Official Resident Evil 6 thread! Camera fix coming soon!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="Gamefan1986"]

I still can't access the demo on US Xbox Live.

I see a giant ad under Games --> Demos on the dashboard that is a pic of Leon and his partner and it says "Resident Evil 6: The demo awaits" but when I click on it it just takes me to a screen that has the option "See Full game", no option to download it, and it isn't listed under Demos --> New Releases either.

Gamefan1986

Gold only.

I was kinda hoping that wasn't the case. I always thought that was dumb, you would think they would want as many people to play demos as possible. Oh well I'm not re-upping my gold sub until I have a real reason to.

It will be out for everyone after the first week.

#52 Posted by Ballroompirate (23030 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Solid your thoughts?dvader654

Am passing on the demos. Will wait for the full game to be disappointed.

OK. I really wanted to see your reaction to the graphics. It seems great in some areas, bad in others and generally not as good as RE5.

Capcom has never really been about graphics, they've had some good looking ones here and there but their engines are usually weak or out dated.

#53 Posted by ultimameteora (2573 posts) -
I guess those dead people haven't transformed into zombies yet, that why I can't kill them before hand.
#54 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18510 posts) -

I just noted the bouncing boobs on both Helena and Sherry. I don't know about you guys, but the way I see it, a zombie game shouldn't try to make me horny.

#55 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

I just noted the bouncing boobs on both Helena and Sherry. I don't know about you guys, but the way I see it, a zombie game shouldn't try to make me horny.

Black_Knight_00

I have to ask...

...did it work?

#56 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18510 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

Grammaton-Cleric

I have to ask...

...did it work?

It's with a certain relief that I answer: no, it didn't
#57 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Am passing on the demos. Will wait for the full game to be disappointed.

Ballroompirate

OK. I really wanted to see your reaction to the graphics. It seems great in some areas, bad in others and generally not as good as RE5.

Capcom has never really been about graphics, they've had some good looking ones here and there but their engines are usually weak or out dated.

RE5 was incredible graphically
#58 Posted by naju890_963 (8954 posts) -

I played some co-op with a friend and found it to be rather bland. We played the Leon campaign which was the best out of the three. I really despised the Chriscampaign, the only interesting thing in it was that gigantic boss that looks alot like the guy from RE4. I'll probably buy it when it gets dirt cheap.

#59 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

After playing the demo I can't believe how average it is. Everything was right for RE5, and RE6 just removed the amazing visuals and solid gunplay for a extra campaigns and god knows what else. So poor, won't be getting it.

#60 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

I seem to be one of the minority that really enjoyed the demo (and is looking forward to RE6 in general). Meaty and satisfying gunplay (far more so than its predecessor) and I'm loving the melee attacks that change depending your surroundings, such as Chris slamming a J'avo's skull into a nearby wall or pitching them off a rooftop, or Jake's wall run and head slam. I may have to turn up the brightness though, and that bit with the car at the end Leon's section felt a bit out of place. In fact I'm sure I've seen that same sequence near the beginning of the latest Alone in the Dark, almost frame for frame.

#61 Posted by Heirren (17324 posts) -
Does it still control like garbage? They've got a good property, good music, and decent visuals--whys the control so bad all the time?
#62 Posted by Archangel3371 (15736 posts) -
Played the demo again and this time I adjusted the brightness and camera speeds, much better. Only a week away now. :D
#63 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Full first post is up detailing all the modes and features including the first reviews we have. This game is going to be stacked with content.
#64 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
New review, PLAY Magazine 88. But it is an early exclusive review.
#65 Posted by Ballroompirate (23030 posts) -

So far looks like a solid game, avg of 8 is what I'm predicting. Too bad people will still call it crap for not being survivor horror and a 9-10 score.

#66 Posted by Archangel3371 (15736 posts) -
I'll be grabbing the Archives Edition for the 360. I'm glad I didn't get the HD versions of Code Veronica and RE4 as this will make for a pretty sweet deal. :D
#67 Posted by Heirren (17324 posts) -
I'll be grabbing the Archives Edition for the 360. I'm glad I didn't get the HD versions of Code Veronica and RE4 as this will make for a pretty sweet deal. :DArchangel3371
I'm not seeing Code Veronica in that...?
#68 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

IGN has a glowing preview where they are 15 hours in which is HALF the game. That is insane! They say the demo is was a terrible look into the game, the full game is far better. Though the camera and controls are the same, that you have to get used to.

