Official Wii U launch thread! Out Now! Reviews in! 1G update...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22925 posts) -
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="dvader654"]Yeah the wii games looked nicer, its not like an HD remake but its cleaner I think.dvader654
have you tried galaxy on it?

Zelda only.

oh. Did it look like it does on the dolphin or does it still look jagged?
#202 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Ok NintendoLand is AWESOME!!! I think its better alone, the single player games are extremely addicting. DK one in particular is devilishly evil, must finish it. Balloon Fight is fantastic, making you control the game with swipes on the screen to create wind gusts like Lost Winds. I am only scratching the surface, so much to do. When miiverse is activated the plaza comes alive with tons of random miis, all with messages. Some people draw amazing stuff, others are complaining about a difficult level. There are even find a mii mini game where the screen shows you three miis and you have to find them in the crowd to get a coin. Coins unlock stuff in the plaza like statues and a giant jukebox that will unlock with various Nintendo music. If only this game had online play, the online setup is so perfect already. dvader654

Told you. I havent even tried all the minigames yet, and imo it's the Wii Sports of this gen. It's got that Nintendo magic.

Also, how good are the graphics?! Especially in the plaza. It really sucks that the game has you constantly looking at the tablet screen because it's so low res compared to whats on tv. It looks like a pixar movie at times. The colors are perfect, shiny and bring the plaza to life. I can only imagine a Vita OLED screen on this tablet.

#203 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] have you tried galaxy on it?Shinobishyguy
Zelda only.

vader, can I play Skyword Sword with the tablet?

#204 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22925 posts) -

anyone here play Mario? How is it?

I know it's Mario and everything but how is the level design and general difficulty curve?

#205 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Damn MiiVerse is really cool when there are a bunch of people on. Some of the stuff these guys draw is incredible. I am beyond hooked on Nintendoland. It is like a crazy Nintendo themed arcade all about getting high scores in a wide variety of games.
#206 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] have you tried galaxy on it?

Zelda only.

No nothing like Dolphin. It picture just seems clearer, not as muddy. But it looks just like a wii game.
#207 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22925 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="dvader654"] Zelda only.dvader654

No nothing like Dolphin. It picture just seems clearer, not as muddy. But it looks just like a wii game.

ah, so it doesn't look like someone smeared vaseline on the screen anymore?

Nice

#208 Posted by Allicrombie (26185 posts) -
haha went to two Target's looking for it, no dice. Oh well.
#209 Posted by JJ_Productions (1067 posts) -
I noticed a trend of misinformation and I would like to clear up all false preconceptions. First off, many claim that the Wii backwards compatibility isnt accessable unless you update that console which users have stated that as being false, even some being unaware of such a claim. Another is the update, there is a magical number of 5 Gigs floating around claiming to be the size of the update for the Wii U. Is this true? Many media websites are reporting this 5 gb claim, yet who is the source of the claim? A tweetby geoff knightley who claims Nintendo directly told him accord to a tweet he made. Doing some research on my own, sites like eurogamer and neogaf report the update to be no more then 1 gb. I will continue to update this thread with more articles, feel free to add your input as well. I believe this spread of misinformation is criminal.
#210 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
I am in LOVE with ZombiU. I have put 4 hours into the game, only have died once and every second is tense as hell. This year if the game has zombies in it, just ignore the reviews cause reviewers have no clue. Every big encounter feels like a major moment cause you fear death in a way most action games you never do. The only aspect that is bad is the melee, super simplistic and boring, sadly many encounters have you just bopping the head of a zombie over and over. But when you get two or more zombies at once then you have to use your weapons wisely. To conserve ammo i would set up traps, I would lay a flare which attracts the zombies and then throw a grenade at the group. Or set a land mine and cause some noise to have them run right into it. Of course there is the last resort RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!! This game feels like a zombie movie more than any I have played. I love how the gamepad is used, perfect for survival horror item mangement. Every choice of your inventory is very important as time is precious when zombies attack. The scanning is really cool, the implications for interesting puzzles can be limitless though this game doesnt seem to have any puzzles. An old school RE game using this control method would be incredible. Capcom get to work. Oh and then there is the community aspect, I love getting messages of edge dying and knowing his zombie is loose on my world. The message system is crap, you can only write in dumb symbols. No where near as interesting as Demons souls. It is a shame many of you wont get to play this. Grammaton I bet you would really like it. This is a nice gem of a game, no GOTY winner or anything but one of those games that you wont soon forget.
#211 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

