Official Wii U launch thread! Out Now! Reviews in! 1G update...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by o0squishy0o (2785 posts) -
[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]One week to go. Yay. Anyone, hello?Archangel3371

I'd be more excited for it if I had the cash for one. Gonna be a while before I can get one, probably.

Same here. I think it'll be a pretty cool system and I look forward to getting one a little later on so I'd naturally be more hyped if I was getting one at launch.

Two quotes to prove the point on why next gen systems wont be massively poweful beasts that cost anything above £350 at most.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
#102 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="JoGoSo"]

It really hard to fake demand and shortages. The factory orders are premade and they do not stop n a dime. It takes months for a shift. Plus shortages cost money & Nintendo like money more than hype. Nintendo will ship per their projections and hope demand meets them. I do think that Nintendo is quick at adjusting the price once demand slacks if the handhelds are an example. I would actually buy this console at launch if it were available. I'll get one if I catch one out in the wild. Otherwise, I'm hoping hype dies down and it folllows a similar pattern as 3DS and the price comes down within 6 months.

JoGoSo

Manufacturing false shortages has nothing to do with factory output.

Nintendo has full control of their inventory and can do with it as they like. They can stockpile systems and then trickle inventory to retailers in hopes of generating a fervor propelled by consumers wanting something they can't readily nab with ease.

Now I'm not saying that is definitely going to happen but such tactics have been employed before because there is a powerful psychological component at work when something is seen as rare or special, prompting people to want it merely because of the perceived rarity.

And that psychological component is multiplied exponentially by the holiday buying season.

It doesn't work like that. A company can only stockpile if they keep a lot of warehouses. How many stories have you heard of Nintendo intentionally stockpiling inventory? It sure didn't happen with the Wii, Gamecube, 3DS, or DS. No company does it because it's bad business and a bad sign. Think about it, the only tech company capable of faking a shortage is possibly Apple and yet they don't do it. Why? Because an unmade product does not make money. A warehoused product does not make money. Further you run the risk that the first wave of demand fades away never to come back. Finally the more you sell up front , the cheaper the next round is to manufacture. It makes no sense to fake a shortage whether you are the market leader or lagger. Nintendo is no Apple and their products have a finicky base even among gamers. It is possible that Nintendo started production late intentionally, but even that it would be a stupid business move. Creating shortages does not help revenue or profits in a fixed priced system. Game consoles are not gold and do not increase in value. The price stays the same until it goes down. It only depreciates. The only ones that have that strong of a psychological attachment are hardcome gamers...Maybe. The normal person in the market (The ones that truly matter) are going to substitute a product or at least there is the risk of that.

You clearly misunderstand the entire context of the issue.

No company is going to openly admit that they are manufacturing false shortages to increase customer fervor, thus it would be illogical for such stockpiles, however large, to be publically reported.

The very practice is rooted in duplicity and misdirection and despite your claim to the contrary, such tactics are widely employed by companies to manufacture an artificial atmosphere of frothing consumer demand. The strategy simply requires them to allocate product in such a way as to appear that demand exceeds supply and along with slowing manufacturing and stockpiling they can also use retail distributors as cohorts, requesting that they only release hardware allotments at certain times.

You also apply a very linear and puerile logic when denoting how profits are generated, failing to grasp the fact that such false demand strategies over a protracted timeline can generate a higher sales volume. By creating a false or bloated sense of demand, Nintendo could, theoretically, keep the Wii U a front page commodity throughout the holiday season and beyond.

You are also incorrect in your postulation that the repeated manufacturing of goods automatically lowers the price of making said goods. As it relates to technology, the manufacturing cost of the Wii U will not decrease until the price of the components within the architecture of the system becomes cheaper or Nintendo makes some manner of change to their manufacturing process. (i.e. cheaper labor) Your timeline for reduced manufacturing costs is simply too brief and unrealistic to be taken seriously.

Also, you mention past consoles as proof that my supposition is incorrect yet what I find interesting is that, over the last decade, almost every console released has suffered from some manner of shortage, which begs the question:

Is every console manufacturer so incompetent that they cannot meet the initial demand of their product?

