No Man's Sky will take 5 billion years to explore

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So that means no one will ever see everything, seing how the sun will run out of fuel in 4.6 billion years

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

man, this is gonna be one AWESOME game. getting it when i get my PS4.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#3 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Since the game will be constantly generating new planets, I wouldn't be surprised if that's an accurate estimate. Question is how are they going to prevent most of those planets from being too similar to one another. Not much point in trying to see everything if there's not enough unique content, after all.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I'll say the same thing I said when I saw the news on Twitter. How in God's name did they test the game?

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

@c_rakestraw: even when you get the game, it will still be generating new planets?

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Procedurally regenerated. lol, that ends it right there. Even the planet shown in the video looked pretty darn boring.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It took two weeks of real time to cross Daggerfall. And only takes like half an hour to cross Oblivion and Skyrim.

Quality >>> Quantity

Always.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#8  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@watchdogsrules said:

@c_rakestraw: even when you get the game, it will still be generating new planets?

Every player is supposed to start on a undiscovered planet, so yes. As I understand it, the developers have something set up to monitor every new planet it makes as they appear so they can tweak variables on the fly. Pretty wild stuff.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I anticipate this game greatly. I hope Hello Games is able to achieve what they've stated because I truly believe the technology will change the way design limitations are handled. It's one of those games that if it does nothing else it will create an Asimovian spectacle for future technology, whether that future technology is obtainable is yet to be seen.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Elite: Dangerous will be even bigger:

Loading Video...

Both games are shaping up to be great. I can't wait to play them.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

So Infinte Discovery ?

But how many of these worlds will actually have meaningfull differences ?

Will it be like Mass Effect where you actually only have one world thats just reskinned 12 times ?

Why don't they let the players and gaming community design these worlds instead ?

Procedural Generation may churn out infinite worlds but UGC will have more meaningfull worlds.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

This game would be the perfect framework for the ultimate game years from now with every game made so far combined into it. Each game would be set on its own planet or planets which would depend on its original story. No Man's Sky is potentially amazing. When traversing through space, the game would control like No Man's Sky and then the control scheme would change for a specific game within the universe of No Man's Sky. Access to each game would require an internet connection as they would be streamed from cloud servers. NMS would be on a hard drive of a powerful computing device.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#13 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I'm still interested, but I just wonder how unique these planets will be. I know they are all technically going to be different in some way, but I'm wondering if I will still want to continue exploring planets after my first 100, let alone my first 10 or so. Also, I like the idea of running into a random person while exploring, but even if that was possible, it would be virtually impossible by the looks of it. Anyway, still keeping an eye on this game. I don't want to get too excited, but there's definitely great potential.

IamYourF4th3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IamYourF4th3r
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Procedural generation. Infinite cycling of the basic content. I'd love to see that since each experience should be totally unique (in terms of environment), but the devs should not rely on this to claim unique content - they should still be developing DLC's , new ship types, new species, enemies, etc.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

So that means no one will ever see everything, seing how the sun will run out of fuel in 4.6 billion years

Well, considering that its procedural generated its not actually news and its only limited by the size of the hardware. Also the real problem is the content i would like to see how they deal with this.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

Procedurally regenerated. lol, that ends it right there. Even the planet shown in the video looked pretty darn boring.

i agree on this. there will be 10-15 planet and creature types and they will be mixed with different colors. Meh.. but i think it will be exciting few hours before it gets boring

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I don't know what's all the fuss about with this game to be honest. It seems like a really boring space simulator with little variety and now I learn that it has procedural generated maps. Elite dangerous isn't much different either. The only space simulator I'm getting is star citizen.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Sounds to me like it will get old in 18 billion microseconds. That's about 5 hours, in case you were wondering.

Still a really interesting game though.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Well, considering that its procedural generated its not actually news and its only limited by the size of the hardware. Also the real problem is the content i would like to see how they deal with this.

True, but it's huge!

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

I'm still interested, but I just wonder how unique these planets will be. I know they are all technically going to be different in some way, but I'm wondering if I will still want to continue exploring planets after my first 100, let alone my first 10 or so. Also, I like the idea of running into a random person while exploring, but even if that was possible, it would be virtually impossible by the looks of it. Anyway, still keeping an eye on this game. I don't want to get too excited, but there's definitely great potential.

They still haven't explained what there is to do on these planets. They've hinted at things, like stating there will be some force/presence/entity in the universe that will kind of unify the experience for players and compel them to certain goals, but I don't recall seeing anything explaining that in more detail. I'm pretty sure I heard that they're trying to make it so that people on your friendslist start in nearby regions...or maybe that was one of the other two big star sims coming out in the future.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I won't.......I can't believe it until I play it.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Behardy24

When is this coming out and how much will it cost?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@behardy24 said:

It's coming in 2015 and probably 30 bucks perhaps

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#25 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Yeah, but what's there to do between going from place to place to make moment-to-moment gameplay interesting.

The more info that's being released for this game, the more I am being reminded of the hype from Spore all those years ago.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

@illmatic87 said:

Yeah, but what's there to do between going from place to place to make moment-to-moment gameplay interesting.

