Official Dishonored Thread (Gamespot Gives it a 9.0)

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#101 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Dishonored adding challenge map DLC

Get ready to hone your stealth or kill skills! :)

Metamania
Congratulations! You are the poster of the 100th comment!
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#102 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I like the game, it's very good. But I was disappointed with the graphics, they don't look good at all. The game ending was also very disappointing, but I'm not going to spoil anything so don't worry, let's just say it's vague and unsatisfying.

Also the game is short, I know there are side quests and whatnot, but the main mission is only like 9-10 hours long. Fortunately the game has good replay value as you can play it so many different ways.

I gave it an 8.5 in my review.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#103 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Dishonored adding challenge map DLC

Get ready to hone your stealth or kill skills! :)

Kevlar101

Congratulations! You are the poster of the 100th comment!

Huh? How so?

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#104 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I like the game, it's very good. But I was disappointed with the graphics, they don't look good at all. The game ending was also very disappointing, but I'm not going to spoil anything so don't worry, let's just say it's vague and unsatisfying.

Also the game is short, I know there are side quests and whatnot, but the main mission is only like 9-10 hours long. Fortunately the game has good replay value as you can play it so many different ways.

I gave it an 8.5 in my review.

ShadowMoses900
I think the game looks absolutely great IF and only IF you have your monitor brightness and contrast set up properly. If not the game will look like s***, completely washed out and dull. With proper settings I thought it presented itself very very well, especially during the night missions.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#105 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Loving this game. I can't believe this thread only has 100 replies, this is easily one of the year's best.

My earlier concerns about stealth were addressed when I upgraded my blink ability. How useful it is for everthing -- stealth, climbing, even combat. This is one of those rare games you really lose yourself in -- one that feels like it takes you to another world. The persistent universe is really well crafted and I love the little notes and books laying around that really fill in the gaps and draw you further in. I also might add that aside from the writing, the voicework in this game is incredible. I think I've recognized a celebrity voice or two, not sure, but they're all so damn good.

The combat is expertly done. I've never played a game where sword-play felt so right -- so brutal, precise, and satisfying. The stealth works really well too, and there's quite a few awesome abilities dedicated to it (wanna sneak through a hall of guards? Possess a rat and sneak through a vent in the wall). This is one of those games where you want to restart checkpoints just to see how things would play out differently if you had changed your approach -- tons of room for experiementation. I think people are just jaded and too addicted to crappy big-budget militaristic shooters these days to appreciate a real gamers-game like this nowadays.

I really think it's a crime for gamers not to pick this up, it's what alot of us complain is missing from games today -- deep, involving single-player gameplay in a beautiful new world with all the resources devoted to a wonderful, focused experience.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#106 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
This is a great game and I had a lot of fun but if you upgrade your bend time to stop time you can literally run through this game. I ran through a lot of the second half. Even those walls of light or arc pylons don't trigger. So spam this fvcker and your blue potions and you can run through most of it. I accidentally killed someone somewhere like halfway through the game and had a lot more fun killing people than running past them. All of your powers are kinda fun but besides blink, stop time and darkvision they are useless for stealth. I found it was unbalanced, with that one thing being overpowered. The last place in the game is a HEAVY security island with dudes and walls and watchtowers everywhere---- stop time destroys it. Edit>> Besides this and the crappy graphics the game is a total blast, and one of the best released this year for sure. I love me my stealth games.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Jbul

This is a great game and I had a lot of fun but if you upgrade your bend time to stop time you can literally run through this game. I ran through a lot of the second half. Even those walls of light or arc pylons don't trigger. So spam this fvcker and your blue potions and you can run through most of it. I accidentally killed someone somewhere like halfway through the game and had a lot more fun killing people than running past them. All of your powers are kinda fun but besides blink, stop time and darkvision they are useless for stealth. I found it was unbalanced, with that one thing being overpowered. The last place in the game is a HEAVY security island with dudes and walls and watchtowers everywhere---- stop time destroys it. Edit>> Besides this and the crappy graphics the game is a total blast, and one of the best released this year for sure. I love me my stealth games.GodModeEnabled
I haven't upgraded that ability yet -- I've slaughtered everything in my path. Using my abilities to set up bloody ambushes and sick executions. Rat Swarm is fun. I walked into the brothel dressing room, caught 3 wh***s talking to each other, oblivious that a dark assassin had just slaughtered everyone else in the building, and unleashed a rat swarm on them. I love this game.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Jbul

