"No Brainer" for Activision to Buy Take-Two/Rockstar/2k

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jacanuk (7785 posts) -

It might be a no-brainer for Activision but it would be the worst mistake Take-Two would ever make, they have enough cash to keep them well above waters and they have some of the highest respect ip´s in the gaming world under their wing because of Rockstar and 2K. Activision is like EA they ruin everything they get their hands into, and yes i know COD sells and many of their ip´s sell, but looking at what Diablo was and how Blizzard´s usually high quality has deteriorated i fear for GTA and Rockstar and i enjoy GTA but not as a yearly release.

So i hope Activision burn in a hot place before they ever get to own Rockstar. But what do you guys think?

By now you might have seen reports on the possibility that Activision is interested in buying Take-Two Interactive, which owns Grand Theft Auto V developer Rockstar, and 2K Games, which publishes Bioshock,Borderlands, and other big game series. There's little evidence that it will happen, but according to Benchmark analyst Mike Hickey, the deal would make a lot of sense.

"For Activision, acquiring Take-Two Interactive would be a no-brainer, in our view, circling some of the strongest development talent and owned IP in the world, within a company that has nearly $1 billion in cash and trades at a comparably lower multiple," Hickey said in a report published Friday.

According to Hickey, Activision's and Take-Two's interests align at least in part because of a shared interest in the movie business. In December, Take-Two president Karl Slatoff stated interest in movie adaptations of the company's games, and Rockstar co-founder Dan Houser has previously mentioned they've explored Grand Theft Auto movie deals in the past. Hickey adds that Activision may be in the process of forming an internal movie studio to adapt its games, and that this could in part be related to an "emerging romance" between Activision and Take-Two that could lead to an eventual acquisition.

Hickey also cites the decline of World of Warcraft subscribers, increasing competition against Activision's Skylanders franchise from Disney Infinity, and possible Call of Duty fatigue as reasons for Activision to acquire Take-Two. Owning Red Dead, Borderlands, and other games along with a potential movie adaptation of Grand Theft Auto "would seem like a very smart move for Activision," he said.

#2 Edited by Ish_basic (4597 posts) -

It's the "in" thing in the US...buying out the competition and becoming more bloated. Just look at our TV...there's like six companies that own all those channels...which explains why I have 1500 channels (that is not an exaggeration) and there's nothing on.

#3 Edited by Jacanuk (7785 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

It's the "in" thing in the US...buying out the competition and becoming more bloated. Just look at our TV...there's like six companies that own all those channels...which explains why I have 1500 channels (that is not an exaggeration) and there's nothing on.

Yep i know the americans love monopolies, well most businessmen do.

But if this went through i would almost bet my entire savings on that GTA would become a new COD yearly ip, with more and more focus on mp elements and less focus on single player, unless Rockstar have such a construction that they have more then normal freedom and still operates as a self-owned company.

If they are entirely caught up in Take-Two it would be a end of so many great games that EA would look like a saint compared to Activision.

#4 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (1069 posts) -

Really, really don't have many nice things to say about Activision. I can't stand them.

#5 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Hasn't Activision been trying buy Take-Two and their assets for years now? And while Activision scream "LET ME BUY YOU", hasn't Take-Two just whisper "No." I can't think of a reason of why this time would be different.

#6 Posted by Jacanuk (7785 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

Hasn't Activision been trying buy Take-Two and their assets for years now? And while Activision scream "LET ME BUY YOU", hasn't Take-Two just whisper "No." I can't think of a reason of why this time would be different.

Hmm, cant remember Activision or Vivendi being rumoured to buy Take-Two. I know EA had their attempt a few years back but got shot down by Take-Two because the offer was to low.

Also after giving it some thought and looking at the source this Hickey isent known for his good "predictions" Not to mention that even though Activision have a huge vault, they just bought their freedom which was if im not mistaken around 8bill$

I think this might be a case of a quack and some freelancers having to much time on their hands.

#7 Posted by Shmiity (5916 posts) -

Ugh, I hope this doesn't happen. Gross.

