NPD December!! GT6 epic bomb. Vita is dead.

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

NPD: Xbox One and Xbox 360 were the top selling consoles for each generation in the US in December. 908k (Xbox One) and 643k (Xbox 360)

Many said that the PS4 was supply constrained due to it launching worldwide in that same period so this is not unexpected. Full numbers at 6:30

Meanwhile, in a statement responding to Decembers NPD figures Sony instead focused on its 'cumulative lead' in the new console sales race, blaming a stock shortfall for hindering sales in the month.

"According to the latest NPD report,

PlayStation 4 remains the cumulative leader for next gen console sales in the US since the launch on November 15

," said Sony's senior director of corporate communications, Dan Race.

"We sold every PS4 available at retail in the US and were out of stock in December due to overwhelming consumer demand. With more than 4.2 million PS4 systems sold worldwide, it's clear that the PS4's gaming and entertainment features are resonating with large audiences and we're doing our best to provide additional inventory in all of the 53 countries where it's available," added Race.

#2 Edited by Archangel3371 (15091 posts) -

Wooooooooooooo!!! Wait a minute. I want stats, stat! :P

#3 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

This forum is going crazy.

More info, Xbox domination

Total combined retail spend on the Xbox platform (Xbox One and Xbox 360) in December reached $1.39 billion, 50 percent of the combined software, hardware and accessories spend in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: “Battlefield 4,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Madden NFL 25” and “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

Fans continue to show their excitement for new generation Xbox One games, with U.S. consumers purchasing an average of 2.9 games* per console since launch.

#4 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

As for the industry as a whole, the NPD reported that full-year sales in 2013 were down 2 percent to $12.97 billion. Breaking that number down, new platforms like the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and 2DS helped push hardware sales up 5 percent to $4.26 billion, while software sales slipped 9 percent to $6.12 billion. Accessories (which include Skylanders and Disney Infinity toys, as well as cards loaded with currency for online storefronts), were up 3 percent to $2.6 billion.

Looking at the numbers from just December, overall industry sales were up 2 percent to $3.28 billion. Most of that growth was attributable to hardware, which was up a whopping 28 percent to $1.37 billion. Accessories were also up 4 percent to $631 million, but most of those gains were offset by software sales that dropped 17 percent to $1.28 billion

Call of Duty's reign of terror as #1 is over!!!!! Thank you GTAV for making an excellent game #1 again. Though that top 10 list is kind of sad. Minecraft at the 9 spot is crazy!!! That is physical only! That is more copies sold than any Nintendo game this year.

#5 Posted by Archangel3371 (15091 posts) -

Nice. I got Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, and Call of Duty: Ghosts which have been excellent games. I'm still intending on getting Ryse and Battlefield 4 is a possibility as well. Great to see strong sales for both Xbox One, the games and simply all next gen stuff in general.

#6 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Sucks that the industry is still down 2% from last years horrible year. Hopefully this is the year where everything turns around. If not then we can start to worry.

#7 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Was there really any doubt the Xbox One would sell well in the US?

#8 Posted by Jacanuk (3467 posts) -

Well, PS4 still outsold X1 with 1.2mill

But its not a surprise that Xbox did well in its core market, it would kinda be embarrassing if it didn't and this also confirms that Microsoft doesn't give a shit about the rest of the world, its all about north-america.

#9 Posted by Archangel3371 (15091 posts) -

Wow. Look at lil 'ol Minecraft for the 360 all tucked away in there at number 9. Pretty impressive. It's even a bit impressive that GTA V managed to top the CoD juggernaut when it was only on two platforms although I'm sure it was extremely close.

#10 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Think about this no GT6, no Mario on this last months list. Yikes

First Nintendo info

However, while both new machines are having great, competitive launches, neither of them were able to beat

Nintendo 3DS, the best selling system of 2013--not just December.

And Wii U is over 472k?

"Hardware sales of the

Wii U were also positive with December 2013 marking its highest month for unit sales month so far

," NPD analyst Liam Callahan noted. Guess having great games does sell hardware, huh?

#11 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Gaf detectives are crunching the numbers and basically it is impossible that the Xbox One sold 3 million worldwide, shipped maybe but not sold. They lied. It only sold 1.8 million in the US, 364k in UK and pathetic numbers in a few other countries it launched in.

EDIT: Someone from MS had said they were about 100k below the number, ok then.

