Official The Last of Us thread. One of the highest rated games this gen.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Mod Note: Closing this as a new thread was made.

Blog_TheLastOfUsReleaseDate_EN.jpg

Release date: June 14 (yes that is a friday)

In a few weeks the next potential masterpiece from Naughty Dog hits. If you dont know about it check out one of the many previews or videos on it. Lots like a great action adventure game all about survival in a horror setting... wait would that be a, nah. 

Reviews:

First review is out from Empire, its a bit extreme.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?GID=973

The Last of Us is not just the finest game that Naughty Dog has yet crafted and an easy contender for the best game of this console generation, it may also prove to be gamings Citizen Kane moment a masterpiece that will be looked back upon favourably for decades. 5/5

EDGE: 10/10

OPM UK 10/10

#2 Posted by hippiesanta (9981 posts) -
why not at system war?
#3 Posted by chicknfeet (15629 posts) -
I am really looking forward to this game being kick ass. I've just been burned too many times on hype games, which makes me a little bit skeptical on how well it will perform. I usually only reserve day 1 purchases for games I know i'm gonna enjoy. Last of Us looks like i'll probably enjoy it, but I thought the same thing about MvC3 when it first came out :(
#4 Posted by Metamania (12024 posts) -

why not at system war?hippiesanta

Because it has nothing to do with the console wars. That's why.

#5 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

I fully expect it to be average and rather generic.

#6 Posted by gamingqueen (31076 posts) -

I fully expect it to be average and rather generic.

Pffrbt

I expect that too. I will look into a gameplay video and decide. It's 56 minutes long. 

#7 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

I'll have to remember to watch a gameplay video tomorrow. I'm not getting my hopes up.

#8 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17686 posts) -

I'll have to remember to watch a gameplay video tomorrow. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Pffrbt

The gameplay videos have left me stunned as to the amount of hype the game is getting. It seems the more I see of the game, the more average/not interesting it looks....

#9 Posted by MirkoS77 (8097 posts) -

A Citizen Kane moment?  Hyperbole alert.  No wonder they were allowed to review so early.

#10 Posted by Olizart (38 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to this game. I read on a forum site that the demo you get with GOW Ascension is an early access, and the same demo will be on PS Store the following week (which is only a week before the game any way). Any one know if this is true? I'm really over the God Of War series with its running around and button mashing to swing your chains. I don't want to waste my money to buy it just so I can play the Last Of Us demo.

#11 Posted by Bigboi500 (30820 posts) -

GOTY over GTA V. Yep, I said it.

#12 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

GOTY over GTA V. Yep, I said it.

Bigboi500

It's a sad year if either of these are going to be considered the best.

#13 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Not hanging my hat on reviews, but I'm really excited about The Last of Us based on Naughty Dog's past work (especially Uncharted 2, the last game this team made) and the little gameplay footage I've allowed myself to watch. Can't wait to play the demo this afternoon.

#14 Posted by FPSunionOWNS (2030 posts) -

Blog_TheLastOfUsReleaseDate_EN.jpg

Release date: June 14 (yes that is a friday)

In a few weeks the next potential masterpiece from Naughty Dog hits. If you dont know about it check out one of the many previews or videos on it. Lots like a great action adventure game all about survival in a horror setting... wait would that be a, nah. 

Those of you with GoW Ascension can try the demo out starting tomorrow at 1pm EST. (You can rent GoW to try it as well)

Reviews:

First review is out from Empire, its a bit extreme.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?GID=973

The Last of Us is not just the finest game that Naughty Dog has yet crafted and an easy contender for the best game of this console generation, it may also prove to be gamings Citizen Kane moment a masterpiece that will be looked back upon favourably for decades. 5/5

dvader654
Are you sure that you don't need to pre order god of war for the demo, I will probably pick it up used at gamestop today and return it.
#15 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

dvader654

LOL

Teh hyperbole... and that's coming from someone who loves me some hyperbole.

