Official Super Mario 3D World thread of potential GOTY.

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

On Nov. 22nd the Wii U finally has its killer app. A Mario game with as much imagination and platforming bliss as the Galaxy series. The next major 3D Mario game is here and it could be another Nintendo masterpiece.

I will make this post nicer later but for now I have this.

IGN screwed up and posted their video review early, it was taken down but recored. It got a 9.6!

Here is the link to the video.

Looks like on Nov. 22nd Nintendo shows why they are still the greatest game developers on the planet.

#2 Posted by Bigboi500 (29612 posts) -

Game of the year.

#3 Posted by Netret0120 (2084 posts) -

About darn time!!!

#4 Posted by GAJY_FILTH (112 posts) -

Wii U > Xbox One > PS4

Wii - Pikmin 3, Mario, Zelda WW HD

Xbox One - Forza 5 (maybe Ryse, DR3 and KI but they're not dead certs)

PS4 - Nothing.

#5 Posted by b4il (91 posts) -

i'm so hyped for this game!

#6 Posted by ristactionjakso (5725 posts) -

About effing time. Nintendo is worried about Wii-U sales...The root of that is little 1rst party games. Once they release them like this one and next Zelda, they will see a jump in Wii-U sales. I will end up getting a Wii-U.

#7 Posted by Planeforger (15636 posts) -

To be honest, this one wasn't even on my radar when I bought a Wii U on Tuesday (there seemed to be enough games to justify the console as it was).

After seeing a trailer a few nights ago, it's a day one purchase for me. The reviews are just the icing on the cake.

#8 Edited by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

A 9.6? Worse than Galaxy 2 confirmed. :P

#9 Edited by Randolph (10500 posts) -

The IGN image gave something away I didn't know, had no idea the lady from Galaxy was a playable character.

#10 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@Randolph: They revealed that in the latest Nintendo Direct, too.

#11 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8850 posts) -

I'm really excited for this game! Wii U's really heating up

#12 Posted by BranKetra (48447 posts) -

Wow. Nintendo again reminds us how good they are at making games.

#13 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22439 posts) -

I love how in the midst ot Sony and MS flinging crap at eachother over their launches Nintendo comes through in the area that matters most: games

#14 Posted by juboner (449 posts) -

It will be to easy most likely

#15 Posted by Planeforger (15636 posts) -

@juboner said:

I don't know about that - NSMB U and especially NSLuigi U had a pretty great balance of easy and brutal levels, so I wouldn't expect anything less from this one.

#16 Posted by MirkoS77 (7328 posts) -

It's a start.

#17 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@juboner said:

I don't know about that - NSMB U and especially NSLuigi U had a pretty great balance of easy and brutal levels, so I wouldn't expect anything less from this one.

My guess is it'll be like Galaxy 2 and SM3DL: The main levels are fairly easy, but the bonus stuff is where the difficulty really ramps up.

#18 Posted by Metamania (11996 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

It's a start.

A start? How so?

#19 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

So the review site that gave the Mario U a mere 9.1 has given the latest Mario game a glowing 9.6? Surely this marks the turnaround of the Wii U's fortunes!

Seriously, I'm sure that like Zelda HD, this will do well among Nintendo's core. Right now Wii U sales are at sub-GC levels, but this should push the sales up to GC levels.

#20 Posted by Planeforger (15636 posts) -

So the review site that gave the Mario U a mere 9.1 has given the latest Mario game a glowing 9.6? Surely this marks the turnaround of the Wii U's fortunes!

Seriously, I'm sure that like Zelda HD, this will do well among Nintendo's core. Right now Wii U sales are at sub-GC levels, but this should push the sales up to GC levels.

It could, but it needs solid advertising and/or strong word-of-mouth to bring in the crowds it deserves. If I don't see ads for this on TV next week (like I used to all the time for DS games), I'm going to be sorely disappointed in Nintendo.

#21 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17269 posts) -

Mario games always do well critically, whether they are great or not...

