Official Sonic Lost World thread of oh no not again

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Release Date: 10/29/13 for US

Well I was really excited for this game. It seemed like the spiritual sequel to Colors which I loved. The last few Sonic games have all been great and this one looked fantastic. Reviews seem to be mixed mostly negative. Please be good...

Reviews:

IGN - 5.8

Mediocre: Sonic Lost World lacks speed, precision and fluidity making it a big step back for the Blue Blur.

+Colourful Look

+Many Alternate Paths

-Poor level design

-lack of speed

-awkward controls

GamesRadar - 4/5

http://www.gamesradar.com/sonic-lost-world-review/

Nintendo Life - 7/10

EDGE - 4

Eurogamer - 4

Joystiq 2.5/5

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/18/so...view-d6947e79/

TheSixthAxis 7/10

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/10/...-world-review/

Gamespot - 5

Polygon - 6

#2 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -

there weren't much of a story imo,even if it does,it's still cannot be as decent as Colours.

taking up the bad review reminds me of the Great 2006 Review of Sonic '06,yet the cause of this isn't from the story

#3 Posted by Metamania (11997 posts) -

After watching the video review for Lost World on Gamespot, I think I'll be sticking with Sonic Generations, which is by far the best Sonic currently. It's amazing really...Lost World is obviously a Mario Galaxy clone that tries a bit too hard and falls flat it seems.

#4 Posted by dannyodwyer (1798 posts) -

It seemed to have a lot of promise, but all I could hear in the office for three days was Mark screaming at the television.

And that dude 100% Mario Galaxy.

#5 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Sonic '06 all over again

#6 Posted by Randolph (10503 posts) -

Well, that's fantastic news for me, in a way. That clears that game off my list and makes room for Deus Ex. I still have reservations about paying a Wii U premium for it, but at least I already know it's a damn good game. Man, that really is too bad, after Colours and Generations Sonic seemed to be well on his way to rehabilitation. Two steps forward, two steps back. Oh well.

#7 Posted by Pedro (21068 posts) -

I am not remotely surprised. Sonic is a high speed game while Mario Galaxy has a casually pace. Trying to make a high speed mario galaxy-esq game was an obvious recipe for disaster.

#8 Posted by Bigboi500 (29691 posts) -

Well tbh the franchise hasn't been great or had respect in a long time, so I wasn't expecting greatness. It should still be worth a rent, at least.

#9 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Sonic '06 all over again

No. 06 practically had all horrible scores, this has quite a few 8s and above.

#10 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22442 posts) -

remember when people were saying this looked better than 3d land? Yeah...

#11 Edited by kbaily (13042 posts) -

I just feel sad. After Colors and Generations got so much right, I felt like this might keep that up and unlike back in the early 2000s after the Dreamcast where they were purposely churning out medicore games for a cash grab, Sega was really trying to make this good. The Escapist review was odd complaining about it being too "old school" which is what I thought we all wanted after all the bad anime melodrama and gimmicks of modern Sonic. I just can't get why after all these years Sega can't make Sonic work well in 3D. Even the best parts of Colors and Generations, still rely on a lot of switching back to 2D. Maybe this was trying too hard to be like Mario but for years Sonic has tried to be like Zelda, God of War, Final Fantasy instead of just trying to be Sonic.

Also for all you Nintendo haters that keep going on about how Nintendo needs to go third party so Mario and Zelda will be on Xbox and Playstation, look at what Sonic's become after the Dreamcast. Do you really want that to happen to Zelda and Mario? Do you really think Nintendo will keep that same high quality going when they no longer have to worry about pushing hardware? This is the fate of Mario and Nintendo franchises if Nintendo stops making hardware.

#12 Posted by Soniczero1993 (35067 posts) -

Fuck reviews, I'm still buying this game.

#13 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

63 on Metacritic currently. That's about the point where the general consensus is less "Mixed" and more "Generally bad with a couple good reviews." A shame, really.

#14 Posted by Randolph (10503 posts) -

@kbaily said:

Also for all you Nintendo haters that keep going on about how Nintendo needs to go third party so Mario and Zelda will be on Xbox and Playstation, look at what Sonic's become after the Dreamcast.

Sonic was starting downhill before Dreamcast ended. The Sonic Adventure games had some serious issues that were overlooked in their prime.

