Official Zelda: ALBW thread. Reviews up: MASTERPIECE.

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

I play a new Zelda tomorrow! I'm so excited!

Tomorrow? I thought the game comes out on Friday?

Im getting it at midnight.

#52 Posted by c_rakestraw (14459 posts) -

Im getting it at midnight.

Ah. Kinda tempted to do the same.

#53 Posted by WR_Platinum (4666 posts) -

I just hope Gamestop seperates the 3DS line from the Xbone line later tonight. It be annoying having be on the same huge line.

#54 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

Highly disappointed that the cash isn't there for me to pick up both of Nintendo's major offerings tomorrow, especially since ALBW is the Zelda game I've wanted them to make all along since OoT let me down. I'll get it soon enough, but it'd be nice to have on hand by the time I go back to work Thanksgiving night.

#55 Edited by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

Not many impressions to give out, I am still in the hand holding stage of the game. Graphically it is super impressive, say what you will of the art style, when you see this baby in motion at 60 FPS in full 3D you will say wow. It moves so perfectly and the animation is so beautiful, its like ALTTP has come to live in some strange 3D way. Oh and the 3D is extremely impressive, I put it to 2D and there was no benefit at all, no frame rate increase, it just looked worse cause the fog layer was now pasted to the screen instead of floating above it. Wait till you hear the music, oh the memories.

The map is the same so I know where everything is but of course there is new stuff everywhere. So far I am just running errands and getting the story going. I am tired so I will play it tomorrow on the plane. Oh the touch screen is used as a map where you can place up to 20 markers, now I can keep track of all heart pieces I see but cant reach. Changing gears and seeing items is done with the press of a finger all very nicely organized.

This is stupid to do but if I had to compare the first 10 minutes of both games ALTTP wins easily, ALBW is too busy pushing me around.

#56 Edited by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

I put in a full hour and finished the first dungeon, oh man this game is special. The first time you go into a wall and fit through a crack only to see you are on the outside wall of the dungeon which you can wrap around to a balcony is a moment of awe. This game makes you think of 3D space in a way no 2D Zelda ever has and the use of 3D is such an aid. There are puzzles about height and think of the world in a 3D way, it's different from most Zelda's. I have a feeling the painting mechanic will be one of the best this series has seen.

Wait till you hear the music!!!!! It's like a full orchestra is playing inside your DS! I have never heard such great music in a portable game, I feel like I am playing and at a symphony all at the same time.

There were those giant rocks blocking a path so I figured I needed a level 2 power bracelet to lift it out of the way. Then I though let me try something, I went into the wall and slipped right past the rock. Yes! Oh I am going to like this game.

#57 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22114 posts) -

This game is soo damn smooth.

The screenshots really don't do it justice

#58 Posted by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

I have to mention this again, this game has the best music I have ever heard in a portable game and possibly top 5 all time in gaming. Sorry Galaxy, this game has a better score,. This is the best music Nintendo has ever composed. The only thing that compares is being at the Zelda symphony live. I have a feeling they recorded the sympony and put it into the game. Its magnificent.

The game is fantastic but the item renting system adds little, its just a way to shut up the fools who want to complain about everything being the same all the time. So what if I could choose which dungeon to go to, it changes little, just the order I do things on. Because there is no progression it doesn't mean anything to go to that dungeon before another. Personally I rather have a set order with set difficulty scaling than this. Or make it so exploration does lead to areas where you can't access yet and through more exploration you can find the way in.

#59 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22114 posts) -

Beat the game with about 20 hours on the clock. (Did most of the sidequests and got about 80 of those octopus things)

Very smooth experience if a bit on the short side. Those who feel that zelda games have gotten to bloated will find this refreshing.

#60 Posted by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

Oh damn shadow temple was amazing!!! Took me a good 40 minutes or so to finish too and there is still one chest in there that I have no clue how to get. I love what you had to do to get in, seems like there is plenty of cool gameplay scenarios to get through for each dungeon. Oh and there is this baseball mini game, so good.

i had my first dark link fight, I am sure the game just gave me one cause I have not found any one street pass. It's pretty fun, easy though. There are so many medals to win like win with only sword, or never get hurt, etc. seems pretty deep for such a throw away feature. It's worth to try just for the music.

#61 Posted by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy: well thoughts? I still feel it's too simple, even though the dungeons are pretty great they have not fully tricked me like some of the dungeons of old. So far the free choice of dungeons have meant nothing and dungeons still only use one or two items as the focus. It seems very high quality, but not that groundbreaking.