You know what I find insane? PS Vita with its 712MB of RAM runs and plays apps a million times faster than the Wii U. It's interface is so much more pleasing than the Wii U. The features and apps are just as good as the Wii U. Netflix, Youtube, Skype all run in the background. And now with the firmware 2.0 update, you can send emails, browser is as good as any smartphone browser, browse internet during games, and play all kinds of games in an awesome looking screen that ENHANCES the graphics instead of degrading it like the Wii U tablet screen does.

I still like the Wii U (NintendoLand is just plain cool) but it didnt floor me like Vita did eight months ago. And therein lies the twist, the real next gen Wii U was released back in Feburary with a true multitouch screen and rearpad, and an awesome interface. I truly hope Sony gives every dev kit the ability to mimick the Vita as the controller for PS4 games because that right there is the Wii U done right.

#212 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Felt so much better about the Wii U today. I could not put the pad down, the games are all addicting and miiverse adds to that. Had a blast doing nothing but play the system today. Had to charge the pad three times though...
#213 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Felt so much better about the Wii U today. I could not put the pad down, the games are all addicting and miiverse adds to that. Had a blast doing nothing but play the system today. Had to charge the pad three times though...dvader654

Yikes. I've heard the battery only lasts around 3 hours. Sounds like you pretty much have to keep it wired at all times if you consistently game on it.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
#214 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

I am in LOVE with ZombiU. I have put 4 hours into the game, only have died once and every second is tense as hell. This year if the game has zombies in it, just ignore the reviews cause reviewers have no clue. Every big encounter feels like a major moment cause you fear death in a way most action games you never do. The only aspect that is bad is the melee, super simplistic and boring, sadly many encounters have you just bopping the head of a zombie over and over. But when you get two or more zombies at once then you have to use your weapons wisely. To conserve ammo i would set up traps, I would lay a flare which attracts the zombies and then throw a grenade at the group. Or set a land mine and cause some noise to have them run right into it. Of course there is the last resort RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!! This game feels like a zombie movie more than any I have played. I love how the gamepad is used, perfect for survival horror item mangement. Every choice of your inventory is very important as time is precious when zombies attack. The scanning is really cool, the implications for interesting puzzles can be limitless though this game doesnt seem to have any puzzles. An old school RE game using this control method would be incredible. Capcom get to work. Oh and then there is the community aspect, I love getting messages of edge dying and knowing his zombie is loose on my world. The message system is crap, you can only write in dumb symbols. No where near as interesting as Demons souls. It is a shame many of you wont get to play this. Grammaton I bet you would really like it. This is a nice gem of a game, no GOTY winner or anything but one of those games that you wont soon forget.dvader654

Well, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it.

If I do get a Wii U it will be much further down the line but I do think ZombiU looks interesting even if it is rough around the edges.

Incidentally, have you played Dead Island? How would you compare that game to ZombiU?

#215 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]I am in LOVE with ZombiU. I have put 4 hours into the game, only have died once and every second is tense as hell. This year if the game has zombies in it, just ignore the reviews cause reviewers have no clue. Every big encounter feels like a major moment cause you fear death in a way most action games you never do. The only aspect that is bad is the melee, super simplistic and boring, sadly many encounters have you just bopping the head of a zombie over and over. But when you get two or more zombies at once then you have to use your weapons wisely. To conserve ammo i would set up traps, I would lay a flare which attracts the zombies and then throw a grenade at the group. Or set a land mine and cause some noise to have them run right into it. Of course there is the last resort RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!! This game feels like a zombie movie more than any I have played. I love how the gamepad is used, perfect for survival horror item mangement. Every choice of your inventory is very important as time is precious when zombies attack. The scanning is really cool, the implications for interesting puzzles can be limitless though this game doesnt seem to have any puzzles. An old school RE game using this control method would be incredible. Capcom get to work. Oh and then there is the community aspect, I love getting messages of edge dying and knowing his zombie is loose on my world. The message system is crap, you can only write in dumb symbols. No where near as interesting as Demons souls. It is a shame many of you wont get to play this. Grammaton I bet you would really like it. This is a nice gem of a game, no GOTY winner or anything but one of those games that you wont soon forget.Grammaton-Cleric