I seriously doubt it.

Again, I'm merely speculating that such a shortage could be manufactured by Nintendo, not that it will certainly occur. However, the notion that this type of strategy isn't widely and continuously implemented seems grossly naïve, especially considering that the 'hard to get' product has been a mainstay of the holiday buying season for decades.

And there is nothing finicky about Nintendo's fan base: they buy Nintendo products and support Nintendo with the same zealousness that Apple enjoys, albeit on a smaller scale.

#103 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"][QUOTE="c_rake"]

I'd be more excited for it if I had the cash for one. Gonna be a while before I can get one, probably.

o0squishy0o

Same here. I think it'll be a pretty cool system and I look forward to getting one a little later on so I'd naturally be more hyped if I was getting one at launch.

Two quotes to prove the point on why next gen systems wont be massively poweful beasts that cost anything above £350 at most.

Selective sampling doesn't prove much of anything but even assuming your theory holds true, bear in mind that the Wii U Tablet represents about half the cost of the system.

Sony and MS could release consoles priced at 350-400 that would absolutely crush current consoles (the Wii U included) in terms of power.

#104 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

IGN reviews Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for the Wii U!

dvader654

Destructoid says it is still terrible. IGN says the gamepad doesnt work well with this kind of action game. That sucks.

IGN also stated the game looks worse than the PS3 and XB360 versions.

I have a feeling the Wii U will, at best, be on par with the current systems and all this talk of superior ports will evaporate rapidly.

However, I am curious to see how ACIII looks on the system.

#105 Posted by c_rakestraw (14867 posts) -

However, I am curious to see how ACIII looks on the system.Grammaton-Cleric

The E3 build looked good. A touch choppy in spots (frame rate seemed a bit inconsistent), but it was unfinished code, so... I didn't have the other versions to compare it to, of course, since they weren't on the show floor, but I'd expect it to be at least on par with the others.

#106 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

IGN reviews Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for the Wii U!

Grammaton-Cleric

Destructoid says it is still terrible. IGN says the gamepad doesnt work well with this kind of action game. That sucks.

I have a feeling the Wii U will, at best, be on par with the current systems and all this talk of superior ports will evaporate rapidly.

I dont think it's fair to assess a console's power by looking at launch games. Especially third party ports that were likely rushed to meet the launch window. Im playing Halo 4 right now and it destroys games like Resistance and Perfect Dark Zero.

We know it's not a next gen console, but we do know it's more powerful than the current gen consoles due to the 2GB of RAM alone. The GPU is definitely better than the ones found in PS360.

#107 Posted by F1Lengend (7906 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"] Destructoid says it is still terrible. IGN says the gamepad doesnt work well with this kind of action game. That sucks.S0lidSnake

I dont think it's fair to assess a console's power by looking at launch games. Especially third party ports that were likely rushed to meet the launch window. Im playing Halo 4 right now and it destroys games like Resistance and Perfect Dark Zero.

We know it's not a next gen console, but we do know it's more powerful than the current gen consoles due to the 2GB of RAM alone. The GPU is definitely better than the ones found in PS360.

I don't follow that logic with regards to launch game comparisons. Even if its the exact same hardware as current gen, you would expect the advancements in programming over the years to carry over to the Wii U, especially from third parties like Ubisoft and Team Ninja. The world didnt suddenly forget how to make good graphics on aging hardware.
#108 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

S0lidSnake

Actually, we don't know that.

Some developers have stated that the system does some things better and other things worse.

By all accounts, we probably aren't going to see any huge graphical advantages save some slightly better frame rates and resolutions.

#109 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I don't follow that logic with regards to launch game comparisons. Even if its the exact same hardware as current gen, you would expect the advancements in programming over the years to carry over to the Wii U, especially from third parties like Ubisoft and Team Ninja. The world didnt suddenly forget how to make good graphics on aging hardware. F1Lengend

Every console hardware is different. The gaming engine Naughty Dog has created with the Cell/RSX architecture over the course of the past 7 years wouldnt help them much when working with the completely different architecture of the Wii U. They would have to develop a new engine that takes full advantage of the Wii U hardware.

