Official Wii U launch thread! Out Now! Reviews in! 1G update...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

I actually think once the launch window comes and goes the demand for this console will be far less pronounced than people anticipate.

The Wii had a massive casual appeal this system simply doesn't enjoy and while I have no doubt Nintendo will manufacture shortages to make it seem like they can't make the Wii U fast enough I just don't see it being that hard to come by once the hype settles.

The only way I'd even consider getting one is if Gamestop offered some obscene trade-in offer for the Wii that significantly offset the price of the new hardware.

Even then, I might pass because I'm currently indifferent to the console and its offerings.

Shame-usBlackley

I'm in the same boat. I just fundamentally differ with Nintendo regarding how gaming should go, and what their role should be as a steward of it. But most importantly, there's nothing on it that I really want to play that I can't get somewhere else besides the new Mario game, and the days of me buying Nintendo consoles for one title are over.

Exactly.

My purchase of the Wii was almost perfunctory and I'm done making those types of purchases.

I also couldn't agree more with your assessment of Nintendo's current direction. I really wanted and needed the Wii U to be more than a slightly more powerful PS3/360 with a tablet and yet that is precisely what is being delivered.

My instincts told me to part ways with Nintendo back when the Wii launched and looking back I should have trusted my gut because I really didn't need the system considering how many phenomenal experiences the HD Twins delivered.

I also have this nagging suspicion that the Wii U might be the same type of stumbling block the N64 was back in the 1990's: a miscalculation that sends Nintendo rocketing back to the bottom of the console market.

#53 Posted by c_rakestraw (14721 posts) -

I also have this nagging suspicion that the Wii U might be the same type of stumbling block the N64 was back in the 1990's: a miscalculation that sends Nintendo rocketing back to the bottom of the console market.Grammaton-Cleric

I think it'll be like another GameCube: successful enough to sustain them, but enough of a "failure" to make them reevaluate their approach.

#54 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18523 posts) -
I also have this nagging suspicion that the Wii U might be the same type of stumbling block the N64 was back in the 1990's: a miscalculation that sends Nintendo rocketing back to the bottom of the console market.Grammaton-Cleric
The bottom of the mid-late 90s gaming barrel was steadily occupied by the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast. The Nintendo 64 fared really well in comparison.
#55 Posted by Gamertag-TFTW (2233 posts) -
[QUOTE="yellosnolvr"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

You missed the key part of my post....

Black_Knight_00
guy named solidsnake, who seems to be a very avid ps3 player. seems like a well balanced, level-minded guy

He's not blowing $500+ on a Wii U+games. I call that balanced and level-minded

#56 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Saw a Mario U trailer in front of the excellent Wreck-it Ralph. *Shrugs* Its been two decades since I've cared about Mario, so the trailer did nothing for me, but here it is.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/02/revealing-wii-us-new-super-mario-bros-u-ad?abthid=509447e179ff66a878000093

#57 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Saw a Mario U trailer in front of the excellent Wreck-it Ralph. *Shrugs* Its been two decades since I've cared about Mario, so the trailer did nothing for me, but here it is.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/02/revealing-wii-us-new-super-mario-bros-u-ad?abthid=509447e179ff66a878000093

CarnageHeart
Thats a great idea by Nintendo getting that in front of Wreck-it-ralph.
#58 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

CarnageHeart

Yeah, I saw that too. Know what I did after I saw that? I preordered a Neo Geo X.

:)

#59 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

dvader654

Thats a great idea by Nintendo getting that in front of Wreck-it-ralph.

Sony had the same bright idea. The trailer is cool, but tragically devoid of gameplay footage. Most ads have always been non-gameplay, but given how great modern games look, its a bit disappointing that the balance hasn't shifted towards gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPRXZiffNAQ

#60 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Shame-usBlackley

Yeah, I saw that too. Know what I did after I saw that? I preordered a Neo Geo X.

That's an interesting looking handheld. It probably won't take it very long for it to catch up with the Vita in sales :P.

