Nope, GTA V is still unlikable...

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

I was hoping they would flesh out the game a bit more with the remakes, but they've done nothing to it but graphics. The FoV is so narrow that I don't want to play in first person, they have a slider there but it does nothing. When playing the game it doesn't feel like an improvement as this is what the game looked like on the PS3 in my head. It just doesn't look that much better to the point where I think it is amazing, there are so many jaggies that I think it looks really dated a lot of the time.

The world is empty, you cannot go in any buildings unlike Ass Creed Unity where like half of them are enterable and it makes the world feel far more realistic and fleshed out. In GTA V they're all rectangles with textures placed on them, I was hoping for loads of shops to go in and hold up but there is only a few you can go in, even then you cannot get your gun out in most. I wanted every NPC to tell a story and have a pattern, but they're still all there for show. Watchdogs tried to do this (but failed) and other games like Sim City have tried (and failed) but GTA V never even attempted this.

I don't like the driving physics, it feels like a step down from IV, the cars are far too responsive it feels so arcadey. GTA IV tried some realism with the driving and it felt much more rewarding to drive them and like I was driving that vehicle. In V all the vehicles handle impossibly well and so well in fact that they feel too sensitive on the analogue sticks and the slightest input makes you turn loads.

They've also changed the damage model, vehicles don't get damaged dynamically any more. It is like canned damage, I cannot run into the same wall and see my vehicle slowly get chipped away at like in IV, only certain things will do loads of damage like driving into a train, even if it isn't moving. The damage model feels so fake and nowhere near as good a IV and vehicles will randomly explode before they often get to the point where you could make them into cubes like in IV.

What is up with how weak you are too? You want to run and gun and cause havoc, but you die so quickly. Why didn't they change this? Everyone I know complained about how quickly you can die, it just makes no sense in thiis open world game. The most fun I have is riding off cliffs in cars to see how many times I can roll or damage my vehicle, however this is the first GTA game where I cannot do that because I know I will die.... just sucks.

What is up with the crap story? I loved the opening but Franklin soon fades into obscurity and never has any story to himself again other than the Assassination missions. How he is tied up in all that feels so fake and unrealistic to his character, makes no sense what so ever. Then you have Michael, I love his family story but then they vanish quickly and you're just left with all the heist crap. I hate that stuff because it is so unrealistic, it would never happen in real life, every mission seems to be waves after waves of enemies you have to kill....... sucks. Trevor's story really makes sense at the start and I really love his story but then all the FIB crap enters in and ruins everything.

The story sucks, always the way with Rockstar, they make a great start and then they go over the top with action and suddenly the story turns to crap and you don't care about any of it any more. I'd rather have 24 characters with short stories about each one where they all interconnect with each other, you get a whole picture of what the city is about and all the different types of people. The story doesn't try to drag on with the same character where they run out of material and have to just go over the top and ruin it. A few movies have done that concept, even the Simpsons did it many years ago, it would be far more effective in a GTA type of game.

GTA V is just a game full of ideas that Rockstar have done over and over, it isn't doing anything new and isn't even their best work. Their story telling is the biggest let down, it is like everything is ripped from movies but not very well put together. As soon as the FIB enter the game... I lost interest in any of it as it was so unrealistic and dumb.

Edit: My biggest problem though has to be that you have no choice in missions,they're just dictated to you. Like when I had to deliver the guy to the airport after torturing him... why couldn't I just put a bullet in his head and get on with it? So many times I've wanted to do different things in a mission but it then fails the missions instead. I want Deus Ex like choice, that game feels more open ended than GTA...

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 593

#2  Edited By hxce
Member since 2006 • 2099 Posts

The whole point with remastering a game is just to improve the graphics and make the game playable on the next generation (since PS4 isn't backwards compatible for marketing reasons). The first person was just a bonus. We should be glad that they even put it there in the first place.

When GTA V first came out I did wish for more buildings to be open for you to enter. But this isn't something to complain about in the remastered version. We're not supposed to get a new game when it's just a remaster mate.

I have no doubts that GTA will improve even more in the future when it comes to bringing individuality in the NPC's. Giving them a purpose in this universe. But you expect way too much from a remastered version still...

Your supposed to die quickly. It's not Crackdown, you're not a super hero.

