Nintendo is pulling 8GB Wii U consoles from gamestop stores

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18182 posts) -

http://kotaku.com/8gb-wii-u-basic-nixed-511324442

Apparently, gamestop store managers received this note from the company:

Nintendo Wii U Basic Recall - Two Week Preparation On Tuesday, 6/18, all stores will need to return all new/unopened Wii U Basic (020359). .. Stores that have 10 or more in stock will receive shipping cartons from the [distribution center]. .. All other stores will need to save shipping cartons for this recall.

So, basic Wii U consoles are being recalled from gamestop, while 32Gb ones are not, at last at the moment. The reason is a mystery. Are they going to retool them and put them back on the market with a bigger storace device? Or is this the beginning of the Wii U going the way of the Dreamcast?

#2 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Whatever it is, it ain't good. 

Gonna cost a buttload just in shipping alone. 

#3 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

And so it begi.......

ends.

#4 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

I still can't believe Nintendo actually put out a console with an 8 GB HDD. :lol:

#5 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

I still can't believe Nintendo actually put out a console with an 8 GB HDD. :lol:UpInFlames

It's Nintendo. Are you really that surprised?

#6 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
There should be no basic anyway. Price cut coming for the 32G.
#7 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I still can't believe Nintendo actually put out a console with an 8 GB HDD. :lol:

UpInFlames

The worst part is that they had a system update that was like 5GB. :lol:

#8 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

The worst part is that they had a system update that was like 5GB. :lol:dvader654

Oh man, that's right! What a joke.

#9 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18182 posts) -

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

dvader654

vader is laughing at Nintendo.Now I can die happy
#10 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
They gotta be planning something for E3. The timing of this is way too close for it to be a coincidence.

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]I still can't believe Nintendo actually put out a console with an 8 GB HDD. :lol:c_rake

It's Nintendo. Are you really that surprised?

What he said.
#11 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

dvader654

i think that's one of the biggest reasons they're pulling the 8GB. it's completely ridiculous to have that little storage on a gaming console nowadays. honestly, i think 32GB is way too low.
#12 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

Black_Knight_00

vader is laughing at Nintendo.Now I can die happy

Wow, that's terrible. I feel bad for the people that bought that model.
#13 Posted by LAN7ERN (373 posts) -
This could be the start of the end or the beginning of a good thing for Nintendo.
#14 Posted by TwistedShade (3138 posts) -

Sounds like something is coming up at E3. Maybe 32Gb will be the standard with a price drop.

#16 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

They'll likely replace the basic model with the white 32GB Wii U that's coming out in Japan. 

The Basic package was a pretty big fail since for $50 more you get a lot of extra stuff, it's worth it. This way Nintendo can give people a high end white version and don't have to drop the price right away.

#17 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

To be fair, the Wii U storage is not a "hard drive" per say; it's flash memory.

Still, my phone is older than the Wii U and has 8 GB of internal memory, with the possibility of adding more with a SD Card. That console is such a disaster. 

Also, the Dreamcast had good hardware, a strong library and was the first console with online play, amongst other innovations. The Wii U has like 2 games, awful online functionalities, awful hardware. They're not comparable. 

#18 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6024 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

LoG-Sacrament

i think that's one of the biggest reasons they're pulling the 8GB. it's completely ridiculous to have that little storage on a gaming console nowadays. honestly, i think 32GB is way too low.

With digital content so widespread, anything under 250GB is too low. 

#19 Posted by BuryMe (22017 posts) -

They're going to bundle them with something just to try and get through them. I can't think of any other reason to pull them so quickly.

#20 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -
Good, it was useless. Gimme a pearl white 32 GB Wii U bundled with a game for $299 and I'll buy one right now. (a REAL game, not Nintendo Land)
#21 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Good, it was useless. Gimme a pearl white 32 GB Wii U bundled with a game for $299 and I'll buy one right now. (a REAL game, not Nintendo Land)Randolph

NintendoLand is the best game on the system right now. 

#22 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -

[QUOTE="Randolph"]Good, it was useless. Gimme a pearl white 32 GB Wii U bundled with a game for $299 and I'll buy one right now. (a REAL game, not Nintendo Land)S0lidSnake

I gave NSMBU the edge over it myself, even though NSMBU painfully continues to recycle the same character models and music, it's still one of the most refined Mario platformers in years in terms of gameplay. Pikmin 3 will shit on them both, though.
#23 Posted by BranKetra (47797 posts) -
With the Electronic Entertainment Expo about to occur, I anticipate Nintendo making a better deal for the 32 gb Wii U and completely discontinue the 8 gb version. Nintendo just cannot be successful the way things are now with the Microsoft Xbox One and Sony PlayStation 4 about to be available for purchase.
#24 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -

I said it in the Wii forum, and I'll say it here. $349 is a death sentence for the Wii U. Nothing can be done at that number. Nothing.

#25 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="Randolph"]Good, it was useless. Gimme a pearl white 32 GB Wii U bundled with a game for $299 and I'll buy one right now. (a REAL game, not Nintendo Land)S0lidSnake

I agree with this. Though many say Lego City is the best game now.
#26 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Randolph"]Good, it was useless. Gimme a pearl white 32 GB Wii U bundled with a game for $299 and I'll buy one right now. (a REAL game, not Nintendo Land)dvader654

Which illustrates that this system has no library, which illustrates that this is not a price issue only. I still wouldn't buy a Wii U at $200 because there's nothing I want to play on it. Waggle-free Metroid Prime and Punch Out would go a long ways towards changing that, but even then, I don't think I want to spend $300 to play two games on such a shaky platform. 

