Official Zelda: ALBW thread. Reviews up: MASTERPIECE.

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

The sequel to one of the most acclaimed beloved games of all time is almost here!!!!!

Release date: Nov 22.

Sweet limited edition bundle coming as well.

A Link Between Worlds is a spiritual sequel to ALTTP. It has the same overworld but remixed with all new dungeons, enemies, story, well its a totally new game. The main power is the painting into a wall mechanic. Other major changes include the item shop which allows you to buy all items in the game so you can approach dungeons any way you want.

This maybe the dark horse for GOTY.

(This site ruins the pics)

Reviews:

Game Informer – 10

God is a Geek – 10

CVG – 10

Joystiq – 5/5

EGM – 10

Digital Spy – 10

VideoGamer – 10

Nintendo Life – 10

Eurogamer Italy – 10

Gaming Nexus – 9.8

3djuegos – 9.5

Meristation – 9.5

Nintendo World Report – 9.5

IGN – 9.4

Metro – 9

GamesRadar – 9

Gamespot – 9

Edge – 8

Destructoid – 6.5

I want to let the experience roll around in my brain for a while before I decide where it ranks among the best entries in the franchise, but I can say with confidence that it should be spoken in the same breath as A Link to the Past. In every way, A Link Between Worlds is exactly what you want out of a Zelda game.

#2 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22301 posts) -

The score is great until you realize GI gave Skyward Sword the same thing.

Not saying it won't be awesome but try not to let your hype reach critical mass

#3 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Damn you and your logic.

#4 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22301 posts) -

Also GS's review isn't up but you don't need a crystal ball to see that they're gonna give it an 8.0 like every other 3ds game

#5 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Also GS's review isn't up but you don't need a crystal ball to see that they're gonna give it an 8.0 like every other 3ds game

Yup.

#6 Edited by Gemini_Red (3290 posts) -

You never know, they could very well give this game a 9 or higher.

.......and I could try saying that with a straight face, but it's pretty difficult to do.

In all seriousness if everything about the game is rock solid, I could see them giving it the same score as Fire Emblem(8.5)

#7 Posted by MirkoS77 (6777 posts) -
#9 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22301 posts) -

@MirkoS77: I liked it despite its faults but I understand that alot of people didn't

#10 Edited by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy: Probably even lower than that. I could see it going as low as a 5 depending on the reviewer.

#11 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22301 posts) -

@1PMrFister: given gamespots click baiting ways as of late I wouldn't be surprised

#12 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16273 posts) -

that's actually got me excited for the game, even if they did give TP and SS tens... While I doubt the game will be a 10/ 10 for me, I have high hopes.

#13 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Nintendo showed footage of basically the entire game, even the final Ganon boss. I am not posting it, its ridiculous to spoil the entire game a week away.

#14 Posted by MirkoS77 (6777 posts) -

@1PMrFister: given gamespots click baiting ways as of late I wouldn't be surprised

I usually don't agree when people say this site's reviews are simply a lure for traffic, but it does seem so lately. This site has suffered......reviews not as good as they once were, forums suck.

#15 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

WTF is this

Someone says this went up and was taken down. I dont believe it.

#16 Posted by c_rakestraw (14534 posts) -

@dvader654: Given GameSpot's history with such accidents, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the actual review. Now the score, however... that would be a shock. Must be one hell of a good Zelda game.

#17 Edited by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

I love that bold and italic MASTERPIECE in all caps. They should add some fireworks and underline it just to be safe.

#18 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@dvader654: Wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be a fake. People on System Wars have been posting fake reviews for this game in the last couple days. Someone could have taken the next logical step and threw something together in photoshop.

#19 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

OH WOW! 1 PERSON OUT OF BILLIONS LIKES IT A LOT AND PUT A NUMBER BETWEEN 1 TO 10 ON IT SO AWWEEESSSSOMMMEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and that bundle sucks, they charge more than a standard 3dsxl but the game they include isn't even a physical copy, its a code for the digital download version.

#20 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22301 posts) -

@Gargus: your going to choke on all of those sour grapes you keep shoving down your gullet

#21 Posted by Solaryellow (412 posts) -

I've waited over twenty years for the game that defined Nintendo of the 1990's. There will not be a let down with the sequel.

#22 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Review embargo ends at 1pm est

#23 Posted by c_rakestraw (14534 posts) -
#24 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Reviews are through the roof!! I can't post them, on a phone now. Please update with all the reviews. Outside two bad apples it's universally praised, it's GTAV levels of love!

#25 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22301 posts) -

Lol destuctoid

#26 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

This is so mine, gimmie gimmie gimmie! lol.