#15 Edited by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -

@Randolph said:

The Sonic Adventure games had some serious issues that were overlooked in their prime.

at that time,Sonic wanted to prove to Mario that he can do the same thing,but it's oversight led to the waste,and since 2005 to 2009,that's where the true downhill drop took time(I never objectionized the OSTs or Sonic Chronicles in those years)

#16 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@kbaily said:

Also for all you Nintendo haters that keep going on about how Nintendo needs to go third party so Mario and Zelda will be on Xbox and Playstation, look at what Sonic's become after the Dreamcast.

Sonic was starting downhill before Dreamcast ended. The Sonic Adventure games had some serious issues that were overlooked in their prime.

I don't see why Nintendo would suddenly turn more incompetent if they had to develop for a system they hadn't designed, but I also doubt that most gamers care about Mario and Zelda.

As for Sonic, the franchise has been in trouble a long time. Only the soft spot many Nintendo fans have in their heads for Sonic keeps the franchise going.

I was once a huge Sega fan (owned most of Sega's hardware, including crap like the 32X) but its long been clear that most of the talent that made Sega great is gone. They still have the franchises but without talent what use is a franchise?

#17 Posted by Metamania (11997 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@kbaily said:

Actually, the original Sonic Adventure was pretty much the best in the series before it went downhill from there.

#18 Posted by MirkoS77 (7358 posts) -

@Pedro said:

I am not remotely surprised. Sonic is a high speed game while Mario Galaxy has a casually pace. Trying to make a high speed mario galaxy-esq game was an obvious recipe for disaster.

Agreed. I never understood why developers believed Sonic would translate well into 3D. It's meant to be 2D. My last favorite Sonic was Sonic DS. Awesome game.

#19 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71397 posts) -

I personally think it looks really good

#20 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

It sucks because I loved Sonic Generations so much. First Sonic game I liked since the Genesis days. Please make more games like that Sega.

#21 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Agreed. I never understood why developers believed Sonic would translate well into 3D. It's meant to be 2D. My last favorite Sonic was Sonic DS. Awesome game.

Sega did this before,remember Sonic Advance 1,2,3?

that's the gold I looked at before Sonic met his misery

#22 Posted by Pffrbt (6555 posts) -

63 on Metacritic currently. That's about the point where the general consensus is less "Mixed" and more "Generally bad with a couple good reviews." A shame, really.

Pretty sure that's generally mediocre with slightly more good reviews than bad.

#23 Edited by Pffrbt (6555 posts) -
#24 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

And there is no game called "Sonic DS".

that was the name used as a prototype for Sonic Rush

#25 Edited by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@1PMrFister said:

Not by video game standards, it isn't. Average reviews for a video game usually translate into about a 75 on Metacritic. Any lower, and it gets into territory where the negatives outweigh the positives. It's arbitrary and silly, but that's normally how scoring works in this medium.

#26 Edited by c_rakestraw (14647 posts) -
@Pffrbt said:
@1PMrFister said:

Not by video game standards, it isn't. Average reviews for a video game usually translate into about a 75 on Metacritic. Any lower, and it gets into territory where the negatives outweigh the positives. It's arbitrary and silly, but that's normally how scoring works in this medium.

Yep. Would be nice it weren't so broken, but what can you do.

#27 Edited by Bigboi500 (29691 posts) -

@c_rakestraw: Lose the nonsensical scores all together, but that will never happen because the industry uses them to boost casual sales and websites heavily rely on them as a gimmick to generate traffic.

#28 Edited by MirkoS77 (7358 posts) -

@Pffrbt: Sure. And there's absolutely no reason MS flight simulator couldn't be done in 2D either.

Sonic Rush is often referred to as Sonic DS as Smash pointed out.

#29 Posted by TAMKFan (32739 posts) -

I still plan to get this. To me, this copying Super Mario Galaxy is a good thing. The fact it's taking inspirations from the cancelled Sonic X-treme also has me interested.

#30 Posted by Randolph (10503 posts) -

@TAMKFan said:

I still plan to get this. To me, this copying Super Mario Galaxy is a good thing. The fact it's taking inspirations from the cancelled Sonic X-treme also has me interested.

I'll still get it too, just not at $59.99

I'll pick it up next January or February for $19.99

#31 Edited by c_rakestraw (14647 posts) -

@Bigboi500: I don't think the numbers are so much of a problem as the people using them. When you look at how Metacritic classifies scores on, say, movies, "mixed reactions" only count on scores between 60-40. Anything higher (61, for example) is counted as positive, whereas anything lower than 40 is counted as negative. So clearly the film critics are doing something right and Metacritic recognizes that. Don't see why games have to be special and drop scores entirely when other mediums can work around them just fine.