Would the programming techniques they've learned over the past few years help them do a quick port? Sure. They arnet starting from scratch after all. But that doesnt mean they will be taking full advantage of the hardware.

If you think that AC4 wont look better than AC3 on the Wii U then lets have this conversation again when AC4 comes out.

#110 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
I'm thinking about snagging one at Sears or Fred Meyer on Sunday morning and heading to eBay with it. We'll see. I know I want one eventually, but right now, I'm more interested in scalping it.
#111 Posted by Archangel3371 (20267 posts) -
[QUOTE="Archangel3371"][QUOTE="c_rake"]

o0squishy0o

Well for me I could have gotten one but there's been recent games that I wanted to get more ie. Halo 4 and Black Ops 2. So it's not so much the price but a combination of how much I want it over other things currently available. In that respect if the PS4 or 720 come out more expensive then that won't necessarily be an indicator of when I buy one.
#112 Posted by Allicrombie (26185 posts) -
That controller is going to be this systems curse.GodModeEnabled
I'd still like to see it optimized for some dungeon crawling.
#113 Posted by Allicrombie (26185 posts) -
I'm thinking about snagging one at Sears or Fred Meyer on Sunday morning and heading to eBay with it. We'll see. I know I want one eventually, but right now, I'm more interested in scalping it.rragnaar
that's smart, thing is sold out everywhere online, you could probably make some easy monies.
#114 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I'm thinking about snagging one at Sears or Fred Meyer on Sunday morning and heading to eBay with it. We'll see. I know I want one eventually, but right now, I'm more interested in scalping it.Allicrombie
that's smart, thing is sold out everywhere online, you could probably make some easy monies.

That's the idea. I want a new PC badly and don't quite have the money for it.
#115 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22925 posts) -

I'm guessing Ninja gaiden looking slightly worse is a result of the game having more action on screen compared to the ps3/360 versions.

#116 Posted by JoGoSo (441 posts) -

The big issue is whether they will have them. All the stores are supposed to hold back some supply for launch day walk-ins, but apparently aren't required to. I think I'll be OK getting on at midnight at Walmart. Best Buy was too wishy washy & I don't quite trust Gamestop.

#117 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Reviews coming in for NSMBU:

IGN - 9.1
Kotaku - Yes
Polygon - 8.5
Destructoid - 8.5
Venturebeat - 83/100
Joystiq - 4.5/5
1Up - B+

NintendoLand reviews:

IGN- 8.7/10

Originally Posted byIGN:Nintendo Land is a brilliant show of what Nintendos new console and tablet controller are capable of, and has far more depth and content then youd expect from a mini-game collection. The attractions are ridiculously fun and offer plenty of variety, whether youre flying solo or entertaining a group. Throw in high scores to best, gold trophies to earn, stamp achievements to collect and tons of Plaza decorations to unlock, and what youve got is an experience that must not be missed, and probably the best show of Wii U available at launch.

Kotaku-Yes

Originally Posted byKotaku:It's hard to assess how good or flawed Nintendo Land is. It's mostly a well-made if complicated game. If it's supposed to hook people on a convoluted console, it may falter. If it's supposed to delight Nintendo fans, it probably will without satiating them. But cutting through every other possible metric, the best thing to say about Nintendo Land is that it's fun. And it's fun in ways you've probably not experienced. It does things you could only do on a Wii U. It does things that justify Nitnendo's latest strange idea. Find a way to play Nintendo Land. It merits your attention.

1UP- B+

Originally Posted by1UP:Jeremy Parish: I don't think Nintendo Land will do much to convince new audiences to leap into owning a Wii U -- and maybe it doesn't need to. As a collection of minigames, Nintendo Land hits the spot. But as the envoy for a new console, a game that's clearly meant to be the new system's equivalent of Wii Sports, the message it sends feels muddled.