Game does look solid though and I would check it out if I had a Wii-U. I don't see this game being enough to save the Wii-U at this point though. Nintendo really fucked things up with how they have handled their latest home console...

#22 Edited by kbaily (13042 posts) -

#Like a lot of you I'll admit that when I saw the first E3 trailer, I wasn't blown away despite the fact I was happy Peach was A) Not captured for once and B) getting to be playable since, like, Super Paper Mario I think, at least in terms of adventure games. And I love kitties so a game that combined Mario and kitties was a "shut up and take my money" moment for me and enough to make me want a WiiU this year but later trailers looked way better. 3D World is a bigger more expansive game than it's 3DS predecessor and it's probably the closest thing we'll get to a spiritual successor to Super Mario Bros. 2. I always figured if Nintendo makes any more Mario 2D games (they seem to be giving that a break for now) they should do New Super Mario Bros. :Return to Subcon and bring back Wart, Mouser, Tryclyde, etc. The koopa kids came back after a long hiatus, I think Wart's time has come again. But there's plenty in this one that I'm liking.

Also I really don't want Galaxy 3. I'd like to see another open world 3D Mario game like 64 or Sunshine. The gamepad would make for a really good map and inventory but instead of like 64, Sunshine or Galaxy, it takes more of a Jak and Daxter or Banjo Kazooie approach and have a more interconnected, organic world instead of Mario going through a door, getting a star, returning to the hub to repeat. It would be cool if he could stay in the same level until all his shiny doodads are collected, then be able to exit. Honestly it's probably just me longing for a new open world, collect-a-thon platformer starring a non realistic looking character. The last one that was close to that was probably Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. I was so sad that Knack which has so much potential for an open world platforming game was reduced to a linear beat 'em up.

#23 Posted by MirkoS77 (7328 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

It's a start.

A start? How so?

Of the system finally getting games I wish to play.

#24 Posted by Zijuun (93 posts) -

All I need to know is Nintendo has a lot of money. And IGN loves money.

#25 Posted by Planeforger (15636 posts) -

@zijuun said:

Which isn't saying much, since whenever insiders speak out against paid reviews, they tend to speak highly of Nintendo as being a company that doesn't buy reviews (at least from the ones I've read).

#26 Posted by Zijuun (93 posts) -

@zijuun said:

Which isn't saying much, since whenever insiders speak out against paid reviews, they tend to speak highly of Nintendo as being a company that doesn't buy reviews (at least from the ones I've read).

True, Nintendo doesn't seem like that kind of company, but it's suspicious that IGN is going on a 9.0+-score-spree for Nintendo games right now. Games like Batman Arkham Origins gets 7.8 and Killzone SF gets 8.0? Very, very suspicious. I usually don't trust IGN reviews, but there are exceptions where they are quite spot on with certain games (like Knack).

#27 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@zijuun said:

@Planeforger said:

@zijuun said:

True, Nintendo doesn't seem like that kind of company, but it's suspicious that IGN is going on a 9.0+-score-spree for Nintendo games right now. Games like Batman Arkham Origins gets 7.8 and Killzone SF gets 8.0? Very, very suspicious. I usually don't trust IGN reviews, but there are exceptions where they are quite spot on with certain games (like Knack).

I don't think Nintendo has to write checks or anything. IGN Nintendo writers almost invariably graduate to working for Nintendo. One could take a cynical view of that, but I suspect that most of them are honestly devoted to Nintendo and have been since childhood.

http://playeressence.com/richard-george-is-leaving-ign-for-nintendo/

#28 Edited by kbaily (13042 posts) -

For those who think Nintendo isn't advertising enough. I was watching Ratatoulle on Disney (one of the few Pixar movies I don't own) and saw commercials for it. There's one that has a family playing it and the teenage sister is dressed like a cat. Okaaay... but another one just shows clips of gameplay. So yes Nintendo is advertising this game, you know on channels kids are likely to watch.

