Official MGS Ground Zeroes thread of yes its really short.

#1 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

On March 18th we get the first small part of MGS5, a teaser if you will.

Retail version is $30 for both generations.

Digital is $30 on One and PS4 and $20 for PS3 and 360.

GROUND ZEROES IS NOT A FULL GAME.

Pretend this is the tanker section of MGS2, its the prologue section but this game has way more content than just a demo. There is a large base to explore and mess around with. After the main mission which is about 2 hours in length there are 5 other side missions. Also secrets and leaderboards to mess with.

Basically this game is for the MGS fans, if all you like is the story don't bother. If you plan to play around in the base for hours and hours then it is time to get excited.

So here is what the game looks like on all systems

Reviews should be hitting today. All previews are glowing. The gameplay seems to be the best the series has ever seen.

So yeah new Metal Gear!!!!!!! WOOOOOOO!!!

#2 Posted by kingcrimson24 (468 posts) -

Some of friends on Facebook have already played it . actually one of them got the game and gave it to others to play it ( on xbox 360 ) . they said its 4 hours at max .

I was going to buy it because its Metal Gear solid after all , but i just asked one of them to tell me what happens in this demo . and looks like if you don't play it you don't miss anything important . it just tells you how Big boss goes to coma .

#3 Posted by blangenakker (2393 posts) -

TC doesn't mind if I post an interview of Kojima about this game?

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13685 posts) -

Setting the Price aside and not being an MGS veteran, I've been liking what Ive been hearing so far.

#5 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@blangenakker: go ahead

#6 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4878 posts) -

I will You-Tube it and save myself the money, then play the real thing when it comes out. I want to know the plot as i've played all the MGS up to now but I don't support such bad value for my money.

#7 Posted by Metamania (12018 posts) -

I was really thinking about pre-ordering the game today and then picking it up, then realized; what's the point? It's only a game that spans about four hours. If Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes were coming out TOGETHER, I would have re-considered. But I'll wait until MGS TPP comes out, then pick up both games and play them in order.

#8 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Can.not.wait.

#9 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

Famitsu review gave it a 38/40. I am still on the fence because of the price point and length of the game.

#10 Posted by Archangel3371 (15743 posts) -

I'm so looking forward to getting this. New MGS on new systems voiced by Keifer Sutherland = instabuy.

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13685 posts) -

@ Areez

Aren't Famitsu reviews in Japanese ?

I'd like to read it and see where the reviewer got bribed but I can't read Japanese, is Japanese even the name of the language. Doesn't seem likely.

#12 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16793 posts) -

I can understand people being upset about the extreme milkage that Kojima is doing, but people also seem to forget that other games are still priced highly and around barely a few hours long. for instance, Journey. Game's like, what, fifteen bucks on consoles? It's also only two hours long at most and really does not have a ton of replay value, but that game was jerked off to no end. It kind of baffles me that people get upset about Ground Zeroes but not something like Journey.

And you can't say that "Journey's gameplay was actually good" because if we're basing it solely on gameplay, Ground Zeroes looks awesome. And really, let's do the math. 15 bucks for Journey for 2 hours of content. 30 bucks for Ground zeroes for 4 hours of content. That's the exact same value; 7.50 per hour of gameplay.

#13 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18523 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Pretend this is the tanker section of MGS2

Bollocks: the MGS2 demo cost $60 but at least came with a free game (Zone of the Enders)

#14 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

I can understand people being upset about the extreme milkage that Kojima is doing, but people also seem to forget that other games are still priced highly and around barely a few hours long. for instance, Journey. Game's like, what, fifteen bucks on consoles? It's also only two hours long at most and really does not have a ton of replay value, but that game was jerked off to no end. It kind of baffles me that people get upset about Ground Zeroes but not something like Journey.

And you can't say that "Journey's gameplay was actually good" because if we're basing it solely on gameplay, Ground Zeroes looks awesome. And really, let's do the math. 15 bucks for Journey for 2 hours of content. 30 bucks for Ground zeroes for 4 hours of content. That's the exact same value; 7.50 per hour of gameplay.

I agree entirely.

I like a good long game, but sometimes quality trumps quantity and in this case I'm excited to play Ground Zeroes just to see what's new to the MGS formula. I probably would have paid $30 for the MGS2 tanker level because it was fun to play over and over. This looks fairly similar.

#15 Posted by platinumking320 (667 posts) -

Id like to translate Konami's messaging on behalf of this game and everything we've seen from them so far ala 'Luther' from comedy central's Key & Peele

We're are a Goddamn loooooooooooonnng way off from finishing This Phantom Pain mothafucka okay? But with the way games the gaming community landscape is changing. We gotta keep up SOME appearances, before the whole thing drops and the entire damn market is off teabagging online or playing some city builder and could give two shits about us.