#12 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20369 posts) -

i bet voice recognition tweaking was part of the decision to release XB1 so exclusively, but i suspect this had something to do with it too. if microsoft loses ground in the US, they're in a lot of trouble because we've been their bread and butter for consoles.

#13 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

The Xbox brand continues to do well in the U.S market. Considering the backlash after E3 and a lot of the negativity towards the Xbox One prior to launch, the console has performed well. Cannot say that I am surprised that "GAF" researchers are looking into the numbers. LOL....GAF is a mess. It is place where uber nerds and fanboys hangout.

#14 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

However they did it, congrats to MS for the win.

Its a shame Battlefield 4 sold better then AC4 and lots of other games? Critics aren't the only ones who somehow missed or didn't care about the fact that it is bug infested crap.

Its great that Minecraft and Disney Infinity are in the year's top ten bestsellers. Play/create/share is a beautiful thing.

#15 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Some good #NPD SW facts: #XboxOne YTD 2013: 4.8M retail games vs. 4.2M for PS4. COD & BF4 both sold better on #XboxOne.

Seems the Xbox will remain the shooters console of choice.

#16 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

New numbers

@Steverulez DR3 526K, FM5 457K, RYSE 431K.

Decent.

@aarongreenberg: Last #NPD fact: 1st/2nd party (exclusives) SW sales for #XboxOne 1.5M units vs. 599K for PS4. Led by Dead Rising, Forza 5 and Ryse.

Xbox has way better first party at this point. Shows that third party does better on PS4 outside COD and BF4 when you combine with the earlier numbers of full retail sales. It also means KZ and Knack sold about 229k between them.

Nintendo LTD numbers

LTD sales number (includes both physical and digital) for some 3DS titles.

Pokémon X / Y - 3,170,000 (820,000 in December)

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 1,210,000

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 1,100,000

HERE COME THE NUMBERS!

LTD: WiiU>PS4>XB1

GT6<180k

PSV<95k

OMG GT6 is DEAD. Vita is DEAD. Wii U hangs on barely

#17 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

I have been saying this for a long time now...That this generation would be very similar to the last console generation. The Xbox would outsell the PS4 in the U.S., while the PS4 would fair better in Europe & Japan. While it is very early into the life cycle it appears perhaps that history could be repeating itself.

According to some here in this very forum, gamers/consumers did not want all the tertiary B.S. with a forced Kinect that would spy on you. Seems like they were off in their assessment of the market place. Considering the backlash MS received early on, they have managed to do very well.

Big picture, it so great to see that both consoles are doing very well. I am personally looking forward to March with the release of Titan Fall and Infamous.

#18 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

And this is why you do not release a giant game at the very end of a systems life. User base blahblahblah, where is that userbase now? PS4 version would have sold way more than 180k copies.

Well for sure a PS version is coming, this all but confirms it.

Vita... its over in NA. That is 4x worse than what the Saturn did in its second year. Almost all systems do better in their second year, this one fell drastically.

#19 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Software compilation:

