Official LittleBigPlanet 2 thread of dreaming a little bigger darling.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

http://www.sacktastic.com/sackboy-journal/helloworld/LBP2%20Banner%202.jpg

Imagine a world where anything is possible. Where your dreams can become reality. Where you can create a new world and share it with friends, even play with them. Imagine a world where developer and player are one in the same.

This is LittleBigPlanet.

Release Date : Jan. 18th

Normal Edition MSRB - $60

http://api.ning.com/files/*XwCH*TrVB*bX6it1oHe4mhrL7e98CkKNP*fcOCX20AYyOfLb*5GBA-7*zq9JWK8p2G0Vd9MUkuf4jGVvCcghfNpRS3WzriT/littlebigplanet2_cover_art1291325483.jpg

Special Edition MSRB - $80

http://www.wouldyoukindly.com/wp-content/uploads/littlebigplanet2ce.jpg

Story Mode:

• More levels, 50+, double the first game
  • Exciting new powerups and gadgets add tons of variety
  • Hours of fun in new multiplayer challenges

http://cdn1.gamepro.com/article_img/gamepro/217758-1.jpg?rand=6A6F709F-C472-B3FF-A651FA46758E9024

Powerups:

• Grappling Hook - I think this is self-explanatory, can you imagine what kind of levels will be made with it.

http://cdn.gamefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/LBP2.jpg

• Bounce Pads - In LBP1 it took an engineering degree to firgure out how to make a sping or bounce pad, now its a standard part of the game. Get ready to bounce around like a famous blue hedgehog.

• Creatinator - A helmet which shoots out ANYTHING. You can make it shoot out missles, cakes, foam, ice, lasers, pidgeons that fire lasers, ninjas, ninjas that ride pidgeons that fire lasers.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9272/aphoto3.jpg

• Power Gloves - Special gloves that allow Sackboy to lift large objects and carry them around, great for puzzles.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc24/SabakunoGaara22/VideoBreakdown20.png

• Sackbots - Give them AI or make them become vehicles for Sack to control, sackbots allow you to create an army of NPCs.

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/190697-headarz.jpg

• Controllinator - The big one. This allows you to make a vehicle or robot that you can control and map actions to the PS3 controller. You may give the robot new jump physics and powers which totally alter the controls.

http://www.littlebigplanetgalaxy.com/wp-content/plugins/random-image-gallery-with-fancy-zoom/random-gallery/01.jpg

Create Mode:

• More tools than ever before to make the kind of game you want to make.
  • Easier to use tools, no more million switches to make a door that opens.
  • Have multi-switch, large complex mechanisms put on a small microchip. These microchips can be shared throughout the community.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/8/88859/1376615-lbp2_microchips_super.jpg

• A full music sequencer to make your own music and levels where actions are tied to the music

http://www.littlebigplanetgalaxy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/screen-capture-25.jpg

Community Levels:

Make almost anything you want in a wide variety of genres. Here is just a small sample of levels made in the beta

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/games/1/14/13153/thumb_620x2000/moddb_beta2.PNG

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/little_big_planet_2_pac_man.jpg

http://badasspanda.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/flow.png

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/wolfenstein-3d-lbp2.jpg

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Daily/2010/12-Dec/20/LBP2%20FFVII/lbp2-ffvii--article_image.jpg

http://www.daviddino.com/lbp2craft03.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/6/19/1276982606043/LBP2_-_3D_Shooter1_psd_jpgcopy.gif

How do I find levels?

I know that finding levels was a pain in the first game. Now Media Molecule is making it easier to track the best levels. LBP2 has a reworked search engine and ranking system to make the best levels easier to find.

There is also a new website, LBP.ME, which acts like the facebook of LBP2 where you can que up levels you find for quick access when you are in the game.

http://www.ps3blog.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/lbpme-announce-lrg.jpeg

Another great site is LittleBigPlanet Central, a site which has been spotlighting the best user levels for years now. Use this site and LBP.me and you will always have excellent levels to play.

