NPD October 2012

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Retail down 20% YoY

Software

1.) NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, Pc)
2.) Resident Evil 6 (360, PS3) above 800k
3.) Pokemon Black Version 2 (NDS) combined with White 2 less than900k
4.) Dishonored (360, PS3, PC) - 460.2K
5.) Pokemon White Version 2 (NDS) combined with Black 2 less than900k
6.) Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV)
7.) FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, 3DS, PSP)
8.) Medal of Honor: Warfighter (360, PS3, PC)
9.) Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC)
10.) Skylander Giants (Wii, 360, PS3, 3DS)

• XCOM: Enemy Unknown - 114K
  • Code of Princess < 20k
  • Layton < 1k
  • SF x Tekken ~ 5k

Harware

• Xbox 360 270k, 56% market share
  • PS3 between 150-200k
  • Wii between 35-50k
  • 3DS between 213k and 250k
  • Vita 35k
  • DS between 100k-150k
  • PSP less than 10k

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#2 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Strange that XCOM didn't make the chart. Know I heard 2K say it was a success for them somewhere. I guess most its sales came through Steam?

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Strange that XCOM didn't make the chart. Know I heard 2K say it was a success for them somewhere. I guess most its sales came through Steam?

c_rake

That, or it was pretty cheap to make. Probably both.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

So I guess we can finally lay rest to the logical fallacy that the downturn in sales was software related?

Resident Evil, while maligned, sold well. Dishonored is extremely well made. Assassin's Creed 3 was super hyped. Borderlands 2 is superb. By most accounts, XCOM is a great game. Plus, Halo 4 launching just a few days before the end of this reporting period should've parlayed into some decent numbers. Hell, we even had Forza Paradise or whatever the fvck racer knockoff it was posing as. All that should have injected some life into the system, but Microsoft is down 30% year over year. Again.

Zombie market ftmfl.

I wonder if the toad who began the "10 year cycle" lie has already hanged himself, or do you think he might wait a few months to confirm what everyone already knows? Systems needed to be released this month, and they're still at least a year off. Very bad things are coming.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

In b4 Shameus.

FAKE EDIT: F*ck!

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shame-usBlackley

In b4 Shameus.

FAKE EDIT: F*ck!

S0lidSnake

PWNT

REAL EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf1KFzYbNeE&feature=related

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
:lol: Sales are so sh*t and uneventful there's no use in commenting anymore anyway. Good on Dishonored I guess, but then again a huge turd such as RE6 sold almost a million so what do I know.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Good on Borderlands 2 and Dishonored doing so well, both of them incredible games. So software sales are down 30% compared to last year, or is it just the hardware sales? Hardware sales are kinda irrelevant this late into the generation, software sales being down that much however would be very disheartening.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

New consoles plz. :(

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Teuf_

Good on Borderlands 2 and Dishonored doing so well, both of them incredible games. So software sales are down 30% compared to last year, or is it just the hardware sales? Hardware sales are kinda irrelevant this late into the generation, software sales being down that much however would be very disheartening.GodModeEnabled

Software is down 25%, hardware is down 37%. Disheartening, indeed.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

How large of a budget did Dishonored have? I have no idea right now whether its 460k sales should be called a success or a disappointment.

In either case, as Shame-us said, the current consoles are on life support. We really need the next ones soon. Fall 2013, don't disappoint Microsoft.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Good on Borderlands 2 and Dishonored doing so well, both of them incredible games. So software sales are down 30% compared to last year, or is it just the hardware sales? Hardware sales are kinda irrelevant this late into the generation, software sales being down that much however would be very disheartening.Teufelhuhn

I wonder then if there is historical precedence to show that at end of generation sales are typically down, or if it is just this generation going on to long being the cause. Time for some google.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teuf_

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Good on Borderlands 2 and Dishonored doing so well, both of them incredible games. So software sales are down 30% compared to last year, or is it just the hardware sales? Hardware sales are kinda irrelevant this late into the generation, software sales being down that much however would be very disheartening.GodModeEnabled

I wonder then if there is historical precedence to show that at end of generation sales are typically down, or if it is just this generation going on to long being the cause. Time for some google.

I don't have any real numbers to back it up, but I definitely don't remember there being any slumps like this 7-8 years ago. Instead we had Resident Evil 4, GTA San Andreas, and slim PS2's that woudldn't stop selling.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

The real question is this: what if new consoles don't get the industry out of this slump? I've been hearing people say (and I've been saying it myself for a while now), that new consoles will bring sales back up to what they once were. But what if they don't? What happens then?

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shame-usBlackley

The real question is this: what if new consoles don't get the industry out of this slump? I've been hearing people say (and I've been saying it myself for a while now), that new consoles will bring sales back up to what they once were. But what if they don't? What happens then?

Vari3ty

Working in sales, one of the key lessons is this:

When shlt goes bad, you go back to the basics.

I think that's what the console manufacturers need to do -- stop being all artistic and stupid and be realists. They have to understand that they are working in a very, very constrained economy and video games, as much as they'd like to believe otherwise, are a want, not a need.

The were parameters set up to follow from previous generations that worked solidly, if not spectacularly. The NES and SNES sold a ton of systems, and the PS2 was a fvcking monster. So here's the question: when the norm is already so goddamned good, why would you go trying something different? Follow that existing model and follow it well -- back to the basics. Attractive launch prices, attractive software prices, stop making it more of a value to wait instead of buying on Day One as they have been with all this DLC and Season Pass horseshlt. Stop trying to sell eight year old hardware for $300, and stop making people question the value of the hobby by hitting them once and then again and again -- that's a busted model; encouraging people to wait to buy your game after you've already had to coerce them to buy your overpriced system. Speaking of which, they should follow the established model for price drops. This hardware should be $100 now.

The basics: make affordable systems with lots of games, and they WILL sell. And if they don't, at least then the market crashed on its own, instead of being helped along by the idiots currently in charge. Video games have been around over thirty years now -- they are part of our social fabric, not just in America, but around the world. There are people who are retirement age now who grew up with these things. People want to play games, the companies just need to stop giving them reasons not to.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts
Pretty decent sales for Resident Evil 6. I thought it was an excellent game so hopefully it'll continue to sell well. As for hardware sales while there is room for further pricecuts I don't think it's as simple as comparing prices from previous gen hardware to now. Consoles now have more things in them that previous systems didn't have to contend with in pricecutting ie. HDD's. Manufacturering an HDD can only get so cheap where one can offer more space as being the only price offsetting difference.