Wii

Just Dance 2014 >800K

Wii U

Lego City Undercover - 242K

Pikmin 3 - 210K

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 93K

Rayman Legends - 88K

Sonic: Lost World - 82K

The Wonderful 101 - 49K

Game & Wario - 36K

Resident Evil: Revelations - 16K

3DS

Pokemon X - 1.63M

Pokemon Y - 1.54M

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon >1M

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 910K

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - 472K

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS - 386K

Fire Emblem: Awakening - 370K

LEGO City 3DS - 365K

Mario Party: Island Tour - 252k

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 224K

Sonic Lost Worlds 3DS - 97k

Shin Megami Tensei IV - 96K

Project X Zone - 87K

Rune Factory 4 - 47k

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 36K

Etrian Odyssey 4 - 36K

Brain Age - 26K

PS3

The Last of Us - 1473K

Call of Duty: Ghosts <800K

God of War: Ascension - 783K

Kingdom Hearts 1.5HD - 438K

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 329K

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - 208K

Beyond: Two Souls - 202K

Gran Turismo 6 <180K

Tales of Xillia - 156K

Resident Evil: Revelations - 53K

Rayman Legends - 30K

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F - 16K

PS4

Call of Duty: Ghosts >800K

Battlefield 4 - between 550K and 600K

Assassin's Creed 4 - between 500K and 550K

NBA 2K14 - between 400K and 450K

Killzone Shadowfall - between 400K and 450K

Madden NFL 25 - between 350K and 400K

Need for Speed - between 250K and 300K

FIFA 14 - between 200K and 250K

Knack - between 150K and 200K

Lego Marvel Superheroes - between

PSV

Killzone: Mercenaries - 102K

Soul Sacrifice - 72K

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - 67k

Tearaway -50K

Rayman Legends - 20k

Xbox 360

Minecraft - 1862K

Gears of War: Judgement - 764K

Resident Evil: Revelations - 55K

Rayman Legends - 42K

Xbox One

Call of Duty: Ghosts - between 800K and 900K

Battlefield 4 - between 550K and 650K

Dead Rising 3 - 526K

Forze Motorsport 5 - 457K

Ryse - 431K

Madden NFL 25 - between 350K and 400K

Assassin's Creed 4 - between 350K and 400K

NBA 2K14 - between 200K and 350K

FIFA 14 - between 150K and 200K

Need for Speed - between 100K and 150K

Lego Marvel Superheroes - between 100K and 150K

Just Dance 2014 - between 100K and 150K

#20 Edited by Bigboi500 (28789 posts) -

It's looking less and less likely that Sony will ever let Vita TV out of Japan.

#21 Posted by Archangel3371 (15091 posts) -

Poor Vita. I'd still like to get one though.

#22 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Updated the software post so its much easier to read, thanks to gaf.

One ~ 908k

PS4 ~ 865k

360 ~ 643k

Wii U ~ 481k

PS3 ~ 299k

Wii ~ 160k

One year head start! LOL. Wii U is trending under the GC and is about even with the Saturn.

#23 Edited by c_rakestraw (14534 posts) -
@dvader654 said:

Sucks that the industry is still down 2% from last years horrible year. Hopefully this is the year where everything turns around. If not then we can start to worry.

These percentages are meaningless until they start tracking digital sales as well, as just because things are down on retail doesn't necessarily mean the entire industry's down. Digital sales could be making up the difference for all we know.

#24 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

We got a ton of numbers today so what does it all mean. PS4 and One are on fire, great to see. Wii U is almost dead but it will be a zombie for a few years. PS3 and Vita are dead, 360 is extremely alive. Crazy how MS has not supported 360 all year, Sony continues to love the PS3 and the sales have been the complete opposite of what they should be. I think this shows that 7 years into a generation what games you have on your system at that time means nothing, everyone already made up their mind.

Xbox One sold better with the shooters and Madden but PS4 sold better with everything else, seems about right. Ryse outsold so many great games from this year, wtf. It sold better than MGS Rising, it sold faster than DmC, wtf. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 is a monster, Square this is your big franchise, work on it. TLOU did ok, should be better.

Wii U software is so bad, Lego city outsold Pikmin 3, weird. Sonic is crap it didnt deserve those 80k units. W101 at 48l :( Expected but so sad, it is amazing, come on people.

#25 Posted by Bigboi500 (28789 posts) -

It would seem that bro gamers are going to continue to be the deciding factors once again this generation. Their games all but push out almost everything, with the exception of quirky indie games.

It looks like Japanese games are almost a thing of the past, and the US has no interest in Vita and Wii U titles. The US market is sadly starting to resemble the UK market more and more each day.

I mean seriously, who's happy that the UK and US markets are going to continually look something like this for another entire generation:

Fifa something

Call of Duty 500

Assassin's Creed in space

Madden XYZ

Random 4 hour cinematic blockbuster

Battlefield 57

Titanfall 8

GTA IX

Saint's Row 24

Indie trendy game

NBA Lebron's Back to Cleveland Edition Alpha

Freakin' kill me now.

#26 Posted by c_rakestraw (14534 posts) -

@Bigboi500: It's too early to say whether the game market for these new consoles is going to be an exact retread of this past generation. Once E3 comes around we'll have a better idea of what to expect. Until then, though, I'd like to hope there's still a chance at things changing for the better.

#27 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

And this is why you do not release a giant game at the very end of a systems life. User base blahblahblah, where is that userbase now? PS4 version would have sold way more than 180k copies.

Well for sure a PS version is coming, this all but confirms it.

Vita... its over in NA. That is 4x worse than what the Saturn did in its second year. Almost all systems do better in their second year, this one fell drastically.

According to the numbers you posted, Gran Turismo 6 (the sequel to a massively selling game a lot of people walked away from unhappy) has sold fewer copies in the US than Beyond Two Souls (an original game but a kind of spiritual successor to Heavy Rain, which is generally well regarded but whose sales were 30% of GT5's).

