Official ''Can't remember the title of a game'' thread 2.0

#651 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -

I played a game around the time that Starcraft was out so it was around 1997 to 2000.

It was a first person puzzle adventure game similar to Myst where you solve puzzles in a house and I think you were transported to other worlds(or maybe just other times?)

It was a scary game at the time for me(it's not 7th guest). In the beginning of the game you enter a house and need to turn the power on. Once you have turned the power on and made your way upstairs you see a TV in the master bedroom, on the TV you see the house you are currently in seemingly from the eyes of a monster and it begins running toward the house and up the stairs and into the room you are in. You never see the monster but black out and appear in a different location(you might just wake up on the bed I don't remember.)

I remember at one point you are in a garden and while walking through hedges the character, who is a guy, says, "damn roses." Which I thought was nuts because I was like 8 and wasn't used to hearing video game people cuss.

There is also an ice like level that involves a rail system for either you or a doll to move across a frozen lake with holes cut into the water in order to solve various puzzles.

The only other thing I can remember about the game was that it came on a cd not a floppy and you did need to disc in while you played it, you couldn't just install it.

I borrowed it from a friend so it very well be a game much older than 1997 though if I recall it had pretty good environmental graphics.

Sparky04
Try these: AMBER: Journeys Beyond Shivers Two: Harvest of Souls Weird: Truth is Stranger than Fiction
#652 Posted by Sparky04 (3384 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sparky04"]

I played a game around the time that Starcraft was out so it was around 1997 to 2000.

It was a first person puzzle adventure game similar to Myst where you solve puzzles in a house and I think you were transported to other worlds(or maybe just other times?)

It was a scary game at the time for me(it's not 7th guest). In the beginning of the game you enter a house and need to turn the power on. Once you have turned the power on and made your way upstairs you see a TV in the master bedroom, on the TV you see the house you are currently in seemingly from the eyes of a monster and it begins running toward the house and up the stairs and into the room you are in. You never see the monster but black out and appear in a different location(you might just wake up on the bed I don't remember.)

I remember at one point you are in a garden and while walking through hedges the character, who is a guy, says, "damn roses." Which I thought was nuts because I was like 8 and wasn't used to hearing video game people cuss.

There is also an ice like level that involves a rail system for either you or a doll to move across a frozen lake with holes cut into the water in order to solve various puzzles.

The only other thing I can remember about the game was that it came on a cd not a floppy and you did need to disc in while you played it, you couldn't just install it.

I borrowed it from a friend so it very well be a game much older than 1997 though if I recall it had pretty good environmental graphics.

Black_Knight_00
Try these: AMBER: Journeys Beyond Shivers Two: Harvest of Souls Weird: Truth is Stranger than Fiction

It was AMBER: Journeys Beyond, thank you so much, that was impressive, I'm trying to act all cool but I'm super excited right now, I read the wikipedia description and every detail figuratively smacked me in the face reminding me more about the game, I completely forgot about the ghost hunting equipment around the house.
#653 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -
It was AMBER: Journeys Beyond, thank you so much, that was impressive, I'm trying to act all cool but I'm super excited right now, I read the wikipedia description and every detail figuratively smacked me in the face reminding me more about the game, I completely forgot about the ghost hunting equipment around the house.Sparky04
haha you're welcome ;) The game is pretty easy to find too, if you want to replay it.
#654 Posted by Burniz (12 posts) -

Hey!! i have to answer a survey with some questions on video games and i can't find the answer for this one!! Can anybody help me?? thanks in advance!!

Question : In the world of a very famous strategy game on PC, I mean a veteran residing in an exoskeleton. 16-bit, I am known for my incredible ability to jump. In a particular game, a warrior with this title has betrayed his best friend, then redeemed himself at the last minute. What is the name of this warrior?

Burniz!!

#655 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -

Hey!! i have to answer a survey with some questions on video games and i can't find the answer for this one!! Can anybody help me?? thanks in advance!!