Well, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it.

If I do get a Wii U it will be much further down the line but I do think ZombiU looks interesting even if it is rough around the edges.

Incidentally, have you played Dead Island? How would you compare that game to ZombiU?

It is sitting on my shelf, have not got around to it.
#216 Posted by Jbul (4838 posts) -

Funny how this system once piqued my interest. "Nintendo's return to the hardcore", they said. "it'll be as, if not more powerful than current gen consoles", they said. Now that the truth has been revealed -- the system is in fact weaker than current gen systems in every regard -- and these limited specs will further limit creative outlet as well as 3rd party ports (which are already sh!t, if you read the reviews for ME3 or Batman: Arkham City). So tell me again Nintendo, how is this machine relevant? A Standard Definition Tablet controller? Specs weaker than a system released almost 10 year ago? Rehashes of old games that desperately need a technical and creative boost?

I'm with S0lid on his views of "this generation" -- I find it old, boring, and completely burned out. Potentially brilliant and amitious games like Assassin's Creed III are completely crippled with bugs and texture pop-in, not to mention 15 FPS gameplay. Would anyone like to imagine this game running on a Quad Core processor with 8GB of Ram and a Radeon 7900 series graphics card? It would have the potential to be an all-time classic. As is, it's hamstrung by aged technology. And what do we get with the Wii U? A step back. Pass. F*** you Reggie, you're not gonna steal my money... again.

#217 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

NintendoLand continues to surprise me. Played the Pikmin and the Racing game today. Both played fantastic. i was sold on the full Pikmin game, is it even out? And the obstacle crash course was addicting as well. Funny how Sony has had a similar gadget out for 1 year now and still havent been able to produce anything remotely as close to inventive and addicting like NintendoLand.

Another thing I noticed is that these games seem simple at first, but the difficulty ramps up quickly and before you know it, it is asking you to use reflexes, skill and strategy. Donkey Kong is starting to test my patience....

The one thing that has been PISSED is that all games with multiplayer require the Wii Motion Plus controller. I only have the Wii Remote without the motion plus add-on so now Im gonna have to spend $20 on that stupid thing. Whats worse is that no one carries it in store so I will have to order it online.

#218 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Funny how this system once piqued my interest. "Nintendo's return to the hardcore", they said. "it'll be as, if not more powerful than current gen consoles", they said. Now that the truth has been revealed -- the system is in fact weaker than current gen systems in every regard -- and these limited specs will further limit creative outlet as well as 3rd party ports (which are already sh!t, if you read the reviews for ME3 or Batman: Arkham City). So tell me again Nintendo, how is this machine relevant? A Standard Definition Tablet controller? Specs weaker than a system released almost 10 year ago? Rehashes of old games that desperately need a technical and creative boost?

I'm with S0lid on his views of "this generation" -- I find it old, boring, and completely burned out. Potentially brilliant and amitious games like Assassin's Creed III are completely crippled with bugs and texture pop-in, not to mention 15 FPS gameplay. Would anyone like to imagine this game running on a Quad Core processor with 8GB of Ram and a Radeon 7900 series graphics card? It would have the potential to be an all-time classic. As is, it's hamstrung by aged technology. And what do we get with the Wii U? A step back. Pass. F*** you Reggie, you're not gonna steal my money... again.