People who got the game early are really enjoying it. Seems like a turn around in reaction is happening. :)

#69 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I read somewhere that 600 people worked on this game.

I wouldnt be surprised if it had a 20+ hour campaign. RE5 took me well over 15 hours but thats because my stupid friend kept screwing up the QTEs and the final Wesker boss fight. We lost three hours there.

#70 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Seems like GS is giving the game a 4.5. Someone claims to have seen the score, it was quickly taken down. GS being GS.

VanOrd denies it on twitter but its so believable. :P

#71 Posted by Archangel3371 (15736 posts) -

IGN has a glowing preview where they are 15 hours in which is HALF the game. That is insane! They say the demo is was a terrible look into the game, the full game is far better. Though the camera and controls are the same, that you have to get used to.

People who got the game early are really enjoying it. Seems like a turn around in reaction is happening. :)

dvader654
Awesome. Only a few more days left, can't wait. :D
#72 Posted by Ballroompirate (23030 posts) -

Seems like GS is giving the game a 4.5. Someone claims to have seen the score, it was quickly taken down. GS being GS.

dvader654

Wouldn't surprise me Kevin gave it a low score, after all he's a bad reviewer.

#73 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Well he hates it.

#74 Posted by D3s7rUc71oN (5180 posts) -

not surprising but 4.5? Yikes! I never expected RE6 to be like ORC. Only good thing I see is the content it offers but the gameplay feels generic and too many cutscenes can get frustrating and break the flow of the game.

We'll see what the consensus is.

#75 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

We'll see what the consensus is.

D3s7rUc71oN
The consensus will be that there is no consensus. Guys on gaf playing it say it is all over the place with some great moments, then some weird ones. The gameplay is constantly changing which means you may like one area but hate the next. Personally i am a huge fan of variety so it sounds perfect for me but I can see many hate it.
#76 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Impressions from dusk golem at gaf:

It kind of is, I just wrote an in-depth opinion in the spoiler topic going chapter by chapter, but in my personal opinion I felt the game has very uneven levels of quality throughout, and I think different parts of it will attract different people. I'll just say when they said they were trying to make a game that had elements to 'please everybody', they were not kidding. The flip side to this is chapters designed with other people in mind might not tickle your own personal fancy.

There's moments where this game is slow-paced with jump scares, moments where it's straight-up dudebro action, moments where it's a stealth game... I want to say more but, spoilers.

This variety has it's appeals and disappeals. As a gamer who plays a lot of genres it was really interesting, but my break-down varies from chapter to chapter.If anyone wants to see that, here it is, but be warned there are some pretty big spoilers I mention:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=485

Personally speaking, I like the game a lot.

ALSO, something I should add!

This game has a MUCH better single player experience than RE5. BUT, I also think this will be a REALLY fun game in co-op. From what I played locally recently (my copy arrived~) and have seen, this game is actually a really good co-op game. Somehow, the variety and continuous twists of expectations makes it pretty fun with friends. Weird, I know.

#77 Posted by KHAndAnime (13875 posts) -

Well he hates it.

dvader654
That's ****ing hilarious.
#78 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

Wow. A 4.5? Jesus...

#79 Posted by Ballroompirate (23030 posts) -

Well he hates it.

dvader654

Meh he's biased on a lot of things, sometimes I wonder if he even plays the game. He gave GW2 a 9 which was pretty buggy (still a fun game), specially the class he played which was a necro they had huge pet AI problems and bugs.

I find it funny though he criticizes famitsu for scoring it high which they aren't the only ones who have scored it high with a 7-9 score, then there's his a 4.5 score...that's a 3.5 point difference on the avg reviews. Plus it still pisses me off when he bluntly admitted to wanting to score games a lot lower (his words were "harsher" but I find it unlikely).

#80 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Well he hates it.

Ballroompirate

Meh he's biased on a lot of things, sometimes I wonder if he even plays the game. He gave GW2 a 9 which was pretty buggy (still a fun game), specially the class he played which was a necro they had huge pet AI problems and bugs.

I find it funny though he criticizes famitsu for scoring it high which they aren't the only ones who have scored it high with a 7-9 score, then there's his a 4.5 score...that's a 3.5 point difference on the avg reviews. Plus it still pisses me off when he bluntly admitted to wanting to score games a lot lower (his words were "harsher" but I find it unlikely).