The real problem is that most game reviewers don't use the full scale. The majority only goes so far as using 7-10 (maybe 6-10 if you're lucky) instead of the full 1-10 scale. Partly because they keep thinking of it as an allegory to the school system's grading rubric, but also because so many of them also employ a hundred-point scale, which just gives them even less incentive to go any lower than a 6 or 7 at most. If everyone stuck to solid numbers and had people who would ensure the full scale were being used, we wouldn't be in this mess.

#32 Posted by Bigboi500 (29691 posts) -

@Bigboi500: I don't think the numbers are so much of a problem as the people using them. When you look at how Metacritic classifies scores on, say, movies, "mixed reactions" only count on scores between 60-40. Anything higher (61, for example) is counted as positive, whereas anything lower than 40 is counted as negative. So clearly the film critics are doing something right and Metacritic recognizes that. Don't see why games have to be special and drop scores entirely when other mediums can work around them just fine.

The real problem is that most game reviewers don't use the full scale. The majority only goes so far as using 7-10 (maybe 6-10 if you're lucky) instead of the full 1-10 scale. Partly because they keep thinking of it as an allegory to the school system's grading rubric, but also because so many of them also employ a hundred-point scale, which just gives them even less incentive to go any lower than a 6 or 7 at most. If everyone stuck to solid numbers and had people who would ensure the full scale were being used, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Another problem is that there seem to be way too many reviewers for games compared to movie critics. Some of those game reviewers have absurdly weird opinions, are influenced by swag and hype, are simply trolls like Mc Shea who post ridiculous things for reactionary purposes, or are fanboys who rate and judge games in accordance with their favorite game company unlike movie critics (not that they are perfect either). That leaves a lot more open room for abuse of the system.

#33 Edited by Chozofication (2837 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

@Randolph said:

@kbaily said:

I was once a huge Sega fan (owned most of Sega's hardware, including crap like the 32X) but its long been clear that most of the talent that made Sega great is gone. They still have the franchises but without talent what use is a franchise?

Nah, the talent is there but they make asinine development decisions. If they kept on track with Sonic colors and improved that formula, they'd have a winner.

Hell even Sonic Unleashed (wii, dimps did good work and colors was based off a lot in that game) had a good formula, but bad decisions hamper the game a lot.

Generations had great ideas as well but the modern sonic portions of the game sucked.

#34 Edited by King9999 (11835 posts) -

Don't trust reviews.

#35 Posted by c_rakestraw (14647 posts) -

@King9999: I have to wonder how many runs it took to get such perfect footage to juxtapose against the reviewers.

Watching Giant Bomb play it, the game definitely looked like what reviews had been describing. But even they admitted that it's probably a game that you have to spend lots of time struggling with trial and error to finally dash through levels without ever stopping. Seems to be at odds with what Sonic is supposed to be -- why try so hard to slow players down? -- but I haven't cared about Sonic since the Genesis days, so what do I know.

#36 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

If it lets me do some amazing S rank runs I will be happy, but I still need to see how it is.

#37 Posted by Randolph (10503 posts) -

@King9999: I have to wonder how many runs it took to get such perfect footage to juxtapose against the reviewers.

Watching Giant Bomb play it, the game definitely looked like what reviews had been describing. But even they admitted that it's probably a game that you have to spend lots of time struggling with trial and error to finally dash through levels without ever stopping. Seems to be at odds with what Sonic is supposed to be -- why try so hard to slow players down? -- but I haven't cared about Sonic since the Genesis days, so what do I know.

The day time levels of Unleashed are the same way, you have to play them dozens of times and memorize the entire level. I'd prefer to see that person make that same video with footage of someone's first time playing that game and see if it is anywhere near as compelling. (I doubt it)

#38 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I just tried the first world out, uhh what is this?! My first impressions are not good, Sonic feels totally off and slow (and yes I know all the speed boosts). The levels are just so weirdly designed, its not meant for speed, nor is it good for platforming, its lost in a middle ground of meh. I only have done one 2D level but wow was it bad, everything 2D in Unleashed to Colors to Generations is was way better.