Jbul

I disagree with you and Solid on the current gen and the next gen. Whether it is a controller with a tablet screen or a superfast processor (there are lots of buggy medium to high end PC games), tech doesn't magically make companies creative or competent. If designers don't want to do anything different and/or don't care if the game they ship is buggy, those attitudes are going to mar everything they release everywhere. Also, I am still having a lot of fun with this generation, due to the likes of X-com, LBP (the various flavors), The Walking Dead, Journey, Sine Mora (I've only played the demo, but the demo is amazing), Starhawk (while it lasted :cry: ), PS Allstars (had a lot of fun with the beta, though right now I am learning the characters in SP) and Gravity Rush.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
#219 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Jbul

Not to derail this thread but I personally think ACIII looks and plays terrific. It's a new engine and it certainly is pushing the hardware to the max but I haven't encountered an abundance of technical issues and the frame rate seems to maintain a fairly steady 30fps with some dips, which places it on par with previous AC games.

While I certainly think new hardware is a must I'm still very much enjoying what the current HD twins are offering. As per usual, we are getting some of the best software at the end of the hardware cycle and I continue to be amazed at what these systems can deliver.

#220 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

My problem has been the same with every Nintendo system to date; while there have been some good third-party games available for them, it's the Nintendo ones that I only want to play and I realize that's not good enough now. When you take a look at the launch titles, it's strictly ports of games that we've seen or played before and only few of them pique my interest, like Mario or Armored Edition with its new additions. Beyond that, why buy it now? Just to test out the new tablet, which I've heard only mixed reviews of? At this point, it seems like Nintendo think they know what's best for them, yet not a whole lot of other developers are on board with their vision, which is sad, really. It used to excite me, what they were capable of bringing to the table and the last system that I truly got excited for, from Nintendo, was the Gamecube, since it had a lot of good titles on it. Nowadays, only a few, quality games exist on the Wii and Wii U and that's just frightening.

#221 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

It's hard to feel too sorry for you, to be honest. I mean, if you don't know what you're getting into when buying a Nintendo console by now, that's your own fault, man.

Why would you buy one if there are no games that made the purchase worthwhile? I kind of understand -- after all, I bought a fvcking 3DO back in the day, but Jesus Christ, this is NINTENDO we're talking about here, none of this should surprise anyone.

Not trolling you, just trying to figure out why you'd buy one to begin with, especially when there's been zero hype for this thing and the chances of you selling it for fat sacks of cash on Ebay were about as likely as getting a threeway with Jenna Jameson and Stoya.

Shame-usBlackley

Is there a Mario subscription for the WiiU? Like, there's a new Mario release every week, right? Like, I only have Mario 1 through 897. Like, has Mario 898 been released yet? Is there a Sonic subscription for the WiiU? Like, there's a new Sonic release every week, right? Like, I only have Sonic 1 through 897. Like, has Sonic 898 been released yet?

#222 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I disagree with you and Solid on the current gen and the next gen. Whether it is a controller with a tablet screen or a superfast processor (there are lots of buggy medium to high end PC games), tech doesn't magically make companies creative or competent. If designers don't want to do anything different and/or don't care if the game they ship is buggy, those attitudes are going to mar everything they release everywhere. Also, I am still having a lot of fun with this generation, due to the likes of X-com, LBP (the various flavors), The Walking Dead, Journey, Sine Mora (I've only played the demo, but the demo is amazing), Starhawk (while it lasted :cry: ), PS Allstars (had a lot of fun with the beta, though right now I am learning the characters in SP) and Gravity Rush.

CarnageHeart

My views are rooted in the belief that the devs DO want to try out new things, move on to new franchises instead of doing the same thing over and over again. And history points to a trend where a new generation brings with it new IPs. ND moved from Jak to Uncharted, Bioware introduced Mass Effect and Dragon Age, Sucker Punch Sly to Infamous, Prince of Persia team gave us the awesome and ambitious AC series. Hell, even IW revamped their Call of Duty series, brought it to the modern era and revolutionized for better or worse the online multiplayer arena.