#8 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

Lets just wait and see what happens before you we start bitching.

Avatar image for platinumking320
#9 Posted by platinumking320 (668 posts) -

I hated activistion since they oversaturated Tony Hawk. They're always doing this. You know they tried to buy out Id Software back when they had a partnership deal to release Quake 2 and the expansion packs?

Yeah they're shameless pimps when it comes to games publishing. Valve ignored countless calls from EA and Microsoft trying to own them too.

Fight em Houser bros. Fight them tooth and nail!!

#10 Posted by dakan45 (18819 posts) -

I cant believe the company that made 30 million plus sales on gta v will wont to be bought out from activision. Where is the competition if our great overlord Kotick owns everything?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#11 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (11905 posts) -

**** Activision.

Avatar image for deactivated-584057f735a5d
#12 Posted by deactivated-584057f735a5d (25 posts) -

I agree Take-Two have enough money to go it alone, would hate for them to be brought by Activision.

#13 Edited by mjorh (4565 posts) -

Activision is the most hated for me ...

And there is nothing reasonable and sensible with their plan.

#14 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

NO! N O, don't fucking do it! Activision will milk the **** out of everything. GTA will be an annual release and all the sports games will be crap and generic

#15 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@behardy24 said:

Hmm, cant remember Activision or Vivendi being rumoured to buy Take-Two. I know EA had their attempt a few years back but got shot down by Take-Two because the offer was to low.

Also after giving it some thought and looking at the source this Hickey isent known for his good "predictions" Not to mention that even though Activision have a huge vault, they just bought their freedom which was if im not mistaken around 8bill$

I think this might be a case of a quack and some freelancers having to much time on their hands.

I totally forgot EA had attempted to buy them years, so I guess that's what I was thinking about. But I swear, I felt like I heard Activision attempting to buy them out before. But whatever, offers like this probably happen all the time, it's just that we don't hear about it.

Also, I think this acquisition probably won't happen.

#16 Edited by Jacanuk (7785 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@behardy24 said:

I totally forgot EA had attempted to buy them years, so I guess that's what I was thinking about. But I swear, I felt like I heard Activision attempting to buy them out before. But whatever, offers like this probably happen all the time, it's just that we don't hear about it.

Also, I think this acquisition probably won't happen.

Ya it was lucky EA didn't just go crazy and buy them no matter what, GTA would never have been GTA if they had been more open with their wallet.

But from Take-Two´s side if they do sell it would make absolute no sense , GTA V is the best selling console title and they have made a shit ton of cash on it, not to mention that they are still not even out on next.gen and pc.

#17 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

I know there is a lot of laws preventing/slowing down companies from building monopolys here in America, but I don't think they're ever enforce highly. When everyone thought Google was going to buy Twitch, a business site thought the purchase couldn't be attainable by law because Google already own Youtube which is the biggest video streaming site service ever and owning another one (Twitch) would be against the already placed monopoly laws.

Possibly the same thing applys here, but I'm not sure.

#18 Posted by SovietsUnited (2451 posts) -

Doubt this will happen, remember when EA tried to do the same

#19 Posted by mbrockway (3556 posts) -

Annualized GTA by Treyarch studio! I can't even stand the ones that come out every 5 years. The cynical part of me wants Bobby to buy them then destroy the franchise.

#20 Edited by torenojohn7 (510 posts) -

@Jacanuk: "Activision is interested in buying Take-Two Interactive"

NO JUST NO! activision was one of the companies which led to the crash of the 80's!

#21 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (11209 posts) -

@Shmiity said:

Ugh, I hope this doesn't happen. Gross.

Yep... it would be horrible. I can already see the yearly GTA releases happening...

#22 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

@SovietsUnited said:

Doubt this will happen, remember when EA tried to do the same

This.

#23 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@mjorh said:

Activision is the most hated for me ...

