Official Dark Souls 2 thread of preparing to die again!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Welcome to the Dark Souls 2 thread! In case you have no clue what this game is just know it will kick your ass, you will cry from the pain but you will love it. For most of us we are just excited to jump back into these amazing worlds and slowly die our way to victory.

Release Date: 360/PS3: 3/11 for NA. 3/14 for EU. PC is not confirmed for NA yet but EU is coming 4/25 so that seems to be the best guess.

Videos:

Of Masks and Dragons

Despair

Go Beyond Death

Aching Bones

Cursed

UK Cinema Spot

JP Spot

Dark Souls II - Hollow Lullaby

Making Dark Souls 2: A New World, Engine, & Exclusive Gameplay (Part 1)

IGN 12 Minutes Gameplay

EpicNameBro Beta Impressions

VaatiVidya PVP- Everything We Know So Far

VaatiVidya- 5 New Features in Dark Souls 2

Reviews: Embargo ends on 3/11 at noon.

From some impressions of people that have it early seems like PS3 version has slightly worse frame rate than 360.

Oh and SPOILER TAG ALL SPOILERS! BOSS BATTLES AND NEW LOCATIONS ARE SPOILERS.

#2 Posted by Ballroompirate (22262 posts) -

I made a hype thread over at System Wars, feel free to use any information from my hype thread :)

#4 Posted by CTR360 (6941 posts) -

nice thread i cant wait for epic dark souls 2 5 days before release

#5 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

I couldn't get release day delivery for whatever reason, I gotta wait one extra day to get my copy. But at least it's almost here. Nice description in the OP, heh.

#6 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

So this is happening, people on gaf who are watching streams of playing it have confirmed a GIGANTIC LIGHTING DOWNGRADE. It seems the game has removed all dynamic lighting from the console versions. Yes the same versions that played just fine during the beta and in demos, something happened with the final release.

Here is the comparison shots from the demo version and the retail version, demo on top.

More at the link

#7 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
#8 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (9920 posts) -

Graphics Weren't that important anyway. I'm concerned about its so called "Difficulty".

#9 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Graphics Weren't that important anyway. I'm concerned about its so called "Difficulty".

Too bad, its hard as shit and you will die. :P

#10 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9920 posts) -

I got no problem with dying or Failure. My concern is the consequences for dying are extreme, giving one the sense that death is discouraged, yet you sometimes you have to die, learn by dying. Trial and Error. Nothing wrong with learning by dying, but dying shouldn't be a pain in the ass if its inevitable. its very sadistic.

#11 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (598 posts) -

let me raise this point as a guy who has NOT played ds1 (I will) and notices a great divide between its "difficulty" opinions: cheap difficulty.

I've seen both sides vehemently argue their points and all I can do is hope that number 2 gets rid of those issues, since, I tend to agree with the "cheap" point of view.

#12 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I got no problem with dying or Failure. My concern is the consequences for dying are extreme, giving one the sense that death is discouraged, yet you sometimes you have to die, learn by dying. Trial and Error. Nothing wrong with learning by dying, but dying shouldn't be a pain in the ass if its inevitable. its very sadistic.

Well you never have to die, but you will die cause the game is super hard and learning how not to make the same mistakes is a huge part of it. This is the ultimate game of playing smart, go slowly and be prepared.

There is not one cheap death in all of this series, every death is because the player was not paying attention or just played poorly in combat. (Or some level 100 dude invaded your game, which you can unsummon with the correct item)

#13 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9920 posts) -

@ udUbdaWgz1

They needen't change anything..... Some people like Artificial Difficulty. From Software just needs to stop lying about it and come clean with what their game really is. I'm sure theres a few people out there looking for a genuine challenge and won't appreciate what they're actually getting and wouldve liked the truth before buying the game.

#14 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (598 posts) -

@dvader654:

imo, one of the absolute cheapest ways to "increase difficulty" is through trial and error deaths. it's one of the reason way back when I started despising "boss" fights.

learn their behavior and win. and, it's not real difficulty.

from my perspective, "playing smart" means memorization.

and, all of that is boredom at its finest, for me.

#15 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@dvader654:

imo, one of the absolute cheapest ways to "increase difficulty" is through trial and error deaths. it's one of the reason way back when I started despising "boss" fights.

learn their behavior and win. and, it's not real difficulty.

from my perspective, "playing smart" means memorization.

and, all of that is boredom at its finest, for me.

So how do you beat any boss then? What boss have you played where learning their behavior isnt the way to win? It must be a really shitty boss if you can simply go up to it and smack it with no strategy what so ever and win.

#16 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (9920 posts) -

@ dvader654

How does one learn how not to make mistakes, you're dropped in the middle of hell and no absolutely nothing, you won't even know how the attributes of your Avatar will affect your performance. you can't plan if you don't know whats going to kill you.