...ohh and see you in 2015....maybe.

#16 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

Tell me thats not slow mo in that Gif. Oh boy, don't do it Kojima.

#17 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2604 posts) -

I find it kind of odd people are complaining about the price. If we're paying 60$ for 8 hour games, why is paying 30$ for a 4 hour game unacceptable?

#18 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

So I leave town tomorrow so i have to finish this game tonight, which isnt a problem since it is so short. So I will be doing a full live stream of my playthrough tonight if you want to watch the entire story mode.

Spoiler tag all story discussions please.

#19 Edited by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Guys we get to play (a tiny piece of) a NEW METAL GEAR GAME IN TEN MINUTES!!!!!

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

#20 Posted by blangenakker (2393 posts) -

This video should hopefully answer people's questions about the existence of this game

http://normalboots.com/video/metal-gear-solid-v-hideo-kojima-interview-special-didyouknowgaming-vgfacts/

#21 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2746 posts) -

Can you make Snake puke? I remember in MGS3 i would knock the guards unconscious and then proceed into puking on them.I had so much fun that i spent days just messing around with the guards(especially in grozny grad)

If i could do some of that stuff here i could spend hundreds of hours on this.

#22 Edited by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Credits are rolling (who knew it took this many people to make a demo :P ). Gameplay seems like a lot of fun but I had little time to really mess around. The controls take some getting used to, I was always pressing the wrong button to do things. Shooting feels a little better than MGS4 but its about the same. Animations seem to be taken from MGS3, its really jarring in a game that looks this good. Vehicles are a blast.

New mechanics like tagging work well, the environment is so huge that its needed to keep track of everyone. Just wait till you are in between tents and you cant see a thing, you will feel so vulnerable. The reflex mode is a life saver, cant tell you how many times I had no clue someone saw me from behind or the side. Even though you get a small window if you have the wrong weapon out you are screwed. I like what they did with search lights and how light matters in general.

I hate what they have done with the codec, it started with kind of taking away the fun of it with MGS4, now its just a tutorial it seems. From the little I played it seems to be missing all the funny humor you get from noticing or doing odd little things. That is what scares me the most, that the little details will go missing for a big giant game. Oh and what is with interrogations having no voices?

The story is mostly pointless, Boss hardly even talks. I cant even tell you how Sutherland is, he has like 10 lines. The main mission took me 77 minutes and I was doing terrible with all sorts of messing around. I think 77 minutes does not include restarts cause it was more like 1 hour 40 minutes total time for me.

I wont be able to get into the meat of the game till later in the week as I leave out of town. Seems to have a ton of stuff to unlock.

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13685 posts) -

The Reviews are all bitching about the price. Is that fair ? That doesn't seem fair.

#24 Edited by MirkoS77 (7627 posts) -

Picked this up after I decided to use my preorder from Yoshi's Island on this instead. Below will have some minor gameplay spoilers, but nothing that hasn't been shown in videos.

The good stuff:

Firstly, the game's gorgeous (playing on PS4). Foxteam knows their shit when it gets technical......their engines and attention to detail are always outstanding (which is why the story being so stupid and poorly written is such a drag, but I digress). Textures and lighting are amazing. What I'm most impressed on are the controls. Past MGS games have always felt very "clunky" to me, like each individual mechanic was segmented from the other. Now It all flows smoother and is far more efficient. Being able to bring up the binoculars with just the touch of a button, for example, is wonderful change.

CQC is easier and more satisfying (awesome GIF Vad) and being able to set traps by instructing guards you're holding hostage to call out to bring their buddies near for an ambush is a blast. And despite my fears I really am warming to reflex mode, especially in close with two or more enemies. It's also neat to see the AI reacting to lights being shot out: "someone's firing, they must be using suppressed weapons! Going on alert!". As I can tell, the AI is a bit better and doesn't seem so predictable.

As for the negatives:

I don't like the auto-tag when zooming in on troops; this should be optional, even on normal. I find knowing where everyone is completely robs the game of all tension. The price is also a bit much. $10-15 would be perfect for this but $30's pushing it. The gunplay is unsatisfactory but I lay this fault more at Naughty Dog's feet than Kojima. After the impeccable gun-modelling in TLoU, nothing compares anymore. Kiefer.....eh. Haven't heard enough to make a good judgement. I think he has the potential but he needs to up the volume and intensity. Finally, I can already tell the narrative is going to be more ludicrously absurd convoluted sewage like the past games. Such is the curse of Hideo believing he's a capable writer. But if what he says is true and the cutscenes are way toned down (and I can TRY to follow the story while still playing through the tapes) I'll be happy.