And there is nothing reasonable and sensible with their plan.

i really hope this doesn't happen

Avatar image for notorious1234na
#24 Posted by Notorious1234NA (1917 posts) -

I wouldn't mind

GTA series gets stale quick as soon as you beat the story. If You don't like story mode not even worth getting the game, a problem many had with GTA4. People may blame Activision for milking COD, but its the exact same reason why COD gets a remake every year. The game is boring and a new paint job is just the right tool to bring new life into the game.

#25 Posted by firefox59 (4530 posts) -

If there's any company that shouldn't sell it's Take-Two. They are on fire right now and keep posting better and better quarter earnings. This is without mentioning that Activision is scum.

#26 Posted by xirrationalx (25 posts) -

If Activision aquires Take-Two, it will be a devastating hit to all of the gaming world. Statistically, Activsion develops the highest ratio of horribly rated games because of two factors; they produce the most games for a developer and moreover they produce incompetent, incomplete games that should have NEVER seen the light of day ( I.E. Duck Dynasty from the history channel and more). It's clear that Activision has no concern for the advancment and evolution of gaming, they ONLY care about money and monopolizing the industry. Call of Duty games are a clear attestment to that fact, over the past half a dozen years they've released over 7 titles I believe, all of which run on older, existing engines with only enough alterations so they can market and sell it as a brand new game to the most blind demographic in all the gaming community. If COD players take the intiative to just branch out to games from other developers they'd realize for themselves that the COD franchise is nothing but a black hole to the gaming industry, aquiring a huge chunk of all console games sold to people who are subject to succumbing to the billion dollar marketing strategy of Activision's, and having others decide for them that it's THE game to buy. Take-Two is instantly recognizable as an accomplished and exceedingly deticated developer that for years has titles that top the charts. If Activision aquires the name-sake they will continue to create terrible games while achieving even more sales, just look at Destiny. Bungie had an epic concept for the game but ran into financial troubles and a fast approaching deadline, they let Activion on board and the game that was released was entirely different than what was promised. They created a franchise abomination, guaranteed to release tid-bit expansions for a premium fee over the next few years, all requiring an amount of play that is beyond what most spend on gaming. Activision needs to be stopped!

#27 Posted by JustPlainLucas (76602 posts) -

If Activision buys Take Two, I'm not sure they'll screw with their formula. GTA makes a shitload of money. They just want a cut.

#28 Posted by dotWithShoes (5272 posts) -

@xirrationalx said:

If Activision aquires Take-Two, it will be a devastating hit to all of the gaming world. Statistically, Activsion develops the highest ratio of horribly rated games because of two factors; they produce the most games for a developer and moreover they produce incompetent, incomplete games that should have NEVER seen the light of day ( I.E. Duck Dynasty from the history channel and more). It's clear that Activision has no concern for the advancment and evolution of gaming, they ONLY care about money and monopolizing the industry. Call of Duty games are a clear attestment to that fact, over the past half a dozen years they've released over 7 titles I believe, all of which run on older, existing engines with only enough alterations so they can market and sell it as a brand new game to the most blind demographic in all the gaming community. If COD players take the intiative to just branch out to games from other developers they'd realize for themselves that the COD franchise is nothing but a black hole to the gaming industry, aquiring a huge chunk of all console games sold to people who are subject to succumbing to the billion dollar marketing strategy of Activision's, and having others decide for them that it's THE game to buy. Take-Two is instantly recognizable as an accomplished and exceedingly deticated developer that for years has titles that top the charts. If Activision aquires the name-sake they will continue to create terrible games while achieving even more sales, just look at Destiny. Bungie had an epic concept for the game but ran into financial troubles and a fast approaching deadline, they let Activion on board and the game that was released was entirely different than what was promised. They created a franchise abomination, guaranteed to release tid-bit expansions for a premium fee over the next few years, all requiring an amount of play that is beyond what most spend on gaming. Activision needs to be stopped!

You do realize Activision is not a developer, only a publisher. Destiny was announced after Bungie signed on with Activision. Don't think you honestly know wtf you are talking about.

#29 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (11209 posts) -

Makes my skin crawl to think that this might happen.

#30 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

Do not bump old threads please, will be locking this.