It's not a driving sim. The driving improved a lot in my personal opinion. They felt like boats in GTA IV. The only complaint I have about driving in GTA V is the option to steer the car mid air.

It sounds like the first version you played of GTA V was the remastered version. And that's okay. It's okay to not like the story but I see no reason at all to complain about it in this version of the game. RockStar is not supposed to change the story.

GTA V IS a summary of almost all previous ideas they had in their past games, though I miss ambulance missions etc. At least RockStar KEEPS their previous ideas for their upcoming games. Some game series just revamps into pure shit when they take away old options you used to have. GTA keeps old stuff and adds more stuff. That's how all games is supposed to grow and improve imo.

Deus Ex is garbage...

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

The First-person mode actually changed the game a bit for me. Really feels like a different sandbox this time around. I thought it was a fantastic game. Much better than the previous GTA offerings. By the way, GTA stories are all meant to be over-the-top, not realistic, and this one has less disconnect between character motivations and their end goals. But hey, to each their own. It's no Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar's best game so far IMO), but it's still great

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@hxce: agreed with all that apart from dues ex being garbage.:O

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hxce
@mastermetal777 said:

The First-person mode actually changed the game a bit for me. Really feels like a different sandbox this time around. I thought it was a fantastic game. Much better than the previous GTA offerings. By the way, GTA stories are all meant to be over-the-top, not realistic, and this one has less disconnect between character motivations and their end goals. But hey, to each their own. It's no Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar's best game so far IMO), but it's still great

I agree, I'm still far away from finishing the story in FP. But it's a nice touch to see things from another perspective. The FOV is okay, it does the job.

I agree again, it's not a RDR. RDR had the same "rockstar comic" touch to it but it was a much darker game overall, it's the best game they ever made. I hope the next game RockStar releases apart from DLC's perhaps to GTA V is a new Read Dead Redemption. And for **** sake give us another UNDEAD NIGHTMARE.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hxce

@thehig1 said:

@hxce: agreed with all that apart from dues ex being garbage.:O

Haha maybe I was too hard on it. I was more of a Red Faction 1-2 fan in that time. :)

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

i don't agree with much from the op. gta v got the balance between serious and over the top craziness just right - something they hadn't managed since vice city (ok, ballad of gay tony did too but that was an add-on).

if i had to pick fault with the game i'd say the police were far too eager and quick to open fire. steal a car? forget being arrested, they're just going to shoot the shit out of you. that wasn't fun.

and i preferred how previous games withheld parts of the map until later in the game. that way you could get to know an area well first before moving onto another part of the map. gtav felt a bit too big, too soon and i struggled to memorise the map to the same level i had in previous games. other than that and a few other personal preferences i loved it. i'm playing it on the ps4 at the moment and it's brilliant

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

@gajbutler said:

I don't like the driving physics, it feels like a step down from IV

i thought your post makes some sense but then i read this

no seriously now, GTA IV was the shittiest GTA ever and probably for all times, i never play a game for its story but i continued to play GTA IV for its story actually, the game itself wasnt much fun compared to other GTA titles....shit even GTA 1 was more fun with its top-down pixelgraphics

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hxce

I also think GTA IV was a major step-down after San Andreas. Not because of the engine switch but because they left out so much content and side-activities that you could do in previous GTA's. I'm still missing a lot of them in V.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sabretooth2066

@hxce said:

I also think GTA IV was a major step-down after San Andreas. Not because of the engine switch but because they left out so much content and side-activities that you could do in previous GTA's. I'm still missing a lot of them in V.

even the option to put on different clothings looked like major shit in GTA IV and was probably the worst character modification-system under all sandbox games with that feature, it never mattered if you put on a jacket or a pullover..it all just looked like shit...as if its in a weird way morphed into the shape of nico´s body as soon he put it on, so a jacket actually looked like a pullover.....but there werent that many clothings anyway...happily they included a shitload of boring side-activities once youve seen or played them you werent much in a hurry to repeat them too soon again

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hxce

What I miss is the Vigilante Missions, Taxi Missions and Ambulance Missions in GTA V. All three progressively got harder and they were a lot of fun imo.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#12 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@gajbutler: It's the same game with additional content and better graphics mate...

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Why do people expect a new game from a remaster?

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hxce

@jimmy_russell said:

I agree with exacly nothing the OP has written. That's all I can say.

