Official Dark Souls 2 thread of preparing to die again!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

The game is great and has been challenging but not too hard...UNTIL...I got the Ruins Sentinel bosses (those 3 b*stards with those long weapons they can spin around). I am getting owned over and over again even using the phantom you can call to help. I'm playing as a sorcerer too weak to even carry a shield (though very strong spells). Trying to dodge that first sentinel on that small ledge with my weak HP and weak armor and no shield is not a good place to be. Has anyone else beat these guys and what did you do???

You have to kill each one quickly, preferably on that small ledge you start on. It's the only time you get to take one of them on solo. You have to deal damage fast and be able to either dodge or block their attacks reliably. Taking on all three at once, even with two additional players, is untenable because they'll often gang up on you all one at a time.

As your a sorcerer, you're best bet is summon someone and let them draw the boss's attention while you pound them with spells. That or you step away from this area for a while and level up a bunch. I didn't beat this boss until I was around... level 74, I think? And even then, it was still a close battle.

#152 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I just summoned two guys and we beat the crap out of them.

#153 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

How did this game get a T rating?

#154 Posted by meatgrinderz (1328 posts) -

@meatgrinderz said:

The game is great and has been challenging but not too hard...UNTIL...I got the Ruins Sentinel bosses (those 3 b*stards with those long weapons they can spin around). I am getting owned over and over again even using the phantom you can call to help. I'm playing as a sorcerer too weak to even carry a shield (though very strong spells). Trying to dodge that first sentinel on that small ledge with my weak HP and weak armor and no shield is not a good place to be. Has anyone else beat these guys and what did you do???

You have to kill each one quickly, preferably on that small ledge you start on. It's the only time you get to take one of them on solo. You have to deal damage fast and be able to either dodge or block their attacks reliably. Taking on all three at once, even with two additional players, is untenable because they'll often gang up on you all one at a time.

As your a sorcerer, you're best bet is summon someone and let them draw the boss's attention while you pound them with spells. That or you step away from this area for a while and level up a bunch. I didn't beat this boss until I was around... level 74, I think? And even then, it was still a close battle.

Thanks, managed to finally beat them. My xbox live expired last month so had to do it by myself...was hard AF! The one on the ledge isn't too hard once I got used to his attacks and dodging without falling off. Hardest part was killing the 2nd one while fighting the last two together, after the 2nd one was dead, the 3rd one was easy to kill.

#155 Posted by Byshop (11203 posts) -

How is the online lag? The Parry window in DS1 was WAY different in PvP from how it was when playing PVE. Is that something that has gotten better?

-Byshop

#156 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

Thanks, managed to finally beat them. My xbox live expired last month so had to do it by myself...was hard AF! The one on the ledge isn't too hard once I got used to his attacks and dodging without falling off. Hardest part was killing the 2nd one while fighting the last two together, after the 2nd one was dead, the 3rd one was easy to kill.

Nice!

Yeah, it's easy to take them on once you figure out how to keep them from double-teaming you. Hard part is getting that done -- especially when you're playing a melee build like myself.

#157 Edited by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -
@Byshop said:

How is the online lag? The Parry window in DS1 was WAY different in PvP from how it was when playing PVE. Is that something that has gotten better?

-Byshop

It's been fine for the most part. Had a couple instances where it was really bad -- one where my attacks didn't register on an enemy, another where someone I was dueling was scoring hits despite being nowhere near me -- but the majority my time with it has been nice and smooth. They're supposed to be taking the servers down for maintenance tonight on PS3, so that will hopefully fix what little lag does exist.

#158 Posted by MirkoS77 (7209 posts) -

Fuck this fucking game. Kill one, then another, hit switch. Hey buddy, here's THREE for ya!!

Yea.

#159 Posted by Byshop (11203 posts) -

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

It's been fine for the most part. Had a couple instances where it was really bad -- one where my attacks didn't register on an enemy, another where someone I was dueling was scoring hits despite being nowhere near me -- but the majority my time with it has been nice and smooth. They're supposed to be taking the servers down for maintenance tonight on PS3, so that will hopefully fix what little lag does exist.