Also I don't see Nintendo paying off reviewers for high scores. If that was the case WiiU Party would've been getting 8s and 9s. Maybe the game is well made and is fun to play. But when it comes to reviews, no one ever seems happy. GTAV gets a 9 and there's an outcry because it wasn't a perfect 10 and then all the early next gen console adopters mad their launch games were getting average scores. And of course Sonic fans who scream foul every time a Sonic game gets slammed by reviewers.

#29 Posted by Zijuun (93 posts) -

@zijuun said:

@Planeforger said:

@zijuun said:

I don't think Nintendo has to write checks or anything. IGN Nintendo writers almost invariably graduate to working for Nintendo. One could take a cynical view of that, but I suspect that most of them are honestly devoted to Nintendo and have been since childhood.

IGN has never rated Nintendo games as high as above 9. And a lot of editors like Sony Playstations and such, I know a couple editors that are Nintendo fans but not very many. So for Nintendo to have such high scores, surprises me.

#30 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
@zijuun said:

@CarnageHeart said:

@zijuun said:

@Planeforger said:

@zijuun said:

IGN has never rated Nintendo games as high as above 9. And a lot of editors like Sony Playstations and such, I know a couple editors that are Nintendo fans but not very many. So for Nintendo to have such high scores, surprises me.

Actually, they give 9+ scores for Nintendo games all the time. Galaxy 1 & 2, SM3DL, every Zelda game in the current and previous gen, the Metroid Prime trilogy, Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, etc.

#31 Edited by Zijuun (93 posts) -

@1PMrFister said:
@zijuun said:

@CarnageHeart said:

@zijuun said:

@Planeforger said:

@zijuun said:

Actually, they give 9+ scores for Nintendo games all the time. Galaxy 1 & 2, SM3DL, every Zelda game in the current and previous gen, the Metroid Prime trilogy, Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, etc.

:o Never knew. They're also games that didn't get good reviews like Sonic Lost World~! -.-

#32 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@zijuun: And to further dispel the "IGN works for Nintendo" belief, I distinctly recall three separate articles they wrote in 2009 that were straight-up Nintendo-bashing. One of which even had the name of "Nintendo is lazy and you don't care!" Subtle, I know.

#33 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@zijuun said:

@Planeforger said:

@zijuun said:

It probably has to do with the Nintendo games being way better than those games...

#34 Posted by WTA2k5 (3997 posts) -

Wow! IGN gives a big-name game a high score! That's totally unexpected, has never happened before, and must be completely on point (just like it was for Skyward Sword, Tomb Raider, and Halo 4)!

#35 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@zijuun: And to further dispel the "IGN works for Nintendo" belief, I distinctly recall three separate articles they wrote in 2009 that were straight-up Nintendo-bashing. One of which even had the name of "Nintendo is lazy and you don't care!" Subtle, I know.

Matt Casamassina worked IGN Nintendo for 13 years before that article and stopped working for IGN three months after it (no Nintendo job for him, he went to Apple).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/12/11/column-nintendo-is-lazy-and-you-dont-care

Once a guy losses faith in Mario, he can't keep working for IGN Nintendo.

#36 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Lol this game was nominated for best game of the year at the VGAs along with hits like TLOU, Bioshock Infinite, GTAV and Tomb Raider. This has nothing to do with IGN’s inflated scores. This game is the real deal.

I could never get into SMG, but this game looks gorgeous and doesn’t use the waggle. Hopefully someone does a Buy 2 Get 1 free deal so I can get it with the Xbone games.

#37 Edited by kbaily (13042 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: I'm sure there will be some black Friday deal but for me it's not worth the risk of being trampled. LOL

It's nice that Spike nominated this Mario game for GOTY after snubbing Galaxy 2 back in 2010.

I'm also interested to see what this does for the WiiU. We so quickly forget the 3DS sales were dismal for months and as soon as 3D Land was released, sales picked up. Nintendo keeps making Mario games because they sell.