#61 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

That's an interesting looking handheld. It probably won't take it very long for it to catch up with the Vita in sales :P.

Oh, it's totally dead on arrival...

But dude, it's a portable NEO GEO that also can be played on the big screen at home!!!

How can I not pick up such a thing?

#62 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]I also have this nagging suspicion that the Wii U might be the same type of stumbling block the N64 was back in the 1990's: a miscalculation that sends Nintendo rocketing back to the bottom of the console market.Black_Knight_00
The bottom of the mid-late 90s gaming barrel was steadily occupied by the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast. The Nintendo 64 fared really well in comparison.

In terms of sales definitely (though the PSONE curbed stomped the N64 by a huge margin) but having owned both the Saturn and Dreamcast I'd assert both systems had better libraries overall.

#63 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]I also have this nagging suspicion that the Wii U might be the same type of stumbling block the N64 was back in the 1990's: a miscalculation that sends Nintendo rocketing back to the bottom of the console market.Grammaton-Cleric

In terms of sales definitely (though the PSONE curbed stomped the N64 by a huge margin) but having owned both the Saturn and Dreamcast I'd assert both systems had better libraries overall.

I never had an N64 but I would argue the N64 had many games you could consider to be near the top of any greatest games of all time plus some of the most influential video games of all time. Saturn and DC as much as I love them did not.

In reality its all been the same thing since N64 for Nintendo consoles, average library with some masterpieces from Nintendo and maybe one or two third parties. The only reason to buy these systems is for those few games.

#64 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] The bottom of the mid-late 90s gaming barrel was steadily occupied by the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast. The Nintendo 64 fared really well in comparison.dvader654

I never had an N64 but I would argue the N64 had many games you could consider to be near the top of any greatest games of all time plus some of the most influential video games of all time. Saturn and DC as much as I love them did not.

In reality its all been the same thing since N64 for Nintendo consoles, average library with some masterpieces from Nintendo and maybe one or two third parties. The only reason to buy these systems is for those few games.

You have a point but at the same time I'd argue both the Saturn and Dreamcast (the DC especially) offered far more quality games on a consistent basis.

The N64 would literally go months without a decent game and then would eventually get something that was top tier and even genre defining but in between the wait was epically laborious.

The N64 also suffered from a dearth of certain genres and this issue has continued to plague subsequent Nintendo systems.

Personally I'm done buying Nintendo consoles for those few games you mention. They can either create a viable and competitive library of software or I'll happily stick with their competitors. I simply don't give a sh** for Mario and Zelda enough to waste my money or energy on a third-tier system again and in my opinion the last three consoles have been just that.

We'll see how the Wii U plays out but thus far I am underwhelmed.

#65 Posted by Namgis (3585 posts) -

It's a slick looking console, but I really dislike the game box art. The bright blue banner takes up far too much space. Other than that, I'm looking forward to see what they've got up their sleeves. Personally, my home will be a one console domicile in the future. And the WiiU is not it. I'm rooting for Ninty though. Maybe they'll surprise me and force me to buy the console.

#66 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]I also have this nagging suspicion that the Wii U might be the same type of stumbling block the N64 was back in the 1990's: a miscalculation that sends Nintendo rocketing back to the bottom of the console market.Grammaton-Cleric

between all the classics that nintendo and Rareware cranked out you'd be wrong in that assessment
#67 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] The bottom of the mid-late 90s gaming barrel was steadily occupied by the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast. The Nintendo 64 fared really well in comparison.Shinobishyguy

between all the classics that nintendo and Rareware cranked out you'd be wrong in that assessment

Given that I actually owned all of these systems during their original cycles I'm unimpressed with your defense of the N64, which was mostly a failure that enjoyed the OCCASIONAL gem but was inundated with mediocre software and suffered from a dearth in genre variety.

Both the Saturn and the Dreamcast enjoyed solid third party support and benefited directly from SEGA's own internal development studios, including AM2. The Dreamcast in particular received a ridiculous amount of fantastic software, including pixel-perfect ports of various arcade fighters and plenty of original software that never saw light on other consoles.