What about parries specifically? Do you still have to execute the parry -before- your oppenent attacks when online?

-Byshop

#160 Posted by MirkoS77 (7209 posts) -

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/03/12/dark-souls-2-graphics-downgrade/

What the hell is this bullshit?

How is this allowed? I was under the assumption this is what the game would look like, not some up-rezzed Xbox title. The graphical disparity is gigantic. From Software is bullshit. False advertising bullshitters. I don't care if it's the PC version, they goddamn declare that and not try to pass it off as the consoles when the consoles look nigh (poor)last gen.

The downgrade is awful. I bought this piece of shit full price digitally, the last mistake I ever make. Otherwise it'd be on ebay as I type this. This has happened a few times now. Aliens CM, Watchdogs, now this. I'm no longer buying half promises anymore. These visual differences are more than just simple lighting. The whole game has a different feel to it. The atmosphere is better.

Last game I buy from you FROM SOFTWARE. Fucking jips.

#161 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Oh man this game is amazing! So I am about level 78 or so, and I just beat Belfry Tower boss which was amazing! I beat it on my second try, alone, crazy battle. The tower itself is PvP heaven with the covenant there. You get into battles all the time and the reward for winning is a titanite slab, infinite slabs! Finally the online part is making its way into the game. I have two very different paths to take right now so I will decide where to go tomorrow.

I am still using the same weapons I found so many hours ago, there is zero dex build weapons out there. Everything is a giant sword or club or axe. Magic has been a godsend, all I have is a missile but it helps so much to be able to attack up close and from a distance. Its what I do in PvP and freak them all out.

#162 Edited by groowagon (2761 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

How is this allowed? I was under the assumption this is what the game would look like, not some up-rezzed Xbox title. The graphical disparity is gigantic. From Software is bullshit. False advertising bullshitters. I don't care if it's the PC version, they goddamn declare that and not try to pass it off as the consoles when the consoles look nigh (poor)last gen.

The downgrade is awful. I bought this piece of shit full price digitally, the last mistake I ever make. Otherwise it'd be on ebay as I type this. This has happened a few times now. Aliens CM, Watchdogs, now this. I'm no longer buying half promises anymore. These visual differences are more than just simple lighting. The whole game has a different feel to it. The atmosphere is better.

so because of the graphics, you think the game sucks balls?

anyway, only every developer ever does that same bullshit. you should stop buying games altogether. i'm pretty sure they showed the PC version, since it's obviously better advertisement for the game.

edit: haha the retail version really looks like crap in comparison

#163 Edited by MirkoS77 (7209 posts) -

@groowagon said:

@MirkoS77 said:

anyway, only every developer ever does that same bullshit. you should stop buying games altogether. i'm pretty sure they showed the PC version, since it's obviously better advertisement for the game.

You're right, it does look like garbage. I don't mind (and somewhat expect) the final product of any game to never look exact, but it should be in the same ballpark. This is not. Look at this!:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781625

Those comparison shots are taken both from the PS3 release, the better ones taken from a pre-release build given to the press for their playthroughs, the worse is what we got at retail. Whose to say why this happened, but that is a HUGE difference on the same hardware. The game now looks utterly raped, and yea, to an extent the game does suck more because of it. Graphics are parts of what makes up a game and makes it enjoyable.

This is really pissing me off. It feels extremely shady and I feel scammed out of my money. Some of those pics I would think could've been done on the original Xbox for chrissakes!

#164 Edited by groowagon (2761 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@groowagon said:

@MirkoS77 said:

You're right, it does look like garbage. I don't mind (and somewhat expect) the final product of any game to never look exact, but it should be in the same ballpark. This is not. Look at this!:

Those comparison shots are taken both from the PS3 release, the better ones taken from a pre-release build given to the press for their playthroughs, the worse is what we got at retail. Whose to say why this happened, but that is a HUGE difference on the same hardware. The game now looks utterly raped, and yea, to an extent the game does suck more because of it. Graphics are parts of what makes up a game and makes it enjoyable.

