NPD September: GTAV helps PS3 win the month.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Worst topic post ever, I am on a phone so I can't do much. Here is the neogaf thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699109

PS3 finally ended the 360 console sales reign at #1. Best selling system overall was 3DS.

Keighley says the GTA bundles were a big reason for the Sony spike. GTA is still associated with PS it seems.

#2 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Here's the chart stolen the GAF. GTA made up over half of game sales this month. Looks like there are still a lot of KH fans out there. Minecraft keeps on hanging in there. I wonder what sort of numbers The Puppeteer put up?

#3 Edited by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

It's a god damn travesty that Rayman didn't crack the top ten. I mean, I didn't expect it to, but still. Shameful.

#4 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

KH is insane. That is a port of a 10 year old game and it charts that high with basically no ad campaign. The brand is gigantic, part of the reason why square is in sub trouble is cause they have not had a console KH game in nearly a decade.

#5 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

Nice to see the console version of Diablo 3 doing well, I'm glad I picked it up because it was actually a lot better than the PC version. IF KH wasn't exclusive I would have nabbed that too, stupid exclusives.

#6 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

MS better get used to being #2 on the charts. :P

GTA and Sony leading the charts, just like the old days.

#7 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Nice to see the console version of Diablo 3 doing well, I'm glad I picked it up because it was actually a lot better than the PC version. IF KH wasn't exclusive I would have nabbed that too, stupid exclusives.

Is it? Cool. I'll check out the upcoming PS4 version.

#8 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

It's really weird that they chose to keep Kingdom Hearts HD exclusive to PS3. With the third game proper coming out on Xbox One, it would have been a really smart move to release the HD collection on 360 to catch everyone up.

#9 Posted by BadNewsBen (1493 posts) -

It's really fitting that Sony wins one of the last full months before NG starts. This generation has just been weird, in terms of console sales.

#10 Posted by anab0lic (271 posts) -

GTA V = Overrated game that was marketed extremely well.

#11 Edited by Archangel3371 (15388 posts) -

No surprise seeing GTAV at the top. Holding out for the next gen version is killing me. Nice to see Diablo III up there, excellent game. I'll be grabbing a next gen version of that game as well. Good to see Kingdom Hearts and Minecraft on the list too. Only one more NPD monthly statement until the next gen systems show up in them.

#13 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Some numbers.

Wonderful 101 8K

Rayman Legends Wii U 27K

No fucking way thats true.

#14 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

OMG. you can say fuck on Gamespot now. holy fuck!

The GTAV bundle proves one thing. There is an entire market still waiting to buy these last gen consoles. And while the PS3 may not be $199, it was technically $189 with this GTAV bundle. Shameus and I have been saying this for two years now... $199 is THE mass market price. This proves it.

It should be $150 or $99 by now but thats besides the point.

#15 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

Yeah, ugly numbers. Sorry for the late edit.

#16 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

Yeah, ugly numbers. Sorry for the late edit.

Dude, that was just Anihawk guessing the numbers. Those are not the real sales figures.

W101 is terrible, it did not even make the top 50.

#17 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

The GTAV bundle proves one thing. There is an entire market still waiting to buy these last gen consoles. And while the PS3 may not be $199, it was technically $189 with this GTAV bundle. Shameus and I have been saying this for two years now... $199 is THE mass market price. This proves it.

Those price drops should be coming soon, I hope. With new consoles launching and all, it would be stupid not to.

#18 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Worst topic post ever, I am on a phone so I can't do much. Here is the neogaf thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699109

PS3 finally ended the 360 console sales reign at #1. Best selling system overall was 3DS.

Keighley says the GTA bundles were a big reason for the Sony spike. GTA is still associated with PS it seems.

Saying the 360's reign as sales king ended is like saying Rosie O' Donnell's reign as a beauty queen came to an end. She could probably win a pageant if no one else showed up is what I'm sayin'. Kind of like how the 360 reigned as king with horrible sales numbers for three years.

#19 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

MS better get used to being #2 on the charts. :P

GTA and Sony leading the charts, just like the old days.

There are 500 reasons why this will happen. :P

#20 Posted by PSP107 (11878 posts) -

lol at people who dissed sports games.

#21 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

Those price drops should be coming soon, I hope. With new consoles launching and all, it would be stupid not to.

Yeah, both of these systems should be $129 MAX now... there's no reason for it, honestly. The GTA bundle was a hell of an idea with Sony, though, because it packaged a non-gimped system (actually one with a hard drive the size of the next generation consoles) and the biggest game of the year together at a price that was very attractive. A LOT of people have been holding out on buying one of these systems, and all they needed was that justification of $199 and a big game release (remember when systems used to have killer apps bundled in?) and not some stupid bullshit like Kinect packed in and here they are...