All in all- for a MGS fan I'd say this is worth it. It has me very excited for V simply from a gameplay perspective. Here's just hoping I'm able to play more than watch.

#25 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

The Reviews are all bitching about the price. Is that fair ? That doesn't seem fair.

Sure it's fair. Not every game has to be 8+ hours long. But, if in their opinion the game's content & experience do not match the price, then I would say they have every right to upset about it. From what I have seen so far from gameplay and reviewers, I would not pay $30 for the amount of content the game delivers. I am not saying it is bad game, though.

#26 Posted by MirkoS77 (7627 posts) -

Dvader, aha!

Behold, MiamiWesker! Nowhere to hide.

Mwuuuahaha!!

#27 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

Reviews are coming in. IGN gave it an 8/10.

#28 Posted by Metamania (12018 posts) -

Gamespot also gave it an 8 out of 10.

#29 Edited by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@MirkoS77: yes that is me.

I expect more impressions later. I will say the scenarios that play out are amazing. I got caught with Paz between a tank and a bunch of shoulders so I had to figure out ways to get around it. Some failures involved me getting into another tank and having a tank battle. Or I got Paz into a truck but the tank spotted me and that ended quickly. There is so many options it's amazing.

#30 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

review roundup

holy f*ckin' sh*t. i never thought i'd see the day. a big game (it doesn't get much bigger than MGS) is being reviewed by major gaming sites and getting a diverse reaction from all of them. some are praising it, others feel it's okay, others feel it's pretty bad, and there's no homogenous consensus about its quality. this just about never happens. *clap*

#31 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

I just had to laugh out loud at the short length. what a waste of money.

and, yes, length of gameplay is a valid component of any game review.

#32 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament: only cause the length, it will rub people the wrong way. The quality of the gameplay is universally loved.

#33 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
@dvader654 said:

@LoG-Sacrament: only cause the length, it will rub people the wrong way. The quality of the gameplay is universally loved.

the length is certainly part of it. however, some reviews are praising it for having fewer cut-scenes while others are saying that same trait makes it unsatisfying. reviewers seem to be generally liking the mechanics but a few of them were wishing for more diverse level design (and, of course, others like the idea of playing the same area multiple times and having very different experiences). it seems like a pretty diverse reaction even without the idea of what constitutes a $30 game.

#34 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament: cutscenes and having more locations all fall into the length. It is just one base with two cutscenes. That's the whole main game.

#35 Posted by HipHopBeats (2904 posts) -

I think Ground Zereos is a pretty cool pretty cool play through for MGS fans with plenty of replay value. Hell, TLOU Left Behind DLC is half the price with practically no replay value and takes up way more GB's. My favorite part was Paz and her vagina bomb! Straight sinister shit that had me cracking up. I'm definitely looking forward to Phantom Pain.

#36 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

@LoG-Sacrament: cutscenes and having more locations all fall into the length. It is just one base with two cutscenes. That's the whole main game.

cut-scenes don't really have much to do with length. i mean, nobody was calling MGS4 too long. they were saying that they didn't like the ratio of cut-scenes to gameplay and how segmented those 2 parts were. in the same way, eurogamer isn't praising the game for being short; they are praising it (in part) for focusing more on gameplay than cut-scenes.

the complaint about wanting more locations isn't necessarily about being too short either. if anything, the gameinformer reviewer wanted to spend less time in camp omega. to quote GI on the issue of length "Short games are not bad. Quality isn’t about price or how long a game takes to complete. It's about how well the game uses the time it has, and that’s where Ground Zeroes stumbles."

#37 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament: I understand that I am just saying the reason it is just one location is cause all we are getting is essentially a tiny piece of a larger game. Kojima didn't design this to have multiple locations. The game is literally "mess around in this one base the game" I would think everyone understands that going in.

I guess it's one of those things of expectations versus reality. I think it was made clear what this game is so if you expect more then yeah you shouldn't buy it. What they should have done is add more side quests.

#38 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

@LoG-Sacrament: I understand that I am just saying the reason it is just one location is cause all we are getting is essentially a tiny piece of a larger game. Kojima didn't design this to have multiple locations. The game is literally "mess around in this one base the game" I would think everyone understands that going in.