Reviews:

EuroGamer 9

IGN 9

Gamepro - 5/5

Game Informer - 9.5

1up - A-

NowGamer 10

Edge - 9

CVG 9.4

GamesTM 10

Games.cz 10

Meristation 9.5

Joystick 5/5

Gamingbolt 10

Sixthaxis 9

Gamereactor 9

IncGamers 8.5

#2 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
Sweet! I was thinking to myself earlier that it was about time for you to make this thread.:D
#3 Posted by F1Lengend (7906 posts) -
I've got this puppy paid and ready to go. Bring. It. On. Dvader is back making threads, all is right in this world.
#4 Posted by orion_52 (595 posts) -

Really looking forward to this one. I'm glad I missed out on the beta this time...I must have played the lbp beta for 40 hours and kind of got burned out before release.

#5 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

After putting countless hours into the beta (and LBP1 before that), I am really looking forward to LBP2 (I have the special edition preordered on Amazon). Its a shame all the beta levels are being wiped due to a nasty bug which allowed people to steal other people's work because some of the beta levels are insanely brilliant but after the lengthy testing cycle I hope LBP2 will hit bug free.

It will be interesting to see if the beta creators initially recreate their old levels or create new ones. As with the original, I am going to dive into MM's levels before experiencing those of the community. Its the community that gives LBP its infinitely long legs, but MM is a great level crafter and their levels I played in the beta and the demo were extremely fun.

Despite the quality of the beta levels, I know it didn't have all the textures and I suspect it didn't have all the tools of the final game (also, sackbots are a bit more limited than they were in some of the vids MM has shown) so I suspect that the full game will be so much richer than the demosome creators will choose to start from scratch. Still, for the sake of people that never played it, I hope the Kevin Butler fighting game (more of a beat'em up to be honest) is recreated. Fun, hilarious stuff.

#6 Posted by Phantom_Leo (7090 posts) -

May it be...

Everything you...

Hoped for...

! ! !

:P

#7 Posted by KG86 (6021 posts) -

I hope Stephen Fry lends his voice for the tutorial again. Stephen Fry makes everything better.

#8 Posted by Phantom_Leo (7090 posts) -

From IGN.Com's 9.0 Review:

"There's no denying that LittleBigPlanet 2 is an amazing game. It's fun, clever, deep, engaging and great to try out with friends. The only issue is that some of the same frustrations from the last game are still present. Still, the ability to make games and not just levels outweighs any con. Even if you just want to play and never create, the fight to Ace every level, find every prize and earn every pin is going to keep you very busy -- and that's overlooking the simple fact of how much fun it is to ping-pong off a column of jump pads or use a grappling hook to swing around a level.

LittleBigPlanet 2 is a blast to play, and that's without the thousands of cool levels people are about to start posting!"

#9 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

I hope Stephen Fry lends his voice for the tutorial again. Stephen Fry makes everything better.

KG86

He does.

#10 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

From IGN.Com's 9.0 Review:

"There's no denying that LittleBigPlanet 2 is an amazing game. It's fun, clever, deep, engaging and great to try out with friends. The only issue is that some of the same frustrations from the last game are still present. Still, the ability to make games and not just levels outweighs any con. Even if you just want to play and never create, the fight to Ace every level, find every prize and earn every pin is going to keep you very busy -- and that's overlooking the simple fact of how much fun it is to ping-pong off a column of jump pads or use a grappling hook to swing around a level.

LittleBigPlanet 2 is a blast to play, and that's without the thousands of cool levels people are about to start posting!"

Phantom_Leo

I see what you did, but thanks anyway for the link.

#11 Posted by Phantom_Leo (7090 posts) -

It's nothing more than a private joke between Vader and I.

I am glad such an anticipated game is getting such a great score, even if I am not personally looking forward to it.