Finished the game tonight. Definitely great, but it doesn't quite live up to it's potential to be one of the best games of this generation. I think it could've been a far superior experience if it had been a more streamlined experience without so much "choice", given that stealth isn't very enjoyable when the combat in this game is so brilliant. The simple truth is, the game doesn't handle "choice" and "freedom" nearly as well as a game like last year's excellent Dues Ex. The game also has some technical issues that I didn't hear about in any of the reviews I read -- such as the Blink ability being maddeningly inconsistent when trying to use it to "climb" objects (sometimes, no matter how much fussing I'd do, the prompt would never come up, thus limiting my "choice" on how to handle the situation) and Dark Vision's range being annoyingly random depending on terrain.

Still, these flaws certainly don't break the game, they just hold it back from being a 9.5 or a 10 -- because really, the rest of the game is quite good. An excellent world, a good (if entriely predictable) story, and a very unique aesthetic. I thought the visuals were very good (I played on 360), and I enjoyed the power-up system although I feel it could've been a bit more clear on what powers were appropriate for what playstyle (finding out possession, which I maxed out, is nearly useless for a balls-out attack playstyle would've been useful before I spent 9 runes on it).

So overall an 8.5, with some really brilliant moments. It has tons of polish and heart, and definitely deserves to be played by every self-respecting gamer, as there's more substance here than in almost any other game released this year, aside from maybe Witcher 2 or XCOM (which are the two best games I've played this year).

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#109 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i had an emergent gameplay moment that i thought was pretty neat [spoiler] i was doing a no kill/detection run and at the mission where the hiram burrows is the target. i went to grab the rune in the torturer's chamber only to find that the torturer was not alone. his work was being watched by the target and his hound. i peeked out from behind cover, shot the hound with a sleep dart, ran back up the stairs, and blinked on top of a vent to hide without ever being seen. surprisingly, the lord regent and not the torturer followed me (i guess he is a dog lover). he started accusing guards at gun point but apparently didn't find the answers satisfactory. he shot the first guard but the second shot and killed him. i finished the mission and the game didn't counted it as my kill. [/spoiler] there are some structured ways to take out the targets, but i like that the AI, level design, and abilities work together so well that missions can unfold completely differently even with similar play sty|es.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#110 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I think the razorwire proxymine might be the most badass weapon in a game in many years. Something about being shredded to pieces by exploding piano wire is just so awesome. I want to replay the game but killing people is too fun to go for the no kills achievement :P
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#111 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I finally beat it the other day. The last three missions are kind of meh compared to the overall game, but I still loved it. I blasted through the last three though, killed basically everyone.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#112 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

I was thinking about buying this game until I started reading this thread and a few others. Comparing the comments here with Gamespot's 9.0 Editor's Choice rating, I have to wonder if this is yet another overrated game that isn't worth the accolades.

Not to raise anyone's ire, as I haven't played the game, but I hate wasting money on a game with a short campaign, and I really hate wasting money on a short, mediocre game that doesn't deserve the high ratings it received. Is Dishonored worth its purchase price?

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#113 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I think the razorwire proxymine might be the most badass weapon in a game in many years. Something about being shredded to pieces by exploding piano wire is just so awesome. I want to replay the game but killing people is too fun to go for the no kills achievement :PGodModeEnabled

I'm on my Clean Hands run at the moment and I'm missing being able to use my favourite trick of blinking directly in front of a guard and putting my blade through his throat before the surprise is off his face. I particularly like the special counter kills you can use against each of your main targets, usable when you abandon all pretense of subtlety and force them to come at you blade to blade (poor Campbell :)).

It's been a while since a game has gripped me as tightly as Dishonored. A fantastic new IP and definitely in my short list for GOTY 2012.