#62 Edited by Planeforger (15319 posts) -

The game is fantastic but the item renting system adds little, its just a way to shut up the fools who want to complain about everything being the same all the time. So what if I could choose which dungeon to go to, it changes little, just the order I do things on. Because there is no progression it doesn't mean anything to go to that dungeon before another. Personally I rather have a set order with set difficulty scaling than this. Or make it so exploration does lead to areas where you can't access yet and through more exploration you can find the way in.

I disagree. Most Zelda games have you play for 15 hours just to gather the fun toys to play with. This one gives you the fun toys at the start, then has you spend the next 15 hours buying and upgrading them. It cuts down on the down-time tremendously, while also making death significant (which has never really been the case in other Zelda games). I think it's a great improvement.

Then again, I feel like they have improved on just about every aspect of the old 2d Zelda games. They've done a fantastic job with this one.

#63 Edited by BranKetra (46516 posts) -

I have really been missing out on Nintendo games. I hardly played any this past generation. When I think about all the PC, PS3, and 360 games I have been playing, I feel like what I play is made with totally different standards than Nintendo. Today, as I was looking at Nintendo game reviews, I felt a sense of wonder about video gaming that I have not experienced since my childhood. I intend to start playing Nintendo again.

#64 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22114 posts) -

Gotta agree with dvader that alot of the dungeons felt like they were too short and didn't make full use of your arsenal beyond one or two items. Wall walking mechanic is amazing though

#65 Edited by MirkoS77 (6243 posts) -

Posted this in another thread.

Anyway, I'll first come out and say that this game has finally forced me to buy a 3DS the day the game hit, as ALttP is one of my favorite games of all-time, and after having played a demo+a dose of heavy nostalgia I just had to buy. I'm at the entrance of the fourth dungeon so far, here are my impressions, to take with a grain of salt as I'm still a bit early.

Positives:

1) the gameplay is beautifully streamlined from ALttP. Everything is quicker (for example, jumping off a cliff has no delay as it used to), aiming and using/switching items is fluid and brisker in execution, and the flow is overall vastly improved. Also, the bottom screen makes selecting and organizing items immensely efficient and convenient, as is the map.

2 ) I find the stamina bar to be a wise choice that reduces tedium.

3) animation and graphical effects are nice (some WW-ish such as the bomb explosion) and a pleasure to watch, and the music is excellent as is overall sound design.

4) the merging into walls mechanic is BRILLIANT. Simply brilliant. As much shit as I often lay at Nintendo's feet for their gimmicks, this feature is a true game-changing innovation that brings an entirely new dimension and dynamic into the game. I always find myself being forced to think in a whole new way, and I love it. This is by far the best addition I've seen yet, and this is the kind of thing that makes Nintendo untouchable in their design philosophy when they get it right.

5) money is relevant. I finally have a reason to cut all the grass instead of to simply satiate my OCD urges.

6) fast travel is a nice addition.

7) not a lot of hand-holding at all, finally.

8) as usual, excellent dungeons.

Negatives:

1) as I suspected I would, and as much as I have reason to collect rupees, I don't like being able to rent/buy the items. I'm at the entrance to the fourth dungeon and already have all the items available rented. I just don't like being able to go anywhere at anytime from so early. Part of the fun of the original was the feeling of anticipation and curiosity of seeing something just off screen that's unobtainable, which gave motivation to discover what to do to get it. Since everything's easily unlocked simply from chopping grass instead of defeating dungeons and bosses it feels somewhat cheap, spoiled and less adventurous. This is not a small gripe for me, it's huge. This was a bad design choice.

2) to make the above worse, the game is far too easy so buying is pointless as I can keep all the rented items until death (which rarely happens), and if it does I can easily re-rent them with all the money I've acquired precisely BECAUSE I have the items in the first place to find the money. It's a system that contradicts itself to the game's detriment. Even Lorule is not that difficult sans a few specific enemies that are easily avoidable.

3) the intro was disappointing. I was hoping it would start off like ALttP did: the rain, the dungeon, which also had the best musical track in the game (which I've since heard, still not the same).

4) bosses are very easy.

5) petty, but the constant chirping of the lost squids is grating.

6) not really a negative as much as an observation: the overworld is still partitioned into sectors instead of being loaded all at once, which slightly breaks up the flow of the game. Shinobishyguy told me it's more due to trying to maintain a steady 60 FPS with 3D which I can understand, but still a bit disappointing.