I guess it's one of those things of expectations versus reality. I think it was made clear what this game is so if you expect more then yeah you shouldn't buy it. What they should have done is add more side quests.

i'm not critiquing or praising the game. i haven't played it, although i don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a shorter game. i just thought the overall critical reception was interesting. sometimes you see a lot of differing opinions from smaller websites. sometimes you see that sort of reaction from bigger sites for niche downloadable games. however, i can't remember seeing such a diverse reaction from bigger sites for a big game like MGS.

but again, i'm not saying the game is bad or awesome or that it looks bad or awesome.

#39 Posted by Jag85 (4622 posts) -

They should have just packed it with a game, like how MGS2 came with Zone of the Enders. They could have even packed it with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, and a lot of fans would have got it just to play this MGS5 demo.

#40 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

People need to stop being so ignorant and know the difference between a game and a demo. Ground Zero is a $30 game, not a glorified demo. A demo is a limited "section" of a game where you're given a glimpse of what the actual game may be like with limited functions, settings ect ect and have 0 REPLAYABILITY!!!

#41 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

I am about 15 hours in, I have S-ranked 3 missions. I have cleared two trials, one I am 36th place. I just unlocked the hidden mission (finding those XOF patches is impossible, had to look it up). I have yet to even try hard mode yet. I am still trying to find all the hidden objectives in each mission. I still need to do the trophy objective for a few.

Clearly I love the gameplay, its the best Metal Gear has ever been. Sneaking just feels right, organic. One of my biggest complaints about the series is that since MGS2 you can just tranq everyone easily and get by that way, well in this game its not so easy. Having a large area with patrols all over changes all that. Plus having no radar and no camo forces you to sneak like a normal person would, avoid sight lines, stay behind cover, etc.

The base does get tiring after a while. I know the base by heart already and soon I will know the placement of every guard. There is no way around the demo feel, as fun as it is it can't replace the feel of a full MGS game. I also fear the vehicle battles as the tank fight in this game is EXACTLY like Peace Walker. You run around in circles firing rockets at it until it blows up. That was fun the first few times in PW, but after the 50th vehicle mission I never wanted to fight a tank that way again. MGSV needs a more unique vehicle battles, like the tank battle in MGS1.

#42 Edited by Arthas045 (5257 posts) -

Reminds me I need to try and find a copy of The Legacy Collection....

#43 Edited by Byshop (11661 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@dvader654 said:

Bollocks: the MGS2 demo cost $60 but at least came with a free game (Zone of the Enders)

LOL

I dig the new one. For $20 to $30 it seems like a reasonable amount of content to me. The one thing I don't like about the new system is the inconsistency around knocking guards out. I thought it was a bug at first that some of the guards that I would knock out would appear back in their patrol positions until I read in the manual that sometimes they wake up. Still, I would see instances where a guard I knocked out would return to his patrol without sounding the alarm, which seems wrong. In the old games it was consistent. At normal difficulty, CQC knockouts would wake up after a few minutes whereas tranqued guards would stay out. That no longer seems to be the case, and tranquing a CQC knocked out guard to keep him out seems to have no effect.

-Byshop

#44 Edited by davidhin (6 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: @kingcrimson24: mgs5 ground zeroes is only a tech demo it's not an actual game

#45 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@dvader654 said:

LOL

I dig the new one. For $20 to $30 it seems like a reasonable amount of content to me. The one thing I don't like about the new system is the inconsistency around knocking guards out. I thought it was a bug at first that some of the guards that I would knock out would appear back in their patrol positions until I read in the manual that sometimes they wake up. Still, I would see instances where a guard I knocked out would return to his patrol without sounding the alarm, which seems wrong. In the old games it was consistent. At normal difficulty, CQC knockouts would wake up after a few minutes whereas tranqued guards would stay out. That no longer seems to be the case, and tranquing a CQC knocked out guard to keep him out seems to have no effect.

-Byshop

Tranqued guards always woke up after some time in past MGS games. Also remember if a guard sees a sleeping guard they will wake him up.

#46 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18523 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Tranqued guards always woke up after some time in past MGS games. Also remember if a guard sees a sleeping guard they will wake him up.

Which is stupid: if you have anesthetic running though your veins, a guy shaking you won't make it go away :P

#47 Posted by Byshop (11661 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@dvader654 said:

Which is stupid: if you have anesthetic running though your veins, a guy shaking you won't make it go away :P

Yeah, that thought occurred to me too. :)

@dvader654, if I remember correctly they would stay out indefinitely so long as you stayed in the same zone (i.e. prompt a loading screen). If you knocked them out with any form of CQC, they'd wake up after a fixed amount of time per "star" that you put over their heads, but if you tranqed them they stayed out so long as you didn't leave the zone. On hard, however, they woke up after a bit even if you didn't leave.

Granted, it's been a long time so maybe I'm wrong.

-Byshop