#16 Posted by Heirren (18619 posts) -

I like Empire.  I live in the US and have a subscription, which is rather pricey for a print magazine(I think it was $60 bucks, give or take with a coupon code).  As for their game reviews, they can be even more spot on as most of the ad revenue is from a film criteria--ive never really read bias from this magazine in this respect.

Anyways, it is an obvious buy.  Im just not sure I want to spend $60 on it.  Sales come very quick these days.  What does want to make me pick it up for $60 is that I'd prefer to play it before ps4 lands.

#17 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18976 posts) -
I never had any doubt about it
#18 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

I'm so glad that gamers finally gets a game that they can "look back upon favorably for decades"! After decades of throwing games away when the new sequel shows up, I was starting to lose hope.

#19 Posted by Baroni88 (340 posts) -
So this brings the question: when will the demo go live on PSN? I'm stoked! Nvm, I just reread the OP's first message. So about 10AM PST.
#20 Posted by shellcase86 (2077 posts) -

I'm stoked. It's bound to be on many lists. One thing ND does well is stroy telling. They get a lot of flack for graphics and gameplay (you either love it or hate it), but their narratives are very strong.

#21 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to this game. I read on a forum site that the demo you get with GOW Ascension is an early access, and the same demo will be on PS Store the following week (which is only a week before the game any way). Any one know if this is true? I'm really over the God Of War series with its running around and button mashing to swing your chains. I don't want to waste my money to buy it just so I can play the Last Of Us demo.

Olizart
I believe this is so though not sure. Gaf is the one that says the demo is on the GoW disc so no need to preorder... again not sure.
#22 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
The review is totally ridiculous, Which is why it makes for great forum fodder.
#23 Posted by Blueresident87 (5340 posts) -

I never pay attention to what reviews say about a game, they're misleading. 

I am excited for this game though

#24 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="Olizart"]

dvader654

I believe this is so though not sure. Gaf is the one that says the demo is on the GoW disc so no need to preorder... again not sure.

I bought GoW Ascension. The demo is on the disc. You can select it from the XMB. Looks like it's always been on the disc, it was just locked behind a countdown.

#25 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -
First reviews are always terrible, no matter the score. Besides, I can't remember the last time I used a review as a guide for a purchase. I usually don't even know what the GS score for a game is until I add it to my collection, and if it was reviewed it shows up in the column. (my boomark for Gamespot comes straight to the forums main-page)
#26 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

Looks like they took the review down. Game looks very interesting. They really should have saved it for PS4.

#27 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -
I bought GoW Ascension. The demo is on the disc. You can select it from the XMB. Looks like it's always been on the disc, it was just locked behind a countdown.S0lidSnake
How is it? I'm still waiting for a price drop, too many rumblings about changes for the worse, and paying anything more than thirty dollars for yet another God of War prequel just feels wrong.
#28 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

Looks like they took the review down. Game looks very interesting. They really should have saved it for PS4.

alexwatchtower
Both Sony and MS have surprised me with how bold they've been about finishing what they start on the current systems. I'm still flabbergasted they did not save Halo 4 for a Xbone launch game. (especially considering the lack of BC for the new system) I have yet to play Halo 4 (I'm a huge fan of the series though) because I don't own a 360 at this time, and I'm still waiting for a price drop/third and yet sleeker model. Hopefully the rumored third model is better than the mediocre effort PS3 got.
#29 Posted by FPSunionOWNS (2030 posts) -

I was playing uncharted 3 yesterday and i got to the part where the plane is crashing and the side rips out and my jaw dropped, im sure last of us will look amazing as well

#30 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

[QUOTE="alexwatchtower"]

Randolph

Both Sony and MS have surprised me with how bold they've been about finishing what they start on the current systems. I'm still flabbergasted they did not save Halo 4 for a Xbone launch game. (especially considering the lack of BC for the new system) I have yet to play Halo 4 (I'm a huge fan of the series though) because I don't own a 360 at this time, and I'm still waiting for a price drop/third and yet sleeker model. Hopefully the rumored third model is better than the mediocre effort PS3 got.