Haha!

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 speedfreak48t5p

@jimmy_russell said:

I agree with exactly everything you have written.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

So.... It seems that you do not like GTA V... Why go out and get the remastered version of a game you don't like? Did you not do any research? A simple Google search could have told you it was the same game with new graphics.

I feel like this is a review you should have written for GTA when it came out, it's not much of a topic to discuss. You really dislike it, people will come in here and tell you they disagree and they love it or that they agree with you.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hxce

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@jimmy_russell said:

Let me just assemble these... There.

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 speedfreak48t5p

@hxce said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@jimmy_russell said:

Let me just assemble these... There.

You're sig..........

SmileyShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SmileyShoes
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

@gajbutler: True, there are many major glitches, and it doesn't work that wel

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#21 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Are you saying you played GTA V on a previous gen console, didn't like it, and then purchased it again on a new generation console? What the hell were you expecting? Glancing over your complaints, did you think they would change the story, overhaul the gameplay, and do something useless like make every building enter-able?

That's fine if you don't like the game, it just makes no sense to expect the actual game to be that much different just because it's a remaster...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

And on top of it of all its still a got typical Shitty Rockstar Missions....

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'm not sure how any game is supposed to fulfill your expectations when you go in expecting something that a game isn't trying to do.

danielchitts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 danielchitts
Member since 2014 • 49 Posts

Just joined this forum and no idea how to create a thread. The 'actions' button doesnt work.

Anyway. My question is.

When i go on gta v online it puts me in a map and NO ONE is EVER online with me. Why? Is it something i have done in settings?

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

I was hoping they'd flesh out the story more. they added those two massive expansions to IV, but done nothing at all with V in that same time. I was hoping they'd fix the crap canned animated physics and go for the more realistic dynamic physics of IV now they had more HP. I was hoping they'd fix a load of issues..... THEY'VE DONE **** ALL!

This is the worst GTA in the series as far as I'm concerned, all it has done is taken steps backwards.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sabretooth2066

@gajbutler said:

I was hoping they'd flesh out the story more. they added those two massive expansions to IV, but done nothing at all with V in that same time. I was hoping they'd fix the crap canned animated physics and go for the more realistic dynamic physics of IV now they had more HP. I was hoping they'd fix a load of issues..... THEY'VE DONE **** ALL!

This is the worst GTA in the series as far as I'm concerned, all it has done is taken steps backwards.

...you seriously need to take your medication....

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I previously argued that they should have done a remake of San Andreas instead and use the GTA 5 map of Los Santos in it

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'm enjoying my time with GTA V much more than when it was originally released, but a few major flaws are nigh game ruining:

• law enforcement sucks and is totally unrealistic
  • guns are useless against them or in aiding escapes
  • all cars don't seem to be able to outrun the cops
  • writing and characters are just awful
  • too many disposable throw away characters there simply as nothing more than a means to give missions
  • no ability to have custom soundtracks (probably will be possible in PC version)
  • can't delete txts or emails off of phones
  • cars don't save
hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hxce

@MirkoS77 said:

I'm enjoying my time with GTA V much more than when it was originally released, but a few major flaws are nigh game ruining:

• too many disposable throw away characters there simply as nothing more than a means to give missions
  • no ability to have custom soundtracks (probably will be possible in PC version)
  • cars don't save

To answer this.,,

1. Law enforcement has always been stupid.

2. Guns aren't useless

3. Really?

4. It's okay to think that

5. Fluffers

6. Should have been included yes.

7. You can

8. ???

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MirkoS77

@hxce

1. This is no excuse for it not to improve. This is the fifth game, it's past time for a serious evolution.

2. Yes, guns are much more a hindrance in helping to get away from them than they are a benefit. They provide barely any positives if used skillfully, in fact the game punishes the player for it. All using them accomplishes is flooding the streets with more cops. I've written a long post about this to R*, I'll elaborate and repost it here if you'd like, but it is a bit long.

3. Yes. At higher levels they are able to consistently ram you, no matter what hi-end car/bike you have. Impossible to outrun, the only way to lose them at 4-5 stars is to maneuver between traffic and hope they get into a crash.