This is really pissing me off. It feels extremely shady and I feel scammed out of my money. Some of those pics I would think could've been done on the original Xbox for chrissakes!

they must have come to a conclusion that those consoles just can't keep a steady framrate with those graphics. i can't see any other reason why anyone would do that. i don't know what mysterious dev-platform the press had the chance to play it on, but it sure wasn't PS3. the engine supports next-gen consoles, so i don't know if they were shady enough to run it on them even... but you must agree that it did look too good to be true on PS3 or X360...

personally, i have high hopes for the PC version, but something is making me sceptical about that one too... i mean, there's lots of 3D models that look different in the final version.

#165 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10549 posts) -

@ MirkoS77

Calm down, and channel your anger.

#166 Posted by MirkoS77 (7209 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@groowagon said:

@MirkoS77 said:

they must have come to a conclusion that those consoles just can't keep a steady framrate with those graphics. i can't see any other reason why anyone would do that. i don't know what mysterious dev-platform the press had the chance to play it on, but it sure wasn't PS3. the engine supports next-gen consoles, so i don't know if they were shady enough to run it on them even... but you must agree that it did look too good to be true on PS3 or X360...

personally, i have high hopes for the PC version, but something is making me sceptical about that one too... i mean, there's lots of 3D models that look different in the final version.

Yea, but the thing is (according to the Neogaf thread), those nice shots are also from the PS3 version. There were copies given out early to people playable that looked like that.

My main thing is, if FROM knew that they were going to release a version that looked much worse (and personally I don't think it looks much better than a high-end Xbox game), they should've told us. Instead, they kept their mouth shut after the changes and seemingly willfully deceived people into believing they were buying what was initially shown. That's fucked up. I'm usually not one to get very pissed off at things like this, until they're this blatant, and as I stupidly bought this on a whim digitally, I'm going to ask Sony for a refund claiming false advertising.

Frankly, I'm surprised more aren't upset at this. It's a major downgrade. I'm pissed because I feel like a sucker. If SCEA won't refund me, I'll take it up with my CC company. Maybe I'm just in an extra funky mood tonight, but man....it also bothers me that this seems to be becoming a trend.

#167 Posted by MirkoS77 (7209 posts) -

@ MirkoS77

Calm down, and channel your anger.

I'm trying.

#168 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Mirko is a little late to the graphics party. We went through all the stages of denial already, I am accepting and enjoying now.

#169 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -
@Byshop said:

@c_rakestraw said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

What about parries specifically? Do you still have to execute the parry -before- your oppenent attacks when online?

-Byshop

I haven't been able to land any parries yet, so I don't know. Sorry.

#170 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@c_rakestraw said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

-Byshop

I had a fight where the guy was using a bunch of parries, it seems if you attack anytime during the animation you will get hit with the parry. But I couldnt land one. He would just do it constantly, hoping I would bite.

#171 Posted by Ish_basic (4001 posts) -

So fighting the guy in undead purgatory today, I came to the realization that it was the first boss fight (after something like 8 or 9) that was actually different. Everything before now has been of the variety of fast moving, large sweeping attacks. It's starting to diversify a bit now (at least the gargoyles and the skeletons were a bit different), but I'm pretty far in and I have to say the variety just hasn't been there, like you'd expect from a DS game. I did enjoy the sinner fight as melee, though...I felt it was a real test of managing your stamina, blocking appropriately and knowing when to evade instead...his attacks are almost non-stop with very little recovery and it really forces you to manage your stamina effectively. Was satisfying and probably the toughest fight I've had for my set-up.

I made the mistake of shutting off my PS3 to try to avoid an NPC going hostile (didn't know he was an NPC...really looked like a monster until I saw the exclamation point and watched helplessly as my greatsword, already in its arc, smashed his head)...I've done it before, and it has worked, but this time it fucked my whole file system and I have to wait up to 14 hours (according to the tech) for the database to rebuild. I was kinda thinkin of starting a new character anyway, as the heavy armor route was getting a bit routine.