Marty Silva: As Jeremy mentioned, the game comes bundled in the deluxe version of the console, but I can't help but feel like Nintendo is missing an opportunity by not allowing every adopter of the hardware to immediately have this in their library. The way this collection utilizes the breadth of the GamePad's functionality delivers an important message about the future of the console; Nintendo Land proves to be more than a proof of concept, instead becoming a litmus test of the creative and social potential of the Wii U.

Jose Otero: I only wish the overall economy of Nintendo Land didn't depend on my contributions so much. Each challenge tier has to be unlocked, and all the coins collected go into a silly pachinko contraption that doesn't always reward me for trying. The idea of having to unlock stages and knick-knacks within Nintendo Land feels slightly dated concept and is ultimately useless. And the overall package ultimately amounts to yet another mini-game collection, and one that doesn't have to stick to such a traditional video game structure. Obviously, mileage for these attractions may vary, but Nintendo Lands delivers a fun title to keep you busy while friends and family visit during the upcoming holidays.

GamesBeat- 83/100

Originally Posted byGamesbeat:I wish I could split out and score Metroid Blast and Mario Chase on their own terms. As downloadable games with online multiplayer, both would be solid winners, and Id play them relentlessly. As is, half of Nintendo Land offers brief, creative fun in bite-sized chunks without ever constituting a full meal. The other half features dismal time-wasters and watery versions of great franchises that wont appeal much to casual or core gamers. Put another way, Nintendo Land epitomizes the minigame-compilation genre occasional flashes of brilliance surrounded by things you just dont want to exist.

Joystiq- 4/5

Originally Posted byJoystiq:Nintendo Land, then, is inherently targeted at a much narrower audience than its pack-in predecessor, Wii Sports. Whether you think that's a problem in the long term depends on how loudly you've decried Nintendo over the last six years for "abandoning" its core. In the short term, it's a great party game for people in that audience like the ones reading this website.

Eurogamer- 8/10

Originally Posted byEurogamer:It's better to judge Nintendo Land on its own merits. Do that and you might be surprised. It's not just half a dozen great diversions and a few more besides; it's sweet fan service that celebrates Nintendo's catalogue with more heart and less calculation than we've seen of late. Better yet, it reclaims the used and abused mini-game compilation from the hollow hinterlands of the casual cash-in, lovingly restores it and puts it back where it belongs - amid the hustle, the buzz, the urgent appeal of the arcade.

Polygon- 8/10

Originally Posted byPolygon:I played Nintendo Land surrounded by two dozen co-workers at Vox Media's video studio. Most had never heard of the Wii U, and were perplexed and a little put off by the GamePad controller. They'd apologize for walking in front of the TV only to realize I'd been lost in the tablet's screen for the past hour.

Most of them didn't understand how the game or the console worked until I booted "Luigi's Ghost Mansion." Suddenly, it clicked. Everyone was interested and enjoying themselves. They began talking about Nintendo and their favorite characters, and wondered what the hell this weird little machine was. They were in Nintendo Land, some of them for the first time in decades. It may not be the most magical place on Earth, but Nintendo Land is definitely the most magical place on the Wii U.

Digital Trends- 8/10

Originally Posted byDigital Trends:It is tough to review Nintendo Land as a game, since it is tutorial wrapped around multiple games of differing quality. Some of those games are exceptional, while others are not. It does what it sets out to do though, and it helps that the game features the traditionally fine polish that Nintendo games are known for. The graphics look great, and it is nice to see an HD rendition of titles like Metroid, even if it is only a brief and heavily cartoon-ized version. If nothing else, you have to credit it for its originality as it attempts things that no one else can even begin to mimic.

For the people picking up a Wii U for their family, or those that specifically want a game that can be played with others, Nintendo Land is a solid choice. The games are somewhat shallow, of course, and the explanations on how to play each game that keep popping up get old to the point of being obnoxious, but if you are looking for something to get the most out of your Wii U, Nintendo Land is a must have.