#12 Posted by Archangel3371 (20256 posts) -
Sweet. Never played the first game but loved the LBP2 beta so I'm definitely looking forward to this game. I may even grab the Collector's Edition.
#13 Posted by AzelKosMos (34194 posts) -

Will be getting it when I can, first game was awesome, I have 100% of the trophies XD

#14 Posted by Dracula68 (33109 posts) -
From IGN.Com's 9.0 Phantom_Leo
Never would have thought a 9 would be the lowest score so far but it is along with Eurogamer's 9.
#15 Posted by _Dez_ (2398 posts) -

Oh hell yeah. I loved the first game, I'm kind of surprised this one snuck up behind after I was waiting for the original holiday release. Day one... maybe. There's also Dead Space 2.

#16 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

After putting countless hours into the beta (and LBP1 before that), I am really looking forward to LBP2 (I have the special edition preordered on Amazon). Its a shame all the beta levels are being wiped due to a nasty bug which allowed people to steal other people's work because some of the beta levels are insanely brilliant but after the lengthy testing cycle I hope LBP2 will hit bug free.

It will be interesting to see if the beta creators initially recreate their old levels or create new ones. As with the original, I am going to dive into MM's levels before experiencing those of the community. Its the community that gives LBP its infinitely long legs, but MM is a great level crafter and their levels I played in the beta and the demo were extremely fun.

Despite the quality of the beta levels, I know it didn't have all the textures and I suspect it didn't have all the tools of the final game (also, sackbots are a bit more limited than they were in some of the vids MM has shown) so I suspect that the full game will be so much richer than the demosome creators will choose to start from scratch. Still, for the sake of people that never played it, I hope the Kevin Butler fighting game (more of a beat'em up to be honest) is recreated. Fun, hilarious stuff.

CarnageHeart
I wish I was in the beta, I really hope everyone remakes the best levels, its a shame most people will miss out on them.
#17 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Reviews coming in, this will all be incorporated into the first post when I finish it.

Jeuxvideo 18/20

EuroGamer SE 8

EuroGamer 9

IGN 9

NowGamer 10

CVG 9.4

GamesTM 10

Games.cz 10

Looki.de 9.3

Videogameszone.de 91%

Meristation 9.5

#18 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

The inception reference makes this thread 105% more awesome than it already was.

#19 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
I was almost done with the first post and my browser crashed, I lost all of it. I will do it tomorrow.
#20 Posted by orion_52 (595 posts) -

Oh hell yeah. I loved the first game, I'm kind of surprised this one snuck up behind after I was waiting for the original holiday release. Day one... maybe. There's also Dead Space 2.

_Dez_

Yeah between LBP2, Dead Space 2, and Mass Effect 2 (PS3), January is looking pretty stacked.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the lbp.me feature is implemented. From what I've read you can put together a list of user created levels you want to play via the internet so you have it ready to go when get the chance to log onto the ps3. Sounds useful.

#21 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
First post completed. Make sure you guys use lbp.me its going to change the way you find levels.
#22 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
First post completed. Make sure you guys use lbp.me its going to change the way you find levels. dvader654
Great work!
#23 Posted by Allicrombie (26185 posts) -
I really wanna play this. (actually I just want a sackboy plushie).
#24 Posted by NCsmallCHILDS (790 posts) -

power gloves, first person shooters, AND RPG elements (plus collectors edition) Holy crapola

#25 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

The Bradygames LBP2 strategy guide for LBP2 'The Littlebigplanet Signature Series Guide' shipped today. It also calls itself the 'Ultimate Creator's Resource' so presumably it offers advice to aspiring game makers.

Right now I'm sketching out a LBP2 level based on what I know of the tools from the beta as well as using the very comprehensive Bradygames LBP1 guide to hoover up loose items.

#26 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5554 posts) -
A great game. But LBP1 was more original than the second and was impressive for an 08 release.A good game,but the charm of LBP1 is waaaaaay to large. LBP 95/96 on Meta LBP2 92/91 meta
#27 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

A great game. But LBP1 was more original than the second and was impressive for an 08 release.A good game,but the charm of LBP1 is waaaaaay to large. LBP 95/96 on Meta LBP2 92/91 meta Ratchet_Fan8

Almost by definition the first game in a series is more groundbreaking than the second, but LBP2 brings a lot to the table.