#172 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

This game has a habit of reminding you not to get too comfortable with your set up. My heavy armor, Pursuer greatsword + greatshield combo has worked flawlessly until now. Unfortunately, the boss I'm up against now damages you while you're close to it, regardless of what you do. It's forced me to change tactics and be more careful.

#174 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

Woo, finally had some serious time to play- I spent most of the afternoon clearing the first area and first two bosses. Feels like a combo of both Dark and Demon's Souls so far- I got a lot of Boletarian Palace vibes from the forest area.

The new gestures are so funny. I managed about 10 co-op battles as soon as they became available, and helping out w/ bosses is as rewarding as ever, but the gesturing just makes me chuckle every time.

#175 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39: Smelter Demon, I assume? If you've got any of those items that enhance your fire resistance temporarily, that boss is a good time to use them.

#176 Posted by Byshop (11203 posts) -

@c_rakestraw said:
@Byshop said:

@c_rakestraw said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

-Byshop

I had a fight where the guy was using a bunch of parries, it seems if you attack anytime during the animation you will get hit with the parry. But I couldnt land one. He would just do it constantly, hoping I would bite.

For PvP I very heavily favor Dex builds with light armor and "DA FLIPPY RING" as it's often called in Youtube comments. In DS1, parrying offline versus online were COMPLETELY different timing, to the point that people went out of their way to make separate tutorial videos for each. Obviously with a dex character my playstyle was very heavily favored towards Ripostes and BSing.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: (yes, it's my vid but it's a single, short example of online parry timing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYu2XmlhQAM

If they widened the counterwindow that's interesting. It seems like a "noobening" since I really liked the idea of really right timing window, but at the same time I understand that it's hard to translate something like a 7 frame window into an online game that isn't a 2d or 2.5d fighting game without introducing some delay.

I just got my copy and am finally home so I'll get to try it out tonight.

-Byshop

#177 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@c_rakestraw: I had a fire resistance ring that helped a little, but not a lot of items to use during the fight. I summoned someone, but they died almost immediately.

I ended up beating the boss on my own with a lot of hit and run tactics. It wasn't too bad. The boss after him was definitely the easiest of the "Big 4" that you're told to kill near the beginning. These games have a habit of making the biggest, most intimidating creatures the biggest pushovers.

#178 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

so i beat the first mandatory boss in (i don't know how this area name could be a spoiler, but to paraphrase) "the temperate woodlands of people that are big and dead"

i was on my way over there and saw a ladder leading up to an open area (never a good sign). halfway up the ladder a griffin flies overhead and drops a giant levitating knight. i decided to wait until later to take him on. so i find a lighting-damage sword that cuts the sh*t out of those turtle enemies and beat the boss so i figured it was a good time to try the levitating knight again. i climb up the ladder again and he isn't there. dammit.

#179 Posted by Pariah- (645 posts) -

It's been okay so far. I wouldn't say it's superior to Dark Souls though. It definitely feels less functional and balanced than the first.

#181 Edited by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament:

That happened to me too.

You only get one shot. After this playthrough I'm on I'm going to start another character and see what happens when you kill him. You better get something awesome because killing that thing is a pain in the ass

#182 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39: The first two I fought were definite challenges, but the third one was a cakewalk. Way less intimidating than it looked. At least the majority of the bosses are difficult, though. Seems like only a few are truly easy so far.

#183 Edited by MirkoS77 (7209 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Mirko is a little late to the graphics party. We went through all the stages of denial already, I am accepting and enjoying now.

Not everyone buys the game when you do, vader.

And this should not be accepted nor overlooked simply because of enthusiasm of a new release. I know you and others are excited for this release, but what Namco/FROM has done here is scummy.

#184 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@dvader654 said:

And this should not be accepted nor overlooked simply because of enthusiasm of a new release. I know you and others are excited for this release, but what Namco/FROM has done here is scummy.

We have been talking about it for about a week BEFORE the game came out. Has nothing to do with when I bought it. Go back a few pages.

#185 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I beat about 4 bosses today entered a bunch of new eras. Just joined a new PvP covenant which is basically the forest covenant from DS1. The game is fantastic but moment for moment I think DS1 is better.