4. Please don't patronize. If you'd like to provide a counter argument as to why not, then do so.

5. Agreed. GTA could do without half-75% of its character roster. I don't know who the majority of people on my contacts list are (or really could be bothered to care). Actually, I don't have trouble with ancillary characters, but they have to be well written. The reason they are forgettable is the writing is forgettable.

6. I'm fairly certain this well be optional in the PC version.

7. Could you please tell me how? I know you're right because I recall doing it in the original but I've tried everything and can't find a way (I'm on PS4, btw).

8. Cars are not saved in garages if used for anything more than joyriding them. You have to return the car intact to your safehouse....you can't take them out on missions and abandon/destroy them and then have them back in the garage when you return home. In the older games it didn't matter what you did, they'd always be there on return. This makes the customization shops useless. The only cars that are saved no matter what you do with them are the "default" cars, of which I've found no way to switch.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hxce

@MirkoS77:

1. I think they improved but they are still stupid. Major difference from IV to V was the cone vision instead of the circular wanted zone. It certaintly helped a lot for hiding in allies and stuff that otherwise wouldn't work in the previous GTA's. I think the stupidity just fits to the GTA Cop Satir you know.

2. Your firing a gun what do you except to happen? It's LS not the wild west. What they could improve though is the use of silencers.

3. You had me think that you wanted to be able to outrun the cops with ANY car. But it's just how it is. If your driving on the highway with 5 stars you're most likely not going to make it because of the helicopters and constant reinforcement. You'd be better off out-manoeuvring them in the streets between allies. I mean it's supposed to be insanely hard with 5 stars. What they could do instead is to bring the 6 stars back and make that the hardest wanted level. I miss being chased by the military with tanks etc.

4. I don't patronise mate. Theres not much we can discuss about the story anyway. RockStar at least gave us the FULL story experience with no bullshit like every other AAA title does with big plot holes forcing season passes customers. GTA 5 story was complete. And it's okay if you don't like it. I didn't say I was the biggest fan of every twist innit myself either so.

5. Well how many MAIN charachters do you see in the average game anyway. Even Skyrim doesn't go that in-depth with their side-mission charachters. And that's a role-playing game. But overall yes. They could have made less of the side-story and more of the main story indeed.

6. It has been an option ever since GTA3 on the PC.

7. I can't tell you for sure i'm sorry. I'm on the PS4/360 version, and on the 360 it was the X button. So maybe try marking the message you want to delete and press SQUARE. I need to try this myself.

8. Well GTA has the insurance system now. So if you total your car you have to bail it out. Try steal a random car if your afraid of destroying your own.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MirkoS77

@hxce said:

@MirkoS77:

1. I think they improved but they are still stupid. Major difference from IV to V was the cone vision instead of the circular wanted zone. It certaintly helped a lot for hiding in allies and stuff that otherwise wouldn't work in the previous GTA's. I think the stupidity just fits to the GTA Cop Satir you know.

2. Your firing a gun what do you except to happen? It's LS not the wild west. What they could improve though is the use of silencers.

Here's an excerpt from what I wrote about the police:

"They are so over-bearing in their response to killing (mostly of their own) that it relegates firearms to be entirely pointless aside from causing simple destruction. If I exercise tactical superiority through effective, aggressive, overwhelming force, that should afford me at least a small window of opportunity to escape after I annihilate cops in the local vicinity. All killing police and destroying their vehicles accomplishes currently is skyrocketing the wanted level which causes 10 more cop cars and 3 helicopters to appear out of nowhere and descend on me within a span of 15 seconds. If I destroy them, another 10 and 3 choppers replace them right away. This is absurd, and far from being remotely plausible, much less fun. No oneshould be left around to track me for at least a minute (at the minimum) so I have a window to flee if I use my guns properly.

In fact, the game penalizes the player for using firearms to try to escape so harshly that it's usually always a losing proposition, and is hence a pointless alternative unless you simply want to make life harder for yourself. Running is really the only viable option (which it should be ultimately in the long-term) but using force to help do so short-term should aid in this. Just knowing that getting into an engagement with the law is a forgone negative conclusion for the player from the start robs the game of a tremendous sense of freedom and enjoyment. If anything, deciding to use firearms should hold the potential to help if used skillfully, not further hinder with an endless abundance of sharpshooter officers endlessly falling out of the sky (I'm not saying the response shouldn't come or increase in severity, but not immediately nor right on top of you). As it stands, a heavy demonstration of force does nothing to cripple the capability of law enforcement, all it does is ensure a flood of more which quickly reaches the point of futility. Because of this, I don't even fight the cops, because I know no matter what, it equals automatic game over if I really want to try to force my way out of a predicament instead of run my way out of it."