There has been lots of coverage of the powergloves, sackbots, grappling hooks and microchips, but smaller touches like the ability to set an object's physical properties (including bounciness and how much impact gravity has on it), animated textures (whose speed of movement one can set) and the sticker cutter are great and make creation much easier than ever before (easier tools make for more and better levels).

IMHO LBP2 (and its new additions) have all the charm of the original, but charm is of course subjective.

If LBP2 isn't your thing, there's nothing wrong with that (there is a lot of good stuff not named LBP out there).

#28 Posted by PrettySlick (40 posts) -

Looking forward to it.

#29 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
One week to go. Since I was not in the beta I am really looking forward to this.
#30 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
One week to go. Since I was not in the beta I am really looking forward to this.dvader654
I'm excited to see what you'll come up with. I'm probably going to pick up where I left off and try to make some Demon's Souls levels. Sackbots should make monster creation a lot easier.
#31 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]One week to go. Since I was not in the beta I am really looking forward to this.rragnaar
I'm excited to see what you'll come up with. I'm probably going to pick up where I left off and try to make some Demon's Souls levels. Sackbots should make monster creation a lot easier.

Sackbots are cool, but circuitboards (which all sackbots have) are even more useful for monster creation (especially if one is creating nonhumanoid monsters).

Circuitboards are like monster brains without the limitations (they can detect anything, control anything and trigger anything).

#32 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
[QUOTE="dvader654"]One week to go. Since I was not in the beta I am really looking forward to this.rragnaar

My problem is that I can't make backgrounds or have any good art direction. I suck at that. I can do level design just fine and I have ideas but I cant create the worlds to put them in. For example i have had an idea for a RE level where you have limited ammo and you have to explore a mansion, gather keys, kill zombies, all the usual stuff. I would not be able to make a nice looking mansion. I am thinking of asking gaf for help, they have amazing artists.
#33 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

LBPCentral has posted their review of LBP2 (they like it!). Seriously, its a really in-depth review (a couple pages) written by a guy who poured a lot of time into the original (he has beaten LBP2 twice) and is very knowledgeable about level creation.

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/content.php?276-LittleBigPlanet-2-Review-A-Gallery-of-Ingenuity

Overall, the story mode is a great ride. Each of the over forty levels presents new challenges and new ways to look at the game, and Media Molecule does a great job making their methods just obvious enough that a seasoned Creator will learn a ton from the Story Mode just by playing through and looking around at the mechanics of it all. There were many times where I simply forgot my motivation while playing through the Story Mode, but in those instances, I never really cared. If I was shooting a glob of sticky cake out of a Creatinator at a spiked, fire-throwing baddie while being flung through the air on bouncepads, why I was doing it was ultimately unimportant - the fact that I got to do that thing was so much fun in and of itself, it didn't really matter why.

--

I'm not going to try to lay out every new thing there is in Create, but I will say this: the list is massive. Absolutely gigantic. Everything from thermometer consolidation to built-in logic to a microchip for holding that logic to a sticker cutout tool to sorting-stickers-by-color to fullscreen Popit to animated materials to a UV editor that lets you edit the textures on those materials (and static materials, to boot) to Sackbots and AI to direct control mapping to dynamic scene/water/gravity controls to gameplay and music sequencing...the list goes on and on and on. It's absolutely wonderful how full-featured Create is this time around.

--
Sackboy customization is very nearly the same as before, except now there are costumes that are much more...jaunty, than they were before. They're bigger, they're more animated (in a very literal sense), and they usually come in more pieces to make customization that much more fun.