GamesRadar- 3.5/5

Originally Posted byGamesradar:As a whole, all 12 games contain enough variety to make Nintendo Land a perfectly satisfying way to familiarize yourself with the Wii U, but the reliance on Nintendo nostalgia is a blessing and a curse. Non-fans will be confused by references to little played NES and Game & Watch games. Oppositely, Nintendo fanboys will enjoy the references, but wont like settling for imitations of games like F-Zero and Zelda instead of the real thing. In spite of all that, Nintendo Land is great introduction to the Wii U, even if it lacks the longevity of Wii Sports.

GameInformer- 7/10

Originally Posted byGame Informer:The question for Nintendo Land really comes down to longevity. Although I had an absolute blast playing Mario Chase for a few rounds, Im already bored with it. With only a few similar standout games, the collection doesnt captivate as much as it could. Still, despite some control foibles and a few uninteresting minigames, Nintendo Land gives players a proper introduction to the capabilities of the Wii U and its GamePad.

Destructoid- 7/10

Originally Posted byDestructoid:Those unconvinced about what the Wii U can do would benefit from finding themselves a way of trying out Nintendo Land. It manages to do a lot with the system without, I believe, even scratching the service of what more focused and dedicated videogames could achieve. It's a game meant to excite you more about the system you just purchased, and that is what it does. Well worth checking out, at any rate.

San Francisco Chronicle- N/A

Originally Posted bySFGate:The value of the Wii U hardware itself is a question for another day. (Specifically this Sunday, according to Nintendo's two-page list of embargo dates, which accompanied the review units sent to critics in advance.) But "Nintendo Land" is a solid starting point, and just what the system needed to lure in any gamers who were on the fence.

Shacknews- N/A

#118 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Nintendo TVii and multimedia features patch delayed till december.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/16/nintendo-tvii-delayed/

When Nintendo's Wii U launches this weekend, it won't arrive with most of its primary multimedia features -- namely, Nintendo TVii, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, or Netflix. All were said to come pre-loaded on the new console, but reviewers found out early that a launch day patch would enable the functionality.As it turns out, that patch will actually arrive at some point in December, bearing Nintendo TVii, with the rest of the apps arriving "in the coming weeks" (no hard date is given for any of the apps).The console is still expected to launch with Miiverse, Nintendo Network, and backwards compatibility with the Nintendo Wii -- none of which is currently enabled on the Wii U. We've reached out to Nintendo to see if those things are still planned for launch.

#119 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
IGN gave scribblenauts unlimited an 8.8.
#120 Posted by GT90 (6256 posts) -

Finally got to try the Wii U Gamepad at bestbuy,it was very comfortable and easy to use. It seems really solid if Nintendo can keep third party companies interested and indie games via downloads. Wasn't really all the impressed with the Rayman demo, but that might be because I don't really like that franchise. I'm going to eventually pick up the Wii U, when I get the cash to do it, probably sometime early next year.

#121 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22925 posts) -
From the looks of it NSMBU is probably the best 2d Mario since Yoshi's Island.
#122 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
ZombiU gets a 4.5 from here. Oh GS...
#123 Posted by D3s7rUc71oN (5180 posts) -

ZombiU gets a 4.5 from here. Oh GS...dvader654

I wanted to pick this game up but I had a bad feeling so I decided to wait for reviews, I don't see the review yet. Oh well I guess I'll just pick up NSMB U.

#124 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Are there going to be demos up on the store?

Im tempted to play Darksiders and AC3 on this new console. Even though im sure i will be able to get them for a whole lot less on PC.

#125 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Gamespot gives Nintendo Land an 8.0, and New Super Mario Bros. U an 8.5. Wow, didn't see that coming.

#126 Posted by _Bear (18759 posts) -
ZombiU gets a 4.5 from here. Oh GS...dvader654
That turd is going back to Walmart as soon as it arrvies, NBA maybe Or Tekken, BO2, Scribblenauts hmmm not sure.
#127 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

ZombiU got a 4.5? Seriously? I thought it was considered one of the most-anticipated games for the Wii U?

#128 Posted by c_rakestraw (14867 posts) -

ZombiU got a 4.5? Seriously? I thought it was considered one of the most-anticipated games for the Wii U?Metamania

It was... but then, so was Red Steel for the Wii.