It's so unbalanced at this point to be nearly game ruining. Nearly broken, and it makes guns a nigh pointless inclusion......in GTA. Think about that. Why the hell do they exist at all, this being the case? It really feels to me like R* is attempting to send a message with this: "resisting the cops is always a bad choice", but it ruins the fun.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hxce

@MirkoS77

I agree mate. Well written. The spawning is ridiculous and way to fast after committing a crime.

For Wanted Level 1-2 I really wish you could use threat more, maybe take hostages, waving your gun around pointing it at the police so you had the time to escape without causing instant havoc. The police is very aggressive even to the slightest thing.

But this is what I mean about the satir of GTA cops. Real life police is "generally" so power-abusive, though I can't speak for RockStar if that's what their parody is all about. But let me tell an example. There was one guy on LiveLeak the other day, he was carrying a knife. and there was +10 cops surrounding him. What happend? He got shot in the chest. No tasers? Rubber bullets? Shot in the leg? No they just killed him instantly right on the spot.

What i'm saying is maybe RockStar just want the cops to be insanely unbalanced like this. I mean everything they do is parody.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MirkoS77

@hxce said:

@MirkoS77

I agree mate. Well written. The spawning is ridiculous and way to fast after committing a crime.

For Wanted Level 1-2 I really wish you could use threat more, maybe take hostages, waving your gun around pointing it at the police so you had the time to escape without causing instant havoc. The police is very aggressive even to the slightest thing.

But this is what I mean about the satir of GTA cops. Real life police is "generally" so power-abusive, though I can't speak for RockStar if that's what their parody is all about. But let me tell an example. There was one guy on LiveLeak the other day, he was carrying a knife. and there was +10 cops surrounding him. What happend? He got shot in the chest. No tasers? Rubber bullets? Shot in the leg? No they just killed him instantly right on the spot.

What i'm saying is maybe RockStar just want the cops to be insanely unbalanced like this. I mean everything they do is parody.

That's an interesting point, but if that's their reason, it's not fun and I think they'd realize that.

Perhaps they are doing it in the sense of parody or satire, but they could accomplish this by having pedestrians being harassed or gunned down on the street in dynamic random encounters, or through radio station news announcements, billboards, etc. It's currently flawed because the police are a main mechanic and at the core of the gameplay. It's crucial that they are modeled correctly in GTA as the entire premise of the series revolves around varying degrees of criminal activity, therefor it demands that a plausible and somewhat in-depth judicial system with rules be present. I do not understand how this game managed to ship with such a basic binary system in place given the game's nature, especially since it's the 5th iteration.

These few changes would help out a lot, and they wouldn't be that hard to implement:

• institute fines for the lower wanted levels (1-3), varying in severity respective to the degree of the offense. I'm tired of having to hoof it simply for punching someone (or looking at someone too long). Lethal force should never be used against me unless I direct it first against cops or won't stop killing innocents. Always give the player the option to surrender and penalize them monetarily or with weapon confiscations.
  • ease off the spawning of cops during firefights, give their cars a set performance level, and have them try to stop you through tactics, not cheap artificial rubber banding that renders your own car's performance moot.

This is a bit OT, but this extends to making the police (and fighting them) more fun: Frankly, I think the entire gun modelling of the franchise needs to go back to the drawing board. I think many would disagree, but it'd be a much more tense and fun experience if I wasn't able to carry the entire U.S. Army's arsenal in my back pocket at all times. Have a gun room at the safe house. Allow a pistol, few grenades, an assault rifle to be carried. Drastically reduce the amount of ammo carried (but allow vests or coats to be bought that would extend this) but in turn heavily intensify the guns' power.

I could go on, but I don't want this to turn into an essay. Despite how insanely impressive I find GTA to be on a technical level, many elements of its gameplay have not at all evolved much since the original GTA III, or hell, even the first game, and it's heavily dragging the experience down. I hope R* understands this and is planning to address its many faults for VI.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

My only problem with GTA V on both the PS3+4 is the police. In the older games you could take a few shots and have a good shootout and then run like hell and (usually) get away, in V all the cops have turned into dirty harry and 2 shots kills you dead instantly killing the fun.