Here's the riddle that Sony needs to solve:

Their competitor has already shown its Achilles Heel before the first sale is rung up by its insistence on selling its old hardware at high prices. This generation, it will take even longer for it to drop because the price went up, and that could, theoretically, see the Xbone not hitting the $199 point for 7-8 years. Sony has to figure out not how to sell systems at $400 (that is already taken care of) but how to ensure they are selling systems at $200 in three years, and $129 in four years. Microsoft has proven they will not drop the price of the 360 without a gun being held to their head... Sony needs to capitalize on this.

#22 Posted by BadNewsBen (1493 posts) -

@PSP107: And the hilarious part of it is, there are less and less options for sports gaming by the minute. EA more or less has created a monopoly on sports gaming, and it's what put an end to college sports games. Sports titles sell so well, that I wouldn't be surprised if 2K or some other big name publisher (R*, maybe?) put their name forward for a sports game.

#23 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Ignore the bad carnage numbers, here is everything we got:

Compilation of posts:

• Killzone: Mercenaries - 41K
  • Rune Factory 4 -17K
  • Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl < 10K
  • PSV > 40K; Walking Dead bundle 24.4K+
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - 123K including bundle
  • Rayman Legends < 70K; Wii U SKU 38.85K or less.
  • The Wonderful 101 < 20K > 360 or PS3 SKU of Rayman Legends
  • Diablo III - 550K; 360 SKU - 335.5K
  • GTA V > 7M including bundle; 360 SKU 4.06M+
  • Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD between 270-275K.

#24 Edited by Randolph (10478 posts) -

@c_rakestraw said:
@GodModeEnabled said:

It's really weird that they chose to keep Kingdom Hearts HD exclusive to PS3. With the third game proper coming out on Xbox One, it would have been a really smart move to release the HD collection on 360 to catch everyone up.

I'd much rather see a bundle of both the first KH games on Xbone, since not everyone who has an Xbone will have a 360, this would be the best way to give them a refresher course, imo. That GTAV bundle for PS3 is insane. $269 for a 500GB PS3 and GTAV makes $249 ($299 outside of the States) for a 360 with 250GB storage and two games look like a rip off in comparison. I really don't think the downloadable Tomb Raider makes up for the missing 250GB's, and frankly GTAV seems to simply be a better game than both it and Halo 4.

#25 Edited by Jacanuk (4235 posts) -

It's a god damn travesty that Rayman didn't crack the top ten. I mean, I didn't expect it to, but still. Shameful.

Rayman legends is a great game but i think it has lost its appeal to many years ago.

#26 Edited by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

Agree about Diablo III

#27 Posted by Archangel3371 (15388 posts) -

I think the 360 and PS3 both with 250GB or bigger should be $150 now. I don't think anything lower then that is realistic though. There's more hardware in today's consoles such as HDD's and modems so a 1:1 comparison to other systems such as the PS2 isn't entirely fair or accurate.

#28 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -
@Randolph said:
@c_rakestraw said:
@GodModeEnabled said:

I'd much rather see a bundle of both the first KH games on Xbone, since not everyone who has an Xbone will have a 360, this would be the best way to give them a refresher course, imo. That GTAV bundle for PS3 is insane. $269 for a 500GB PS3 and GTAV makes $249 ($299 outside of the States) for a 360 with 250GB storage and two games look like a rip off in comparison. I really don't think the downloadable Tomb Raider makes up for the missing 250GB's, and frankly GTAV seems to simply be a better game than both it and Halo 4.

That would work, too. Would be stupid not to do one or the other. Might as well not bother bringing the third game out on Xbox One, otherwise.

#29 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@Shame-usBlackley said:

@c_rakestraw said:
@S0lidSnake said:

Yeah, both of these systems should be $129 MAX now... there's no reason for it, honestly. The GTA bundle was a hell of an idea with Sony, though, because it packaged a non-gimped system (actually one with a hard drive the size of the next generation consoles) and the biggest game of the year together at a price that was very attractive. A LOT of people have been holding out on buying one of these systems, and all they needed was that justification of $199 and a big game release (remember when systems used to have killer apps bundled in?) and not some stupid bullshit like Kinect packed in and here they are...

Here's the riddle that Sony needs to solve:

Their competitor has already shown its Achilles Heel before the first sale is rung up by its insistence on selling its old hardware at high prices. This generation, it will take even longer for it to drop because the price went up, and that could, theoretically, see the Xbone not hitting the $199 point for 7-8 years. Sony has to figure out not how to sell systems at $400 (that is already taken care of) but how to ensure they are selling systems at $200 in three years, and $129 in four years. Microsoft has proven they will not drop the price of the 360 without a gun being held to their head... Sony needs to capitalize on this.

Yeah, if Sony slashes prices as enthusiastically as they did in the PS1 and PS2 era, they can have another 100,000,000+ selling console on their hands but if rather than slash prices they increase hard drive size (as they and MS did this gen)...