Official Dishonored Thread (Gamespot Gives it a 9.0)

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GT90 (6256 posts) -

Dishonored Image

Arkane Studios brings it's take on stealth action games to the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC.This will be Arkane's first solo project since Arx Fatalis, their first game released in 2002. They have helped work on Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and Bioshock 2.

Storyline:

You play as Corvo Attano, bodyguard to a empress who is murdered and you're framed for the murder. The Outsider, offers you a chance at revenge and the ability to clear your name. You are in the industrial city of Dunwall, a whaling and fishing town modelled after London and Edinburgh. With the discovery of whale oil as a fuel. The government uses it to create powerful weaponry, leading to corruption. A plague breaks out in the city, infecting rats and dogs, before moving onto people, the city officials use this as an excuse to get rid of anyone they don't want.

Release Date:

North America: Tuesday October 9th 2012

Japan and Australia: Thursday October 11th 2012

Europe: Friday October 12th 2012

Features:

You will given supernatural powers by the Outsider.

These skills includes:

• Blink - the ability to teleport a short distance away
  • Dark Vision - allowing you to see enemies through walls for a short time
  • Possession - you posses another creature, human or animal
  • Devouring Swarm - you summon swarm of rats to attack your enemies
  • Time Bend - the ability to stop time
  • Wind Blast - use a blast of wind to knock your enemies about
  • Shadow Kill - turns your enemies into ash

All of these skills will use up mana. Your mana only partially regenerates when you use it.

You can play this game anyway you want, through stealth, action or a combination of the two. Stealth is a big part of the game though, hiding behind objects and architecture to avoid detection. The enemy AI has three levels of awareness, normal, suspicious and aware. When aware they will be actively searching for you, hiding will lower the level of alertness, however it will never drop back down to normal and the enemy will alert his allies.

Cast:

The game has quite the hollywood cast including: Susan Sarandon, Brad Dourif, John Slattery, Michael Madesen, Lena Headey, Chole Grace Moretz and Carrie Fischer.

Pre-Order Bounuses:

Gamestop - You will get a deck of Tarot Cards as well the Arkhane Assassins pack. The pack will let you befriend white rats, which your character can then eat for mana. You will also get Void Channel power, which powers duration and give bonus damage.

BestBuy - You will get a USB whale oil lamp and the Shadow Rat pack. This pack includes the Deepbreath power (hold your breath for longer under water), Vouyer power (magnifies the peephole view) and Delicate Touch (dampens noise made from broken glass).

Amazon - The Backstreet Butcher pack. This pack includes the Fencer ability (bettering sword combat), Fire Water (bigger explosions from whiskey bottles_ and the ability to take less damage from explosions.

Wal-Mart - The Acrobatic Killer pack. The Raven (bouns health for drop down kills), Quick Dodge (Better ability to dodge arrows) and River Affinity (Better swimming skills).

Youtube Clips:

Debut Trailer

E3 Gameplay Trailer

Creative Kills Trailer

Daring Escapes Trailer

Reviews:

Gamespot: 9 out of 10

GiantBomb: 4 out of 5

Destructoid: 90 out of 100

Game Informer: 88 out of 100

Eurogamer: 80 out of 100

Polygon: 90 out of 100

Joystiq: 4.5 out of 5

IGN: 92 out of 100

Comments:

So will this game live up to the E3 hype? Or will it be another decent game that couldn't deliver on what looks to be an interesting concept?

#2 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

This game has been very interesting and VERY promising to me. Ever since I saw the stealth gameplay video and then the violent gameplay video from IGN's Youtube channel, I was hooked. It's been paid off and pre-ordered and I have no idea what to expect, but it's going to be great!

#3 Posted by lensflare15 (6182 posts) -

The stealth gameplay is what really has me interested, and the story doesn't sound bad either. Probably getting it day one if I can.

#4 Posted by edgewalker16 (2279 posts) -

Day one buy. No hesitation.

#5 Posted by c_rakestraw (14710 posts) -

My copy is on the way from Gamefly. Super excited.

#6 Posted by Bigboi500 (29999 posts) -

c_rake

Same. :D

#7 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

It's looking good, I think it should get the 8.5 GS likes to throw around. I'm hoping it'll be around 20 hours.

#8 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Have mine preordered at Gamestop, paid for and waiting for me. This gmae is a strong contender for my GOTY.
#9 Posted by D3s7rUc71oN (5180 posts) -

Cant wait for Tuesday:D

#10 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

I'm buying this game without any feedback from anyone. I hope it's as good as I think it will be.