Its not hard, you wana learn something, you go there and let it kill you, now you're ready, well if you're playing online somebody will do that for you and leave you a tip on how to not die. Mind you this is a game that kills people who have strategy guides, imagine whats gona happen to the most cautious and careful of gamers on the 1st playthrough. You'l die.

Obviously you'l die because you did something wrong...... But you won't know that until you've done it.

#17 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (598 posts) -

@dvader654:

I try and make sure my games don't have gameplay that emphasizes "boss fights" or, at least, relatively few.

it's gimmicky and I don't enjoy it as an overall design philosophy.

I blame the Asian gaming industry, lol.

#18 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@dvader654:

I try and make sure my games don't have gameplay that emphasizes "boss fights" or, at least, relatively few.

it's gimmicky and I don't enjoy it as an overall design philosophy.

I blame the Asian gaming industry, lol.

Wow. Ok then. Yeah not your type of game.

#19 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@ dvader654

How does one learn how not to make mistakes, you're dropped in the middle of hell and no absolutely nothing, you won't even know how the attributes of your Avatar will affect your performance. you can't plan if you don't know whats going to kill you.

Its not hard, you wana learn something, you go there and let it kill you, now you're ready, well if you're playing online somebody will do that for you and leave you a tip on how to not die. Mind you this is a game that kills people who have strategy guides, imagine whats gona happen to the most cautious and careful of gamers on the 1st playthrough. You'l die.

Obviously you'l die because you did something wrong...... But you won't know that until you've done it.

The attributes are explained in the instruction manual so thats not an issue. Yes the game is HARD, even if you know what to do it takes incredible skill, patience and correct usuage of your weapons and items. That is why it is GREAT. It is not some game you simply plow through. It is not a game where you can use the lowest common denominator moves and get by. Every single moment is an adventure, every single room is exciting, every single battle against an enemy means something.

#20 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Oh look, another Dark Souls thread immediately derailed by people arguing over the difficulty. Yeah, that's new.

Otherwise great OP @dvader654! Tuesday can't come soon enough!

#21 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

Let's not turn this into yet another debate on Dark Souls' difficulty, shall we? Just once I'd like to see one of these threads not be derailed by that tired subject.

#22 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (598 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39:

I have only recently begun discussing dark souls and, therefore, it's a valid issue.

and, lol, to think a thread gets "derailed" when discussing a topic within the very op's title is laughable.

#23 Edited by cooolio (435 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Well you never have to die, but you will die cause the game is super hard and learning how not to make the same mistakes is a huge part of it. This is the ultimate game of playing smart, go slowly and be prepared.

There is not one cheap death in all of this series, every death is because the player was not paying attention or just played poorly in combat. (Or some level 100 dude invaded your game, which you can unsummon with the correct item)

How was i suppose to know that the chest was a mimic? The floor switches did not give me trouble, but how is the player suppose to know about those or the mimic?

#24 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39:

I have only recently begun discussing dark souls and, therefore, it's a valid issue.

and, lol, to think a thread gets "derailed" when discussing a topic within the very op's title is laughable.

Because every time it's brought up the threads devolve into shouting matches over that one, simple part of the game. Honestly, I'm sick of it. Every Dark Souls thread that's been posted these past several months has succumbed to it. Makes it difficult to actually talk about the game when everyone keeps steering discussion toward its challenge. Plus, it's just a tired, boring subject now.

#25 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9920 posts) -

@ dvader654

And you will die anyway. Its not difficult, its unforgiving and very punishing but not difficult. COD is not difficult either but making you repeat the entire level if you die could make it seem that way, meanwhile some other games are difficult but not as punishing if you do screw up hell some games let you screw up without killing you off, instead you just get alil damage and a chance to redeem yourself. . Granted Dark Souls gives a chance to redeem yourself if you die but you gotta redo everything you've already done in between where you died and the bonfire. Not to mention resource management and preperation only works if you know where and how to get the resources you need and know each enemy and its location to prepare for it.

Death is Punishing and therefor is discouraged yet simultaneously also necessary.

You know what wouldve been nice ? If you could send out a pawn to go die for you then you can perform an autopsy to find out how it died and gather info about your enemy and then you can kill it without having to die.

#26 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@cooolio said:

@dvader654 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

How was i suppose to know that the chest was a mimic? The floor switches did not give me trouble, but how is the player suppose to know about those or the mimic?

If you are not stabbing every chest you come up upon its your fault for being eaten by a mimic. Also almost always you will have warning messages.

As for lulu, I may want to hear more about your definition about difficulty later but as we have been told lets not do this here.

