Ok, how big is Far Cry 2's world?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kevlar101 (5993 posts) -
I read on the Far Cry wiki that it is 50 km2, but that only 19 km2 of is is accessible. Wait, wut? My decision on whether or not to buy it depends on how big the world is. So, how big is it and who else agrees that that 19 km2 thing does not make sense?
#2 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18183 posts) -
The 19km thing is bullsh*t. The game is 50 square km
#3 Posted by Kevlar101 (5993 posts) -
The 19km thing is bullsh*t. The game is 50 square kmBlack_Knight_00
Ok, thanks lol see, it did not make much sense that the guy said that the game is 50 km, but only 19km is accessible.... that confused me :P
#4 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

Makes sense to me, you often travel the roads as areas between are often walled off. Far Cry 3 is truly open to the player, Far Cry 2 is not.

#5 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18183 posts) -

Makes sense to me, you often travel the roads as areas between are often walled off. Far Cry 3 is truly open to the player, Far Cry 2 is not.

contracts420
How is FarCry 2 not open? You can go anywhere you want. The only difference is it lacks verticality
#6 Posted by sukraj (21806 posts) -

How big is Far Cry 3.

#7 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

Black_Knight_00

How is FarCry 2 not open? You can go anywhere you want. The only difference is it lacks verticality

It's open world, but often times the space between dirt roads on your map is walled off, the player cannot travel these areas. Drive a dirt road, and take a sharp left, you will often drive right into a bunch of rock formations, then drive around trying to find a way passed or over... you won't be able to. Half or more of the world is actually walled off to the player. 50 square km, but ONLY 19 square km is actually ACCESSIBLE to the player.

If you still don't understand, drive from one end of an island in Far Cry 3 all the way to the other... not taking dirt roads, you can. Now try this in Far Cry 2... you won't be able to. Most of the time the space between the roads is not accessible to the player and never will be.

#8 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18183 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="contracts420"]

contracts420

It's open world, but often times the space between dirt roads on your map is walled off, the player cannot travel these areas. Drive a dirt road, and take a sharp left, you will often drive right into a bunch of rock formations, then drive around trying to find a way passed or over... you won't be able to. Half or more of the world is actually walled off to the player. 50 square km, but ONLY 19 square km is actually ACCESSIBLE to the player.

If you still don't understand, drive from one end of an island in Far Cry 3 all the way to the other... not taking dirt roads, you can. Now try this in Far Cry 2... you won't be able to. Most of the time the space between the roads is not accessible to the player and never will be.

I know both territories of FarCry 2 like the back of my hand and while I see where you're coming from, I assure you that most of these so called barriers have gaps you can drive through. And besides: FC2 is supposed to be played on foot for maximum enjoyment. Cars spoil the fun.
#9 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6234 posts) -

FC2 is plenty big but the design of the game is such that :

1. You have to go out of your way to save your game

2. You end up using the same roads/rivers over and over because it's usually the least patrolled route

3. Alot of the map is not easily accessable, you have to go waaaay on the other side of this mountain to find a path up into the hills to your left (and sometimes there's no path or at least *I* couldn't find one.)

All in all FC2 is an amazing attempt, a handful of design flaws turn an A+++++ game into a C-

It's similar to Mirror's Edge in that it's soooo close but so far away from being a rare jewel, %1 of the game ruins the other %99.

#10 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] How is FarCry 2 not open? You can go anywhere you want. The only difference is it lacks verticalityBlack_Knight_00

I know both territories of FarCry 2 like the back of my hand and while I see where you're coming from, I assure you that most of these so called barriers have gaps you can drive through. And besides: FC2 is supposed to be played on foot for maximum enjoyment. Cars spoil the fun.

Played on foot or not doesn't change that much of the world is walled off. Some of these areas may have GAPS, but are still walled off and only allow the player to make their way along very specific paths, if there even manages to be a path. So, once again... much of the game world is not accessible to the player. This is something they fixed for Far Cry 3.

#11 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18183 posts) -

contracts420

Played on foot or not doesn't change that much of the world is walled off. Some of these areas may have GAPS, but are still walled off and only allow the player to make their way along very specific paths, if there even manages to be a path. So, once again... much of the game world is not accessible to the player. This is something they fixed for Far Cry 3.

There's always an alternative road. I can play through the whole game without having to shoot up a single checkpoint
#12 Posted by ristactionjakso (5664 posts) -

It a big map.

But just buy Far Cry 3. #3 is miles better than #2.

#13 Posted by sukraj (21806 posts) -

It a big map.

ristactionjakso

but how big is far cry 3 map.

#14 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18183 posts) -

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

It a big map.

sukraj

Hard to tell, since the islands are so irregular in shape.
#15 Posted by sukraj (21806 posts) -

[QUOTE="sukraj"]

It a big map.

Black_Knight_00

Hard to tell, since the islands are so irregular in shape.

ok thanks

#16 Posted by CRS98 (9036 posts) -
The game's areas are filled with these canyons you drive through, but the game is still fun. Worth the $20 it costs unused.
#17 Posted by ristactionjakso (5664 posts) -

It a big map.

sukraj

Very big. Id say bigger than Skyrim.

#18 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

It's very large, though you can only access the second area later in the game. But it's nothing special, Far Cry 2 is very boring and repetitive game, in my opinion it's not worth buying.

#19 Posted by Kevlar101 (5993 posts) -

It's very large, though you can only access the second area later in the game. But it's nothing special, Far Cry 2 is very boring and repetitive game, in my opinion it's not worth buying.

ShadowMoses900
Too late, already made my decision. I'm buying it :)
#20 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

Black_Knight_00

Don't want to get into the fray here but wasn't there a mechanic in Far Cry 2 about malaria or some disease that would prevent you from going to certain areas basically acting like invisible walls?

#21 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18183 posts) -

Makes sense to me, you often travel the roads as areas between are often walled off. Far Cry 3 is truly open to the splayer, Far Cry 2 is not.

Goyoshi12

Don't want to get into the fray here but wasn't there a mechanic in Far Cry 2 about malaria or some disease that would prevent you from going to certain areas basically acting like invisible walls?

Not in the slightest. Malaria kicked in after a certain time you didn't take your pills and only obscured your vision a little bit. Pressing LB made it go away in an instant. I loved that mechanic, as well as jamming weapons, as they increased immersion
#22 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] How is FarCry 2 not open? You can go anywhere you want. The only difference is it lacks verticalityBlack_Knight_00

Not in the slightest. Malaria kicked in after a certain time you didn't take your pills and only obscured your vision a little bit. Pressing LB made it go away in an instant. I loved that mechanic, as well as jamming weapons, as they increased immersion

Those System Wars $#!+ heads. I could have sworn they said that the Malaria prevented you from going to other places. Then again I suck at reading comprehension 85% of the time but still.

#23 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18183 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Goyoshi12

Those System Wars $#!+ heads. I could have sworn they said that the Malaria prevented you from going to other places. Then again I suck at reading comprehension 85% of the time but still.

They must have only played the the first 5 minutes of the game, where there's the one and only case in the game of scripted malaria fainting if you walk too far away from the story mission. System wars sucks