#11 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

c_rake

Cool man! I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions! :)

#12 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
i dont normally preorder games, but i got an amazon gift card recently so it will be ready for when i finish borderlands 2.
#13 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

I've not seen much about it, but enough to be interested. There's not enough stealth games out there, imo- I personally love going the silent route given the option, so I'm hoping it turns out to be good. Won't be a day-one purchase for me, but I'll most likely be picking it up within the first month.

#14 Posted by ristactionjakso (5730 posts) -

Weird????? You have a gun, and dont have tacked on MP and linear 6 hr single player mode????? What's goin on here?

#15 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I've been looking forward to this but I've been reading that the game really isn't that long (some people have reportedly beaten the game in 4 hours). While granted, they probably didn't do any sidequests or spend any time exploring, it sounds like the game could clock in at under 10 hours for a normal playthrough. I'll wait for official reviews but if that's the case I may reconsider my purchase. I don't doubt the game will be good but it is hard for me to justify a $60 pricetag if the game doesn't last very long.

#16 Posted by ristactionjakso (5730 posts) -

I've been looking forward to this but I've been reading that the game really isn't that long (some people have reportedly beaten the game in 4 hours). While granted, they probably didn't do any sidequests or spend any time exploring, it sounds like the game could clock in at under 10 hours for a normal playthrough. I'll wait for official reviews but if that's the case I may reconsider my purchase. I don't doubt the game will be good but it is hard for me to justify a $60 pricetag if the game doesn't last very long.

Vari3ty

That's the exact reason for me not being hyped for this game. I just have this gut feeling that it will be about 8-10 hours long. Not worth a $60 purchase.

#17 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

ristactionjakso

That's the exact reason for me not being hyped for this game. I just have this gut feeling that it will be about 8-10 hours long. Not worth a $60 purchase.

This bad news, I was thinking a great single player game would be least 15-20 hours long, like Rage. But I'll still play it for sure.

#18 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

Vari3ty

The other thing that you'd have to consider is that they probably beat the game on normal difficulty, if that's even remotely true. They could easily sneak past the enemies without being detected and did just whatever and more than likely did what you suggested and just ignored sidequests or not spend any other time exploring. I'd like to think that should they have increased the difficulty, they would have taken a longer time to complete the game.

#19 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Metamania

The other thing that you'd have to consider is that they probably beat the game on normal difficulty, if that's even remotely true. They could easily sneak past the enemies without being detected and did just whatever and more than likely did what you suggested and just ignored sidequests or not spend any other time exploring. I'd like to think that should they have increased the difficulty, they would have taken a longer time to complete the game.

True, but most gamers like me play games on Normal. It's the way the developers want you to experience, a balanced great game. I bet he's wrong in beating under 4 hours. The only game I played that short was the terrible Rogue Warrior.

#20 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

immortality20

True, but most gamers like me play games on Normal. It's the way the developers want you to experience, a balanced great game. I bet he's wrong in beating under 4 hours. The only game I played that short was the terrible Rogue Warrior.

I remember hearing about how one of the Bethesda staffers went through Skyrim in two hours or a little more than that. No sidequests, no exploring, nothing. Just went from one mission to the next without stopping. I'm sure that it is possible to beat Dishonored in a time that quick, but I see speed runs as challenge. Videogames,to me, are supposed to be played and experienced for both good and bad. Here, with Dishonored, I like the idea of just playing it the way you want and see how it goes, then trying something completely different in the next go-around. A lot of games have done this though, so seeing this in Dishonored makes it nothing new. Still, it's going to take me more than just four hours to complete everything, including getting all the achievements.

#21 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Dishonored Trophy List

If anyone wanted to know the trophies I posted the link for the Trophy list.

I also plan on getting this; I hope Tuesday but I don't know.

#22 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it wil be pretty awesome.

Everyone thinking else deserves to be...

*Puts on Sunglasses*

....DISHONORED!

:P

#23 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Well, despite my previous concerns about length I think I will be picking this up at launch. When so many games these days have lost a focus on singleplayer and often come with at launch DLC, a game like Dishonored is certainly refreshing. I guess I feel the need to support the game.

#24 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Pre-ordered with no hesitation whatsoever. Game looks like it will be one of the greats and a nice breath of fresh air in the FPS ring. Nothing about it has disappointed me so far. So annoyed though that US is tuesday and us Europeans are Friday :(

#25 Posted by Kiro0 (1173 posts) -

I want this so badly. I'm holding off until reviews come up, but CVG at least gave it a stellar review so far, so I anticipate the rest to hit in the next couple of days. Really looks like it could be exactly what I want in a game.