The more info that's being released for this game, the more I am being reminded of the hype from Spore all those years ago.

Well it's the exploration and i believe there is space combat

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

Interesting

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Behardy24

@The_Last_Ride said:

@behardy24 said:

It's coming in 2015 and probably 30 bucks perhaps

Thanks! :D

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Behardy24

@The_Last_Ride: I thought is was coming out sooner, but it's okay. I can wait. 30 bucks seems a bit deep for an downloadable game, but I bet (hope) it will be all worth it.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ish_basic

@behardy24 said:

@The_Last_Ride: I thought is was coming out sooner, but it's okay. I can wait. 30 bucks seems a bit deep for an downloadable game, but I bet (hope) it will be all worth it.

I dunno. We pay $60 right now for 10 hour games. What's 5 billion years in hours? *calculates* About 4.38 x 10^13 hours. Thirty bucks sounds like a good deal.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Behardy24

@Ish_basic said:

@behardy24 said:

I dunno. We pay $60 right now for 10 hour games. What's 5 billion years in hours? *calculates* About 4.38 x 10^13 hours. Thirty bucks sounds like a good deal.

Lol. I guess.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

So full of reused planets with minimal changes and probably barren, nice!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu

@Krelian-co

just like your posts. :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lulu_Lulu

@Krelian-co

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Krelian-co

flagged for disruptive posting.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#37 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@illmatic87 said:

Then previews should focus on space combat and exploration itself.

I'm getting sick and tired of previews that make a note of "See those mountains" or "See those stars". Those are really not worth showing unless the journey there is actually intersting, filled with activities to do.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lulu_Lulu

@Krelian-co

Again.... Just like you.... ! :p

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#39 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@Ish_basic said:

They still haven't explained what there is to do on these planets. They've hinted at things, like stating there will be some force/presence/entity in the universe that will kind of unify the experience for players and compel them to certain goals, but I don't recall seeing anything explaining that in more detail. I'm pretty sure I heard that they're trying to make it so that people on your friendslist start in nearby regions...or maybe that was one of the other two big star sims coming out in the future.

This video goes in to some detail as to what you can do on planets. In short, if I remember right since I don't feel like watching the whole thing again, you can do things like mine and collective resources, explore underwater, and I think there might be hostile creatures to kill or something. Or maybe you can just kill them anyway. But yes, what you can actually do on these planets will probably be vital in whether or not it's worth exploring so many of them. If there's only a few repetitive things to do, things could get boring pretty quickly.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lulu_Lulu

@SoNin360

But will these worlds be Structured and not Random. Can they procedurally generate clever design, item placements, dangerous hazard placements, and stuff like that ? I think we can all agree we don't want things to feel like Skyrims Dungeons.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I wonder if the ratio of habitable planets will be as minimal as in realistic conditions. Encountering barren and empty planets all the time could end up boring while constantly coming across populated and filled with life ones would be unrealistic. They should keep a nice balance there. Every new populated planet discovered should infuse feelings of excitement about the unknown, if they accomplish this along with meaningful activities like combat, quests etc it'll be a success.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Just because a game's content is procedurally generated does not mean it is immune from repetitive gameplay. The procedures are still based on a finite set of rules and conditions for generating content. There may be virtually infinite combinations of colors, shapes, and sizes of things you see. But the number of types of things and what they do are still going to be limited of course. Look at the classic game Diablo; its levels were procedurally generated. But that didn't do much from preventing many of levels from feeling the same after playing the game for hours. Still was loads of fun though.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@illmatic87 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@illmatic87 said:

Then previews should focus on space combat and exploration itself.

I'm getting sick and tired of previews that make a note of "See those mountains" or "See those stars". Those are really not worth showing unless the journey there is actually intersting, filled with activities to do.

True, but it's still a ways off. They have to show it before release

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_Last_Ride

@Ish_basic said:

@behardy24 said:

It's an indie game, i don't see it being a full price retail game

Avatar image for delete-easycomeeasygo
delete-EasyComeEasyGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 delete-EasyComeEasyGo
Member since 2011 • 382 Posts

Wait so what your saying is that using FTL [faster-then-light] is limited in No Man's Sky? I mean did Hello Games said anything about FTL?

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ish_basic
@EasyComeEasyGo said:

Wait so what your saying is that using FTL [faster-then-light] is limited in No Man's Sky? I mean did Hello Games said anything about FTL?

I'm sure there's liberal usage of FTL travel. It'd be impossible to explore the game without it. They're just saying there's a lot of planets to visit and this estimate is just based on spending 1 second on each planet.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 The_Last_Ride

@Ish_basic said:
@EasyComeEasyGo said:

I'm sure there's liberal usage of FTL travel. It'd be impossible to explore the game without it. They're just saying there's a lot of planets to visit and this estimate is just based on spending 1 second on each planet.

exactly and it would take 5 billion years to explore them all

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Is it worth it?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 The_Last_Ride

@PsychoLemons said:

Is it worth it?

We don't know, the game is far from being released

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@PsychoLemons said:

Is it worth it?

We don't know, the game is far from being released

I meant the exploring bit. It reminds of the Farlands of Minecraft.