#27 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (9920 posts) -

@ dvader654

But doesn't somebody have to die to figure out the chest is not supposed to be opened in order for them to leave the message ?

As for my definition of Difficulty, itscomplicated and partly bullsh!t but The Short summary of it is speed, I consider speed a good form of difficulty, the faster it is the harder it becomes. Applies to just about everything, except speed has nothing to do with more intelluctual challenges. You can't beat a puzzle by being quick and agile.

#28 Posted by cooolio (435 posts) -

@cooolio said:

@dvader654 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

If you are not stabbing every chest you come up upon its your fault for being eaten by a mimic. Also almost always you will have warning messages.

As for lulu, I may want to hear more about your definition about difficulty later but as we have been told lets not do this here.

Too be honest Dark Souls was a fun game that I did not enjoy to the fullest because i knew at least somethings about the ending and bosses. I even read a little of some guides when i played, including the part with the first mimic. I just died because i forgot what the guide said.

Anyway, i do not care how cautious you are suppose to be in Dark Souls, not everyone is going to know that you should stab chests. You are right, it is your fault, AFTER YOU ARE KILLED BY THE FIRST ONE because there is know way for anyone who is playing that game without any knowledge on what to expect to know about the first mimic. I would also like to not that I did not have a message to warn me.

#29 Posted by cooolio (435 posts) -

I am actually extremely excited to play Dark Souls ll. The first one was fun do the since of discovery in the world and the since of accomplishment you get after making to a bonfire after countless enemies and beating a boss that stood in the way of a goal. Actually, the best things is seeing the results of your efforts. However, as i stated earlier my time with Dark Souls was not as exciting as I would have liked it to be due the fact that I spoiled most of the boss and ending is someways before I played. I also would have preferred for it to be more open and the combat was not that great to me due to the fact that each weapon had few moves and the animations were not that cool to me.

Dark Souls 2 is really shaping up to be a one of a kind experience. It now has a more open world aspect to it and duel wielding adds a whole new dynamic. The Dual Swordsman is definitely going to be my choice for my first playthrough. I know that it will be harder, but it is going to worth it.

#30 Edited by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39:

First off, this is a thread about Dark Souls II, not the original Dark Souls. Arguing over the difficulty from the first game matters not in a thread designed to get hyped about the second. Discuss aspects of the first game, go ahead, but don't make it the only focal point when we're trying to talk about the new game.

Secondly, you're using the word "discuss" pretty loosely. It boils down to a fight and neither side ever budges. It being new to you is meaningless since you're taking the same combative stance as we see from other users (on both sides). The arguing is tiresome and petty at this point.

Third, you clearly have a different opinion on how the game should be designed. Fine, don't play it then. OH wait... you haven't.

let me raise this point as a guy who has NOT played ds1 (I will) and notices a great divide between its "difficulty" opinions: cheap difficulty.

I've seen both sides vehemently argue their points and all I can do is hope that number 2 gets rid of those issues, since, I tend to agree with the "cheap" point of view.

So you haven't played the game, yet you're taking a side. More interesting, is that you defend your recent discussion of Dark Souls as validation for derailing a thread yet you yourself said you've seen "both sides vehemently argue" already. So you know exactly why @c_rakestraw and I are already irritated.

#31 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -
#32 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

@c_rakestraw Are you getting the game day 1?

Yep. No way am I missing out on discovering everything first-hand alongside everyone else. Should be fun.

#33 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@c_rakestraw: Awesome. For some reason I thought you said you weren't going to, don't know why.

I'm excited to see how everything is going to work. I've been looking at all the new stats and classes trying to figure out what to play as. But I think looking up Covenants will spoil the experience so there's lots of experimentation ahead!

#34 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9920 posts) -

I might actually get this, just to see if I'm right. I mean, I think I'm right, but if I play it, I'l know I'm right. ;p

#35 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39: Might have mistaken me for someone else. Seen at least a couple of our Dark Souls fanatics say they weren't sure if they were going to get it day one.

Really curious to see how splitting HP from vitality and making equip burden no longer dictate movement speed is going to play out. Didn't get enough time to experiment with those in the beta. Definitely going to make stat-allocation more difficult, though. Doubly so with resistance apparently becoming somewhat useful now.

#36 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@c_rakestraw: Probably.

Resistance isn't in it anymore. That and agility from the beta are rolled into "Adaptability" in the final game. It looks to be one useful skill, but there's going to be a lot of customization going on with this game. Should be exciting to see what stuff people create.