Aside from those, I'm loving it and having to recharge my 3DS very often. Better than ALttP? I'm too early to lay such accolades at its feet, but so far, no, as being able to rent/buy the items takes away a large element of what made the original so gratifying. But a hell of a fun experience nonetheless. Now I just wish they'd give the same treatment to Super Metroid.

#66 Posted by visceron (2159 posts) -

Wait till you hear the music!!!!! It's like a full orchestra is playing inside your DS! I have never heard such great music in a portable game, I feel like I am playing and at a symphony all at the same time.

I have to agree, the music is pretty awesome.

@MirkoS77 said:

Anyway, I'll first come out and say that this game has finally forced me to buy a 3DS the day the game hit, as ALttP is one of my favorite games of all-time, and after having played a demo+a dose of heavy nostalgia I just had to buy. I'm at the entrance of the fourth dungeon so far, here are my impressions, to take with a grain of salt as I'm still a bit early.

I also bought a 3DS just for this game.

@MirkoS77 said:
1) as I suspected I would, and as much as I have reason to collect rupees, I don't like being able to rent/buy the items. I'm at the entrance to the fourth dungeon and already have all the items available rented. I just don't like being able to go anywhere at anytime from so early. Part of the fun of the original was the feeling of anticipation and curiosity of seeing something just off screen that's unobtainable, which gave motivation to discover what to do to get it. Since everything's easily unlocked simply from chopping grass instead of defeating dungeons and bosses it feels somewhat cheap, spoiled and less adventurous. This is not a small gripe for me, it's huge. This was a bad design choice.

I though this was a really good choice, I felt like it took away the grind and gave the player more choices. You still get to find hidden items in the dungeons, such as new armor, shield, ore, etc.

@MirkoS77 said:
Aside from those, I'm loving it and having to recharge my 3DS very often. Better than ALttP? I'm too early to lay such accolades at its feet, but so far, no, as being able to rent/buy the items takes away a large element of what made the original so gratifying. But a hell of a fun experience nonetheless. Now I just wish they'd give the same treatment to Super Metroid.

Agreed, not as good as ALttP, but I would put this game in my top 3 Zelda games. Also, I hope for more than anything that Super Metroid would receive the same treatment. Easily my favorite game of all time.

#67 Posted by Planeforger (15319 posts) -

@visceron said:
@MirkoS77 said:

I though this was a really good choice, I felt like it took away the grind and gave the player more choices. You still get to find hidden items in the dungeons, such as new armor, shield, ore, etc.

Agreed. The sense of exploration, overworld-puzzle-solving and constant progression is still there, and the dungeons are still rewarding, since the rewards are mainly upgrades and improvements to what you have available to you early on.

That's not a bad thing - it just means that you don't spend the first three hours wandering around with only a sword and a boomerang, and it means that ALBW's overworld puzzles tend to be more difficult/clever than simply "Oh, I should remember to come back to this tree-stump after the water temple".

#68 Posted by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

@visceron said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Agreed. The sense of exploration, overworld-puzzle-solving and constant progression is still there, and the dungeons are still rewarding, since the rewards are mainly upgrades and improvements to what you have available to you early on.

That's not a bad thing - it just means that you don't spend the first three hours wandering around with only a sword and a boomerang, and it means that ALBW's overworld puzzles tend to be more difficult/clever than simply "Oh, I should remember to come back to this tree-stump after the water temple".

I dont see that, there are still a bunch of things on the map that you have to wait to find a certain item not available in the store. Most puzzles remained solved with only one item. The only major change to the formula is the wall mechanic which is absolutely brilliant, but that is it. The structure of the game is practically the same. This whole all items thing is a cute little illusion to make it seem its different but its not, you just get to choose where to go, the content in those areas is mostly the same.

I am not trying to say this is a horrible thing, its a fantastic Zelda game, it just doesn't magically alter the formula. SS was way more different than this game is.

#69 Posted by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

I have finished 5 dungeons so far, so a little over halfway done, all have been great. So far there is a consistent quality to all the dungeons, each are well made with its own interesting theme and gameplay mechanic to go with it. That said none really push the boundaries of a zelda dungeon. Spirit Tracks I feel had the best dungeons in years for a Zelda game, that game used items in unique ways and had puzzles that really made you think. This game is like a Zelda's greatest hits, a love letter to the core zelda gameplay of old. Its excellent but it isn't going to make it to the top of my favorite zeldas list so far.