And to me, new IPs mean new possibilities. I doubt ND will make a new IP and have the exact same gameplay as Uncharted. And while I personally would like to see another Uncharted, KIllzone and Infamous on a next gen console. I am pretty certain all these devs will move on to new IPs soon after that.

There are rumors that Guerrilla Games and Sony Santa Monica have split into two teams like ND, and they are both working on new IPs. Sucker Punch is said to be working on something new as well. Media Molecule and ND have already shown their new IPs. I believe I once read a Sony exec say that the reason why they allowed ND to have a second team after Uncharted 2 was because they didnt want to risk losing talent to different studios, and allowed them to do something different inhouse.

#223 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

F*ck! I didnt pick up my other order of Wii U thinking I had a week to pick it up and I just found out that they only hold it for 2 days. here is the thing though, they charged me $25 to reserve it, do I lose that money now?

#224 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
No clue solid, that sucks. BTW you are the most negative dude on nintendoland. I see your mii wandering around my plaza and the message says Lame. You are such a downer, :p Negativedude indeed.
#225 Posted by Pedro (25399 posts) -

While the Wii U is far from a technical wonder, the lack of creativity is not because there is a lack of modern technology. There many creative and innvotive indie games using current and older technologies. The belief that devs would be more creative with the introduction of new technology is grossly overstated. This is the same misguided belief with regards to Nintendo's various gimmicks. When the Wii was released gamers imagined so many "creative" ways to utilise the controller but devs did not care and did not innovate because of it. The same is going to happen with the Wii U and the tablet controller. Innovation and creativity can be spurred with the current gen. Poorly made games or poorly optimised games are not a sign of lack of creativity. With that said, I am not saying that newer technology doesn't have its advantages but newer technology does not necessarily spur creativity in gaming. History has shown that devs churn out the same old games with new paint when newer systems are released.

#226 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

No clue solid, that sucks. BTW you are the most negative dude on nintendoland. I see your mii wandering around my plaza and the message says Lame. You are such a downer, :p Negativedude indeed.dvader654

lol that was supposed to be a Test message. I didnt know where it was gonna appear.

Still, it's hilarious.

#227 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

Does Nintendo have their own trophy or achievement kind of deal too with the Wii U?

#228 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Does Nintendo have their own trophy or achievement kind of deal too with the Wii U?

Metamania
Nope. Most games do their own system but no universal tracking.
#229 Posted by F1Lengend (7906 posts) -

F*ck! I didnt pick up my other order of Wii U thinking I had a week to pick it up and I just found out that they only hold it for 2 days. here is the thing though, they charged me $25 to reserve it, do I lose that money now?

S0lidSnake
Sounds illegal to me, go get your money back.
#230 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22925 posts) -

so how long is the range on the gamepad?

Will I be able to take it down into the basement and play some NSMB while on the computer?

#231 Posted by GT90 (6256 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

so how long is the range on the gamepad?

Will I be able to take it down into the basement and play some NSMB while on the computer?

[/QUOTE]

The range is supposed to be about 25 to 26 feet away from the console before it cuts out.

#232 Posted by Jbul (4838 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Not to derail this thread but I personally think ACIII looks and plays terrific. It's a new engine and it certainly is pushing the hardware to the max but I haven't encountered an abundance of technical issues and the frame rate seems to maintain a fairly steady 30fps with some dips, which places it on par with previous AC games.

While I certainly think new hardware is a must I'm still very much enjoying what the current HD twins are offering. As per usual, we are getting some of the best software at the end of the hardware cycle and I continue to be amazed at what these systems can deliver.

I like AC3.

From what I've played (to about Chapter 7), Assassin's Creed III to me plays like a game meant for a new generation of technology. I've played every AC game released to completion (and loved them all to varying degrees), and this is the first game where I find myself shaking my head at a different technical issue every time I play (connor getting stuck in walls, characters floating in the middle of the city, audio cutting out during cutscenes, severe and sudden pop in, etc). The content of the game itself is very high quality and the ambition is admirable, but I feel like the development team tried to squeeze too much out of venerable technology. As strange as it sounds, I don't completely blame them for the problems -- history has shown they are incredibly talented developers who very capable of pushing current technology to itss limits. The problem to me is that they didn't have the tech to push their ambitious vision to fruition -- which is why I'd almost held out for the Wii U version (hoping that Nintendo would at least make a machine slightly more capable than a 360 or PS3, and thus run the game better). I mean sh!t, they've had 7 years to construct a better machine.