#38 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

Here's the escapist review but sadly Bob Chipman (Game Overthinker/Moviebob) is reviewing it meaning no one will take it seriously and attribute this to his "Nintendo fanboyism." Though he tries his best to be objective and point out shortcomings.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10754-Super-Mario-3D-World-Review

I thought he didn't do reviews unless The Escapist hired him as a reviewer now.

#39 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: So does this mean the VGA's actually matter again?

@CarnageHeart: IGN was just weird during those few months. They gave NSMBWii a score of 8.9, but then the last line in the review made it sound like it only got half that. They bashed the hell out of the graphics in the Wii version of Modern Warfare, but the screenshots they posted were of the notorious pre-beta version when the actual game looked... still rough, but much less so.

#40 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

And a 9.0 on Gamespot. Nintendo's on a roll :P.

#41 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

Gametrailers gave it a 9.5. and as of this post averaging 93 on Metacritic, but haters gonna hate.

#42 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Those reviews!!!!! It did score higher than Zelda, holy crap.

Eurogamer 10/10

Compact by the standards of the Galaxy adventures but still loaded with bountiful secrets, beneath the warm familiarity of 3D World lies one of the strangest Mario games in years - or at least one of the most random in its influences and its moment-to-moment indulgences. And that's a very, very good thing. The Wii U sees Nintendo's mascot racing into venerable middle age by going wonderfully loopy - by dialling up the energy, even if the end result is often absolutely insane. After all these years, who could blame him?

Destructoid 10/10

There was a moment where I was taking in the beautiful soundtrack, hovering over a tricky jump as cat Peach, and watching the glistening water below where the game really came together. It was then that I realized that Super Mario 3D World had achieved a level of platforming design that's close to perfection, and there was almost never a moment where I didn't have a smile on my face. This is the unequivocally the best Mario game since Galaxy 2, and it shows up anything the "New" series has ever done, and then some.

Good work, Nintendo.

Nintendo World Report 10/10

Thankfully 3D World isn’t just a refinement of the Mario formula, it’s a powerful re-imagining. It’s an explosive cavalcade of color and excitement as well as a well thought out evolution of Mario. The plot even deviates (although not too wildly) from what you might expect in a Mario game, giving you some silly surprises amidst the parade of unlockable content. This is one Mario game you’ll want to play well after the credits roll and might just be the killer app of the Wii U. Not since Super Mario World have I been so in love with a Mario game.

Nintendolife 10/10

This is a definitive 3D Mario experience, successfully finding a middle-ground between the iconic Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy. You may not swing Bowser by his tail or run upside down, but it’s bursting with creativity nonetheless, while delivering on the craft and skill that defines the Tokyo EAD studio. It’s unmissable.

Darkstation 10/10

Super Mario 3D World is both gorgeous and about as enjoyable as a video game can be. There is an immense amount of depth that kept me coming back for more, time and time again. This is the rare type of game that I believe ten years down the road we will be coming back and playing again and again. It’s that good. For all those worried that the Wii U was going to fall into some dark oblivion, fret not, your savior is here and its Super Mario 3D World one of the best platformers ever made.

Gamereactor Sweden 10/10

CVG 10/10

It's perhaps best summed up by its soundtrack, where bouncy strings meet gently percussive tropical themes, chiming Christmas bells, jaunty accordions, and energetic shamisen and shakuhachi. While its rare orchestral manoeuvres are among the musical highlights, it's telling that there's little of Galaxy's bombast. As the fervour for next-gen hardware reaches its crescendo, EAD Tokyo has quietly gone about the business of making the best game you'll play this Christmas.

There's no clarion call of trumpets to herald the arrival of Super Mario 3D World. And yet, of all the games released in the next couple of months, it might deserve the biggest fanfare of them all.

The Guardian 5/5

To some, Super Mario may appear tired: a mascot whom Nintendo trots out every few years to sell another console with repackaged but fundamentally stale ideas. Super Mario 3D World is a fierce rebuttal to the accusation. Mario and his makers once again assert their dominance of spatial navigation games, displaying a rude abundance of ideas to delight, surprise and celebrate innocence and playfulness.