The takeaway should be not that supporting an old system is bad, but that game makers and publishers should bring their A game every time rather than hope fans are willing to take abuse (that works for Bethesda, but clearly not for Polyphony Digital).

Vita never really began in North America. Sony's decision not to get into a price war with Nintendo pretty much doomed the Vita everywhere outsold of Japan (and Nintendo buying Monster Hunter exclusivity badly hurt the Vita in Japan).

#28 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@Areez said:

I have been saying this for a long time now...That this generation would be very similar to the last console generation. The Xbox would outsell the PS4 in the U.S., while the PS4 would fair better in Europe & Japan. While it is very early into the life cycle it appears perhaps that history could be repeating itself.

According to some here in this very forum, gamers/consumers did not want all the tertiary B.S. with a forced Kinect that would spy on you. Seems like they were off in their assessment of the market place. Considering the backlash MS received early on, they have managed to do very well.

Big picture, it so great to see that both consoles are doing very well. I am personally looking forward to March with the release of Titan Fall and Infamous.

Clearly some consumers are willing to be continuously scanned in their living rooms by MS and have the data sold to marketers :).

'We see that you have four small kids, here is a new line of toys you might be interested in'.

#29 Edited by Bigboi500 (28789 posts) -

@Bigboi500: It's too early to say whether the game market for these new consoles is going to be an exact retread of this past generation. Once E3 comes around we'll have a better idea of what to expect. Until then, though, I'd like to hope there's still a chance at things changing for the better.

It probably wont be the same, I was just thinking that would be the worst case scenario. The key to achieving a different scenario from last gen might just be Sony and Microsoft not trying to emulate each other so thoroughly, unlike last generation. I'm seriously hoping and praying that they both try to be different from the competition and allow each company to cater to a specific group.

Sony is not going to win over the online FPS group, that's been proven again and again in the sales data. If we're lucky this time around, Sony will not focus on in-house shooters like they did for PS3. Simply allow other devs to their best with third party multies in that regard. They should stick to high quality exclusives and continue to bring over unique Japanese niche retail offerings, and give devs the support they need to bring about the best quality multiplat experiences available on consoles.

Continued parity between those two companies will lead to a lack of interest for the game industry in my opinion. Developers became very complacent and lazy last gen because they had a clear indication of what the console market would support the most in the US and UK: shooters and sports games, the rare but trendy indie and an occasional blockbuster multiplat.

I'd love to see a return to the console exclusives becoming more popular again and a real reason for owning each console platform like in the old days. I don't think this time as many gamers will be willing to own both Sony and Microsoft systems, mainly because of the online pay walls in place.

#30 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@c_rakestraw said:

It probably wont be the same, I was just thinking that would be the worst case scenario. The key to achieving a different scenario from last gen might just be Sony and Microsoft not trying to emulate each other so thoroughly, unlike last generation. I'm seriously hoping and praying that they both try to be different from the competition and allow each company to cater to a specific group.

Sony is not going to win over the online FPS group, that's been proven again and again in the sales data. If we're lucky this time around, Sony will not focus on in-house shooters like they did for PS3. Simply allow other devs to their best with third party multies in that regard. They should stick to high quality exclusives and continue to bring over unique Japanese niche retail offerings, and give devs the support they need to bring about the best quality multiplat experiences available on consoles.

Continued parity between those two companies will lead to a lack of interest for the game industry in my opinion. Developers became very complacent and lazy last gen because they had a clear indication of what the console market would support the most in the US and UK: shooters and sports games, the rare but trendy indie and an occasional blockbuster multiplat.

I'd love to see a return to the console exclusives becoming more popular again and a real reason for owning each console platform like in the old days. I don't think this time as many gamers will be willing to own both Sony and Microsoft systems, mainly because of the online pay walls in place.

Do you remember the 16 bit era? Sega and Nintendo were both seeking to eat the other guy's lunch (in the prior generation Nintendo had made sure Sega didn't get lunch by forcing third parties to choose between the NES and the SMS). Only in the middle of the GC era did Nintendo (on the console side) become a company which didn't seek to compete with anyone, but just milked Mario and sought . On the handheld side they are and remain fierce competitors (buying Monster Hunter exclusivity was a clever move which really hurt the Vita and helped the 3DS in Japan). Also relevant is the fact that in the 16 bit era buttbouncers were at least as dominant as shooters are nowadays.