I guess the Nintendo fan in me (which hasn't been happy since the n64 days) is just sad to see such a great opportunity go to waste in the Wii U. I mean, imagine how cool it would've been to play the definitive versions of games like Mass Effect 3 and Darksiders II on the Wii U. It may still be a decent machine insofar as 1st party software is concerned, but no one should even consider them porting games from the next generation of consoles, with the machines' current specs.

#233 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Join the PC elite Jbul. With a $300 Graphics card, you should be able to run everything at 1080p and 60fps....if you are willing to cut a few corners when it comes to shadows, AA and other detail that no one really notices.

#234 Posted by Jbul (4838 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

CarnageHeart

Weren't you the one who was defending evolving tech a few months ago, saying that games like LBP (with it's physics engine) wouldn't have been capable on last-gen technology, and that progress in that regard was very beneficial to enabling developers to further creativity? :P I may be wrong, but I thought it was you.

I still enjoy games that are coming out late in this generation (XCom as you said is pretty amazing), but like S0lid said, I just want the door to be opened to new IP's, ideas, and experiences -- sooner than later.

#235 Posted by Jbul (4838 posts) -

Join the PC elite Jbul. With a $300 Graphics card, you should be able to run everything at 1080p and 60fps....if you are willing to cut a few corners when it comes to shadows, AA and other detail that no one really notices.

S0lidSnake

I've got a pretty good graphics card, my motherboard is just ancient. :P I've gotten into PC gaming much more in the last year and it's definitely cool, but I still love variety in my gaming diet with the consoles. Still, you're right, if you want cutting edge-tech, PC's are the way to go right now.

Anyway, I'm not going to post anymore about my disappointment with the Wii U's specs. I'm glad people are enjoying it for what it is, and I don't want to pollute the thread with my b!tching any further. :)

#236 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Jbul

Weren't you the one who was defending evolving tech a few months ago, saying that games like LBP (with it's physics engine) wouldn't have been capable on last-gen technology, and that progress in that regard was very beneficial to enabling developers to further creativity? :P I may be wrong, but I thought it was you.

I still enjoy games that are coming out late in this generation (XCom as you said is pretty amazing), but like S0lid said, I just want the door to be opened to new IP's, ideas, and experiences -- sooner than later.

Sounds like me. Bear in mind, my argument isn't that tech can't benefit games, its that it doesn't alter the formulas the lazy/complacent cling to in a meaningful way nor will it force developers to ship polished games (I fear that the trend of developers shipping buggy or even broken games and patching them down the line is here to stay).

The famously conservative Nintendo (in the core arena) isn't going to start pumping out new IPs on the Wii U, they are going to offer familiar games (they are so suspicious of new IPs they commision sequels to commercial failures like Fatal Frame, Xenosaga and Bayonetta than original properties).

I'm sure that developers which are doing interesting things this gen will do previously impossible things next gen. Watchdogs looks very exciting and Media Molecule, the makers of LBP, have stated they are working on an original game which will put incredibly powerful creation tools in the hands of players (no doubt for the PS4).

#237 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

S0lidSnake

My views are rooted in the belief that the devs DO want to try out new things, move on to new franchises instead of doing the same thing over and over again. And history points to a trend where a new generation brings with it new IPs. ND moved from Jak to Uncharted, Bioware introduced Mass Effect and Dragon Age, Sucker Punch Sly to Infamous, Prince of Persia team gave us the awesome and ambitious AC series. Hell, even IW revamped their Call of Duty series, brought it to the modern era and revolutionized for better or worse the online multiplayer arena.