#26 Posted by D3s7rUc71oN (5180 posts) -

Woohoo seems like the game has replay value and GS didn't found anything negative :P

A little bit better than I expected it to score, it got a 9.0

I just hope the console versions don't have technical issues, Tuesday can't come soon enough :D

#27 Posted by GT90 (6256 posts) -

Lots of reviews coming in now that the embargo has been lifted.

#28 Posted by IC3_C0LD_ZERO (297 posts) -

Wow what a dissapointing and rushed review. I actually expected better work for a big title like this. Nvm the game seems good, I may get it at Spring since I am still playing Deus Ex right now and the experience would be too familiar

#29 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
Sounds pretty cool. Like a lot of very open ended games it seems like the level of difficulty was set very low in order to prevent any choice from being the wrong one, but messing around with the many possibilities sounds interesting.
#30 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

What's the word so far on the PS3 version? That's the one I preordered but I've been feeling reaaaally sketchy about doing so given Bethesda's rocky history with the machine. I don't mind if it's marginally inferior, only that it isn't flat unplayable as other Bethesda games have been on the system.

#31 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

Was reading Chris Watters's review (and then watched it) and I can't help but feel excited. Dishonored could actually be a very strong contender for GOTY, IMO. Can't wait to play it tomorrow!

#32 Posted by Archangel3371 (15728 posts) -
This game is getting excellent reviews. There's several other games I'm planning on getting first but I'll likely pick this up later on down the road.
#33 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
great score for a game which looks great
#34 Posted by Canvas_Of_Flesh (4052 posts) -
I was really looking forward to this game until I read this in a Game Informer review: "This mechanic is problematic because your cumulative chaos value determines which of the two endings you receive. For all of Dishonoreds attempts to avoid the traditional morality found in choice-driven gameplay, youre still making a binary choice: Will you kill people, or not kill people? The latter option leads to the satisfying ending, while the former results in a punitive conclusion. This divide establishes a right and wrong way to play; high chaos makes the game harder, adding more plague rats, infected citizens, patrols, and even a more difficult alternate version of the final level. However, playing this wrong way is the mix of sneaking and assassination that makes Dishonored shine. If you want to see the good ending (and avoid being punished for playing the game at its best), you must forsake the multitude of cool death-dealing contraptions and upgrades in favor of the comparatively sparse offering of nonlethal alternatives which doesn't help endorse low-chaos stealth as a valid style of play. " That just seems kind of odd to punish you for using the majority of weapons. I may have to rent this one first.
#35 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

I was really looking forward to this game until I read this in a Game Informer review: "This mechanic is problematic because your cumulative chaos value determines which of the two endings you receive. For all of Dishonoreds attempts to avoid the traditional morality found in choice-driven gameplay, youre still making a binary choice: Will you kill people, or not kill people? The latter option leads to the satisfying ending, while the former results in a punitive conclusion. This divide establishes a right and wrong way to play; high chaos makes the game harder, adding more plague rats, infected citizens, patrols, and even a more difficult alternate version of the final level. However, playing this wrong way is the mix of sneaking and assassination that makes Dishonored shine. If you want to see the good ending (and avoid being punished for playing the game at its best), you must forsake the multitude of cool death-dealing contraptions and upgrades in favor of the comparatively sparse offering of nonlethal alternatives which doesn't help endorse low-chaos stealth as a valid style of play. " That just seems kind of odd to punish you for using the majority of weapons. I may have to rent this one first.Canvas_Of_Flesh

Actually, since Metal Gear Solid it's pretty standard for any Stealth Game to reward the player when he doesn't kill anybody. And that's why it has so many ways to finish a mission. You can always first rampage through all the levels and try all the stuff and in your next playthrough then be stealthy and non violent or the other way around. And I bet even when you've already finished both ways of playthrough of the game there's still more to be discovered, like other, before not noticed or not tried out ways to finish a mission.

#36 Posted by D3s7rUc71oN (5180 posts) -

What's the word so far on the PS3 version? That's the one I preordered but I've been feeling reaaaally sketchy about doing so given Bethesda's rocky history with the machine. I don't mind if it's marginally inferior, only that it isn't flat unplayable as other Bethesda games have been on the system.