It is everything I have wanted Zelda to be since forever and a day, first time in a decade I am excited about a Zelda game.

#27 Posted by c_rakestraw (14534 posts) -

Reviews are through the roof!! I can't post them, on a phone now. Please update with all the reviews. Outside two bad apples it's universally praised, it's GTAV levels of love!

Done. Added a few of the more prominent ones to the thread.

#28 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy: that review goes against everything everyone else says. Consensus is that the dungeons are fantastic with some of the best puzzles ever, destruction says they are poor and easy. Most say the game is difficult, they say it's a breeze. What am I supposed to think with that review?

Whatever.

#29 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22301 posts) -

@dvader654: I haven't even read the review under the assumption that it was click bait. From what your saying it looks like thats the case.

#30 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Check out this praise!!

Gameinformer said:

When Nintendo announced that it was returning to A Link to the Past’s version of Hyrule for A Link Between Worlds, I expected a nice, nostalgic homage to the SNES classic. I didn’t think it would blow me away. I was wrong. This isn’t just a tribute; as amazing as A Link to the Past is, I can’t think of a single thing A Link Between Worlds doesn’t do better.

CVG said:

A Link Between Worlds feels like a perfect storm for the series; a swirling whirlpool of nostalgia along with disruptive ideas and twists on the familiar 2D gameplay. In many ways it's the definitive handheld Zelda, with players able to obtain the items that they want, explore with no restraints and build their own hero without any of the overbearing hand-holding that's hampered the series in recent years.

It makes you remember just how thrilling the old Zelda adventures used to be, and then shows you how the format can still surprise and enthral decades after its inception.

Videogamer:

it's the rest of ALBW which truly shines. Along with some of the best music I've ever heard in a game, its intelligent dungeon design, incredible use of 3D and the merge mechanic - which will constantly trick and challenge your mind - and the numerous nods to the entire series meant I thought my heart would burst from my chest in joy. This deserves its place among the great Zelda games of yesteryear.

Wonderful.

Nintendolife:

Without a doubt, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is currently the greatest game you can experience on the 3DS. Much like the legendary Master Sword that features throughout the series, this game is beautifully crafted and offers a superbly streamlined and timeless gameplay experience.

Nintendo has made all the right changes to the gameplay formula, resulting in a game that is always incredibly good fun to play. Long-time fans will certainly get a kick out of its nostalgic presentation, while all players will appreciate its impeccable design and superb usage of the 3DS's touch screen.

Eiji Aonuma and his team at Nintendo set themselves the unenviable challenge of creating the perfect Legend of Zelda game; with A Link Between Worlds, they may well have achieved just that.

IGN said:

Between Worlds recaptures the spirit of adventure that gave the early games Zelda their potency, and lays out a vision for Zelda games still to come. It invites them - and us, the long-term fans - to let go of conventions that may have been comforting, but were ultimately holding us back. It’s at once intensely nostalgic and powerfully novel, unpatronising and cerebral. As a Zelda fan, I couldn’t wish for much more.

Gamesradar said:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds takes you back to the rich, dual world of A Link to the Past, and brings interesting gameplay elements, outstanding 3D visuals, and challenging puzzles to make a fantastic Zelda title. If you've played the SNES classic, you might find the remade overworld a bit too familiar, but with Ravio's item rental system, tight dungeon design, and addictive overworld distractions, A Link Between Worlds stands strong on its own merits. This is definitely an adventure that every 3DS owner needs to play.

NWR said:

A lot of folks consider Link to the Past to be the greatest Zelda game, if not the greatest game of all time. A Link Between Worlds matches that masterpiece every step of the way, creating one of the finest Zelda games since Link to the Past.

#31 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22301 posts) -

Based aonuma

Looks like he got his mojo back

#32 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

WTF is this, from the Gamereactor review

First, the dungeons are shorter than they normally are in a typical console Zelda title, taking around 20 minutes to complete--a reasonable amount of time for the gamer on the go.

20 minute dungeons?! Forget it, this game sucks. :P

#33 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Todd Mcshae at gaf:

I didn't review this for GameSpot, but I'm more than halfway through, and am confident that, at worst, this is the third best game in the franchise, on the same level as The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past.

OMG he even liked it. Does that mean I wont like it? :P

#34 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

91 Metacritic. Looks like it's not today that I'll see a Nintendo-developed Zelda that doesn't exceed my hype.

#35 Posted by BranKetra (47359 posts) -

In both Game Informer's 100th and 200th issue specials in which they listed the greatest games of all time, A Link to the Past was near the top. For them to say A Link Between Worlds is superior is a huge praise.