Seems to me like the colors don't fit well in the levels, in Colors they flowed so well, you could pick them up and use them in an instant to quickly get around. Here you get the laser wisp and the game freezes, a message pops up, you have to aim then the game stops and an A button appears for no reason. Kills the flow.

How is there no score rank?!?!?! My mind is blown. Time attack is nice but the best runs are not ones where you simply skip as much as the level as you can but ones where you have to master everything, get the most rings and hold them, hit all the score bonues AND get a great time. This is bullshit. That is by far the best part of all 3D sonics.

I already got my first S rank on the first level, yeah you can get into a nice little speed groove but its nothing like getting an S rank in the last few 3D Sonics.

Still have a long way to go but at first play I do not care for the changes.

#39 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150772 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@kbaily said:

They were good games.....didn't like some of the supporting characters...but the games were playable.

#40 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

I hate being one of "those" Sonic fans who scream "biaz" every time a bad review comes out, but I played the WiiU demo at my local Walmart and it played just fine for me. Mainly I just had to get used to Sonic having a run button now but I personally didn't have any control issues. It is vastly different from the "boost to win" gameplay introduced in Sonic Rush that carried over to the last few games. It is more platforming based like Colors. Now in fairness the demo was just the first stage of the game but I had no problem getting speed built up and dashing through areas. Yes you probably won't be able to blast through a stage non stop on your first try but as a previous comment stated, that's common for these recent Sonic games. The idea is that you want to go back to a level and retry it to get a better time or find alternate paths.

Also I get a kick out of the fans who are on this "Sonic Adventure" nostalgia and thinks that Sonic's "too kiddy" now. Guys, Sonic was ALWAYS for kids. You're wanting a game about a blue cartoon hedgehog that fights an egg shaped scientist to be "mature." You have any idea how stupid that sounds. The series tried to be "mature" with Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Next Gen and we all saw how well THAT turned out. Some will mention the Adventure game stories but even those were plagued by terrible writing and bad dialogue. Sonic, like Pokémon and Mario has ALWAYS been for kids. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it but Sonic is a series that should've always been lighthearted with a simple story. You want depth and emotion, there's plenty of "mature" games out there that do that. But wanting a game about colorful, cartoon animals to have furry melodrama is ridiculous.

#41 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150772 posts) -

@kbaily said:

I hate being one of "those" Sonic fans who scream "biaz" every time a bad review comes out, but I played the WiiU demo at my local Walmart and it played just fine for me. Mainly I just had to get used to Sonic having a run button now but I personally didn't have any control issues. It is vastly different from the "boost to win" gameplay introduced in Sonic Rush that carried over to the last few games. It is more platforming based like Colors. Now in fairness the demo was just the first stage of the game but I had no problem getting speed built up and dashing through areas. Yes you probably won't be able to blast through a stage non stop on your first try but as a previous comment stated, that's common for these recent Sonic games. The idea is that you want to go back to a level and retry it to get a better time or find alternate paths.

Also I get a kick out of the fans who are on this "Sonic Adventure" nostalgia and thinks that Sonic's "too kiddy" now. Guys, Sonic was ALWAYS for kids. You're wanting a game about a blue cartoon hedgehog that fights an egg shaped scientist to be "mature." You have any idea how stupid that sounds. The series tried to be "mature" with Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Next Gen and we all saw how well THAT turned out. Some will mention the Adventure game stories but even those were plagued by terrible writing and bad dialogue. Sonic, like Pokémon and Mario has ALWAYS been for kids. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it but Sonic is a series that should've always been lighthearted with a simple story. You want depth and emotion, there's plenty of "mature" games out there that do that. But wanting a game about colorful, cartoon animals to have furry melodrama is ridiculous.

So it's a decent enough game? I'd hate to miss a Sonic game....nostalgia and all.

#42 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

I think it's a decent game but then again I only played a store demo of one stage and to be totally honest I do feel like reviewers are harsher on Sonic because that's the "cool" thing to do like bashing Nintendo. There's a lot of people who rip on Sonic and yet haven't played anything since either the Genesis or Dreamcast era and just go around saying "well the internet says Sonic sucks so that must be true!" There's been several Sonic games that while I'm not going to act like they're the greatest games ever, I do think there were a few that weren't nearly as bad as reviewers said they were.

Sonic Riders despite its dumb story and steep learning curve could be fun especially once you really got the hang of it.

I actually though Shadow's game controlled fine but I hate it more for pandering to the lowest common denominator: aka stupid 13 year olds who think putting guns, cars and bad metal rock in a game makes it "cool."