Question : In the world of a very famous strategy game on PC, I mean a veteran residing in an exoskeleton. 16-bit, I am known for my incredible ability to jump. In a particular game, a warrior with this title has betrayed his best friend, then redeemed himself at the last minute. What is the name of this warrior?

Burniz!!

Burniz
Very famous PC strategy game with exoskeletons must be StarCraft or Warhammer 40k, no?
#656 Posted by Thundernoob2 (0 posts) -
I saw your sig about this thread and knew I had to come ask about this one game I remember as a kid playing at my friends house I think on an old dos system. It was a really creepy weird point and click game. Some parts I remember was that it started after the apocalypse and only a few people were alive. you play as 5 characters who started out locked in some type of personal torture box and your being tormented by aliens or robots. And if I remember right they were being infinitely tortured as they would be resurrected if they died. Your char gets out and has to get through a green world as a monkey I think. I remember one part you are thirsty and you have an option to eat this fruit but die because it was filled with acid. I do remember it had full voice acting. This is really vague but if someone could somehow tell me what game this was so I can look up a lets play on youtube. I had no clue what was going on in that game as a kid but might be able to understand it now.
#658 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -
[QUOTE="Thundernoob2"]I saw your sig about this thread and knew I had to come ask about this one game I remember as a kid playing at my friends house I think on an old dos system. It was a really creepy weird point and click game. Some parts I remember was that it started after the apocalypse and only a few people were alive. you play as 5 characters who started out locked in some type of personal torture box and your being tormented by aliens or robots. And if I remember right they were being infinitely tortured as they would be resurrected if they died. Your char gets out and has to get through a green world as a monkey I think. I remember one part you are thirsty and you have an option to eat this fruit but die because it was filled with acid. I do remember it had full voice acting. This is really vague but if someone could somehow tell me what game this was so I can look up a lets play on youtube. I had no clue what was going on in that game as a kid but might be able to understand it now.

Sounds like "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream"
#659 Posted by alim298 (1196 posts) -

A Ps1 title. It was a beat 'em up game. The only significant thing that I can remeber about it is that in addition to bats and pipes, you could use rifles to take down your enemies. Also it wasn't a 3rd person game but a 2.5D game (kind of side-scrolling). 

#660 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -
Also it wasn't a 3rd person game but a 2.5D game (kind of side-scrolling)alim298
I don't understand this sentence, what do you mean by 'it wasn't 3rd person?' Anyway, look at Fighting Force 1 and 2
#661 Posted by alim298 (1196 posts) -

[QUOTE="alim298"]Also it wasn't a 3rd person game but a 2.5D game (kind of side-scrolling)Black_Knight_00
I don't understand this sentence, what do you mean by 'it wasn't 3rd person?' Anyway, look at Fighting Force 1 and 2

Seems what I'm looking for is nowhere to be found. I checked every list that I knew but none has it. Maybe it was only released in Japan. I don't know. But if you still are eager to find it let me explain it better:

It is not like spiderman or fighting force where the camera is behind the character (third person). It's more like those double dragons games where you would move in a 2d world (side-scrolling). The difference is that it is rendered in 3D which makes it 2.5D. The most remarkable feature of the game would be the use of rifles amongst pipes, bats etc. You would use them the same way which means when there was no more ammo in them, they would disappear. You could choose between 4 or 5 characters. One resembling Bruce Lee in black robe. It was not a fantasy game. The levels consisted of subways, streets, parks etc. 