And unlike the N64, these games came out at a steady pace.

The N64 had some classics but they were few and far between and what was left was banal filler.

#68 Posted by c_rakestraw (14721 posts) -

You have a point but at the same time I'd argue both the Saturn and Dreamcast (the DC especially) offered far more quality games on a consistent basis.Grammaton-Cleric

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Saturn suffer from a dearth of software for the greater part of its lifecycle, at least outside Japan? Could have sworn I heard that somewhere.

#69 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]You have a point but at the same time I'd argue both the Saturn and Dreamcast (the DC especially) offered far more quality games on a consistent basis.c_rake

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Saturn suffer from a dearth of software for the greater part of its lifecycle, at least outside Japan? Could have sworn I heard that somewhere.

The Saturn's problem was that because SEGA pulled a stealth launch several months early that favored specific retailers, some chains refused to sell their games or the console.

The system actually enjoyed a pretty healthy influx of software until it faltered, including some truly excellent AM2 and arcade offerings. Support for the system was nowhere as copious as it was for the PSONE but overall I'd venture to state that it enjoyed a more consistent stream of quality software than the N64. (Until it perished prematurely that is)

Remember, the N64 launched with TWO games. That system was born needing software support.

#70 Posted by c_rakestraw (14721 posts) -

The Saturn's problem was that because SEGA pulled a stealth launch several months early that favored specific retailers, some chains refused to sell their games or the console.

The system actually enjoyed a pretty healthy influx of software until it faltered, including some truly excellent AM2 and arcade offerings. Support for the system was nowhere as copious as it was for the PSONE but overall I'd venture to state that it enjoyed a more consistent stream of quality software than the N64. (Until it perished prematurely that is)

Grammaton-Cleric

Ah, that's what happened. Knew it was something to do with that early launch.

Remember, the N64 launched with TWO games. That system was born needing software support.Grammaton-Cleric

Yeah... that was beyond pitiful. If it weren't the system launching with a Mario game, it probably would have put Nintendo in some serious trouble.

#71 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I held the controller at Walmart and played around for a bit.

First impression was that it was very light, waliking the line between cheap and well made. Second thoughts were that it is not ergonomic in any way, most prominently in the triggers + bumpers position while also trying to use the sticks. Triggers alone its okay, once you have to press a bumper its awkward as hell.

I put on Rayman and the graphics were decent but the touchscreen had nothing going on, just the level select. The screen itself was okay for menus and the like but during actual gameplay its subpar imo. If I was ever really into a game and had to switch to the controller to play, I would just wait until the tv is available again. I'll try and play a different game next time but I doubt I'll pick one up at launch based on my short impressions.

#72 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

First impression was that it was very light, waliking the line between cheap and well made. Second thoughts were that it is not ergonomic in any way, most prominently in the triggers + bumpers position while also trying to use the sticks. Triggers alone its okay, once you have to press a bumper its awkward as hell.

I put on Rayman and the graphics were decent but the touchscreen had nothing going on, just the level select. The screen itself was okay for menus and the like but during actual gameplay its subpar imo. If I was ever really into a game and had to switch to the controller to play, I would just wait until the tv is available again. I'll try and play a different game next time but I doubt I'll pick one up at launch based on my short impressions.

F1Lengend
We need more impressions like this. Did you not play the level on the demo that is played with the touch screen?
#73 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]

dvader654

We need more impressions like this. Did you not play the level on the demo that is played with the touch screen?

I didn't have time, friends were rushing me out of the store. I tried running around for a few seconds with Rayman but the touchscreen remained static. So I'll give it a better attempt next time.

I was thinking about different genres while holding the controller and while the dpad felt good, trying to play a fighting game with this thing would also be awkward I think because of the distance between your hands. Maybe games using the dpad predominately would be as well but thats speculation on my part. I really didn't get the best hands on with it so this is a knee jerk conclusion.