#34 Posted by AndromedasWake (256 posts) -
This game is already out, my local Wal-Mart had a dozen copies in the game case. Sadly, I have no interest in it right now, so I passed on it.
#35 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

This game is already out, my local Wal-Mart had a dozen copies in the game case. Sadly, I have no interest in it right now, so I passed on it.AndromedasWake

Cool. The only store that broke release dates in my neck of the woods was Circuit City (which has been gone for quite a while now). Maybe I'll check around to see if anyone has hired a sloppy clerk recently :P. It would be great to have LBP2 during the upcoming 3 day holiday.

#36 Posted by Helghast_Merc (789 posts) -

I played the demo, and I liked it alot. I will plan to get LBP2 sometime after release.

#37 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
This game is already out, my local Wal-Mart had a dozen copies in the game case. Sadly, I have no interest in it right now, so I passed on it.AndromedasWake
I like how you say this as if it would be ok to post and leave. GET ME A COPY NOW!!! I'll pay you. :P
#38 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Sony has posted two new LBP2 vids. The first shows a couple of user created levels, the second (which boasts a hilarious voice over) shows off the Ratchet and Clank costumes which one can get by preordering from Amazon or buying the Collector's Edition.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/01/13/littlebigplanet-2-update-5-days-left-more-guinness-world-record-details/#more-43411

#39 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
All next week Best Buy is doing Buy 2 get 1 free for ALL games over $30. If you are getting LBP2 next week and thinking of getting another game this is perfect.
#40 Posted by Kuromino (1592 posts) -

All next week Best Buy is doing Buy 2 get 1 free for ALL games over $30. If you are getting LBP2 next week and thinking of getting another game this is perfect.dvader654

I pre-ordered the game at Best Buy and paid in full already; wonder if I can still get in on that deal.

#41 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]All next week Best Buy is doing Buy 2 get 1 free for ALL games over $30. If you are getting LBP2 next week and thinking of getting another game this is perfect.Kuromino

I pre-ordered the game at Best Buy and paid in full already; wonder if I can still get in on that deal.

I dont see why not. What sucks is that Dead Space 2 doesn't hit during that week.
#42 Posted by orion_52 (595 posts) -
All next week Best Buy is doing Buy 2 get 1 free for ALL games over $30. If you are getting LBP2 next week and thinking of getting another game this is perfect.dvader654
Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely take advantage of it.
#43 Posted by F1Lengend (7906 posts) -

Gamespot reviewis up! You know the drill Dvader. (9.0)

#44 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Gamespot review is up! You know the drill Dvader. (9.0)

F1Lengend

Great video review. The 2 minute Endless fun trailer (much longer than tv ads Sony recently posted on its blog) is also awesome.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/littlebigplanet2/video/6286398/little-big-planet-2-endless-fun-trailer?tag=bounce&contsessid=f5868be10a741d51d1b3250f761431fe&prevBounce=6286417

Also worth mentioning is a great list Jumpbutton of Neogaf (one of my favorite creators) posted of talented creators in either LBP1 and the LBP2 beta.

Right now one can log on to lbp.me, heart them, then play their levels once you pick up LBP2.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418357&page=7

#45 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

1 day away.

LBP2 isgoing to be an incredible beginning to what's sure to be an incredible year of gaming (ME2 PS3 hits alongside it, Dead Space 2 hits next week, and unless a lot of release dates slip, the stream of high quality games will continue the rest of the year).

#46 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
I cant wait, I cant wait, I cant wait. To everyone, I like to go through the story alone first. So I don't hate you if I refuse to play co-op.
#47 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
I cant wait, I cant wait, I cant wait. To everyone, I like to go through the story alone first. So I don't hate you if I refuse to play co-op. dvader654
I'm the same way. I probably won't play with people too often, and definitely not in story mode until I've beaten it.
#48 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Yeah, I love coop but my first playthrough has to be solo.

Besides, the online coop in LBP1 was a laggy mess. i dont really want to put myself through that again.

#49 Posted by kramer_inc (1303 posts) -

I just purchased the Collector's Edition. :):)

#50 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

I just purchased the Collector's Edition. :):)

kramer_inc

Nice (I'm not getting my copy until tommorrow). Please post impressions when you have the time.