I still love GTA V massively however the police do put a negative spin on it.

vicky_john1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 vicky_john1
Member since 2014 • 230 Posts

@hxce said:

What I miss is the Vigilante Missions, Taxi Missions and Ambulance Missions in GTA V. All three progressively got harder and they were a lot of fun imo.

Agreed.. but there are several other activities to do in Gta 5 compared to other instalments.. Each

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hxce

@vicky_john1 said:

@hxce said:

Agreed.. but there are several other activities to do in Gta 5 compared to other instalments.. Each

Yes I know. But I don't see any reason at all not to keep them. We could have had them all really. :)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#38 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Macutchi said:

i don't agree with much from the op. gta v got the balance between serious and over the top craziness just right - something they hadn't managed since vice city (ok, ballad of gay tony did too but that was an add-on).

if i had to pick fault with the game i'd say the police were far too eager and quick to open fire. steal a car? forget being arrested, they're just going to shoot the shit out of you. that wasn't fun.

and i preferred how previous games withheld parts of the map until later in the game. that way you could get to know an area well first before moving onto another part of the map. gtav felt a bit too big, too soon and i struggled to memorise the map to the same level i had in previous games. other than that and a few other personal preferences i loved it. i'm playing it on the ps4 at the moment and it's brilliant

Yeah even if you commit a small crime the police are on your back it kind of ruins the fun innit.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I picked up the game, played the opening mission or two, and my thoughts are that the game is pretty decent but I just don't have time to play games like this anymore.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Heirren said:

I picked up the game, played the opening mission or two, and my thoughts are that the game is pretty decent but I just don't have time to play games like this anymore.

yeah with having 2 young kids and a wife it's hard to devote a lot of time to videogames I'm lucky if I get 3 hours of gaming at the weekend.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@sukraj said:

@Heirren said:

yeah with having 2 young kids and a wife it's hard to devote a lot of time to videogames I'm lucky if I get 3 hours of gaming at the weekend.

No children, personally, but games are not a priority. You ought to get Mario 3D World. I've heard that is great with kids, if you let them play games or not I do not know.

I rave about the wiiu so much because I don't make time for videogames, I don't play them as often, yet when time passes I find myself engulfed in Mario 3D World for too much time. Checked my log and if I remember correctly I had a 2.5 hour session on that game alone. That is extremely rare for me.

The problem with gta is it almost requires lengthy sessions.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

@gajbutler:

Maybe you should just stick to playing linear games

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

Say what you want about the relatively empty world or the fact that money is totally useless in the game...I think GTA V's biggest problem lies with its story.

It starts strong and has an interesting premise, but then completely fades away once the characters are united and...just want to make money. There's some side issues of betrayal, a few minor antagonists appear for a few scenes each, and some of the heist ideas were cool...but I didn't get the impression that the game had any kind of focused storyline or purpose to it.

In GTA IV, things escalated and characters had arcs. In GTA V, Michael has a bit of an arc, but the others don't. Plus nothing escalated - towards the end, the protagonists just say "why don't we kill everyone", and they do that, and that's the climax of the story. There's no reason why they couldn't do that earlier, and no real resolution (especially since I honestly couldn't remember who Franklin's nemesis was, and Trevor's nemesis was barely in the game)

Anyway, all-up, I get the impression that Rockstar either ran out of ideas after writing Michael's sections, or they added Trevor and Franklin really late in development. Either way, the story felt undercooked - and since the game's side activities weren't all that fun, the story really brought the game down for me.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@gajbutler said:

I was hoping they would flesh out the game a bit more with the remakes, but they've done nothing to it but graphics. The FoV is so narrow that I don't want to play in first person, they have a slider there but it does nothing. When playing the game it doesn't feel like an improvement as this is what the game looked like on the PS3 in my head. It just doesn't look that much better to the point where I think it is amazing, there are so many jaggies that I think it looks really dated a lot of the time.