Digitalspy 5/5

Like 3D Land on the 3DS before it, Super Mario 3D World is a must have for existing owners and enough for anyone on the fence to make the plunge.

Similarly, while it isn't a strong case for the Wii U's unique features, that doesn't make it anything less special. It's platforming perfection, brimming with clever ideas and flawless execution.

Venturebeat 97/100

When taken as a whole (the single-player refinements, the visuals, the music, and the multiplayer), Super Mario 3D World is my favorite 3D Mario and the best game I’ve played in 2013.

IGN 9.6/10

Gametrailers. 9.5

Spaziogames 9.5/10

TechnoBuffalo 9.5/10

Personally speaking, there hasn’t been a Mario game like this for me since Super Mario World. I love the Galaxy games, but the SNES entry always got my nod for the best of the best. Super Mario 3D World approaches that level. The lens of nostalgia might keep the older game in higher regards for me, but this Super Mario 3D World is simply fantastic.

It’s one of my new favorites.

Official Nintendo Magazine 93/100

It's a game that feels totally familiar both in the elements we recognise and in the fact that there's far more beyond them. It seems, after you spend so many years espousing the cult of invention above all things, that becomes a religion in itself. Praise be.

4Gamers: 92/100

Super Mario 3D World is nothing revolutionary, but a combination of new and interesting elements make it one of the best platformers out nowadays. Graphically, it is mint and the cat outfit will entice you more than you care to admit. Lack of an online multiplayer gets softened with the addition of online ghosts and obviously, the presence of several other friends on your couch.

Digitalchumps 9.2/10

Super Mario 3D World isn’t Super Mario Galaxy or New Super Mario Bros.; it’s a little bit of both. Under a thick layer of polish and charm, you’ll find yet another top-notch platforming adventure, chocked full of secrets and clever twists and about as challenging as anything Mario has thrown our way thus far. It isn’t groundbreaking or approaching the level of perfection that the Galaxy games did, but if nothing else, it’s a must-have title for Wii U owners, and probably enough to push you over the edge if you’re waiting to buy a system and harbor an appreciation for Nintendo’s platforming contributions.

Polygon 9/10

Super Mario 3D World doesn't reinvent the Mario formula. But it is in every way its own game, with a bright, joyful aesthetic that's supported by inspired level design and a cast that matters. It gets the balance right between nostalgic touches and clever new twists, and never once let me down with a boring boss or too-familiar retread. In all my years of playing with the Mario gang, I've never been quite so happy to hurl myself into the unknown, and 3D World delivers challenge, surprise and joy in almost every moment.

Everyeye 9/10

Kotaku - YES

SM3DW is a fantastic game. Just...fun, from beginning to "end". I had a smile on my face almost the entire time. It's packed with charm from front to back, contains some memorable levels and provides seamless multiplayer fun. If you own a Wii U, congratulations, your wait for a truly special game for the system is over.P

It's just a shame that it couldn't do a better job of evangelising the platform for those still on the sidelines. Then again, if somebody can't get excited about one of the best Nintendo games in years, there's no helping them.

Gamespot 9/10

Sure, co-op play is hardly a game changer, but when so much of 3D World is so successfully built upon a bevy of brilliant ideas, this can be forgiven. Everything that you can see and do within its enchanting levels is so bright, colourful, and full of wonder that it's impossible not to be taken in by its charms. Mario has always had that uncanny ability to cross the boundaries of age and gender, to bring a smile to the face of every player who crosses his path. Super Mario 3D World is no different. This is a dazzlingly inventive game that brings the fun in spades, and will leave you grinning like a loon from start to finish.

Shacknews 9/10

Super Mario 3D World is a tightly-designed platformer, raucously fun in multiplayer, and a master's class in level design. Don't pass it off as just another Mario game. This one is not to be missed.

