Nuggets of info gleaned from the new official Playstation Magazine

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Reading the new offical Playstation magazine (which boasts more previews and a nicer look, but whose reviews are as dodgy as it was back when it was named PSM) I came across some interesting facts.

- The PS3 was the first Playstation Kazanori Yamauchi (head of Polyphony Digital) had no input into the design of (maybe he was the guy that argued for mass market affordability out of the gate?).

- White Knight Story boasted chain based combat in which one decides what everybody is going to do and they order they are going to do it in before the battle starts (?!). Your enemies are often SoTC sized monsters.

- Wipeout HD is just one of the two Wipeout games in development, there is also a larger (disc based I assume)game in the works.

- MGS4 (Not MGO, which will ship on the same disk, but which is essentially standalone) will featured limited online play. Playstation magazine speculates that might translate into some type of campaign co-op.

- Soul Caliber 4 will allow fighters to be knocked through enviroments, DOA style and boasts a new meter which allows fighters to defeat opponents by means others than knockout or ringout.

- The Eyecreate (Sony's camera) allows players to pull off the type of realtime manipulation seen in Minority Report (when Cruise was playing with menus). As the Playstation magazine points out, an, rts where one could direct movements with one'shands could be pretty cool.

- The Eyecreate has 4 built in microphones specially positioned to minimize background noise so it could make headsets unneccessary. I don't own an Eyecreate myself (I am waiting for an Eyecreate game which appeals to me) but it sounds like games need to be specially programmed to use the Eyecreate so one can't dump the earpiece one uses for Resistance and Warhawk just yet.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Not sure what to make from the White Knight Story combat info but I do really enjoy Level 5's previous games and the monsters being similar in size to those in SotC sounds very awesome.

I love the sound of having destructible environments in Soul Calibur V. I'm interested in seeing what this new meter will do in the game. I'm really looking forward to both this and Tekken 6 but I really hope that they don't end up messing these games up with some of these changes they're doing to them.

azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts

I hope they include competitive online play in MGS4. Although I'm fine with Single player because that's all I care about in MGS.

WKS seems sweet and it's made by Level 5. I loved Rogue Galaxy.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CarnageHeart

I hope they include competitive online play in MGS4. Although I'm fine with Single player because that's all I care about in MGS.

azad_champ

Was the online play in MGS3 competitive? Back in those days I wasn't an online gamer.

Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts

- Soul Caliber 4 will allow fighters to be knocked through enviroments, DOA style and boasts a new meter which allows fighters to defeat opponents by means others than knockout or ringout.

- The Eyecreate (Sony's camera) allows players to pull off the type of realtime manipulation seen in Minority Report (when Cruise was playing with menus). As the Playstation magazine points out, an, rts where one could direct movements with one'shands could be pretty cool.

CarnageHeart

Awesome and interesting stuff...

GamingBoy2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 GamingBoy2009
Member since 2005 • 1651 Posts
Dont forget that they also announced some stuff for Gran Turismo 5. Daytona and Indy race tracks will be inGT5 and I believe they also said that 900 cars will be in the game. I could be wrong.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CarnageHeart

Dont forget that they also announced some stuff for Gran Turismo 5. Daytona and Indy race tracks will be inGT5 and I believe they also said that 900 cars will be in the game. I could be wrong.GamingBoy2009

You are correct about the Daytona and Indy race tracks but the 900 cars is unconfirmed at this point in time (though its a rumor printed in the issue under discussion).

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Reading the new offical Playstation magazine (which boasts more previews and a nicer look, but whose reviews are as dodgy as it was back when it was named PSM) I came across some interesting facts.

- The PS3 was the first Playstation Kazanori Yamauchi (head of Polyphony Digital) had no input into the design of (maybe he was the guy that argued for mass market affordability out of the gate?).

- White Knight Story boasted chain based combat in which one decides what everybody is going to do and they order they are going to do it in before the battle starts (?!). Your enemies are often SoTC sized monsters.

- Wipeout HD is just one of the two Wipeout games in development, there is also a larger (disc based I assume)game in the works.

- MGS4 (Not MGO, which will ship on the same disk, but which is essentially standalone) will featured limited online play. Playstation magazine speculates that might translate into some type of campaign co-op.

- The Eyecreate has 4 built in microphones specially positioned to minimize background noise so it could make headsets unneccessary. I don't own an Eyecreate myself (I am waiting for an Eyecreate game which appeals to me) but it sounds like games need to be specially programmed to use the Eyecreate so one can't dump the earpiece one uses for Resistance and Warhawk just yet.

CarnageHeart

I like the sound of White Knight Story's combat, destructable environments are a plus but I do not like the sound of a meter being introduced, and I'm rather meh on Eye-focused gaming in general.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts
[QUOTE="azad_champ"]

CarnageHeart

Was the online play in MGS3 competitive? Back in those days I wasn't an online gamer.

Yes it was. I loved it too it was really alot of fun so this is something I'm really looking forward to. I put quite a fair amount of time into it and if the servers were still running I'd probably pop it in once inawhile and still play it.