The world is empty, you cannot go in any buildings unlike Ass Creed Unity where like half of them are enterable and it makes the world feel far more realistic and fleshed out. In GTA V they're all rectangles with textures placed on them, I was hoping for loads of shops to go in and hold up but there is only a few you can go in, even then you cannot get your gun out in most. I wanted every NPC to tell a story and have a pattern, but they're still all there for show. Watchdogs tried to do this (but failed) and other games like Sim City have tried (and failed) but GTA V never even attempted this.

I don't like the driving physics, it feels like a step down from IV, the cars are far too responsive it feels so arcadey. GTA IV tried some realism with the driving and it felt much more rewarding to drive them and like I was driving that vehicle. In V all the vehicles handle impossibly well and so well in fact that they feel too sensitive on the analogue sticks and the slightest input makes you turn loads.

They've also changed the damage model, vehicles don't get damaged dynamically any more. It is like canned damage, I cannot run into the same wall and see my vehicle slowly get chipped away at like in IV, only certain things will do loads of damage like driving into a train, even if it isn't moving. The damage model feels so fake and nowhere near as good a IV and vehicles will randomly explode before they often get to the point where you could make them into cubes like in IV.

What is up with how weak you are too? You want to run and gun and cause havoc, but you die so quickly. Why didn't they change this? Everyone I know complained about how quickly you can die, it just makes no sense in thiis open world game. The most fun I have is riding off cliffs in cars to see how many times I can roll or damage my vehicle, however this is the first GTA game where I cannot do that because I know I will die.... just sucks.

What is up with the crap story? I loved the opening but Franklin soon fades into obscurity and never has any story to himself again other than the Assassination missions. How he is tied up in all that feels so fake and unrealistic to his character, makes no sense what so ever. Then you have Michael, I love his family story but then they vanish quickly and you're just left with all the heist crap. I hate that stuff because it is so unrealistic, it would never happen in real life, every mission seems to be waves after waves of enemies you have to kill....... sucks. Trevor's story really makes sense at the start and I really love his story but then all the FIB crap enters in and ruins everything.

The story sucks, always the way with Rockstar, they make a great start and then they go over the top with action and suddenly the story turns to crap and you don't care about any of it any more. I'd rather have 24 characters with short stories about each one where they all interconnect with each other, you get a whole picture of what the city is about and all the different types of people. The story doesn't try to drag on with the same character where they run out of material and have to just go over the top and ruin it. A few movies have done that concept, even the Simpsons did it many years ago, it would be far more effective in a GTA type of game.

GTA V is just a game full of ideas that Rockstar have done over and over, it isn't doing anything new and isn't even their best work. Their story telling is the biggest let down, it is like everything is ripped from movies but not very well put together. As soon as the FIB enter the game... I lost interest in any of it as it was so unrealistic and dumb.

Edit: My biggest problem though has to be that you have no choice in missions,they're just dictated to you. Like when I had to deliver the guy to the airport after torturing him... why couldn't I just put a bullet in his head and get on with it? So many times I've wanted to do different things in a mission but it then fails the missions instead. I want Deus Ex like choice, that game feels more open ended than GTA...

Ummmm. You complain about GTA V feeling too arcade-like in some instances and then complain about dying if you drive off a cliff?

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

The only thing i agree with from the op is that GTA V uses a lot of the same ideas. Now, my disappointment is completely own fault because I should have no expected much; I admit that. Anyway, op, Idk why you expected things like enterable buildings and expansions. They did not even hint at any of this. I understand that you were already disappointed, but expecting so much from this version was ridiculous.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#46  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I think this game is a massive technical achievement, and I love the story because of Trevor. He's such an amazing character.

DHMATT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DHMATT90
Member since 2014 • 180 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

I think this game is a massive technical achievement, and I love the story because of Trevor. He's such an amazing character.

same!

@MirkoS77 said:

• cars don't save

-Realistic GTA?

-You probably don't know how to shoot in the game?

- lol

-If you say so. ok

- ok

-On the PS4 you can. I do it all the time. It's not a feature built in the game though.

- yes you can

- huh?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MirkoS77

@dhmatt90 said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

same!

@MirkoS77 said:

• cars don't save

-Realistic GTA?

-You probably don't know how to shoot in the game?

- lol

-If you say so. ok

- ok

-On the PS4 you can. I do it all the time. It's not a feature built in the game though.

- yes you can

- huh?

I've replied to these already. You may want to bother to read the thread before replying to me.