Shame-usBlackley

I read the gameinformer review and it says the ps3 version had the most noticeable technical hiccup which isnt surprising given this is a Bethesda title. They recommend the PC version followed by the 360, you might want to get the 360 version on this one

#37 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

D3s7rUc71oN

I read the gameinformer review and it says the ps3 version had the most noticeable technical hiccup which isnt surprising given this is a Bethesda title. They recommend the PC version followed by the 360, you might want to get the 360 version on this one

Really? That sounds contridicting from gameinformer. The review I read from Gaming-Age.com, brings up something about the technical side of the PS3 version and I quote:

"Worth noting, especially for those burned by the performance issues of The Elder Scrolls V from Bethesda on PS3, is that the PS3 version of Dishonored provided for this review holds up pretty damn well from a technical standpoint. No weird or outlandish bugs occurred during my time spent with the campaign, outside of a couple annoying checkpoints that saw me respawning in mid fall, leading to an immediate death. But the auto-save system actually gives you a couple of points to load up as back-ups, and you can also save anywhere you choose. The framerate stayed solid throughout, outside of some slight slowdown during explosions and encounters with multiple (6 plus) enemies at once. Even then, the drops were never that severe. And there seems to be little to no screen tearing, which is a definite plus."

So it looks like one critic is saying one thing, but another company is saying another thing in regards to the PS3 technical side of things. Guess the player will have to be the judge of that when they play the PS3 version.

#38 Posted by c_rakestraw (14710 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

D3s7rUc71oN

Polygon was saying the worst the PS3 version had was some occasional screen-tearing. Pretty good, all things considered.

#39 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Wow what a dissapointing and rushed review. I actually expected better work for a big title like this. Nvm the game seems good, I may get it at Spring since I am still playing Deus Ex right now and the experience would be too familiar

IC3_C0LD_ZERO

I beat Dues Ex over the summer and I don't get a similar vibe from this game at all, save the open-ended mechanics.

#40 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

[QUOTE="IC3_C0LD_ZERO"]

Grammaton-Cleric

I beat Dues Ex over the summer and I don't get a similar vibe from this game at all, save the open-ended mechanics.

Do you plan on giving Dishonored a shot or do you think you will wait until you can get around to it, Grammaton? :)

#41 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="IC3_C0LD_ZERO"]

Metamania

Do you plan on giving Dishonored a shot or do you think you will wait until you can get around to it, Grammaton? :)

I was actually planning on placing this one aside given the glut of new games and my insane backlog but recent videos and developer interviews made me decide to nab it day one.

These stellar reviews only reinforce that decision.

#42 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

General FYI

KMART is one of the only retailers offering any type of incentive for buying this game. You receive a 15 dollar coupon for your next gaming purchase.

I actually got one of these coupons last week for buying RE6 so Ill be nabbing Dishonored for 45 dollars tomorrow AND getting another coupon.

Best wishes.

#43 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Grammaton-Cleric

I was actually planning on placing this one aside given the glut of new games and my insane backlog but recent videos and developer interviews made me decide to nab it day one.

These stellar reviews only reinforce that decision.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions.

I've always had hope for this game, ever since I saw the IGN gameplay videos and showing off the choice being going stealthy or acting in violence. And I like the freedom of choice it gives you, which is good, because there's multiple saves you can have, so you can have one game be all stealth, another in violence. I think that's really cool.

#44 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
I don't really care about story in videogames anyways, I gave up on that a long while ago. Most game stories are amateur at best, so I will quite enjoy rampaging my way through the game and then just youtubing the good ending :)
#45 Posted by flipin_jackass (9726 posts) -
I've watched a few reviews and I must say it looks quite good. I like the environment, and I could see myself enjoying the different play styles. I've seen the title thrown around here and there, but the game was never on my radar. I'll be adding this to my wish list now, and get it when it goes on sale (because I'm cheap and I almost never buy on release).
#46 Posted by edgewalker16 (2279 posts) -
I don't really care about story in videogames anyways, I gave up on that a long while ago. Most game stories are amateur at best, so I will quite enjoy rampaging my way through the game and then just youtubing the good ending :)GodModeEnabled
That's a bit depressing, I won't lie.
#47 Posted by Flubbbs (3137 posts) -

bought the pc version off green man gaming for $45 :)

#48 Posted by Metamania (12015 posts) -

Wahoo, Dishonored is finally out today! After taking care of a few errands today, I'll be picking up my copy in the afternoon. Can't wait! :)

#49 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

Day one buy for me as well. I cant wait to get off work to play it.

#50 Posted by wavey_gravey (11155 posts) -
Another release I am really interested in, but will sadly have to wait for a bit. With my schedule as it is at the moment I really am not finding the time. Am still in Pandora with Borderlands 2 at the moment.