Which is true, he calls Dark Souls a masterpiece and yet, the game is very hard and also has slowdown in Blightown, so I don't see how it is a masterpiece when it has a few problems of its own.

I figured that a lot of people would be rating Resident Evil 6 high, because well, it's Resident Evil. That includes GS as well, but it seems like Kevin has been assigned to review the game and if he hates it, then he does. But that won't affect my opinion on when I play it and feel it for myself. Reviews NEVER mattered to me and my purchases in the grand scheme of things.

#81 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Well he hates it.

Metamania

Which is true, he calls Dark Souls a masterpiece and yet, the game is very hard and also has slowdown in Blightown, so I don't see how it is a masterpiece when it has a few problems of its own.

I figured that a lot of people would be rating Resident Evil 6 high, because well, it's Resident Evil. That includes GS as well, but it seems like Kevin has been assigned to review the game and if he hates it, then he does. But that won't affect my opinion on when I play it and feel it for myself. Reviews NEVER mattered to me and my purchases in the grand scheme of things.

I fail to see why Dark Souls should be penalized for being difficult. I understand that it makes it inaccessible for some people, but really?

With that said, the game doesn't even remotely deserve the 9.5 score, and it's one of my favorites of the generation. The online play is just poorly integrated compared to Demon's Souls, the slow down in areas (especially Blight Town) is downright unacceptable, and there's consistent input lag in a game that demands precision. Ridiculous that it got a 9.5 here when it has such glaring technical issues.

So yeah, I agree with you. If RE6 gets low reviews I'll still be buying it anyway, but hey I called it earlier in the year: RE: Revelations was going to be the best RE of the year.

#82 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Well he hates it.

dvader654

Fair enough, but the third tweet accurately describes the last few levels of MGS4... oh wait. Not saying they are identical, only saying the complaint taken at face value is odd because MGS4 had that shlt in spades, yet it was a game for the ages. *snort*

#83 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Ballroompirate

They're all bad as authoritative sources. I don't pay attention to them usually, and when I do it's usually for comic relief.

#84 Posted by Planeforger (15794 posts) -
Honestly, I'm not sure if I care about reviews on this one. If it's as hilariously stupid as the last few games, I'll probably be picking this one up, 4.5 or not.
#85 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

I think it's pretty obvious this game is going to polarize 2 sides here, the RE die hards are going to bash it and give it low reviews (GS probably will they've been pretty weird since start of year) and the people who go into knowing it's a fun action romp with some tense parts will have a blast with it. I don't believe this game can be a 4.5 because it won't have glaring AI issues, bad level design, bad graphics, bad voice overs and bad controls. I just think some people won't see it as a true "RE horror" so will grade it poorly based on that alone. Which is stupid. Edit: Yay 7400 posts!

#86 Posted by Planeforger (15794 posts) -

I don't believe this game can be a 4.5 because it won't have glaring AI issues, bad level design, bad graphics, bad voice overs and bad controls.immortality20

Hm, yeah - from what I've seen of the demo, it's fully functional, looks pretty, and plays smoothly. That alone should put the game in at least the 6 or 7 territory, based on other reviews from this site.

Plus it certainly looks far better than Raccoon City, which got a 4.5, so...eh, who knows.

#87 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Ballroompirate

Kevin VanOrd is probably the best reviewer GS has, and I wouldn't be surprised if he or someone else gave it 4.5/10 because it looks very average. Anyone who enjoyed RE4 and RE5 should know that.

#88 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18510 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Venom_Raptor

Kevin VanOrd is probably the best reviewer GS has, and I wouldn't be surprised if he or someone else gave it 4.5/10 because it looks very average. Anyone who enjoyed RE4 and RE5 should know that.

From the demo it looked like a 6/10 game to me, mostly due to the silly punch'em gameplay and a shocking lack of attention to detail. I'm actually surprised about this 4.5 though. If it's confirmed I would tip my hat at Van Ord for not giving the game a free pass due to the title. Hopefully we're not looking at the outset of another gerstmann-gate.
#89 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Well he hates it.

Shame-usBlackley

Fair enough, but the third tweet accurately describes the last few levels of MGS4... oh wait. Not saying they are identical, only saying the complaint taken at face value is odd because MGS4 had that shlt in spades, yet it was a game for the ages. *snort*

In fact a lot of the impressions I have read on gaf describe MGS4, like the total switching of gameplay focus at times. Which means I will love it! :P
#90 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

lol Please Kevin, rate it 4.5 I beg you!