And to me, new IPs mean new possibilities. I doubt ND will make a new IP and have the exact same gameplay as Uncharted. And while I personally would like to see another Uncharted, KIllzone and Infamous on a next gen console. I am pretty certain all these devs will move on to new IPs soon after that.

There are rumors that Guerrilla Games and Sony Santa Monica have split into two teams like ND, and they are both working on new IPs. Sucker Punch is said to be working on something new as well. Media Molecule and ND have already shown their new IPs. I believe I once read a Sony exec say that the reason why they allowed ND to have a second team after Uncharted 2 was because they didnt want to risk losing talent to different studios, and allowed them to do something different inhouse.

I believe that better tech is a rising tide that lifts all boats (level geometry, AI, physics, level destructibility, lighting, etc), but I believe that if you are that unhappy with the current gen you will be unhappy with the next one because this gen is pretty great (as always most games are evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but there is some revolutionary stuff out there).

#238 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I believe that better tech is a rising tide that lifts all boats (level geometry, AI, physics, level destructibility, lighting, etc), but I believe that if you are that unhappy with the current gen you will be unhappy with the next one because this gen is pretty great (as always most games are evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but there is some revolutionary stuff out there).

CarnageHeart

Oh I love this gen. This has been my favorite gen.

I am just tired of playing the third and fourth iterations of this gen's new IPs that introduce absolutely no new elements. Uncharted 3 played exactly like Uncharted 2. Mass Effect 3 played exactly like ME2. Killzone, Halo, Infamous, Call Of Duty, Gears of War, Resistance, Assassin's Creed all have overstayed their welcome.

Now If those franchises above had evolved like say LittleBigPlanet has then I would have no problems. LBP2 was not just an improvement over LBP, it was an evolution of the formula. Motorstorm franchise also evolved with each iteration. Same with Metal Gear Solid. An evolution instead of just a minor improvement.

The rest has all just been so predictable.

#239 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
I am oh the wiiu browser right now as my PS3 Is on. while dmc was downloading i remembered i dont need the tv for wii u. this is so amazing, i went to the estore bought a game, checked messages while playing ps3. Basically you can set up a game on another console and simultaneously use wiiu to videochat with them.
#240 Posted by Pedro (25399 posts) -

I am oh the wiiu browser right now as my PS3 Is on. while dmc was downloading i remembered i dont need the tv for wii u. this is so amazing, i went to the estore bought a game, checked messages while playing ps3. Basically you can set up a game on another console and simultaneously use wiiu to videochat with them.dvader654
Your TV does not have the option to switch to a different source while DMC is downloading?

#241 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]I am oh the wiiu browser right now as my PS3 Is on. while dmc was downloading i remembered i dont need the tv for wii u. this is so amazing, i went to the estore bought a game, checked messages while playing ps3. Basically you can set up a game on another console and simultaneously use wiiu to videochat with them.Pedro

Your TV does not have the option to switch to a different source while DMC is downloading?

lol

#243 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]I am oh the wiiu browser right now as my PS3 Is on. while dmc was downloading i remembered i dont need the tv for wii u. this is so amazing, i went to the estore bought a game, checked messages while playing ps3. Basically you can set up a game on another console and simultaneously use wiiu to videochat with them.Pedro

This is much easier. Watched the Heat game while playing Nano Assault, can the PS3 do that.
#244 Posted by Pedro (25399 posts) -

This is much easier. Watched the Heat game while playing Nano Assault, can the PS3 do that.dvader654
Nope but, I do my game watching and game playing exclusively.

#245 Posted by NodsToNothing (89 posts) -

So does BLOPs and is missing key graphical features. That was to be expected since these games just a rushed port, but still disappointing. I really wanted to play BLOPs and Darksiders on this controller.