#74 Posted by c_rakestraw (14721 posts) -

I was thinking about different genres while holding the controller and while the dpad felt good, trying to play a fighting game with this thing would also be awkward I think because of the distance between your hands. Maybe games using the dpad predominately would be as well but thats speculation on my part. I really didn't get the best hands on with it so this is a knee jerk conclusion.F1Lengend

I assume that's what the Pro Controller is for. Lot more conventional in design than the tablet.

#75 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Yeah... that was beyond pitiful. If it weren't the system launching with a Mario game, it probably would have put Nintendo in some serious trouble.

c_rake

Mario 64 was such a ground-breaking game that it essentially carried the system for months. Even some of the hotly anticipated games like Turok and Shadows of the Empire ended up being relatively mediocre but Mario 64 kept chugging away because, at the time, the game was practically peerless in what it delivered.

#76 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]I was thinking about different genres while holding the controller and while the dpad felt good, trying to play a fighting game with this thing would also be awkward I think because of the distance between your hands. Maybe games using the dpad predominately would be as well but thats speculation on my part. I really didn't get the best hands on with it so this is a knee jerk conclusion.c_rake

I assume that's what the Pro Controller is for. Lot more conventional in design than the tablet.

Yeah absolutely but I mean, how much are people going to spend on accessories for this thing? Thats another problem and there is also the nunchucks and wiimotes that are probably(?) going to be used as well.
#77 Posted by c_rakestraw (14721 posts) -

Mario 64 was such a ground-breaking game that it essentially carried the system for months. Even some of the hotly anticipated games like Turok and Shadows of the Empire ended up being relatively mediocre but Mario 64 kept chugging away because, at the time, the game was practically peerless in what it delivered.Grammaton-Cleric

Precisely my point. They did really well getting that one game out at launch. It practically got the Nintendo 64 off the ground and sustained it until the next big Nintendo game (Ocarina of Time, I guess?) arrived to continue keeping the console alive and well. An ingenius move, for sure.

Yeah absolutely but I mean, how much are people going to spend on accessories for this thing? Thats another problem and there is also the nunchucks and wiimotes that are probably(?) going to be used as well. F1Lengend

Better question is, how often will all the accessories be used? The Wii had a good number of them (the balance board, the motion plus, the steering wheel and rifle housings, etc.), yet only a few ever saw regular use, small as that was even then.

#78 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]You have a point but at the same time I'd argue both the Saturn and Dreamcast (the DC especially) offered far more quality games on a consistent basis.Grammaton-Cleric

Remember, the N64 launched with TWO games. That system was born needing software support.

I remember things differently. I was a Saturn only guy at the time who thought Sega's (and third party) support of the Saturn was abysmal. One had to resort to importing to play many of the few quality games it had.

To add insult to injury Sega started talking up the Dreamcast two years after the Saturn launched and then began a deliberate strategy of starving American Saturn gamers in order to create an appetite for Dreamcast.

Chances of finding a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga (a game that as an rpg fan and a PD fan, I would have loved to play) were slightly better then winning the lotto.

#79 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

I remember things differently. I was a Saturn only guy at the time who thought Sega's (and third party) support of the Saturn was abysmal. One had to resort to importing to play many of the few quality games it had.

To add insult to injury Sega started talking up the Dreamcast two years after the Saturn launched and then began a deliberate strategy of starving American Saturn gamers in order to create an appetite for Dreamcast.

Chances of finding a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga (a game that as an rpg fan and a PD fan, I would have loved to play) were slightly better then winning the lotto.

CarnageHeart

I think it's somewhat relative but for the short time the system enjoyed support it seemed to me that it fared better than the N64 in terms of enjoying a steady trickle of quality software.

To be fair many of the Saturn's best offerings were fighters but the system actually handled 2D sprite processing better than the PS1 and received some excellent ports of SNK fighters and games like X-Men: Children of the Atom.

SEGA's internal studios released games like VF2, Fighting Vipers, and the excellent Fighter's Megamix, along with games like Virtua Cop 2, Die Hard Arcade, and Nights.

That said, the support waned quickly and SEGA basically put the Saturn down like a busted-up race horse.