Whether or not Sony wins over the majority of the shooter market isn't a big deal. What's important is that they showed up and created/demonstrated the existence of a market for shooters on the Playstations. A 9/8 split in the Xbone's favor is a pretty narrow loss and shows that a lot of shooter fans are now on the PS4. Third parties don't care whether consoles live or die, so they tend to go only where the existence of fans has been proven.

#31 Posted by firefox59 (4307 posts) -

@Areez said:

Clearly some consumers are willing to be continuously scanned in their living rooms by MS and have the data sold to marketers :).

'We see that you have four small kids, here is a new line of toys you might be interested in'.

Games > everything else

#32 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Lol hahaha. I knew sony would fuck this up. I hope they are happy about being number one in Uganda and saudi Arabia

#33 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Lol hahaha. I knew sony would fuck this up. I hope they are happy about being number one in Uganda and saudi Arabia

YES! I have been waiting for you. I know you are on vacation but the game world just blew up. Check out the Nintendo thread.

#34 Posted by EdgecrusherAza (7038 posts) -

It amazes me that anyone would pick up the Xbox One over the PS4, with both consoles going to end up having 99% of the same software & Sony selling a slightly superior console for $100 less. On top of all the shady nonsense that MS tried to pull, and WILL pull as soon as they possibly can.

I can't fault Archie because he got One for free. lol

#35 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

It amazes me that anyone would pick up the Xbox One over the PS4, with both consoles going to end up having 99% of the same software & Sony selling a slightly superior console for $100 less. On top of all the shady nonsense that MS tried to pull, and WILL pull as soon as they possibly can.

Edge! I feel like I just found you in the ocean on a liferaft after our website went down. :(

#36 Posted by EdgecrusherAza (7038 posts) -

@dvader654: Yes and I'm beginning to blister. I need sunscreen and a nice iced tea.

#37 Posted by Randolph (10324 posts) -

Your avatar is going to get you perm banned. Just saying.

#38 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@EdgecrusherAza said:

I doubt he cares.

#39 Posted by EdgecrusherAza (7038 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@EdgecrusherAza said:

I doubt he cares.

I don't but I changed it anyway. Hey I sent you a PM...or I tried to.

#40 Posted by Randolph (10324 posts) -

Better ways to go about leaving than that. Much better. Like, just logging out.

#41 Edited by Archangel3371 (15091 posts) -

@EdgecrusherAza said:

I don't think it's all that surprising myself especially in the NA market. The Xbox One launched with some very good games such Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, and Ryse which by all accounts is at least decent. Then you have Titanfall just around the corner. Also there's the tertiary features of the Xbox One.

#42 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

@Randolph said:

@EdgecrusherAza said:

I doubt he cares.

I don't but I changed it anyway. Hey I sent you a PM...or I tried to.

I never check that, sent you one back. I still see the avatar.

#43 Edited by EdgecrusherAza (7038 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Not sure why it matters, but I changed it.

#44 Edited by Randolph (10324 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Given the age of the characters in the gif, it seems a fairly big deal to me.

#45 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Oh come on lol. You know why that is not allowed.

#46 Posted by EdgecrusherAza (7038 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@EdgecrusherAza said:

@Randolph said:

Given the age of the characters in the gif, it seems a fairly big deal to me.

How old are they?

#47 Edited by Randolph (10324 posts) -

How old are they?

Too young for you to posses that kind of image.

#48 Posted by EdgecrusherAza (7038 posts) -

@Randolph: You know its a joke right? With cartoon characters? I think my girlfriend sent me that gif like 2 years ago.
This is why I don't post much here, the place is too uptight. At any rate, its gone.

The numbers for Gran Turismo 6 don't surprise me at all. That's the kind of game you want showing off a new console, not coming out on an old machine at the same time its being replaced. GT5 should have been a PS3 launch game with GT6 maybe in the middle of its lifespan, instead of GT5 in the middle and GT6 at the end.

#49 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

As the PS3 showed, winning America is great, but winning the rest of the world is better (more HW and game sales and more support for a broad variety of games).

It makes more sense to establish the PS4's dominance everywhere else by shipping to them months before MS than it does to short the world and edge ahead of MS in the US in December (which wouldn't decide the battle in the US).

#50 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22301 posts) -

Pretty impressive that the 3ds managed to top the charts in the face of the next gen hype.

Say what you want about the market shrinking but that little system is a trooper