#662 Posted by Thundernoob2 (0 posts) -
Wow thanks I just saw that there is a lets play of I have no mouth and I must scream and its definitely as creepy as I remember. Thanks for the fast reply
#663 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -
Wow thanks I just saw that there is a lets play of I have no mouth and I must scream and its definitely as creepy as I remember. Thanks for the fast replyThundernoob2
You're welcome ;)
#664 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="alim298"]Also it wasn't a 3rd person game but a 2.5D game (kind of side-scrolling)alim298

Seems what I'm looking for is nowhere to be found. I checked every list that I knew but none has it. Maybe it was only released in Japan. I don't know. But if you still are eager to find it let me explain it better:

It is not like spiderman or fighting force where the camera is behind the character (third person). It's more like those double dragons games where you would move in a 2d world (side-scrolling). The difference is that it is rendered in 3D which makes it 2.5D. The most remarkable feature of the game would be the use of rifles amongst pipes, bats etc. You would use them the same way which means when there was no more ammo in them, they would disappear. You could choose between 4 or 5 characters. One resembling Bruce Lee in black robe. It was not a fantasy game. The levels consisted of subways, streets, parks etc. 

Try Body Hazard (aka Perfect Weapon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LE71TzpO8w

Crisis Beat

Gekido

#665 Posted by alim298 (1196 posts) -

[QUOTE="alim298"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] I don't understand this sentence, what do you mean by 'it wasn't 3rd person?' Anyway, look at Fighting Force 1 and 2Black_Knight_00

Try Body Hazard (aka Perfect Weapon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LE71TzpO8w

Crisis Beat

Gekido

This is most embarrassing. I probably crossed Gekido 10 times in my searches and just when you mentioned it I realized it was what I was looking for. Deeply sorry to bother you with this. Thanks :)

#666 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -
This is most embarrassing. I probably crossed Gekido 10 times in my searches and just when you mentioned it I realized it was what I was looking for. Deeply sorry to bother you with this. Thanks :)alim298
No bother at all, you're welcome ;)
#667 Posted by Jldrager (0 posts) -
Cant remember title of game... from 2000's on Original Xbox. played a British brunette who had a talking purple robot monkey who can do flips in her room. she had a male friend who was a computer wiz and was suppose to fix the robot monkey later in the day but disappears and when you go to see him there are deadly robots in his room so she goes into other realms to look for him (you play other characters also but i cant really remember them) you do alot of running around in the game.... please help!!!
#668 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -
Cant remember title of game... from 2000's on Original Xbox. played a British brunette who had a talking purple robot monkey who can do flips in her room. she had a male friend who was a computer wiz and was suppose to fix the robot monkey later in the day but disappears and when you go to see him there are deadly robots in his room so she goes into other realms to look for him (you play other characters also but i cant really remember them) you do alot of running around in the game.... please help!!!Jldrager
Malice?
#669 Posted by unicornism (0 posts) -
Ok... this is driving me INSANE. I've been looking for a couple hours and can't find it. I found someone ELSE looking for the game a year ago on Yahoo answers, but no one was ever able to tell them what it was. It was a science/biology-type educational game for the PC. I think it was made 1995 - 1999. The main character was a red haired scientist in a lab coat who was balding on top. I think he had glasses too. According to the other person I saw searching for the game: "The game had a lot of puzzles and scientific facts, but I remember little else. The only lyric I remember to the song they sung was 'Biology, Biology, it's the study of you and me!' 'There was a 'hub' where you could select which section of the game you wanted to go into, I think there was also a physics section, where it gave you various physics puzzles to solve' " Anyone know or have any guesses?
#670 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -

Ok... this is driving me INSANE. I've been looking for a couple hours and can't find it. I found someone ELSE looking for the game a year ago on Yahoo answers, but no one was ever able to tell them what it was. It was a science/biology-type educational game for the PC. I think it was made 1995 - 1999. The main character was a red haired scientist in a lab coat who was balding on top. I think he had glasses too. According to the other person I saw searching for the game: "The game had a lot of puzzles and scientific facts, but I remember little else. The only lyric I remember to the song they sung was 'Biology, Biology, it's the study of you and me!' 'There was a 'hub' where you could select which section of the game you wanted to go into, I think there was also a physics section, where it gave you various physics puzzles to solve' " Anyone know or have any guesses?unicornism
I'm afraid the best I can do is to point you here:

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/windows/educational/list-games/

Sort them by year (twice) and see if any ring a bell.