There are so many variables and oddities as it relates to the launch and short lifespan of the Saturn that it becomes difficult to even gauge the console with a traditional metric.

#80 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
There is a major Nintendo direct right now talking about the online features. There is one Nintendo I'd used for all games. There is a bunch of stuff but I am on a phone so it's hard to link it.
#81 Posted by Metamania (12018 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Grammaton-Cleric

I think it's somewhat relative but for the short time the system enjoyed support it seemed to me that it fared better than the N64 in terms of enjoying a steady trickle of quality software.

To be fair many of the Saturn's best offerings were fighters but the system actually handled 2D sprite processing better than the PS1 and received some excellent ports of SNK fighters and games like X-Men: Children of the Atom.

SEGA's internal studios released games like VF2, Fighting Vipers, and the excellent Fighter's Megamix, along with games like Virtua Cop 2, Die Hard Arcade, and Nights.

That said, the support waned quickly and SEGA basically put the Saturn down like a busted-up race horse.

There are so many variables and oddities as it relates to the launch and short lifespan of the Saturn that it becomes difficult to even gauge the console with a traditional metric.

The Saturn is a decent system. I just think it failed because they rushed on it.

#82 Posted by Vickman178 (1035 posts) -

(Originally made a thread for this post but it got locked)

Ok first of all to debunk some things people are saying about it the triggers on the controller are NOT digital, they are indeed analog no doubt about, there more like trigger shaped buttons then actual triggers but still they are not digital, in fact none of the buttons on the controller are digital which is great because I hate digital button's especially D-Pads.

As for comfort, i'm going to be honest it felt a little weird at first, it doesn't quite feel like any controller i've used before (and i've used a lot of controllers for multiple consoles) I didn't have any problems with the button layout, in fact I think it has a really good set up, because the controller is so big you can't really tell that the buttons are below the analog sticks while playing. There is also a lot of room for your hands to adjust. It was also very light just be sure that you don't stand to far from the demo station because the wire they have hooked up to the gamepad is very tight and might make it seem unconfortable so be careful!

The screen itself is super responsive and clear, it was showcasing several of the launch titles and I could swipe through and look at all the titles, everything ran really smoothly. Not much else it say about it, its a screen and it works and looks great!

As for games, the only one I could play was Rayman Legends which to be honest I wasn't too excited for.It never seemed like a game that really interested me even Rayman Origins. But after playing it I have got to say I was extremely impressed! The game looks AMAZING! No videos that I have seen online do it any justice you have to see it in person! Not only that but I played it and it was extremely fun! The few minutes I had with the game made me want to buy it day one! Really impressed i'm seriously considering getting it when it comes out!

And last but not least the console itself...Its pretty much as long as people describe it! Its about the same width as a Wii but extremely long. I don't care for the design all that much but oh well it does its job I guess!

All in all, this experience as quadroubled my hype level. I honestly can't wait to get my hands on it when it comes out! I couldn't really find anything to pick on. Other then the odd design of the system itself the controller feels great and the Rayman looked amazing and I can't wait to try more of its games! Can't wait for the 18th!

#83 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Seems like you can web chat while in game, that is pretty awesome. You can pause a game and go on the internet as well.
#84 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -

new super mario bros. U is looking awesome.

Dat huge world map and all those new gameplay modes

#85 Posted by Bigboi500 (30082 posts) -

(Originally made a thread for this post but it got locked)

Ok first of all to debunk some things people are saying about it the triggers on the controller are NOT digital, they are indeed analog no doubt about, there more like trigger shaped buttons then actual triggers but still they are not digital, in fact none of the buttons on the controller are digital which is great because I hate digital button's especially D-Pads.

As for comfort, i'm going to be honest it felt a little weird at first, it doesn't quite feel like any controller i've used before (and i've used a lot of controllers for multiple consoles) I didn't have any problems with the button layout, in fact I think it has a really good set up, because the controller is so big you can't really tell that the buttons are below the analog sticks while playing. There is also a lot of room for your hands to adjust. It was also very light just be sure that you don't stand to far from the demo station because the wire they have hooked up to the gamepad is very tight and might make it seem unconfortable so be careful!