Part of that has to do with me being a super Zelda fan so I know every trick they use and this game is basically a bunch of old tricks mixed with the wall mechanic. I think if you have taken time off from the series this has the potential to blow you away. I also hear how ALBW is great cause it removes a lot of the tediousness and hand holding. I understand the last few zelda's have had components that rubbed people the wrong way, SS with its odd world design that lead to some backtracking as well as motion controls that are not for everyone. Spirit Tracks with its poor train system. Phantom Hourglass for just being meh all around. Twilight Princess for taking 10 hours to really get going. I guess for many those could vastly mess with your enjoyment of the game but I can tolerate a few issues if it gives me gameplay that blows me away. ALBW doesn't have any issue that hurts it, it is very consistent but I don't think it does anything to blow me away. Honestly I will take the true experimentation warts and all if its going to really wow me.

That said I wouldn't change ALBW, I think at this point we needed a very traditional Zelda to remind those that have wandered away from the series why this series is legendary. It is pure fun, easily the best portable game of the year, one of the top 5 games I have played this year. I still have another half of the game to go so who knows maybe it does blow me away but I think I got a good understanding of how the rest will play out. This is not a negative post about ALBW, I love it, it's simply me coming to terms with what this game is to me. For others it maybe exactly what this series needed.

#70 Edited by MirkoS77 (6243 posts) -

But that's exactly what it is, the only difference being is what you don't have to wait. I saw no puzzles on the overworld not dependent on items anymore than I did notice them in ALttP. There really is not any big difference.

#71 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22114 posts) -

I think one of my favorite parts of the game were the mini dungeons that are scattered in the overworld. Sure they only give you rupees but they felt satisfying to complete

#72 Posted by visceron (2159 posts) -

The ice and water dungeons were my favorites.

#73 Posted by S0lidSnake (28997 posts) -

I haz this game. And a 3DS. dvader's impressions and the insane bundle deal made me buy one. Let's see how good this game and the 3DS really is.

#74 Posted by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

I haz this game. And a 3DS. dvader's impressions and the insane bundle deal made me buy one. Let's see how good this game and the 3DS really is.

You better try harder than you did with TP, getting stuck in the first dungeon, come on man.

#75 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18261 posts) -

Would totally play this on a big screen, Nintendo. Make it happen.

#76 Posted by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

Yeah they should. But they wont.

#77 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

I am not sure an isometric zelda like ALBW would sell that well as a $60 release, I just don't see it.

Also their users are a loooooot less for their consoles than they are on the 3DS so there is that.

I play my 3DS at home all the time shameus, man up and get one you cranky old fart!

#78 Posted by S0lidSnake (28997 posts) -

The 3DS XL Zelda Bundle is still on sale for $149 at Target. People dont realize that the zelda bundle is on sale as well so try calling your Target stores or simply have Walmart price match it.

You might need to show them the @AskTarget twitter page where they confirm Zelda bundle is included but i didnt have to.

#79 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22114 posts) -

Hero mode in this game is insane. Pretty much any enemy can 1 or 2 shot you

#80 Posted by S0lidSnake (28997 posts) -

I am stuck already.

Just met Princess Zelda and she told me to go do something. I forget what. Anyway I am trying to make my way up to the red maker but there is a locked door and two pillars that I am supposed to do something with. There is a ghost there but he's useless because I have no Play Coins even though I have been walking around with those ridiculous binoculars for like half an hour.

I hate getting stuck in games and youtube walkthroughs with players doing a running commentary is not something I want to endure. Help!

#81 Edited by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

Loving this game right now but why is it being called the successor to Link to the Past? It doesn't follow on from the story and is just another standalone Zelda title. I'm confused.

#82 Posted by Epak_ (6731 posts) -

How long is the game exactly?

#83 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

Exactly? Like... to the second? For you? :) I'll give you a real answer when I finish it (up to the last sage) unless someone else posts first.

#84 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22114 posts) -
#85 Edited by Bigboi500 (27902 posts) -

Lovin' every minute of it so far. I just made it to Lorule. Some of you guys must spend all day and night playing this game to be so far.

#86 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22114 posts) -

@Bigboi500: thats what happens when a game has good pacing, you don't want to put it down

#87 Posted by c_rakestraw (14459 posts) -
@Epak_ said:

How long is the game exactly?

Took me 16 hours to finish, and that was just short of 100% completion (was only missing a few heart pieces). Others have said it's taken them 20 hours. Either way, it's a reasonably lengthy game.

#89 Edited by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

Finished the game WOW what a final battle!!! Why couldn't the rest of the bosses be this interesting. Total epic ending. I 100% the game, took me 18 hours.

#90 Posted by dvader654 (44750 posts) -

Miiverse on 3DS is up now! Zelda miiverse section is being filled up quick, I just discovered there is a red tunic.