Sonic and the Black Knight, while definintely not a 3, was still more playable than other games. But I do think giving Sonic a sword felt pointless and the game itself still felt like a half assed cash in to get money off gullible Sonic fans.

Sonic Next Gen is a broken, unplayable mess that tried to do too much, failed at all and had the worst attempt at having an "epic" story ever. The only positive you can take away was it had a decent soundtrack.

So yeah I do think reviews are wrong about Lost World but as I recall as of lately, we've been outraged with just about every Gamespot review. People were mad GTAV got less than a perfect 10. We were mad that David Cage's latest interactive DVD got a 9. Nintendo fans have a fit when a Mario or Zelda game gets lower than a 9. Then old Batman Arkham Origins getting a 6. And how dare GS give that "baby toy" Skylanders Swap Force a 7!! Seriously what was the last GS review that didn't piss off everyone on the stie? And of course GS just uses this as fodder for Feedbackula and throws it back in our faces.

#43 Posted by bob_toeback (11267 posts) -

@kbaily said:

I don't think that's ridiculous at all. I realize Sonic has basically always been like this, but I feel that Sonic has potential to be a rather neat character if they changed him up a bit... not exactly sure how, but I hate how he talks and sounds... maybe if they just got rid of any talk based story scenes, and kept it with cool silent cutrscenes... I don't know >> But I like Sonic either way so whatever

#44 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

Well, that's the thing, Sega lacks good writers. I mean they could've tried to get writers from SatAM or the comics to write a game story and it might work but in the past, most attempts to write any sort of deep narrative for Sonic suffered from terrible writing, poor dialogue and awful translation so I think Sega would rather go back to something goofy and lighthearted because games in general do humor better than drama. Basically unless Sega can thrown down money for some really good writers as well as integrate the story into the gameplay better, it's probably for the best they stick to the current tone they're going for. And as we saw with Metroid: Other M, sometimes trying to change a character can have terrible reprocussions if the fanbase already has embedded how they think the character should be portrayed.

#45 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I played some more of it, its better than my first reactions and so different from any Sonic game. It definetly is going for the more traditional platformer feel. Some levels are spaced out with all sorts of floating enemies, projectiles, secrets, at a quick glance you would think you are looking at galaxy. But the controls just arent spot on like mario and it has an identity crisis. You go from big open areas to 2D sections almost randomly. Some levels are all 2D with more speed oriented approach, not as good as past Sonic games cause they removed the best speed moves from the game. Its this game stuck in the middle of I dont know what, speed and platforming I guess.

I have a feeling there maybe some of you that will like this game a lot more than some of the modern Sonic games. As for me while some of the levels are beautiful and there are moments of Sonic speed zen it's simply not as good as the last few entries.

#46 Posted by Bigboi500 (29691 posts) -

Rented the game last weekend and, ugh, it's almost complete crap. The controls are too loose and the levels are poorly designed. I'm not even sure I'd buy the game at a bargain-bin price. It's just not fun to play, although it does look nice.

#47 Edited by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

I have the game and I enjoyed it so far.

The new Parkour Sonic Style Gameplay needs some refining though.

#48 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -

@sonictrainer: let's just say it's his first try,I honestly became fascinated to his "Parkour" to climb a ledge. To the game itself...I find it as a more comedic than action-packed,the characters bear more comedy than before.

#49 Edited by sonictrainer (15184 posts) -

The Wii U Version of the game just received a major update:

Today, we are pleased to announce that a new patch for the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World will go live soon, and will be available for free download!

This patch adds a number of improvements and changes. Please find the full list of updates below:

Gameplay Updates:

• Collecting 100 rings will now grant the player an extra life.

• In the event of a Game Over, we have doubled the amount of lives the player will begin with when continuing. (From 5 to 10)

• The Indigo Asteroid, Crimson Eagle, Orange Rocket, and Black Bomb Color Powers can now be controlled using the analog stick and buttons.

• Fixed a rare graphical issue that would sometimes appear during the pinball section of the Frozen Factory casino area.

Additional Updates:

• When completing the NiGHTMARE DLC, users will be notified that they can re-play it after scoring 100,000 points.

• Items will now appear on the world map.

We hope you all enjoy the new updates to the game. As always, thank you for your feedback!

#50 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Those changes are huge. Makes a super frustrating game far more tolerable.