The screen itself is super responsive and clear, it was showcasing several of the launch titles and I could swipe through and look at all the titles, everything ran really smoothly. Not much else it say about it, its a screen and it works and looks great!

As for games, the only one I could play was Rayman Legends which to be honest I wasn't too excited for.It never seemed like a game that really interested me even Rayman Origins. But after playing it I have got to say I was extremely impressed! The game looks AMAZING! No videos that I have seen online do it any justice you have to see it in person! Not only that but I played it and it was extremely fun! The few minutes I had with the game made me want to buy it day one! Really impressed i'm seriously considering getting it when it comes out!

And last but not least the console itself...Its pretty much as long as people describe it! Its about the same width as a Wii but extremely long. I don't care for the design all that much but oh well it does its job I guess!

All in all, this experience as quadroubled my hype level. I honestly can't wait to get my hands on it when it comes out! I couldn't really find anything to pick on. Other then the odd design of the system itself the controller feels great and the Rayman looked amazing and I can't wait to try more of its games! Can't wait for the 18th!

Vickman178

I messed around with one today at Gamestop (had to exchange my bricked Vita for a new one) and it's just as you said, Rayman Origins was beautiful, and the controller was amazingly light and comfortable. I like how the Zl and Zr buttons are on another level apart from the L and R buttons.

I'm still going to wait until next year to pick one up when there's a better selection of games to buy, but overall I was very pleased with the system as a whole.

#86 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Loads of previews up around the web. This one from IGNhttp://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/07/i-spent-the-night-with-wii-u

I found this to be awesome:

As many of us know, setting up a universal remote is usually a nightmare of inputting long codes until you finally stumble upon the one that works. With Wii U, all you have to do is select your boxs manufacturer (which is likely emblazoned just under the screen) and the system will automatically do the rest. Both times Ive gone through this process, the Wii U synced perfectly with my television on the first try, and within a matter of seconds. After just a few moments and a few taps, I was able to adjust the volume and channels and change the input right from my GamePad, as well as power on and off both the system and my television.I very much enjoyed using the tablet controller in this way, more so than I thought I would. Who thought upping the volume on your TV could be so exciting?

#87 Posted by JoGoSo (455 posts) -
I actually think once the launch window comes and goes the demand for this console will be far less pronounced than people anticipate.

The Wii had a massive casual appeal this system simply doesn't enjoy and while I have no doubt Nintendo will manufacture shortages to make it seem like they can't make the Wii U fast enough I just don't see it being that hard to come by once the hype settles.

The only way I'd even consider getting one is if Gamestop offered some obscene trade-in offer for the Wii that significantly offset the price of the new hardware.

Even then, I might pass because I'm currently indifferent to the console and its offerings.

Grammaton-Cleric
It really hard to fake demand and shortages. The factory orders are premade and they do not stop n a dime. It takes months for a shift. Plus shortages cost money & Nintendo like money more than hype. Nintendo will ship per their projections and hope demand meets them. I do think that Nintendo is quick at adjusting the price once demand slacks if the handhelds are an example. I would actually buy this console at launch if it were available. I'll get one if I catch one out in the wild. Otherwise, I'm hoping hype dies down and it folllows a similar pattern as 3DS and the price comes down within 6 months.
#88 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

It really hard to fake demand and shortages. The factory orders are premade and they do not stop n a dime. It takes months for a shift. Plus shortages cost money & Nintendo like money more than hype. Nintendo will ship per their projections and hope demand meets them. I do think that Nintendo is quick at adjusting the price once demand slacks if the handhelds are an example. I would actually buy this console at launch if it were available. I'll get one if I catch one out in the wild. Otherwise, I'm hoping hype dies down and it folllows a similar pattern as 3DS and the price comes down within 6 months.

JoGoSo

Manufacturing false shortages has nothing to do with factory output.

Nintendo has full control of their inventory and can do with it as they like. They can stockpile systems and then trickle inventory to retailers in hopes of generating a fervor propelled by consumers wanting something they can't readily nab with ease.