#129 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

The ZombiU review is a bit weird.

I feel like the whole argument about looking down at the GamePad and how it breaks or doesn't break immersion is going to be a huge thing in Wii U reviews. For ZombiU in particular, it's an integral part of the game. In contrast to GameSpot's review, IGN's preview talked it up about how it's really impressive and a unique take on the GamePad.

The GamePad seems like it's going to be something that's hugely divisive among different people. A lot of Wii reviews complained about things that I never felt were even present in the final product. I'm really curious to see if this is going to be the same case for Wii U reviews.

#130 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]ZombiU got a 4.5? Seriously? I thought it was considered one of the most-anticipated games for the Wii U?c_rake

It was... but then, so was Red Steel for the Wii.

I never played Red Steel on the Wii, so I would honestly have no clue if it was good or bad. Still, I've heard fans and critics alike talking about how ZombiU had potential to be a WiiU app-killer of sorts, etc. If that's really that bad of a game, then that's a shame. If I were to buy a Wii U next week, I would have only picked up NSMB2 and Batman AC Armored Edition and probably would have been happy enough with both titles.

#131 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]ZombiU gets a 4.5 from here. Oh GS..._Bear
That turd is going back to Walmart as soon as it arrvies, NBA maybe Or Tekken, BO2, Scribblenauts hmmm not sure.

You are going to trust THIS SITE. Really. After all the horrible reviews.

BTW ONM gave it a 92. And Edge gave it a 7.

#132 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

BTW the reason you dont see the zombiU GS review cause it is another leaked reviews. I guess we are supposed to pretend that GS doesn't intentionally break embargos, they are all accidental glitches.... SUUUUURRRREEE.

Anyway here is a response to GSs review:

@JimSterling: Those "leaked" reviews for #ZombiU tempt me to break embargo by saying I like the game, but I can't say I like the game, so I won't.

#133 Posted by c_rakestraw (14867 posts) -

BTW the reason you dont see the zombiU GS review cause it is another leaked reviews. I guess we are supposed to pretend that GS doesn't intentionally break embargos, they are all accidental glitches.... SUUUUURRRREEE.dvader654

Sounds about right. This place didn't earn the title of GlitchSpot for nothing, you know.

#134 Posted by Allicrombie (26185 posts) -
Not the greatest launch lineup ever, it looks like.
#135 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]BTW the reason you dont see the zombiU GS review cause it is another leaked reviews. I guess we are supposed to pretend that GS doesn't intentionally break embargos, they are all accidental glitches.... SUUUUURRRREEE.c_rake

Sounds about right. This place didn't earn the title of GlitchSpot for nothing, you know.

yeah, you wouldve thought they wouldve learned by now. What a bunch of losers.

#136 Posted by o0squishy0o (2785 posts) -

ZombieU got a 4.5? Wow, and I got slated for saying it didnt look anything special a few months back. I guess thats the problem with launch games, there is extra hype and tension, specially when its meant to be a genre bringing in larger audiences.

#137 Posted by F1Lengend (7906 posts) -
Sorry but this game looks average, if not below average based on tedious gameplay. I'm glad GS is being aggressive in their scoring like they did 10 years ago, hopefully others follow suit. 5 needs to become average again not 7, we need to look at how films are critiqued. We are getting to a point where everything is sound mechanically but that doesn't mean nothing gets below 7 anymore.
#138 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

[QUOTE="_Bear"][QUOTE="dvader654"]ZombiU gets a 4.5 from here. Oh GS...dvader654

You are going to trust THIS SITE. Really. After all the horrible reviews.

BTW ONM gave it a 92. And Edge gave it a 7.

ONM also gave Red Steel a 91. So, eh.
#139 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

Gamespot just put up their review of New Super Mario Bros U. It looks amazing!