Good! I don't want my next gen consoles with the same old series. I didn't even finish 3. And I don't own one anymore either, but I honestly am read to move on from last gen and it's not that I wouldn't be interested in trying a re-boot, I just don't want that to be the face of the console. Besides, they didn't even do that for the 360. They created Gears. Last of Us seems fresh though. Would have made a great next-gen title.

#31 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -
Good! I don't want my next gen consoles with the same old series. I didn't even finish 3. And I don't own one anymore either, but I honestly am read to move on from last gen and it's not that I wouldn't be interested in trying a re-boot, I just don't want that to be the face of the console. Besides, they didn't even do that for the 360. They created Gears. Last of Us seems fresh though. Would have made a great next-gen title.alexwatchtower
That's a sentiment I can feel. But they have to actually stick with it this time. That didn't last long with the 360. The Xbox 360 was absolute gold in it's early days, Pat Mifflin even said it was "out Playstationing Playstation 3". (PS3 in it's initial phase tried to be a westernized shooter box, and it went over about as well as a wet fart during mass)
#32 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]I bought GoW Ascension. The demo is on the disc. You can select it from the XMB. Looks like it's always been on the disc, it was just locked behind a countdown.Randolph
How is it? I'm still waiting for a price drop, too many rumblings about changes for the worse, and paying anything more than thirty dollars for yet another God of War prequel just feels wrong.

Worst god of war yet. Terrible combat. Unpolished boss fights. Awful story. Best graphics ever. Good puzzles. Bad, poorly paced and boring campaign.

Was not worth $60. Not worth $30. Rent it if you are a huge god of war fan like I am. Otherwise, skip it.

#34 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -
Worst god of war yet. Terrible combat. Unpolished boss fights. Awful story. Best graphics ever. Good puzzles. Bad, poorly paced and boring campaign. Was not worth $60. Not worth $30. Rent it if you are a huge god of war fan like I am. Otherwise, skip it.S0lidSnake
Well, okay then. Sounds like a nineteen dollar game. Likely won't have to wait much longer, GOW3 price crashed pretty fast as well, and it sold better and averaged higher on MC.
#35 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]Worst god of war yet. Terrible combat. Unpolished boss fights. Awful story. Best graphics ever. Good puzzles. Bad, poorly paced and boring campaign. Was not worth $60. Not worth $30. Rent it if you are a huge god of war fan like I am. Otherwise, skip it.Randolph
Well, okay then. Sounds like a nineteen dollar game. Likely won't have to wait much longer, GOW3 price crashed pretty fast as well, and it sold better and averaged higher on MC.

I think Ascension is excellent. The same top quality bloodletting we've been enjoying for years now leavened with a few tweaks to the combat system to keep things interesting. Sure it's familiar stuff, but that's no bad thing considering how enjoyable chopping things up in God of War has always been. Also, best final boss in the series.

I had no problems with the pacing, particularly compared to GOW 3 which - entertaining though it was - blew its wad in the first half hour or so and spent the rest of the game trying to catch up.

#36 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18976 posts) -
And please for the love of christ, vader, edit the thread title: it's Kane, not Kain :P It's making my eyes bleed D:
#37 Posted by FPSunionOWNS (2030 posts) -

alright so i bought god of war ascension just to play the last of us demo and when i press download demo its said error 3 times so i press quit to try again and now the demo option is gone WTF!!

#38 Posted by Blueresident87 (5340 posts) -

And please for the love of christ, vader, edit the thread title: it's Kane, not Kain :P It's making my eyes bleed D:Black_Knight_00

I'm suprised nobody else has noticed this.