Now I'm not saying that is definitely going to happen but such tactics have been employed before because there is a powerful psychological component at work when something is seen as rare or special, prompting people to want it merely because of the perceived rarity.

And that psychological component is multiplied exponentially by the holiday buying season.

#89 Posted by JoGoSo (455 posts) -

[QUOTE="JoGoSo"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Manufacturing false shortages has nothing to do with factory output.

Nintendo has full control of their inventory and can do with it as they like. They can stockpile systems and then trickle inventory to retailers in hopes of generating a fervor propelled by consumers wanting something they can't readily nab with ease.

Now I'm not saying that is definitely going to happen but such tactics have been employed before because there is a powerful psychological component at work when something is seen as rare or special, prompting people to want it merely because of the perceived rarity.

And that psychological component is multiplied exponentially by the holiday buying season.

It doesn't work like that. A company can only stockpile if they keep a lot of warehouses. How many stories have you heard of Nintendo intentionally stockpiling inventory? It sure didn't happen with the Wii, Gamecube, 3DS, or DS. No company does it because it's bad business and a bad sign. Think about it, the only tech company capable of faking a shortage is possibly Apple and yet they don't do it. Why? Because an unmade product does not make money. A warehoused product does not make money. Further you run the risk that the first wave of demand fades away never to come back. Finally the more you sell up front , the cheaper the next round is to manufacture. It makes no sense to fake a shortage whether you are the market leader or lagger. Nintendo is no Apple and their products have a finicky base even among gamers. It is possible that Nintendo started production late intentionally, but even that it would be a stupid business move. Creating shortages does not help revenue or profits in a fixed priced system. Game consoles are not gold and do not increase in value. The price stays the same until it goes down. It only depreciates. The only ones that have that strong of a psychological attachment are hardcome gamers...Maybe. The normal person in the market (The ones that truly matter) are going to substitute a product or at least there is the risk of that.
#90 Posted by meetroid8 (21140 posts) -
I don't think I've ever been this apathetic about a Nintendo console. I just can't seem to get excited. There's just not much in the line up worth buying a new console for.
#91 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
One week to go. Yay. Anyone, hello?
#92 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -
One week to go. Yay. Anyone, hello?dvader654
#93 Posted by c_rakestraw (14721 posts) -

One week to go. Yay. Anyone, hello?dvader654

I'd be more excited for it if I had the cash for one. Gonna be a while before I can get one, probably.

#94 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I got to 'hold' the tablet in Bestbuy yesterday. Like others have said, it feels light and above all very comfortable. It's very different than any other controller out there and well that alone makes it stand apart from everything else.

Sadly, the setup wasnt working because apparently someone broke the console. I still dont have any games that I am looking forward to playing on this console but I might keep one of the two I preordered just so I can catch up on the GC and Wii games I missed out on.

#95 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6235 posts) -
My main concern with the Wii U (just like the Wii), is that it's too focused on family/MP gaming. As a SP gamer, from what I've seen so far, it doesn't really get me excited. Nearly every video I've seen is mainly about playing with other people, which is great for families etc, but not for gamers like me. I'll reserve judgement until I see reviews of it and see what other games are released, but until then, I'm not sure.
#96 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -
I would be more excited if I actually had a preorder and wasn't on the wait list. Lord knows how hard it's gonna be to get one this holiday.
#97 Posted by Archangel3371 (15743 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]One week to go. Yay. Anyone, hello?c_rake

I'd be more excited for it if I had the cash for one. Gonna be a while before I can get one, probably.

Same here. I think it'll be a pretty cool system and I look forward to getting one a little later on so I'd naturally be more hyped if I was getting one at launch.
#98 Posted by Metamania (12018 posts) -

IGN reviews Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for the Wii U!

#99 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

IGN reviews Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for the Wii U!

Metamania
Destructoid says it is still terrible. IGN says the gamepad doesnt work well with this kind of action game. That sucks.
#100 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
That controller is going to be this systems curse.