EDGE 9/10

It seems odd that Nintendo should release a Mariohelmed game at all in a year supposedly devoted to his brother, let alone one that should prove to be Wii U’s best game to date. Yet there is more than fraternal rivalry at stake here. In the same month that its platform holder rivals debut their new hardware, Nintendo has issued a timely reminder that it is games that sell systems, while also setting a new visual benchmark for the most treasured series in gaming. This is Mario like you’ve never seen him before, and unlike so many of his next-gen rivals, he nips along at an effortless 60fps. If the true measure of new hardware’s worth is how stark the difference is between it and what came before, then this is the most next-gen game that 2013 has yet produced.

Metro.co.uk 9/10

If only this had been a launch game instead of New Super Mario Bros. U we can only speculate how the fortunes of the Wii U might have turned out. But it’s demeaning to talk of 3D World merely in terms of how it can help it’s host format. This is a great video game and one of the best to be released all year, no matter what hardware it runs on.

Joystiq 5/5

Put simply, Super Mario 3D World is stunning. Its world is beautiful, its design is impeccable, and its fun is infectious. I'm running out of superlatives here, so let me finish where I started: Go play it.

Jeuxvideo 17/20

Gamer.nl 8.5/10

Escapist 4/5

Perhaps most importantly, while you don't necessarily get a plethora of wholly new sights and sounds, you do get a whole lot of game for your money. There are a lot of levels, a lot of ways to play through them, a lot of secrets to uncover, a whole bonus game (the original arcade Mario Bros reconfigured to star dueling Luigis) embedded in the title screen and... well, I won't spoil, but suffice it to say there's actually quite a bit left to see, do and unlock even after you've "beaten" the game.

#43 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Has a company ever released two games of such high quality on the same day like what Nintendo is doing this friday. Insane.

#44 Posted by CoquiNegro (173 posts) -

I have to give it up for Nintendo. They never seeze to amaze me when it comes to their first party products. I'm still relucant to get a wii u unless more original ip's and games come out. Mario, Zelda etc... are fantastic franchises, but they are what I expect from Nintendo. I want something new.

#45 Edited by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

Highest-rated exclusive of the year is from Nintendo, confirmed? Nintendoes what the competition don't. :P

Edit: My mistake, highest-rated exclusive of the consoles - PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. PC has the amazing game Path of Exile representing one of the computer's staple genres, tied with Super Mario 3D at an outstanding 9.0.

#46 Edited by CoquiNegro (173 posts) -
  1. @iHarlequin: That is untrue. Ni no kuni also got a 9.0. It has been a pretty weak year, overall. I'm surprised, because although some excellent games have come out, very few have been breathtaking.
#47 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

TLOU is the highest rated exclusive of the year at 95 on metacritic.

#48 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

goddamn. Insane reviews. This game looked like a cheap cash-in at E3. Holy crap.

#49 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

1. @iHarlequin: That is untrue. Ni no kuni also got a 9.0. It has been a pretty weak year, overall. I'm surprised, because although some excellent games have come out, very few have been breathtaking.

My bad, completely fell off my radar - and it looks like a game I'd be fond of, to be honest. I still think Nintendo's done well this year, and the tendency is for this to snowball even more with new games in the Zelda, Metroid and DK franchises, along with whatever new IPs they decide to create, or explore more of the IPs established during the Wii (Xenoblade II, for instance).

As to it being a weak year for gaming, I can't say I agree. I've been disappointed with mainstream gaming for almost half a decade, but alternative and indie developers have been consistently showing us great games. Path of Exile, Papers Please, Guacamelee, Monaco, Risk of Rain, Sang-Froid, The Swapper, Brothers, Gone Home, Rogue Legacy and quite a few more that have, for the most part, ingrained the media with something novel. That's not to say I don't think AAA gaming doesn't have its jewels, I just don't see them making the same creative push in gaming that independent games have been doing (in part due to kickstarters, digital distribution and the relative 'easing' of the whole game-making and selling process).

#50 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

@dvader654: I tried using Metacritic here, before. It doesn't work.