#671 Posted by darkmask1991 (817 posts) -
It was a ps one game.It had licensed planes and you could race and battle at the same time, You could also paint them and put liveries.
#672 Posted by Planeforger (15526 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jldrager"]Cant remember title of game... from 2000's on Original Xbox. played a British brunette who had a talking purple robot monkey who can do flips in her room. she had a male friend who was a computer wiz and was suppose to fix the robot monkey later in the day but disappears and when you go to see him there are deadly robots in his room so she goes into other realms to look for him (you play other characters also but i cant really remember them) you do alot of running around in the game.... please help!!!Black_Knight_00
Malice?

It's definitely Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

#673 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Yeah that game was definitely Dreamfall. Recently finished it. Didn't like the ending. Thought it was a little dumb, will definitely play a sequel though.

Also, why did the new TMNT arcade game get bad reviews? I'm really liking it.

#674 Posted by gameme199 (13 posts) -

i played the hit out of Fighting Force with my brother :) good days

#675 Posted by Byshop (11138 posts) -

This kind of thread cracks me up, because people come in remember only some silly, minor details about some 15 to 20 year old game while offering no real useful information about it and they expect people to magically know what game it is.

So here's mine! :lol:

When I was a teenager (so like 20 years ago) I -once- played a standup arcade game. It was a 2D side scroller (left to right), Rygar or Castlevania-style sci-fi game in which you controlled a Macross style robot that ran along the ground shooting enemies and jumping outdoors (at least outdoors in the first level, which is about as far as I got). The twist was there was a transform button you could hit that turned your robot into a plane (also very Macross style). It reminded me A LOT of the original Silpheed game for PC back in the days of CGA graphics (transforming robot/fighter plane that looked blatantly ripped off from Macross that moved around in a 2d side scroller).

Honestly, the whole game screamed Macross but all the Macross games that I've found on the web were side or top scrolling schmups and you couldn't walk on the ground in any of them. I'm not sure if the game ever had a US release, because I think if it had been in English I would have remembered the title but again it was sometime in the 90s. I also have no idea if the game was actually -from- the 90s. I don't mean that it time travelled from the future to kill Sarah Connor, but it's possible that the game was no spring chicken by the time I got around to it. Looking at titles from the early 90s, the graphics could have been a bit more primitive and possibly from a machine from the 80s (although probably late 80s).

Also, because it was so long ago, any one or more of these details could be completely wrong.

(spoken like the guy on the other end of the phone in Taken):  "Good luck..."

-Byshop

#676 Posted by Byshop (11138 posts) -

Ok... this is driving me INSANE. I've been looking for a couple hours and can't find it. I found someone ELSE looking for the game a year ago on Yahoo answers, but no one was ever able to tell them what it was. It was a science/biology-type educational game for the PC. I think it was made 1995 - 1999. The main character was a red haired scientist in a lab coat who was balding on top. I think he had glasses too. According to the other person I saw searching for the game: "The game had a lot of puzzles and scientific facts, but I remember little else. The only lyric I remember to the song they sung was 'Biology, Biology, it's the study of you and me!' 'There was a 'hub' where you could select which section of the game you wanted to go into, I think there was also a physics section, where it gave you various physics puzzles to solve' " Anyone know or have any guesses?unicornism

Is this the song you are referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aynclw6TXeE&noredirect=1

(I just googled the quote) :P

The game is "The Universe According To Virgil Reality"

Google is your friend.

Edit: LoL, it's by 7th Level. When I worked at Office Depot in my teens, these guys made the sh!tty "games" that would come free with your new Packard Bell or Compaq computer.

