Ocarina of Time discussion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Let's remember this game.

What did you love(or hate)about it?

Was Navi really that annoying?

The Water Temple is waay overexaggerated,btw.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

I didnt mind Navi at all, I do remmebr hating the Water Temple, ut it has been forever since I have played and need to playthrough again to see if it is worthy the hate. I love the tunes, and still remeber alot of the Ocarina songs. It was really the first game that gave me the epic adventure feeling, it really let me write my own story and my own link, and how I would film it were a movie.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GreekGameManiac

It was the first game that gave me that "magical,unique" feeling that no other game seemed to captivate.

Everything was just so finely-tuned(for it's time).

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts
IIRC I think I got it for Christmas. Magical game at a magic time of the year = bi-winning
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I remember getting it for Christmas one year and popping it in upon christmas morning completion :P. Our Lady Peaces album "Hapiness...Is not a fish that you can catch" was playing in the background (my favorite band) and the auroma of Eucalyptis (candle) filled the air. What did I love about the game? WHAT DIDN'T I LOVE ABOUT THE GAME!? Best game ever, even today. And no, Navi is possibly my favorite sidekick in the 3D Zelda games. Fi is easily the worst, but the others are all good

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Never played it.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

People don't like Navi?! :(

Also, I remember getting thorugh the water temple fairly easy when I was older but when I was younger, it was really hard and there was some official Nintendo magazine that offered phone support for games and I spammed them with the same question over and over. There was this room with a waterfall or a strong stream or something, I couldn't get past that place! :(

The N64 Zelda games are cool mainly because of the atmosphere though, there's just this underlying eerie atmosphere that by the way Mario 64 also had some of.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts
I remember it fondly as I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan in 98 and had to go to a special dealer in order to get US games. I remember spending most weekends playing the game. I remember the water temple being a complete headache the first time going through it...now, I wonder why I had so much trouble with it.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I loved it because of the strong coming of age story, the temples, graphical styIe, and amazing soundtrack. I think Navi really wasn't that bad (but her interupting every five minutes in the beggining of every replay is kind of annoying) and as TC said the Water Temple is way overexaggerated. It takes more memorization and tedious back tracking than anything.

However I think it has been surpassed by many games.

monkeelogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 monkeelogic
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
For me it was one of the first games i really remember that kept me playing and the story blew my mind when i was that age. yes it did have annoying parts like navi but it made up for it highly in other aspects. now this is my opinion and shouldnt be taken seriously i like majora's mask better purely on vibe. im more of a darker gamer so majora's mask just felt more at home with me. but doesnt mean i like OoT any less i still got a tattoo of the hylian shield from it. lol
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I was a fan of the first Zelda on NES and ALTTP but I hated OOT when I first played it. I didn't take the transition from 2d to 3d very well.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#12 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Navi was annoying, but not in an annoying way if that makes sense. She's too helpful to dislike fully.

I don't know why everyone hates the water temple so much in OoT, it is my second favorite temple behind the Shadow Temple.

Another thing about OoT that I'll never understand: Why does it receive such a disproportionate amount of praise compared to Majora's Mask. Majora's Mask is better; if anything they are equal.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NaveedLife

I loved it because of the strong coming of age story, the temples, graphical styIe, and amazing soundtrack. I think Navi really wasn't that bad (but her interupting every five minutes in the beggining of every replay is kind of annoying) and as TC said the Water Temple is way overexaggerated. It takes more memorization and tedious back tracking than anything.

turtlethetaffer

Cannot stress that one enough. Amazing soundtrack throughout, but what was so awesome was the ocarina and songs. It was put to such good use, and all the tunes were very catchy and fun to listen to.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

NaveedLife

Cannot stress that one enough. Amazing soundtrack throughout, but what was so awesome was the ocarina and songs. It was put to such good use, and all the tunes were very catchy and fun to listen to.

The main npcs also said so much without verbally speaking. This is one reason I'd prefer Nintnedo not to voice act Zelda. IMO, Nintendo does such a phenomenal job with character design and animation, the series doesn't need.
Branmuffin316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Branmuffin316
Member since 2009 • 1208 Posts

Ocarina of Time is one of the only games where there is no part of the game that I don't enjoy. I'm one of the few that like Navi and like most people I struggled with the Water Temple initially, but I think it made the game better.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GreekGameManiac

Yeah,most of the above posts covered me.

My first time playing through the Water Temple,i was stuck abit in the part you have to raise the water in the central tower to find the key in the room under it.

That's it.