We need this place to explode.

#91 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18510 posts) -

S0lidSnake
I kinda wish for that too. Does that make me a bad person?
#92 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

IndianaPwns39

I fail to see why Dark Souls should be penalized for being difficult. I understand that it makes it inaccessible for some people, but really?

With that said, the game doesn't even remotely deserve the 9.5 score, and it's one of my favorites of the generation. The online play is just poorly integrated compared to Demon's Souls, the slow down in areas (especially Blight Town) is downright unacceptable, and there's consistent input lag in a game that demands precision. Ridiculous that it got a 9.5 here when it has such glaring technical issues.

So yeah, I agree with you. If RE6 gets low reviews I'll still be buying it anyway, but hey I called it earlier in the year: RE: Revelations was going to be the best RE of the year.

Even if Dark Souls is well-praised by its difficulty, it's also scaring people away from it, thus making people not buy the game. I believe the creator admitted this awhile back in an interview and even said something about possibly making the game easier by including an easier difficulty so that people can enjoy the game more. I know the difficulty itself is what attracted people to it, but it is scaring people off and that's not a good thing at all. One of the other reasons I stopped playing Dark Souls a long time ago is I don't like people invading your world and doing whatever they want, but I'll have to go back to it soon, due to how you can just play it offline and no one will be able to get in. But I'll wait until they release a better edition of sorts on consoles, like how they did for PC. And yes, I used to own, but decided to trade it in after I died way too much and thus wasn't getting any fun by doing so.

As for Resident Evil, believe it or not, Resident Evil 5, despite a few problems with it (awkward controls, camera not working out a lot in some areas), was a decent Resident Evil game. But if RE6 turns out to be nothing more but a movie with QTE everywhere, then count me out. I'd rather play a game then watch a movie or do a lot of QTE.

#93 Posted by c_rakestraw (14716 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Black_Knight_00

Not at all. It's only natural, really.

Even if Dark Souls is well-praised by its difficulty, it's also scaring people away from it, thus making people not buy the game. I believe the creator admitted this awhile back in an interview and even said something about possibly making the game easier by including an easier difficulty so that people can enjoy the game more. I know the difficulty itself is what attracted people to it, but it is scaring people off and that's not a good thing at all. One of the other reasons I stopped playing Dark Souls a long time ago is I don't like people invading your world and doing whatever they want, but I'll have to go back to it soon, due to how you can just play it offline and no one will be able to get in. But I'll wait until they release a better edition of sorts on consoles, like how they did for PC. And yes, I used to own, but decided to trade it in after I died way too much and thus wasn't getting any fun by doing so.Metamania

And that's a problem because...?

Dark Souls was meant to appeal to a niche audience from the outset. Obviously From Software isn't worried about sales, because otherwise it and Demon's Souls would have never been greenlit. Removing the difficulty would be removing those games' identities. Without that perceived insurmountable challenge, they'd just be another fantasy hack-'n-slash game.

Besides, that comment on the easy mode thing was a mistranslation. Real quote was hinting at ways to get more people to play those games without sacrificing their core elements.

#94 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18510 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

c_rake

Not at all. It's only natural, really.

<

I see. Gotta try harder then
#95 Posted by JustPlainLucas (74181 posts) -
What's all this talk about 4.5?
#96 Posted by c_rakestraw (14716 posts) -

What's all this talk about 4.5?JustPlainLucas

See below.

Well he hates it.

dvader654

#97 Posted by JustPlainLucas (74181 posts) -

Oh shi t Haha. Well, from what I saw back at E3, I wouldn't be surprised.

#98 Posted by JayQproductions (1685 posts) -

after playing the demo, I have no interest in the game which sucks because I've played just about every Resident Evil and it was one of my favorite franchises until RE5. If the entire game was Leon's campaign it would be a much better game but the other 2 campaigns are just to action focused and the controls are extremely akward.

#99 Posted by kaealy (1466 posts) -
I guess the review was pulled because someone higher up thought it could get the site bad press, can't anger the bigger publishers right?
#100 Posted by JustPlainLucas (74181 posts) -
I guess the review was pulled because someone higher up thought it could get the site bad press, can't anger the bigger publishers right? kaealy
I heard something about an embargo?