DHMATT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DHMATT90
Member since 2014 • 180 Posts

My bad, I should have read the thread.

@MirkoS77 said:

@hxce

1. This is no excuse for it not to improve. This is the fifth game, it's past time for a serious evolution.

2. Yes, guns are much more a hindrance in helping to get away from them than they are a benefit. They provide barely any positives if used skillfully, in fact the game punishes the player for it. All using them accomplishes is flooding the streets with more cops. I've written a long post about this to R*, I'll elaborate and repost it here if you'd like, but it is a bit long.

3. Yes. At higher levels they are able to consistently ram you, no matter what hi-end car/bike you have. Impossible to outrun, the only way to lose them at 4-5 stars is to maneuver between traffic and hope they get into a crash.

4. Please don't patronize. If you'd like to provide a counter argument as to why not, then do so.

5. Agreed. GTA could do without half-75% of its character roster. I don't know who the majority of people on my contacts list are (or really could be bothered to care). Actually, I don't have trouble with ancillary characters, but they have to be well written. The reason they are forgettable is the writing is forgettable.

6. I'm fairly certain this well be optional in the PC version.

7. Could you please tell me how? I know you're right because I recall doing it in the original but I've tried everything and can't find a way (I'm on PS4, btw).

8. Cars are not saved in garages if used for anything more than joyriding them. You have to return the car intact to your safehouse....you can't take them out on missions and abandon/destroy them and then have them back in the garage when you return home. In the older games it didn't matter what you did, they'd always be there on return. This makes the customization shops useless. The only cars that are saved no matter what you do with them are the "default" cars, of which I've found no way to switch.

-1; First of all, this isn't a simulator. For sure there is always room for improvement, but I don't see nothing wrong.

- 2; If you have a good arsenal, you can kill all the cops, and then try to run. I've done it many times (I like using the submarine) . Of course, they are always gonna keep sending more and more cops after you.

-3 ;At 5 stars the only problem I always have is the helicopter and road blocks. Cops are indeed more aggressive and faster, but I can outrun them...

- 4 and 5; I see your point, and although I don't think characters and writing are that awful, I do think they could improve a lot.

- 6; On the ps4, with the ps4 music feature, I have been listening to all my music library in game.

- 7 ;Go to the message or text and press square.

- 8; actually, you are right. Now if you want a car to always be saved you need to buy it...

@MirkoS77 said:

• institute fines for the lower wanted levels (1-3), varying in severity respective to the degree of the offense. I'm tired of having to hoof it simply for punching someone (or looking at someone too long). Lethal force should never be used against me unless I direct it first against cops or won't stop killing innocents. Always give the player the option to surrender and penalize them monetarily or with weapon confiscations.
  • ease off the spawning of cops during firefights, give their cars a set performance level, and have them try to stop you through tactics, not cheap artificial rubber banding that renders your own car's performance moot.

This is a bit OT, but this extends to making the police (and fighting them) more fun: Frankly, I think the entire gun modelling of the franchise needs to go back to the drawing board. I think many would disagree, but it'd be a much more tense and fun experience if I wasn't able to carry the entire U.S. Army's arsenal in my back pocket at all times. Have a gun room at the safe house. Allow a pistol, few grenades, an assault rifle to be carried. Drastically reduce the amount of ammo carried (but allow vests or coats to be bought that would extend this) but in turn heavily intensify the guns' power.

I could go on, but I don't want this to turn into an essay. Despite how insanely impressive I find GTA to be on a technical level, many elements of its gameplay have not at all evolved much since the original GTA III, or hell, even the first game, and it's heavily dragging the experience down. I hope R* understands this and is planning to address its many faults for VI.

I like the two point you made. That could actually improve the gameplay, I just never really thought about it.

What I like about GTA is the fact that is not too realistic though. I want it to be arcadish. All the cops in your ass shooting at you like you are the devil, to me, is only a challenge. I don't look at it as being far or not.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

@gajbutler:

So my only question is you realized all this and then used up and wasted even more energy before or after you gave rockstar your $60?

If you really were expecting all the things and improvements you listed as something that was going to actually happen to a re-release of a game that only came out last year then................may the gods help us for my gaming brethrens are the dumbest bunch and they shame me so. *quietly shakes head in solitude* and looks at you with disgust.