S0lidSnake

I haven't played the 360 or PS3 versions yet, but "BLOPS" looks and runs just fine for me on the Wii U. There are some odd framerate glitches that always occur in the same places, but they haven't been a frequent occurence. I don't find that the Wii U gamepad features add much to the gameplay, but support for superior Wii remote + Nunchuk controls was enough to make me choose the Wii U version over the 360 version, even though probably everything else is better optimized on the 360 version. *shrug*

#246 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Wow ZombiU is so good! I just reached what was by far the scariest part of the game, really havent had that kind of fear in a game in a while. Crazy new zombies showed up as well. The survival aspect is nearly unmatched, I have not felt tension and fear of dying like this in quite a while. I would say the Souls games are the closest things but those are more RPG while this is definetly horror.
#247 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
I've been thoroughly enjoying the Wii U since I got it. Nintendo Land was a nice surprise, I thought it'd be boring without multiplayer but it isn't. I've put around 15 hours into Assassin's Creed III on the console and I'm liking it a lot, despite negative fan feedback - and I've been playing Black Ops II online a lot and it works fairly well. Miiverse is probably the biggest surprise. It's awesome. Only disappointment is with third party port rush jobs I guess. They aren't horrible, but it's expected with new hardware. The PS3/360 have been out for 6-7 years, developers are comfortable with those platforms. Considering the Wii U is still a new console, despite similar specifications, developers aren't going to instantly understand how to use the console effectively. It'll take time still.
#248 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I cant believe NintendoLand doesnt have online multiplayer. First Sports Champions 2 with no online and now this? Whats wrong with these people?

#249 Posted by Jbul (4838 posts) -

Got a chance to play the Wii U at length this weekend -- my girlfriend's roommate got one. I have to say, I'm much more impressed than I thought I'd be. I played Super Mario Bros Wii U and Nintendo Land, but spent most of my time on Mario. First off, the controller feels great in my hands. I'm so damn happy to be able to hold a more "traditional" horizontal joystick playing Nintendo games, and controlling Mario with something substantial in my hands felt really good after the awkward, tiny Wii-Remote I used to play New Super Mario Bros Wii on (which cramped my huge hands). The controller is really big but very comfortable, and all the buttons felt nice and responsive, and I never had trouble finding the button I needed after a few minutes of play. The screen in the middle is impressively large -- my only real complaint being it's substantially lower-res than my 1080p TV. Weird move by Nintendo, but probably one to save money (cheap bastards) or battery life. I did enjoy the functionality of it while playing Nintendo Land, though. The thing is really versatile. MiiVerse is pretty great, and such a fun, lighthearted change of face from Xbox Live or PSN. It's really fun to be able to experience something cool in a game and switch over to MiiVerse for a minute and write something about it, then have people respond and relate. (t's like a in-game community, but without the trolls of online forums. Truly great work by Nintendo.

The games themselves were really enjoyable. Mario reminds me quite a bit of Super Mario World, and blows the Wii version of Mario out of the water. The visuals are pretty, sure, but the level design, new powerups (baby Yoshi's and Squirrel Suit), and controls are superb. This is the first 2D Mario game I didn't want to stop playing, even after a few straight hours. Great experience, and people saying that it won't sell systems better lay off the pipe.

Nintendoland was a bit strange at first, but after an hour or two it became enjoyable -- lots of Nintendo charm and cool unlockables. I can only imagine how much fun it'd be playing with some friends (my girlfriend and her roommate were out of town, so I had the Wii U to myself :P). Like Solid has said, it disturbs me that the game requires you to look at the gamepad so much, since the visuals in-game are so vibrant and sharp (contrasted by the fuzzier, darker Gamepad) I realize Nintendo wants people to see the Gamepad's potential, but jesus, let me enjoy the better set of visuals.

So it got me thinking -- after a really fun weekend of Wii U. Maybe this sytem doesn't need really good tech. The experience I had was a great one, so much different than anything I've felt in gaming in a very long time. Perhaps Nintendo can succeed with the system by focusing on the unique features and providing experiences that just can't be offered anywhere else -- and sh!t, just the thought of seeing Metroid in 1080p is almost enough to make me want one myself. I suppose only time will tell.

#250 Posted by Philosopho (86 posts) -
Assassin's Creed 3 crashes my Wii U every five minutes of play time. I assume a title update is likely available, but I have no online at home. So I spent sixty dollars on a busted game. Wonderful.