#140 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
We are a few hours from launch and the excitement just is not there. This is easily one of the most ho hum launches ever. The truth is we are just going to be playing the same games we have been playing for the last 6 years but with a touch pad. At least the Wii had incredible never before tech before, everyone knows what a touch pad is. Sad that this is the reaction to the first console launch in six years.
#141 Posted by c_rakestraw (14867 posts) -

yeah, you wouldve thought they wouldve learned by now. What a bunch of losers.S0lidSnake

Such are the problems of running a site on the same software for almost a decade. Really hoping that rebuilding the staff keeps mentioning will make the place more stable and usable.

Sorry but this game looks average, if not below average based on tedious gameplay. I'm glad GS is being aggressive in their scoring like they did 10 years ago, hopefully others follow suit. 5 needs to become average again not 7, we need to look at how films are critiqued. We are getting to a point where everything is sound mechanically but that doesn't mean nothing gets below 7 anymore. F1Lengend

Agreed. 'Bout time they start being critics for once. Not enough people like that these days.

#142 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22925 posts) -

some pics of the online interface

TW9SE.jpg

5rdbK.png

#143 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Went to Bestbuy to ask them if I could pick up my In-Store preorder at Midnight. Nope. No Midnight launch at Bestbuy. (They had midnight launches for Halo, Avengers DVD etc.)

Went to Gamestop to ask them if I could pick up my preorder at Midnight. Nope. No Midnight launches at ANY Gamestops in their district. Apparently they didnt even sell out on all the reserves.

This is going to be the Vita of this console gen. No one f*cking cares about it. No one knows about. I was telling my brother about the lack of any midnight launches and he's like 'wtf is Wii U'. Nintendo done f*cked up. No casuals know it's coming. And those who do think it;s a peripheral.

I am now worried about selling it on ebay.

#144 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22925 posts) -

This is going to be the Vita of this console gen.

S0lidSnake

I highly doubt Nintendo will allow it to get that bad.

#145 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

That is a GS and BB thing, they desided to not have midnight launches cause of some stupid mentality that they believe it wouldnt be worth it with a nintendo crowd., which I guess they assume includes a bunch of kids and moms that wont come at midnight. They have not had a midnight launch for a nintendo product since Smash Bros.

BTW ebay aint looking so hot, average of like $500 or so, many less. So no chance to double up, oh well.

#146 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

OMG this is horrible

#147 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

unreal.

i am expecting nintendo to complletely fail this gen. they r obviously not ready to release a console with current gen features.

#148 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

From gaf on wii to wii u system transfer:

Chris Kohler's been tweeting about the process, and he has some massively **** news. Apparently you CAN'T simply move the Wii's SD card over to the Wii U afterwards (a la 3DS). The games won't work.

Only the games already on the Wii's system memory will transfer, everything that was on the SD card has to be redownloaded on the Wii U itself. And the limit is still 512 MB, so you'll still have to use the card to store the overflow.

According to Chris.

http://twitter.com/kobunheat

What a disaster.

#149 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
The update is 1G not 5G still bad.
#150 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

In any case a firmware update over a gig, on a system that only has 8 GBs to begin with? Seriously, Nintendo?

Unless you're a huge fan of Nintendo's first party there is absolutely no reason to get the Wii U. What is it getting at launch? Oh that's right, ports of games that have come out over a year ago on the 360 and PS3 (Batman: Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, etc...). And what will probably happen is that the Wii U is only going to get ports for multiplats for the rest of its lifespan. Developers will continue to use the 360 as the lead for the remaining titles of this gen, and when next gen rolls around the next Xbox/PS4 will probably be the lead platforms once again. The Wii U is the odd one out, and will probably end up having terrible 3rd party support, much like the Wii before it.

I also really don't see anyone talking much about the online network, which I think is right now is safe to assume won't be anywhere near the standards set by Xbox Live and PSN. Nintendo has barely even acknowledged the presence of any network whatsoever, unsurprisingly. Do I trust Nintendo to run a network that I can play Call of Duty or Battlefield on? At this point, no. I've heard friend codes are making a return (not sure?), but if so, good lord Nintendo, you are behind the times.

I won't talk more about the controller as I feel I've stated this countless times, but I just don't see it being the game-changer Nintendo does. I could be wrong, but there certainly is a lack of hype among the general public.