2nd Edit: I've had that song stuck in my head for days now. Screw you unicornism!! :lol:

-Byshop

#677 Posted by TeamPrime7 (0 posts) -
Xbox 360 3 v 3 Tournament. $240 prize!!! My team is hosting a 3 v 3 tournament for Call of Duty Black Ops 2. The game type is Search and Destroy. Its going to be an intense tournament, so if you think your team has the chance to go against whats out there, join us and may the best team win. For more information, follow the link provided. Hope to see you there. challonge.com/teamprime7
#678 Posted by Sofia90 (0 posts) -
In 2007 I played an adventuregame on the ps3 that i just cant remember!What I remember is this:You started out in your home village, and the game characters where, purple i think but im not shure, elf-like beings.They send you out to search for something that was stolen from the village, i think it was something to do with the four elements, but again, im not shure. This game was in a really beautiful world with lots of colors and you travel around in search for theese stolen things. When you finally found the stolen "object" you had to fight the creature garding it and when you had defeted it you could use and change in to this "element-creature" and use it as a weapon or something like that.Does anything of this sound familiar? I really want to play this game again!
#679 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -
In 2007 I played an adventuregame on the ps3 that i just cant remember!What I remember is this:You started out in your home village, and the game characters where, purple i think but im not shure, elf-like beings.They send you out to search for something that was stolen from the village, i think it was something to do with the four elements, but again, im not shure. This game was in a really beautiful world with lots of colors and you travel around in search for theese stolen things. When you finally found the stolen "object" you had to fight the creature garding it and when you had defeted it you could use and change in to this "element-creature" and use it as a weapon or something like that.Does anything of this sound familiar? I really want to play this game again!Sofia90
That's Kameo, but it's on xbox 360
#680 Posted by Byshop (11138 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sofia90"]In 2007 I played an adventuregame on the ps3 that i just cant remember!What I remember is this:You started out in your home village, and the game characters where, purple i think but im not shure, elf-like beings.They send you out to search for something that was stolen from the village, i think it was something to do with the four elements, but again, im not shure. This game was in a really beautiful world with lots of colors and you travel around in search for theese stolen things. When you finally found the stolen "object" you had to fight the creature garding it and when you had defeted it you could use and change in to this "element-creature" and use it as a weapon or something like that.Does anything of this sound familiar? I really want to play this game again!Black_Knight_00
That's Kameo, but it's on xbox 360

It wouldn't be a "game rememberance request" post if there weren't at least one "red herring" detail that is just completely wrong to throw off would-be helpers. :)

-Byshop

#681 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -
It wouldn't be a "game rememberance request" post if there weren't at least one "red herring" detail that is just completely wrong to throw off would-be helpers. :)

-Byshop

Byshop
Pretty much lol
#684 Posted by jKryptonite (18 posts) -

ok, this is an obscure one..

it was for c64( possibly atari and spectrum)

it was like micro machines, where two players raced to get the other off the screen, top down perspective

very basic colours, red car vs blue car

the most awesome thing: it had a track-creator!

the name was something like Bally Rally, or  something that rhymed

-1000 geek points awarded

#685 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -

ok, this is an obscure one..

it was for c64( possibly atari and spectrum)

it was like micro machines, where two players raced to get the other off the screen, top down perspective

very basic colours, red car vs blue car

the most awesome thing: it had a track-creator!

the name was something like Bally Rally, or  something that rhymed

-1000 geek points awarded

jKryptonite
Try "Racing Destruction Set"
#686 Posted by jKryptonite (18 posts) -
i'm not sure actually.. I remember driving in a farming landscape ( barns, hay, cornfields etc) Is this an option in RDS? I also seem to remember the cars left skidmarks in the corners, and have straight top-down perspective.. but the track-edit screen looked quite similar to the one in RDS RDS seems to have a lot of options so its hard to tell.. Looks like an awesome game nevertheless..
#687 Posted by jKryptonite (18 posts) -
it was this Rally speedway ..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGoLY6tICaQ
#688 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -
Oh well, you found it. That's all that matters :lol:
#689 Posted by lasa111 (0 posts) -
Welcome back to another show of Final Fantasy Union! This display is full of details and conversation. Darryl is signed up with by Lauren and Spencer and they leap straight into the details (and there's a lot). The Seattle Activity Show lately finished and there is a lot of details to review along with a new movie trailer for FF15; tale details for Super Profits Final Fantasy XIV Gil runescape gold
#691 Posted by jKryptonite (18 posts) -

i better get this one off my chest as well..

amiga 500 multi-scrolling,

top down post-apocalyptic world,

you got around in a madmax-like car, which you could exit at will to enter buildings etc. very GTA 1&2

inside you had to shoot mutants to get to weaponcaches, money and such..this part reminds me of Hotline Miami

You could buy stuff and customize the car at the garage or secret bases

It only worked on 1.2v amigas..