#36 Posted by MirkoS77 (6777 posts) -

Good news. I'll have to pick this up at some point.

#37 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

They had an awesome Iwata asks for this game. Miyamoto basically trashed the early drafts of the game which would have been another WW portable based game. He was the one who told them to base it on ALTTP. Thank you Miyamoto.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/a-link-between-worlds/0/0

They came up with the wall idea first, and they were originally planning it to be another Wind Waker game.

Iwata: What was Miyamoto-san's reaction?

Tominaga: He tore it up! (laughs)

Shikata: Again! (laughs)

Everyone: (laughs)

Tominaga: But he didn't just criticize, he also gave us a hint. He suggested basing it on The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Iwata: That was when A Link to the Past first came into the picture?

Tominaga: Yes. And right after Aonuma-san said, "What if we base it on A Link to the Past, and try pairing entering walls with a point of view looking down from directly overhead?"

Iwata: So you based it on A Link to the Past because of suggestions from Miyamoto-san and Aonuma-san?

Tominaga: Yes.

Aonuma: Actually, Miyamoto-san had been challenging me to do something ever since the Nintendo 3DS came out. He suggested making a 2D Zelda game like A Link to the Past playable in stereoscopic 3D.

Iwata: Oh.

Aonuma: But simply taking a 2D game and making it 3D isn't interesting at all.

Iwata: It's just like, "We made this 3D."

Aonuma: Right. That was a problem we were facing for a while and I wondered what to do. Then, when I first saw Shikata-san's gameplay of entering walls, I was surprised, but as we played for a while from an overhead, diagonal angle view like in Spirit Tracks, that surprise faded after a time.

Iwata: Why was that?

Aonuma: It didn't look different enough when you entered the wall. Then, as I was discussing various things with Tominaga-san, we considered placing the camera directly overhead and fixing it there, and we made a test version. It felt really intriguing when Link entered a wall and the view switched from a top-down view to a side view. Miyamoto-san had given us the task of turning 2D Zelda into stereoscopic 3D, so...

Iwata: It connected with that.

Aonuma: Right. It fit perfectly, and I thought, "This is it!" I also suggested to everyone that we should use the landforms from A Link to the Past instead of starting from scratch.

Iwata: Did anyone say that it would turn out like a remake even though you had this new idea of entering walls?

Aonuma: They did. Everyone gets skeptical when they simply hear about it in words.

Iwata: Sure.

Aonuma: So I used a tool myself to render the landforms of A Link to the Past into 3D.

Iwata: You did that yourself? (laughs)

Aonuma: Yeah. It took about three days.

Tominaga: I think it took a little longer...

Aonuma: Did it? (laughs) I wasn't sure it was right for a producer to go that far, but I thought showing the actual thing would be more convincing and made three-dimensional landforms. I had them place Link and move him around. When they saw that they all marveled out loud and were convinced that it works. When we showed it to Miyamoto-san, he finally gave the okay. About when was that?

Tominaga: It was two months after Miyamoto-san ripped it apart in May of 2012. The first presentation was no good, the second one was okay, the third was no good, and the fourth was okay, so it went through a cycle of bad to good.

Iwata: This project was both trashed and praised. (laughs)

Tominaga: Yeah! (laughs)

#38 Posted by WR_Platinum (4666 posts) -

I'm just so hyped for this!

#39 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

As much as I loved WW, there's a lot of folks who don't like Toon Link and sadly I didn't care for either Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks. PH would've been fine if it didn't make you repeat the same temple over and over again and with ST I was just downright bored. SS I worked through but it had a lot of times it dragged and I felt like I was getting burned out on the Zelda series.

I am most excited for this one's non linear approach which seems to be the reason for the good reviews. Gone is the handholding of past games which Anouma said he heard fan feedback regarding Fi and how players wanted a challenge and the fact that you can do the dungeons in whatever order you want. It's the shock to the system the series desperately needed.

Also I think what we see here will carry over to the WiiU game. If Miyamoto told him to trash Toon Link for this, then that's a good sign we'll get a more realistic looking Link for the WiiU game that hopefully carries over this non-linear approach.

#40 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

This is the game I would've bought a Wii U for (along with Super Mario 3D)....

Since it's on a handheld, I'll never play it. The sequel to LttP deserved to be on a home consoles, not a tiny screen with battery life that dictates how long it can be played. And what really sucks is that there is no way the game will ever come to consoles, as I am hearing that the 3D aspect of the game is crucial instead of optional.

#41 Edited by Planeforger (15392 posts) -

This is the game I would've bought a Wii U for (along with Super Mario 3D)....