#186 Posted by MirkoS77 (7209 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@dvader654 said:

We have been talking about it for about a week BEFORE the game came out. Has nothing to do with when I bought it. Go back a few pages.

So what? I'm not on the forums 24/7. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that FROM has not come out and clarified why this was done, nor explains or excuses the fact that they are using inaccurate photos on the box to sell it.

#187 Posted by cooolio (451 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39: The Levitating Knight, The Pursuer, is easy in my opinion. I forgot what you get when you beat him. I believe that the ign guide said that you have to fight him at some point.

#188 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

Holy hell that Ruin Sentinel Trio Boss. If there's a way to solo that fight, I'm probably not the guy to do it. After about 5 attempts, I got two great summons that did a tremendous job.

#189 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@c_rakestraw: I've killed all four now and yeah, that one remains the only one that's easy. The other three are challenging. Interesting thing about these bosses is that they're tough to get to, for the most part.

The Rotten, after the Black Marsh or whatever that horrid area was called, is the best example. Everything before him is tough to get through, and it wouldn't really be if I didn't have to deal with the hundreds of poison shooting statues.

#190 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

I put the game on "Hard" mode today. It's like a whole new game :D

#191 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39: i thought for sure he was going to be like the black knights in dark souls 1. oh, well. i've still got lots of exploring to do in that area anyway.

#192 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@dvader654 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@dvader654 said:

So what? I'm not on the forums 24/7. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that FROM has not come out and clarified why this was done, nor explains or excuses the fact that they are using inaccurate photos on the box to sell it.

I agree. That is what I am saying.

#193 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Second great soul get!!! Fun boss battle.

#194 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I've got 50k souls and I'm level 45, now before I splurge, as a melee char, what should I avoid? I feel like you have to choose between dex and str and dex is pointless. So far I'm 20 and 18 respectively, feels like a waste...I went have dex in demons and it was great, not sure anymore.

#195 Edited by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -
@F1Lengend said:

I've got 50k souls and I'm level 45, now before I splurge, as a melee char, what should I avoid? I feel like you have to choose between dex and str and dex is pointless. So far I'm 20 and 18 respectively, feels like a waste...I went have dex in demons and it was great, not sure anymore.

Depends on what sort of weapons you're using. Some work best with a lot of strength and dexterity while others excel only with a single stat. If you're weapon has at least C-grade scaling on both strength and dexterity and you plan to keep using it, invest in both. If it doesn't, stick with whatever strikes your fancy.

#196 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I am like 40 hours in and halfway done and I have yet to find a weapon that is A in dex, I dont even think I have a B. No katanas yet. Its all strength weapons.

#197 Posted by kaealy (1454 posts) -

@F1Lengend said:

I am like 40 hours in and halfway done and I have yet to find a weapon that is A in dex, I dont even think I have a B. No katanas yet. Its all strength weapons.

I agree here, there's a shortage of DEX weapons. I don't get why it's that way at all. I haven't even found any decent bows yet.

#199 Edited by Ish_basic (4001 posts) -

@kaealy said:

@dvader654 said:

@F1Lengend said:

I agree here, there's a shortage of DEX weapons. I don't get why it's that way at all. I haven't even found any decent bows yet.

only A dex weapon I know of that you can get fairly quickly is Ricard's Rapier which can be found in Huntsman's Copse....it's tricky.

Everything else, you're really looking at Iron Keep and beyond. The alonne knights there actually drop an A rated katana...in general in this game, anything the enemy is wearing or holding you can loot if you get lucky. But also after the Iron Keep you can gain access to a certain vendor who sells an Uchigatana. And there's a few more katanas later on. But you'll have to stick with scimitars and rapiers in the early going. Most dex weapons are actually spears, twinspears and whips.

#200 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

Thanks for the info. I've started all three souls games with a dex build, and I'm still having to rely on a Falchion +5 and Rapier for most of my damage. I am pleased, though, that the Large Club is available early. Gonna crush some dudes again with that thing when I roll an str character.