For some reason it's not well known despite it's greatness..

#692 Posted by jKryptonite (18 posts) -

Oh well, you found it. That's all that matters :lol:Black_Knight_00

Thanks, RDS looks great! gonna check that one out as well

#693 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -

i better get this one off my chest as well..

amiga 500 multi-scrolling,

top down post-apocalyptic world,

you got around in a madmax-like car, which you could exit at will to enter buildings etc. very GTA 1&2

inside you had to shoot mutants to get to weaponcaches, money and such..this part reminds me of Hotline Miami

You could buy stuff and customize the car at the garage or secret bases

It only worked on 1.2v amigas..

For some reason it's not well known despite it's greatness..

jKryptonite
Road Raider / Motor Massacre
#694 Posted by jKryptonite (18 posts) -
Road Raider / Motor Massacre

Oh yes!!, thats it!! Awesome game..THNX
#695 Posted by Byshop (11138 posts) -

This kind of thread cracks me up, because people come in remember only some silly, minor details about some 15 to 20 year old game while offering no real useful information about it and they expect people to magically know what game it is.

So here's mine! :lol:

When I was a teenager (so like 20 years ago) I -once- played a standup arcade game. It was a 2D side scroller (left to right), Rygar or Castlevania-style sci-fi game in which you controlled a Macross style robot that ran along the ground shooting enemies and jumping outdoors (at least outdoors in the first level, which is about as far as I got). The twist was there was a transform button you could hit that turned your robot into a plane (also very Macross style). It reminded me A LOT of the original Silpheed game for PC back in the days of CGA graphics (transforming robot/fighter plane that looked blatantly ripped off from Macross that moved around in a 2d side scroller).

Honestly, the whole game screamed Macross but all the Macross games that I've found on the web were side or top scrolling schmups and you couldn't walk on the ground in any of them. I'm not sure if the game ever had a US release, because I think if it had been in English I would have remembered the title but again it was sometime in the 90s. I also have no idea if the game was actually -from- the 90s. I don't mean that it time travelled from the future to kill Sarah Connor, but it's possible that the game was no spring chicken by the time I got around to it. Looking at titles from the early 90s, the graphics could have been a bit more primitive and possibly from a machine from the 80s (although probably late 80s).

Also, because it was so long ago, any one or more of these details could be completely wrong.

(spoken like the guy on the other end of the phone in Taken):  "Good luck..."

-Byshop

Byshop

No love for my obscure game? I know it's not a lot to go on, but I've seen posts with less info get answered. :)

-Byshop

#696 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -
Oh yes!!, thats it!! Awesome game..THNXjKryptonite
You're welcome ;)
#697 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -

No love for my obscure game? I know it's not a lot to go on, but I've seen posts with less info get answered. :)

-Byshop

Byshop

Aeroboto?

#698 Posted by Byshop (11138 posts) -

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Black_Knight_00

Aeroboto?

Holy crap! Yeah, that's it. Thanks!

-Byshop

#699 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18259 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Byshop

Aeroboto?

Holy crap! Yeah, that's it. Thanks!

-Byshop

One shot, one kill :lol: You're welcome ;)
#700 Posted by Byshop (11138 posts) -

One shot, one kill :lol: You're welcome ;)Black_Knight_00

Too bad the game looks like crap. That's now your fault, though. :) Apparently there was even an 8-bit Nintendo port. Neat!

-Byshop