#37 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

@cooolio: mimics differ from real chests in their shade of color and the shape of their chain. even without that, i was attacking chests before i got to sen's fortress. there's a treasure chest near the bonfire of the swamp at the bottom of blight town. it breaks all the rules of treasure chests in these games. it's right next to a bonfire so it's easy to find and low risk and it's in the back of an open room where there should be enemies/traps but there aren't. it ended up not being a mimic and no monsters jumped out, but i found it very unsettling anyway. it felt like i was being set up for something.

that sort of experience is one reason why i'm looking forward to dark souls II.

#38 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I might actually get this, just to see if I'm right. I mean, I think I'm right, but if I play it, I'l know I'm right. ;p

You do now none of us really care if you think you are right. :P

But yes get it if you think you would enjoy it.

Crake, you said weight doesnt tie into movement speed?! Woah. That changes everything.

#39 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament: Everytime I enter that room to grab the Dragon Scale I worry that some phantom beast demon thing is going to show up. Horribly unsettling room, even though I've been there several dozen times.

I wasn't attacking chests then but I had found out earlier in the game that you could escape grabs, so the first mimic didn't kill me anyway.

#40 Posted by Ballroompirate (22262 posts) -

The reason why they probably removed the dramatic lighting is cause of frame rate issues it might cause, that would be my guess. Anyways gonna get this day 1, sucks though it comes out the same day as Titanfall, I'll be torn between the two :(

#41 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9920 posts) -

@ dvader654

You care, you just won't admit it, and you won' t admit that you won't admit it. Lol :D

At the very least I'l have fun in a proper open world enviroment, not that 1000 square miles of pure nothing in Skyrim. Also got high hopes for the level of precision in combat that you just don't get in other RPGs.

Actually I might get Dragons Dogma instead, its got better gameplay.

#42 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (598 posts) -

at Indiana- it's fine and no big deal to me. I've looked at some of the past dark soul threads and can see how you may have just reached your limit to the issue, lol.

for me, i'm getting the original, regardless, of which side i take (and, yes, I've made a judgment based on what I've researched) the difficulty type.

like I said, I hope dark souls2 gets rid of the "cheap" deaths and difficulty that many people feel bring down the original.

when I play it and, if i'm wrong, i'll publicly apologize to all the apologists, lol.

#43 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39: They did? Huh. Interesting.

Crake, you said weight doesnt tie into movement speed?! Woah. That changes everything.

Yeah. Or at least it was that way in the beta. The agility stat handled everything related to movement: roll speed, parries, how fast you raise your shield, etc. Equip burden had no impact on it. The way they seem to be counteracting that is by giving armor sets stat-requirements and giving heavy armor sets less poise (somewhere around 20 points seemed to be the average). But again, that's just based on the beta. Who knows how much has changed since then.

#44 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

at Indiana- it's fine and no big deal to me. I've looked at some of the past dark soul threads and can see how you may have just reached your limit to the issue, lol.

for me, i'm getting the original, regardless, of which side i take (and, yes, I've made a judgment based on what I've researched) the difficulty type.

like I said, I hope dark souls2 gets rid of the "cheap" deaths and difficulty that many people feel bring down the original.

when I play it and, if i'm wrong, i'll publicly apologize to all the apologists, lol.

But its basically the same game, if not harder this time.

#45 Edited by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@c_rakestraw: Yup. Adaptability apparently allows you to increase movement speed and all that good stuff plus resisting poison, bleed, and the new "I'm sure I'm going to hate this" guard breaks.

Was "Vitality" in the beta? I don't remember. There's Vigor (health) and then Vitality which is just your equipment load.

Anyway I found this out while looking at the starting classes. The info is a bit scattered but the way the official Dark Souls page made it sound like the Warrior is the only starting class with a shield. The Deprived doesn't even get a weapon at all now.

#46 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

I'm actually looking forward to experimenting more with magic this time around. I usually shun the sorcerer route in favor of melee combat in most of the RPGs I've been through. In DkS 1 I only went with magic as far as getting a few weapon buffs.

I wonder if they'll make us muck through another swamp level. We've had the Valley, we've had Blighttown... something for the sequel? *shudders*

#47 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39: Yeah, it was in the beta right alongside Vigor. That's where the separation of the two was discovered.

#48 Edited by cooolio (435 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament: Why were you attacking chests before the first mimic? Well, I guess your use to stuff like that in a game. I am sorry, but I am not that cautious or experienced. I know that the game is hard and full of danger could be and is in every area.

#49 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (598 posts) -

@dvader654:

I like hard games and rpg's are my favorite genre. therefore, at it's cheap price dark souls will be worth the bit of money to see if I like it.

so, i'm not really sure what you're comment is referring too, exactly.

2 isn't out, yet, and, it could eliminate some of the issues some have said may be in it ;)

#50 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

So it seems that lighting a torch in areas gives some nice lighting, so its not as bad as those screenshots seem.

Crake, others, what class are you guys thinking of playing as.