Dark Link was abit tough,but i actally beat him the normal way,i swear(you just use the vertical slash at the right time).

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

Ocarina of Time is one of the only games where there is no part of the game that I don't enjoy.

Branmuffin316

I was the opposite, I love the game overall, but there are a few sections I dislike, most notably the sneaking portion in the Gerudo valley and the long-ass fetch quest trading fiascos you have to do to get the two-handed sword and the mask trading stuff done

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Heirren

The main npcs also said so much without verbally speaking. This is one reason I'd prefer Nintnedo not to voice act Zelda. IMO, Nintendo does such a phenomenal job with character design and animation, the series doesn't need.

I think Wind waker and Majora's Mask were the best as far as developed characters go. Hell, with MM, the world and atmosphere was quite possibly the most well devlopedin all of gaming.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Heirren

I can see both sides honestly. Either way is good with me.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#20 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Great bosses,puzzles and also very good story. Not many games can be called flawless but this is one of them apart from Navi and that Owl.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 turtlethetaffer

Great bosses,puzzles and also very good story. Not many games can be called flawless but this is one of them apart from Navi and that Owl.

chocolate1325

You've got to remember that back in 1998 the play type of Ocarina was really new to people, so it would have been bad of Nintendo to not exlpain the many features.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
Only played it for the first time on the 3ds......& I'm stuck on the water temple. 30 hours in, but can't bare to go through the water temple again.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Only played it for the first time on the 3ds......& I'm stuck on the water temple. 30 hours in, but can't bare to go through the water temple again. Justinps2hero
It's easier if you go through that one in one sitting.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Love dat art style, it still looks great today. Love the music love the atmosphere don't like the gameplay that much, the puzzles are just so random hate the fact they want you to talk to people, dolan please. I just rush my games, I beat mass effect 2 in like 6-8 hours. the water temple is just dumb the puzzles aren't actually real puzzles navi sucks, she just leaves at the end. 2mean4me
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

It's definately still one of the better Zelda games. While it wasn't truly an open game, it did give you decent sized chunks to explore at a time. It had some fun side quests, but Majora's mask is king in that particular category.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GreekGameManiac

Only played it for the first time on the 3ds......& I'm stuck on the water temple. 30 hours in, but can't bare to go through the water temple again. Justinps2hero

Lol.....

30 hours?

Stuck in the water temple?

What on Nayru's name?

Whatever.

You're probably missing something.

Like a hidden room.(like the one under the central tower).

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Justinps2hero
No no no, 30 hours of Zelda gameplay, now stuck at the water temple, going round in circles.......but only for about 2/3 hours, but thats enough to do my head in.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I never liked the game, and not for the reasons most people do. I never found Navi annoying, I found my way easily though the Water Temple, Kaepora Gaebora never managed to trap me in an endless loop of repeating the same info for ages.The thing I didn't like was the story, characters and the fact it just seems to needlessly drag on forever.

Now I want to point out that I never had an N64 as a kid, my parents bought me the PS1 so that's what I played, and I only got to play N64 at a friends house, and games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros that we could play VS where on the agenda, not a game that I wouldn't even be able to finish, so my first interaction with OoT was on the GameCube when I got the special edition of Wind Waker (my favorite Zelda game), which also came with OoT as well as the Master Quest version. I played though Wind Waker first and loved every second of it (including finding the "Triumph Forks"), and immediately went onto OoT, and it was just a very underwhelming game compared to Wind Waker, getting the 3 stones at the start to open the Temple of Time was fine, but everything after that it felt like it was just forced in to give the game some actual content, I never felt that any of it was really necessary for me to actually defeat Ganondorf.

Now before you all start hating on me for this, I'm perfectly willing to accept that the reason I dislike this games is probably because I didn't play it when it launched (or at least before Wind Waker), if I had I very well might feel differently about it, but that's not the case, it's certainly not bad gameplay wise, and it can be fun at parts, it's just failed to deliver on the hype on all other fronts after playing Wind Waker, and it's probably my least favorite of the Zelda games.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Justinps2hero
When you put a point across as structured as that, I think you will find you will be immune of critisism. I think I understand why my quest ended at the water temple now.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="chocolate1325"]

turtlethetaffer

You've got to remember that back in 1998 the play type of Ocarina was really new to people, so it would have been bad of Nintendo to not exlpain the many features.

Lol that owl, much like Mr Resetti is just them trying to PO gamers! :P They both have a certain undeniable charm though :oops:

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#31 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I tried playing it one N64, Gamecube and 3DS. I just can't get into it.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts

GOTY 1998. That was a long time ago.