Since it's on a handheld, I'll never play it. The sequel to LttP deserved to be on a home consoles, not a tiny screen with battery life that dictates how long it can be played. And what really sucks is that there is no way the game will ever come to consoles, as I am hearing that the 3D aspect of the game is crucial instead of optional.

To be fair, the 3DS XL screen is actually pretty large (I dare say that it might even impress you if you haven't seen it yet, especially compared to the original 3DS/DS), and you can always keep your 3DS plugged into the wall if you really want to mimic the home console experience.

#42 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Its a Zelda game, of course it will be a masterpiece in the eyes of reviewers.

This is a long time running major franchise from a major company that is throwing a lot of advertising dollars behind it. No reviewer will give it less than godlike praise because no reviewer wants to take the chance on losing out on getting some of those advertising dollars. Whether it be a game website or a magazine they both depend on advertisements they are paid to put up in order to keep their doors open and who pays them to put up advertisements? Game companies, they don't want to piss them off when it comes to big companies with big franchises. The only time they will ever be negative is when everyone else is doing it, and they will always match each other.

Aside from that you also have that old-school rose tined glasses problem where now its cool to like retro games so they want to appeal to those people also and will pander to them.

Personally I don't care though. Nintendo has whored out its franchises too much for me. I just wish for once they would make a original game instead of constantly parading out the same tired old franchise sequels, franchise spinoffs, remakes and rereleases. Not only is "another Zelda game" but its also another Zelda game that is just a sequel, a lazy one at that since the majority of the game is just recreating an old one with a few new tricks thrown in.

#43 Edited by King9999 (11835 posts) -

Shame-us, get over yourself already. :P

That Iwata Asks was a great read. I'm intrigued by how the game will look in stereoscopic 3D at 60fps. I don't use 3D much, so I'm hoping the increased frame rate will make 3D easier to view.

#44 Posted by immortality20 (7955 posts) -

Looks like this will be the first Zelda game I complete since OoT. I played TP but never really got into it and missed Skyward Sword, so pretty excited for this. Not sold on the whole renting weapons thing, especially if you have to travel for long distances without any sort of quick travel. But, with the AAA reviews it has it's a must play for me. My brother and I will split the cost and pick this up for sure.

#45 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Tom Mc Shae put out a video today just so he could praise this game. In other news the world is ending.

#46 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

@dvader654: Well in a way, I agree with Tom. I love Zelda but it really did feel like the series was getting complacent and just recycling Ocarina's template and throwing in something like a wolf, or a boat or a train. I remember being bored with Spirit Tracks and so much of it's filler along with the fact that trains are boring and Skyward Sword took me forever to beat because, I'd play a while, get stuck at a point and take a break and play something else. I didn't mind the motion controls but as he pointed out, a lot of filler when all you wanted to do was go to the next dungeon and my God was Fi annoying. She was almost as bad as Zelda's ghost in ST nagging you like an overly attached girlfriend. Nintendo wanted to bring in casuals but thought they needed to have their hands held to make games more "approachable" but that is not the case. Games should've have hour long tutorials, they should be easy to pick up and play and the complexitiy comes in the enemy and level design. Easy to learn, hard to master is the mantra all games should follow.

The thing about this, is knowing Nintendo, they'll take from this the foundation to make the WiiU Zelda like this but bigger. Much like we saw with the transistion between Mario 3D Land and Mario 3D World. Meaning we can expect the WiiU Zelda to have a non linear structure and no annoying tutorial partner yapping at us.

#47 Posted by Solaryellow (412 posts) -

A good game deserves to be played whether in the arcade, on a hand held, on a home console, etc.., Too bad Nintendo didn't work some magic like they did with the GCN being able to play portable titles with the game boy adapter.

#48 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

@Solaryellow: I have seen posts around of people saying it would be awesome if Nintendo made a 3DS/DS player for the WiiU. On paper it sounds good given that the WiiU is essentially a DS in console form but at the same time, how would you hook it up to the system? The Super Game Boy for the SNES was simple as it was built like a cart you stuck GB games in and the GBA player could attach easily to the bottom of the GC but how would a DS player attach to the WiiU? You'd probably have a USB plug in the back and have an extra peripheral sitting on top or to the side of the WiiU. Then there's the other big factor that 3DS games look great on that little screen but blown up on a 1080p big screen TV would turn the resolution to crap. Anyone have ideas on this?

#49 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I play a new Zelda tomorrow! I'm so excited!

#50 Posted by c_rakestraw (14534 posts) -

I play a new Zelda tomorrow! I'm so excited!

Tomorrow? I thought the game comes out on Friday?