy and the PS2's DVD player.  The PS2 never would have been the monster that it was without being a dvd player.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

What killed the Dreamcast was piracy and the PS2's DVD player.  The PS2 never would have been the monster that it was without being a dvd player.

sonic_spark

Not so sure about that.  The Xbox also had a DVD player and just barely managed to edge the Gamecube (last place)  in sales.     It certainly helped the PS2 having the DVD,  but the original Playstation had already pushed Sony into the gaming limelight by then,  and I think most people would've bought it anyway.    

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#34 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

8/10. During its short lifespan, its quality library was incredible. Unfortunately, it wasn't given a chance to fully realize its potential.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

[QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

ChiefFreeman

Not so sure about that.  The Xbox also had a DVD player and just barely managed to edge the Gamecube (last place)  in sales.     It certainly helped the PS2 having the DVD,  but the original Playstation had already pushed Sony into the gaming limelight by then,  and I think most people would've bought it anyway.    

Although the brand had recognition, the PS2 was the cheapest DVD player (and a good one at that) anywhere.  It killed in Japan which at the time was THE market to win.  The PS2 library was piss poor at launch and most of the first, oh, year and a half while the Dreamcast had a stellar library during the same period.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

7. It was a special kind of console, but it couldn't gain speed. Sega was in big shit by the Dreamcast, and I feel they overplayed their hand. It was just a semi-step ahead of its time, and people weren't ready. 

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

I happen to own a Dreamcast and only one game. Wanna guess? Unreal Tournament. That's right baby, you know the Dreamcast is a quality console just from that game alone. Then Soul Calibur and Shenmue. I voted 7-9 range and would say 8 is my final score for the Dreamcast.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiefFreeman"]

[QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

sonic_spark

Although the brand had recognition, the PS2 was the cheapest DVD player (and a good one at that) anywhere.  It killed in Japan which at the time was THE market to win.  The PS2 library was piss poor at launch and most of the first, oh, year and a half while the Dreamcast had a stellar library during the same period.

I gotta agree with sonic spark on this one, the DVD craze was just beginning right around the time the PS2 was launched. It really helped

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jag85

[QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

[QUOTE="ChiefFreeman"]  Not so sure about that.  The Xbox also had a DVD player and just barely managed to edge the Gamecube (last place)  in sales.     It certainly helped the PS2 having the DVD,  but the original Playstation had already pushed Sony into the gaming limelight by then,  and I think most people would've bought it anyway.    

mariokart97

I gotta agree with sonic spark on this one, the DVD craze was just beginning right around the time the PS2 was launched. It really helped

Sony always uses the PlayStation brand to promote new disc formats and vice versa. They did that with the PS2 and DVD, and again with the PS3 and Blu-Ray.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jakandsigz

[QUOTE="mariokart97"]

[QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

Jag85

Sony always uses the PlayStation brand to promote new disc formats and vice versa. They did that with the PS2 and DVD, and again with the PS3 and Blu-Ray.

Well, not the first one. And DVD was almost 6 years old when the PS2 came out.
dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dbtbandit67
Tell me how from 1-10 would you rate the dreamcast? And what qualities does the system have to make you choose it? The Dreamcast is getting more and more popular by the day, even outshining the Genesis in many places. I personally have the black one and if it breaks I will get another black one or none at all, but let me not jynx myself.Jakandsigz
9. For what it was at the time, it's my favorite gaming console of all time. It was the first and only console then that offered online gaming, and just as long as you had an ISP it was free. I really liked that, I was big into online gaming at the time. So many good games, I still haven't come close to playing through them all. Hopefully a 3rd party publisher releases a legacy console (HDMI, games pre-loaded in the hard drive) soon.
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jakandsigz
[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"]Tell me how from 1-10 would you rate the dreamcast? And what qualities does the system have to make you choose it? The Dreamcast is getting more and more popular by the day, even outshining the Genesis in many places. I personally have the black one and if it breaks I will get another black one or none at all, but let me not jynx myself.dbtbandit67
9. It was the first and only console then that offered online gaming

It wasn't the first, but you do know the Xbox, PS2, an Gamecube also have online gaming?
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jag85
[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="mariokart97"]

Jakandsigz

You mean 5 years old?
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jakandsigz
[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

You mean 5 years old?

The "almost" is right there in the sentence clear as sunshine friend.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jag85
[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Jakandsigz"] Well, not the first one. And DVD was almost 6 years old when the PS2 came out.

You mean 5 years old?

Except the PS2 came out roughly 4.5 years after the DVD's introduction, therefore "almost" 5 years old at the time... Not that it makes much difference.
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jakandsigz
[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="Jag85"] You mean 5 years old?

Except the PS2 came out roughly 4.5 years after the DVD's introduction, therefore "almost" 5 years old at the time... Not that it makes much difference.

All you had to do was say "oh I did not see that" 1995=2000 is 5 years, PS2 launched late 2000 in october near 2001, that is almost 5 years and around 9 months or so since DVD was distributed. E: If you pull the JP launch stunt for the PS2, it still would have been 5+ years.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jag85

All you had to do was say "oh I did not see that"

1995=2000 is 5 years, PS2 launched late 2000 in october near 2001, that is almost 5 years and around 9 months or so since DVD was distributed.
E: If you pull the JP launch stunt for the PS2, it still would have been 5+ years.Jakandsigz

IIRC, the DVD format was introduced in late 1995. The first DVD players then came out in 1996 (Japan) and 1997 (worldwide). And then the PS2 came out in early 2000 (Japan) and late 2000 (worldwide). 

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jakandsigz

[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"]All you had to do was say "oh I did not see that"

1995=2000 is 5 years, PS2 launched late 2000 in october near 2001, that is almost 5 years and around 9 months or so since DVD was distributed.
E: If you pull the JP launch stunt for the PS2, it still would have been 5+ years.Jag85

IIRC, the DVD format was introduced in late 1995. The first DVD players then came out in 1996 (Japan) and 1997 (worldwide). And then the PS2 came out in early 2000 (Japan) and late 2000 (worldwide). 

That is a common misconception just like DVD players being in Europe and Na as well as announced in 1996, so i see where you got that taken a look at popular public information sites. But ti was bit earlier than that. But it still was old no matter what Facts or info dumps you believe, so i would not say the PS2 introduced new Disc formats. All I can think of in those terms are Blu-rays and CD-Interactive. Which technically was introduced by Phillips.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I would rate the DreamCast 7.5 out of 10. Sega at least went down swinging. The first to use the second screen routine. Before Nintendo's GameCube and the Nintendo DS series. Sega last home console at least was ahead of it's time. Which doomed Sega as well as other factors. The Wii U can kinda trace it's inspiration from the Sega DreamCast. About 10 Million Dreamcasts were sold before Sega went Extinct from home consoles. Not bad for 18 months.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#50 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
I would give it a good 8/10. Loved powerstone and virtua fighter on the DC.