#39 Posted by FPSunionOWNS (2030 posts) -

so apparently the last of us demo crashed the playstation store lol, now i gotta wait longer to play the demo lmao

#40 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Ooooohh good job Naughty Dog seems this game is going to be good....
#41 Posted by Deadpool-n (489 posts) -

I'm excited for this game, it looks great.

#42 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

And please for the love of christ, vader, edit the thread title: it's Kane, not Kain :P It's making my eyes bleed D:Black_Knight_00

Well, he OBVIOUSLY meant it was a Legacy of Citizen Kain moment. :P

#43 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="Randolph"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]Worst god of war yet. Terrible combat. Unpolished boss fights. Awful story. Best graphics ever. Good puzzles. Bad, poorly paced and boring campaign. Was not worth $60. Not worth $30. Rent it if you are a huge god of war fan like I am. Otherwise, skip it.Business_Fun

I think Ascension is excellent. The same top quality bloodletting we've been enjoying for years now leavened with a few tweaks to the combat system to keep things interesting. Sure it's familiar stuff, but that's no bad thing considering how enjoyable chopping things up in God of War has always been. Also, best final boss in the series.

I had no problems with the pacing, particularly compared to GOW 3 which - entertaining though it was - blew its wad in the first half hour or so and spent the rest of the game trying to catch up.

I thought the story was profoundly underwhelming (and not because I have something against prequels, Ready at Dawn's prequel Ghost of Sparta boasts my favorite story in the series) but otherwise I thought Ascension was familiar but fun and it was paced a lot better than GoW3. Also, I liked that they got away from epic bosses a few times and went with small (relatively), agile, but still deadly bosses.

#44 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

This is vader we are talking about here. He likes Michael Bay's Transformer movies..

#45 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -
MICHAEL BOOM!~!!!!!!!!!!!! (I actually kinda liked them too, they were good fun popcorn entertainment)
#46 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18976 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]And please for the love of christ, vader, edit the thread title: it's Kane, not Kain :P It's making my eyes bleed D:S0lidSnake

This is vader we are talking about here. He likes Michael Bay's Transformer movies..

You like Iron Man and have never seen Star Wars :P
#47 Posted by FPSunionOWNS (2030 posts) -

Ok guys i finally downloaded it and played the demo and i feel like i was so excited about it that playing it nothing would be good enough to satisfy my expectations.

I was wrong it was even better than i expected somehow. The graphics are on a next level way better than uncharted 3, the gameplay is awesome and terrifying, i am absolutley buying this game and i know for a fact it will get great reviews everywhere.

#48 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Incredible demo. I played on hard with listening mode off and the enemies made me work for it. Given the speed of some of the foes and the fact that firing a gun is like shouting 'I'M OVER HERE!' to every enemy in the area guns are often not the best solution even if one excludes the fact that ammo is extremely limited (I started off with a gun with 4 bullets and picked up a gun with 6 more and that was it for bullets the whole demo).

I also love the health system (Joel patches himself up in real time). The crafting system looks cool, though I wasn't able to experiment with it because I didn't find much in the way of basic materials.

As one might expect, the audiovisuals are stellar and the voicework and writing are top notch.

The trailer included with the demo is also quite impressive, and reveals some interesting characters.

#49 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Incredible demo. I played on hard with listening mode off and the enemies made me work for it. Given the speed of some of the foes and the fact that firing a gun is like shouting 'I'M OVER HERE!' to every enemy in the area guns are often not the best solution even if one excludes the fact that ammo is extremely limited (I started off with a gun with 4 bullets and picked up a gun with 6 more and that was it for bullets the whole demo).

I also love the health system (Joel patches himself up in real time). The crafting system looks cool, though I wasn't able to experiment with it because I didn't find much in the way of basic materials.

As one might expect, the audiovisuals are stellar and the voicework and writing are top notch.

The trailer included with the demo is also quite impressive, and reveals some interesting characters.

CarnageHeart

Is it the E3 demo?

#50 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

S0lidSnake

Is it the E3 demo?

No, its a different demo. One doesn't come across any live humans, only clickers.