With its current library (and what's been announced), I would buy one for $99. If it had the kind of library it should have by this point, I would pay much, much more. 

#27 Posted by juradai (2783 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Shame-usBlackley

Which illustrates that this system has no library, which illustrates that this is not a price issue only. I still wouldn't buy a Wii U at $200 because there's nothing I want to play on it. Waggle-free Metroid Prime and Punch Out would go a long ways towards changing that, but even then, I don't think I want to spend $300 to play two games on such a shaky platform. 

With its current library (and what's been announced), I would buy one for $99. If it had the kind of library it should have by this point, I would pay much, much more. 

I often times have forgotten that the WiiU is a newly released console. There is just absolutely nothing that warrants me to even give it a look. Nothing. Not even $99. I say your still giving it too much credit at this time. This all might be circumstantial, but even the Wii had games that prompted me to buy it, whereas the WiiU is just an afterthought and is dissipating as quickly as it appeared. When people even talk about the WiiU I actually just tune it out as if I am hearing someone discuss politics with another individual. I'm just disappointed that even got this way, so much so that I wonder if it is even me that has changed. Clearly though, I am not the only one that shares the sentiment on the WiiU and it's current irrelevance. I truly do hope that things turn around for it.
#28 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Wow. Tragedy. I had no clue they had a 5gb system update. Just from a consumer standpoint, I'd want that product to fail horribly. So confused on why Nintendo thought this was a good idea.

#29 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

It's actually just selling so poorly that Gamestop is sending them all back to Nintendo.   Has nothing to do with Nintendo "pulling" them or anything like that.

#30 Posted by Blueresident87 (5312 posts) -

UpInFlames

Really? This should surprise nobody, Nintendo has not a clue.

#31 Posted by alexwatchtower (1561 posts) -

Well, it's not selling, so not really surprised.

#32 Posted by scoots9 (3191 posts) -

Still, my phone is older than the Wii U and has 8 GB of internal memory, with the possibility of adding more with a SD Card. That console is such a disaster. 

Also, the Dreamcast had good hardware, a strong library and was the first console with online play, amongst other innovations. The Wii U has like 2 games, awful online functionalities, awful hardware. They're not comparable. 

ReddestSkies

Wii U has the possibility of adding a 2TB HDD. I'd like to see you do that with your phone.

#33 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18182 posts) -

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

scoots9

Wii U has the possibility of adding a 2TB HDD. I'd like to see you do that with your phone.

A phone doesn't have 10GB games to download and store, the Wii U does
#34 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

scoots9

It's a phone, Nintendo lover guy.

#35 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

This isn't at all surprising, with all the retailer-specific price cuts that have been happening in the last few months.

E3 better bring some serious firepower for this system... and I mean serious.

#36 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Shame-usBlackley

I have heard from many that Lego City is just as good as any of the best open world games this gen, comparing favorably to the likes of Sleeping Dogs and such. Sadly no one will play it cause it is just on Wii U.
#37 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"] I agree with this. Though many say Lego City is the best game now. dvader654

I have heard from many that Lego City is just as good as any of the best open world games this gen, comparing favorably to the likes of Sleeping Dogs and such. Sadly no one will play it cause it is just on Wii U.

No one will play it because it's Lego City. 

#38 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Sadly no one will play it cause it is just on Wii U.S0lidSnake

Truth, it's the singular reason I won't consider it any point.  I'm beyond sick of Lego anything in games.

#39 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Sadly no one will play it cause it is just on Wii U.Randolph

Truth, it's the singular reason I won't consider it any point.  I'm beyond sick of Lego anything in games.

It is nothing like the other Lego games.
#40 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -
[QUOTE="dvader654"] It is nothing like the other Lego games.

That's not my issue. The issue for me is the lego aesthetic as a whole.
#41 Posted by Megavideogamer (5278 posts) -

Nintendo has finally realized that having a 8GB flash memory Wii U SKU is not worth it. Since November 18th 2012 there have been 3 or 4 updates. So the 8GB version cannot have very much space left over. The first day update left 3.1 GB of space on the Basic. It's been only 6 months since launch. Nintendo is right to recall and get rid of the Basic set.

So if for some reason you want a 8GB Basic Wii U. you have 2 weeks to buy one. Nintendo will stick with just the 32GB SKU. I cannot see them releasing a 64GB or 128GB flash model. Since you can use any exturnal HDD with the Wii U.

The 8GB was really selling to begin with.

#42 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

dvader654

The game looks like fun but I seriously doubt it's on the same level as the best sandbox games of this generation anymore than I would think the Lego superhero games could be compared favorably with something like Batman: Arkham City.

#43 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -

The game looks like fun but I seriously doubt it's on the same level as the best sandbox games of this generation anymore than I would think the Lego superhero games could be compared favorably with something like Batman: Arkham City.Grammaton-Cleric

I think the fact that it's the single decent original game to come out on Wii U from launch till now has more to do with it's reception by the fanbase as anything else.  Aside from this their is a port of Monster Hunter 3... and that's pretty much it.

#44 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

scoots9

You can also plug a phone to an external HDD. Doesn't mean it will be particularly useful or convenient for most people.

#45 Posted by HipHopBeats (2861 posts) -

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

dvader654

What's even more hilarious is that people actually went out and brought a current gen gaming console with only 8 GB HDD.